Creative Nail Design Vinylux - Impossibly Plush

3.5

on 6/29/2014 8:59:00 AM

Well my first review - something I am currently wearing.

To start with: Vinylux 7 day wear polish does not guarantee 7 days. Yes, it is slightly misleading, but it offers UP TO 7 days of wear; in other words, if your nails are perfect then you will more likely get 7 days. Mine are, sadly, not but I do still get 5-6 days.

In the UK, Vinylux RRP is 9.95 per bottle or 15.95 for a colour and topcoat purchased together. Depending on your budget/personal preferences this may or may not be expensive; However, I paid 17.50 for a bottle of Chanel Vernis Ongles - and it genuinely doesn't last more than 24 hours on my nails. Therefore, Vinylux is a far better purchase for me - both in terms of wear AND value for money.

When I apply polish, I always prepare my nails by pushing back my cuticles and remove excess oils and contaminants with a nail preparation (I use scrubfresh, but you can use acetone). Then I apply 2 coats of colour and then a topcoat.

The colours contain a formula which anchor the colour to the nail which means you don't need base coat. The top coat has new technology which makes it harden with continued exposure to light (general light, not uv lamps). As most people do, sometimes I leave polish on my toes for a while. Due to this daylight technology, the vinylux becomes a right pain in the posterior to remove - the best way is to saturate a cotton pad with an acetone-based remover and leave it on the nail for 10 seconds. Rock gently from side to side and then swipe off the nail.

In the end, your choosing this product or one of the myriad of others out there will be based on 2 things:-
1) Do you like the colours?
2) Is the 9.95 (or 15.95 for 2) price tag around or less than you normally pay?

As for this particular colour, I adore this soft greige which is painfully on trend this season (it was all over the catwalk this spring/summer). It's a classic colour which will last through many seasons.

If you're a purchaser of Chanel/Tom Ford, et al, then give Vinylux a go - brand new formula for a lot less than the cost of a designer polish.

on 12/25/2013 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I am going to write this as a journal - to give an idea of whether 7 days is attainable or hooey.

It's Christmas day; Santa put Impossibly Plush and Lavishly Loved, plus the 7 day topcoat in my stocking. After consulting the elves, they were $11.95 Cdn each with free shipping. In Canada this compares to $4 for Revlon and $10 for Essie. So fairly top end for my neck of the woods.
I just finished painting on Impossibly Plush with topcoat. The colour is a soft greige with silver micro shimmer. Colour in the bottle was fairly true, and two coats is opaque. All went on as normal nail polish, the top coat was maybe a smidge thicker than normal. Drying time was about 10 minutes. For the polish alone, the finish was satin. With the topcoat, it was a normal, high gloss shine.

Day 3: no chips, finish still shiny. Activites in the last few days include regular cooking/cleaning/childcare but also making marmalade (peeling grapefruit), snowshoeing and yoga.

Day 4: definite tip wear but no chips. This may be more noticable on a darker colour, but on a neutral it's only noticable by me. Finish shiny. Thought for sure I would chip picking my son's Lego pieces apart but shockingly, nope.
Day 6: Definite wear. Each nail has a thin white line at the very top. The line is uneven, making me notice very small chips. Now, from a distance, it probably still looks okay, but close up, I need a touch up. The finish is still shiny, and if it was any other day, I would let it slide another day, maybe two. It is New Years Eve, so I have to fix this. My constitution will not let me move into the New Year with chipped nails. My mum was on the same experiment, and her nails show major chipping which started on Day 5.

Bottom line: the colour is lovely, the finish stayed shiny, and five days of good wear is longer than I get out of most polishes. For me, the real question is, does this justify almost $12 and having to order online. I'm going to stay with 3 lippies and keep trying out my 2 shades. Not ordering more at this point. Next week: head to head, Vinylux Lavishly Loved vs Essie's Sugar Daddy in a chip off.

on 8/31/2013 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Couldn't disagree more with the reviewer below. Mine chips after 24 hours...totally a waste of money. I've tried several shades and they all chip pretty fast... So disappointed.

on 8/14/2013 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I wrote a huge, long entry about Vinylux overall. In my opinion, its a huge game changer, as - at least on me - it does last the full 7 days without the possible damage of Shellac. My fellow reviewers all seemed to agree. This post is for the color Impossibly Plush specifically. Its an amazing color for fall - a cool toned greige. In the bottle is looks whatevs, but on its truly lovely.

PROS:
- Great color for fall - on trend but completely work appropriate
- Universal color - this could work on fair, medium, olive or darker lovelies -- different effects, but equally beautiful
- Good basic which can be layered with other colors (i.e. a shimmer, black tips, etc)
- Creamy application - two coats to opaque
- Long lasting - so far the formula is holding and I love it!
CONS:
- Not quite the shine of a gel, almost like a satin finish - even with the topcoat
- Doesn't do much to help with any ridges or nail imperfections - you really need to have healthy nails and buff any ridges beforehand

A definite must in my opinion for fall!

Vinylux Posts: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=163111/Vinylux-Weekly-Polish/Creative-Nail-Design/Nails

Popular Polishes