July 23, 2014 | 2061 users online

Mascara - Marc Jacobs - Lash Lifter - Gel Volume Mascara in Blacquer

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Halloqueen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm kind of on the fence about this mascara...I can't decide whether or not I like it. On the plus side, I like the brush and the formula. It's very black and you can definitely see lashes that don't usually show up. It's long lasting, and even after 8 hours of sweating in 90 degree plus heat, there was no smudging, flaking or running, and my lashes looked as good as when it was freshly applied. The only Con, and it's a significant one, is that it causes lashed to stick together, especially when adding second and third coats. I'm not sure if I'm just waiting too long, using too much...I can't tell. I don't care for the idea of having to tease lashes apart...IMO an unnecessary step...the brush should do that. IF I can get the hang of applying this without lashes sticking together, I can see myself using this a lot. If not, the search will continue for my HG mascara.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2014 11:36:00 AM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the worst mascara I have ever used. Every other kind could be fixed by combing or applying another brand on top. This one is so horrific that I had no choice but to remove it right away. My Bioderma micelle water took it off in long black hard strings and chunks. How best to describe this horror except by listing its characteristics:

- It is a tarry, gummy substance and the brush is ill-equipped to distribute it through the lashes.
- It weighs down the lashes heavily and feels gross.
- There is no way to avoid creating giant, plastic, immovable clumps before it dries.
- It's not a matter of one, two, or three coats like any other normal mascara. Its tarry, goopy texture makes it a battle to apply it at all before it clumps and dries several lashes together.
- It is particularly bad on the lower lashes. It really should be applied one lash at a time with a tiny paint brush but there is no way I am going to let it anywhere near my eyes again.
- I don't think I have ever hated a mascara so much that I returned it. I have to return this one, because it is such a terrible product.
- It should have been called "Extreme doll eye lashes - be careful what you wish for."

I thought I could repair it by loosening the clumped together lashes but when I did, the black gunk slid off leaving several lashes stuck together in a long point.

This is unbelievably strange and unpleasant in every possible way. The lashes actually did look very good in the pictures I took, except for the clump which I could not remove. In the mirror, they look terrible - like staring doll eye lashes glued on. I used a magnifying mirror, a delicate touch and extreme care when I applied it. I don't slap it on carelessly, and I expected to love this mascara based on the rave reviews.

I can imagine who it would be good for - a young person with long lashes who just wants to enhance them. It's possible that the sparseness of my short lashes made it impossible to work its lacquer magic. Yet many other brands do work for me. Even the ones I was most critical of seem good to me now. PS this cost over $30. Yet I would say even the absolute crummiest mascara in the world - say a dollar store brand - would be more useful than this.

Update: Sephora took it back without any problem. What a relief.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 11:25:00 AM More reviews by Imaphek

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have no idea why the reviews on this are so low. This is the best mascara I've ever used. It doesn't create a lot of volume, but it looks SO natural, it's like the mascara equivalent of YLBB. (your lashes but better?)

It doesn't clump, ever. Application is foolproof. I like how the gel looks, it makes my lashes look glossy. And it DOES NOT SMUDGE. At all! I've even cried through it and as long as you don't rub your eyes, it stays put and doesn't run.

That said, it comes off perfectly with just micellar water, so that's all I use on my eyes now. Last night I tried using waterproof eye makeup remover and it was actually harder to get off with that, so I'd stick to water based products for removal.

I hope you all keep not buying this so the price stays low for me:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

I freaking LOVE this mascara!! So much more than I expected to, but I find myself reaching for this one almost every day.
The gel formula really COATS every single lash so easily and it provides the perfect balance of volume, length, and definition. A slightly dramatic and yet very clean look. Inky black color. And absolutely no smudging or flaking whatsoever.
I love trying different mascaras, this is one of my new favorites. Yes I will buy this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 6:56:00 PM More reviews by bluemoods

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I tried this at the Sephora a few days ago on naked lashes. I even used their disposable applicator wand and my eyelashes looked adorable. They were curled the day before and its like this mascara reminded them to curl properly sans a lash curler. No flaking, easy application, and easy removal. Loved it and plan on purchasing asap.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 1:17:00 PM More reviews by heidishiu

This is a VERY nice mascara, it won't give you a very dramatic lashes, but if you are looking for a natural clean lashes, this is for you. It has a gel like consistency, very easy to apply, and it stay put beautifuly. The only mascara that I ever use is truly "raccoon eyes proof". A tad bit on the expensive side, but worth every penny in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by JRussellMUA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I read every single review of this product and even the ones praising this product don't give credit to this amazing mascara. To the people reviewing this product negatively, it is essential to know that having flawless lashes requires more effort than applying mascara in the car on the way to work...I have fine, straight, fair lashes and this mascara has become my favorite out of EVERY mascara I have ever used. I was once a fan of DiorShow and DiorShow Iconic and both are great but they are not black enough and they can look very dry on. I have used many MAC and Laura Mercier mascaras and they too look dry, almost dusty; even their extreme black formulas. I have used Chanel Inimitable and Le Volume and they are super clumpy and hard to remove.

The Marc Jacobs Lash Lifter Gel mascara is my new one and only. I use two coats and I have curled, longer, fuller, darker lashes. The brush has different lengths of bristles depending on the angle at which you apply it so you need to be conscious of that to insure that your lashes look their best. There is a shorter side and a longer side. The shorter adds volume and the longer adds length and separation.

I apologize in advance to the naysayers, but you must not know what quality mascara is. At only $26 USD, I feel like I get that back in the compliments I receive EVERY time I wear this mascara. Plus I have such a boost in my confidence when I have it on.

The packaging is chic, modern, and minimalistic. It's not tacky and kitchy like every drugstore mascara I have seen...

If you are looking for an AMAZING high fashion all-encompassing mascara, then this is for you. If you want crusty, clumpy, dusty looking lashes; choose something else. AND REMEMBER...flawless lashes take a bit more effort than jabbing it on in the car.

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2014 3:35:00 PM More reviews by apowerfulbeat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a deluxe sample of this as a Sephora 100 point perk and didn't love it at first. It is a very wet formula so it worked better for me as it dried out. It does add a good amount of length and volume but it works well as an everyday mascara. It did, however, peel off in long strands when I was taking it off my lashes at night and it did start to clump up in the tube the longer I had it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by callire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Overall, this mascara is very disappointing. On the plus side, it goes on super dark and does a decent job of lengthening my lashes. It also lasts all day without flaking/smudging (a feat for me) and comes off easily with warm water (I'm an absolute sucker for tube mascaras and this has the same feel when it comes off). Now for the negatives: It looks icky. Like my lashes are shiny spider legs. The first coat goes on okay, albeit without adding any volume, but the second makes my lashes clump together and look super gross. So the first coat makes my lashes black and semi-long, but that's about it. Very lackluster result overall with one coat, two coats puts it in Halloween territory. The packaging is also pretty bad (although I'm using a sample size), because I keep getting globs of the gel on the end of the brush or in the neck of the tube. Ugh. Overall, I gave it 2 stars because it's functional, but I think for the price I definitely wouldn't buy a full sized tube or recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 2:05:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

Yes yes and more yes to this smudgeproof, blackest, defining, long-wear mascara. It is an absolute new HG for my short, straight, stubborn Asian lashes. It holds a curl and adds mega length, and definition, not volume, which is my preference as volumizing mascaras always weigh down my wimpy lashes making them even sadder.This really creates a wide eyed fluttery pretty look and from 7am departure to 8pm home arrival, no smduges at all on the tops of my cheeks. Think YSL Baby Doll, but a million times better, lol, and no smudging. It also washes off super easy, easier than Clinique's warm-water removal formulas and other tubular formulas too. Definitely potential to clump if am lazy, but as long as I dab the tip on a tissue before applying and carefully swipe my standard 3-4 coats, no spider lashes for me. Love and hope other straight-lashed guys and gals have the same success!