Marc Jacobs Lash Lifter - Gel Volume Mascara in Blacquer

3.0

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been absolutely in LOVE with Marc Jacobs beauty products since the Re(Marc)able concealer was recommended to me. I own a few brushes and have tried the foundation several times, though never bought a full sized version. The packaging on MJ products is always so chic and luxurious and are generally one of the more affordable brands available at Sephora. This mascara was interesting to me because it is truly a gel, making the formulation noticeably different than other mascaras. I really enjoyed it during the first week or two of use; I found it light and mousse-y and easy to work with. After those two weeks or so went by, the formula became increasingly thicker and more difficult to work with. As one reviewer mentioned, honey-like. Naturally this lead to clumping and uneven application. I'll say maybe if the brush was different, maybe more of a comb-type of brush instead of the large, lush kind, maybe it would be more easy to work with? Part of me still enjoyed this mascara, even though I did not get the use out of it I hoped for, but definitely try to sample this before purchasing. It's not for everyone!

on 1/6/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

To be completely honest, this mascara is pretty terrible. It's got a very sticky, honey like consistency. It made my lashes clump and stick together terribly. It doesn't apply evenly for some reason. after pulling the brush through my lashes, some will have mascara on them and others are still bare. And when I try to add a second coat the mascara just sticks to itself and clumps worse. Needless to say, it is impossible to build volume with this product. It lengthened my lashes a little bit, into thin pointy spikes because they were stuck to each other. Really this product had zero redeeming value to me.

on 11/6/2014 7:46:00 AM

I have tried them all - Christian Dior, YSL, Chanel, MAC, Laura Mercier, Benefit, and the list goes on... BUT THIS. THIS MASCARA is amazing. First of all, I have lashes, but they need volume. This coats the lashes, doesn't look dry, looks completely natural but opens my eyes up like no other. It doesn't clump. It doesn't smear. I don't look like a racoon after wearing it all day. It comes off with eye makeup remover. It has no scent. It's the first mascara that doesn't seem to leave my lashes brittle. I love it and will buy again and again. BRAVO MARC JACOBS!!!

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

I got this as a sample, and am soo glad I didn't pay for it because this is NOT worth $30 to me, or even half that. The brush is meh, the formula is not as wet as I thought it'd be, rather dry actually, and it did little for volumizing my lashes. Poor performance and poor formula at a high price tag? Sorry Marc, I'll pass on this one. It didn't smudge though, so two stars....you could do worse than this.

Edit: To those who log on to MUA just to write a glowing review on 1 product that the company paid you for, shameeee on you! I hate clicking on someone's name to see that they only wrote one obviously paid for review, ugh!

on 8/31/2014 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm glad that this mascara was a sample I received, because if I had purchased this mascara...it would have been returned.

This mascara as almost a tar like feel to it. I find I can only use it on my top lashes. Too heavy for my bottom lashes. With use, this ring of "plastic crud" started forming at the edge of the tube opening. Gross. Washes offs with my cleansing oil in Clumps.

Only plus...it's a deep true black mascara. Didn't work for me.

on 7/18/2014 10:32:00 PM

I'm kind of on the fence about this mascara...I can't decide whether or not I like it. On the plus side, I like the brush and the formula. It's very black and you can definitely see lashes that don't usually show up. It's long lasting, and even after 8 hours of sweating in 90 degree plus heat, there was no smudging, flaking or running, and my lashes looked as good as when it was freshly applied. The only Con, and it's a significant one, is that it causes lashed to stick together, especially when adding second and third coats. I'm not sure if I'm just waiting too long, using too much...I can't tell. I don't care for the idea of having to tease lashes apart...IMO an unnecessary step...the brush should do that. IF I can get the hang of applying this without lashes sticking together, I can see myself using this a lot. If not, the search will continue for my HG mascara.
EDIT***The search will continue. After using this on a longer term basis, I can say that I don't like it at all. It's difficult to remove - it comes off in chunks, and I'm noticing lashes are falling out. I discontinued use, and will more than likely toss it. Adjusting review to 2 stars.

on 5/16/2014 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is the worst mascara I have ever used. Every other kind could be fixed by combing or applying another brand on top. This one is so horrific that I had no choice but to remove it right away. My Bioderma micelle water took it off in long black hard strings and chunks. How best to describe this horror except by listing its characteristics:

- It is a tarry, gummy substance and the brush is ill-equipped to distribute it through the lashes.
- It weighs down the lashes heavily and feels gross.
- There is no way to avoid creating giant, plastic, immovable clumps before it dries.
- It's not a matter of one, two, or three coats like any other normal mascara. Its tarry, goopy texture makes it a battle to apply it at all before it clumps and dries several lashes together.
- It is particularly bad on the lower lashes. It really should be applied one lash at a time with a tiny paint brush but there is no way I am going to let it anywhere near my eyes again.
- I don't think I have ever hated a mascara so much that I returned it. I have to return this one, because it is such a terrible product.
- It should have been called "Extreme doll eye lashes - be careful what you wish for."

I thought I could repair it by loosening the clumped together lashes but when I did, the black gunk slid off leaving several lashes stuck together in a long point.

This is unbelievably strange and unpleasant in every possible way. The lashes actually did look very good in the pictures I took, except for the clump which I could not remove. In the mirror, they look terrible - like staring doll eye lashes glued on. I used a magnifying mirror, a delicate touch and extreme care when I applied it. I don't slap it on carelessly, and I expected to love this mascara based on the rave reviews.

I can imagine who it would be good for - a young person with long lashes who just wants to enhance them. It's possible that the sparseness of my short lashes made it impossible to work its lacquer magic. Yet many other brands do work for me. Even the ones I was most critical of seem good to me now. PS this cost over $30. Yet I would say even the absolute crummiest mascara in the world - say a dollar store brand - would be more useful than this.

Update: Sephora took it back without any problem. What a relief.

on 5/12/2014 11:25:00 AM

I have no idea why the reviews on this are so low. This is the best mascara I've ever used. It doesn't create a lot of volume, but it looks SO natural, it's like the mascara equivalent of YLBB. (your lashes but better?)

It doesn't clump, ever. Application is foolproof. I like how the gel looks, it makes my lashes look glossy. And it DOES NOT SMUDGE. At all! I've even cried through it and as long as you don't rub your eyes, it stays put and doesn't run.

That said, it comes off perfectly with just micellar water, so that's all I use on my eyes now. Last night I tried using waterproof eye makeup remover and it was actually harder to get off with that, so I'd stick to water based products for removal.

I hope you all keep not buying this so the price stays low for me:)

on 4/16/2014 2:16:00 PM

I freaking LOVE this mascara!! So much more than I expected to, but I find myself reaching for this one almost every day.
The gel formula really COATS every single lash so easily and it provides the perfect balance of volume, length, and definition. A slightly dramatic and yet very clean look. Inky black color. And absolutely no smudging or flaking whatsoever.
I love trying different mascaras, this is one of my new favorites. Yes I will buy this again!

on 2/21/2014 6:56:00 PM

I tried this at the Sephora a few days ago on naked lashes. I even used their disposable applicator wand and my eyelashes looked adorable. They were curled the day before and its like this mascara reminded them to curl properly sans a lash curler. No flaking, easy application, and easy removal. Loved it and plan on purchasing asap.