November 24, 2014 | 1903 users online

Skincare - Face - Shea Moisture - African Black Soap Acne Care Kit

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Jamael08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I agree with CordulaM I thought this kit was "God's Gift to Earth" because I've come to realize that my skin works best with natural products, especially black soap. That was until after I bought it, I realized that all the products except the black soap have salicylic acid in them. That is the very ingredient I was trying to avoid because I had a feeling it was the one my skin didn't like. The kit worked well at first but then I started getting random pimples. So the only item I endorse is the SheaMoisture Black Soap. I suggest looking into the Nubian Heritage line which is very similar except the really do use ALL natural ingredients. They don't have the Black Soap toner, mask, and scrub but they do have the soap, lotions, washes, and butters which I plan to use as a facial moisturizer to replace the SheaMoisture one. Since I recently bought the kit, I may still try to finish using the mask and scrub just to use it all up. I researched and read that in products like these, the salicylic acid doesn't have enough time to really penetrate so I think they may be ok. I'll follow with a toner to be sure though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Update: I don't think I can use this. In the end, I think I react to salicylic acid. I had that feeling for a while but was never sure since most of the products with it also have properties that help my skin. But it's in all the products except the soap. So for that, I have a separate review and it also turned out not to work perfectly for me but seems the most usable for the average person. They are good products, I just can't use them, sadly. They are some of the more natural products, I've tried too. I had to return the kit. I've been having better luck with just the soap and cocoa butter vaseline/jojoba oil and egg masks. Original review is below.

Yes yes oh my god yes. I NEVER in a million years thought I would use this, just because I've tried sooo many products, and they never work. But I was getting into this line and had coupons so I tried the black soap. I wrote a glimmering review for that alone, and thought it was amazing on body AND face. So when I heard about this/saw the individual items I was curious, did some research and figured, the box is the price of like one and a half of the pieces, might as well get it. (They retail for about $10 individually, except the soap which is like $5) With a sale and coupon, it came out to the price of just one of them. Can't loose. But I didn't expect to like it this much.

First, the soap, I reviewed already so I won't go crazy, but it is seriously the best thing ever and you hardly even NEED anything else, it's that good. In the past, my skin was so bad that it was hard to cut down because everything broke me out and nothing healed me. I kept having cysts and bumps and dry patches, it was HELL. This alone is amazing and my favorite. It smells nice and lathers well. It's really moisturizing too.

The moisturizer, I have to totally disagree with the other reviewer. I love love LOVE it!!!!!!! It has a medicinal/herbal smell, just like the scrub does, but I don't mind it since I'm used to that kind of smell in some cholesterol treatments for hair or other ethnic products I use. Plus I've been using sulfur for the past year and that was WAY WORSE lol. So I am extremely cautious of moisturizer because I think they all break me out. But this moisturizer does not AT ALL! It makes my skin even softer than the soap, if that's possible and I haven't broken out since. It has salicylic acid in it which I think my skin is ok with, but most products have some sort of ingredient to 'deliver it' into your skin that doesn't agree with me. This works. I just feel it penetrates and softens better than anything I've ever tried. I will keep an eye on it though, to see if I do develop any bumps, since I have been hot and cold with Salicylic acid products in the past.

I'll be honest and admit I haven't use the mask that much yet, just on a spot. I haven't needed it yet! Which is a miracle on it's own. But I hear it's one of the best so I'm sure it will live up. Will let you know ;) It smells kinda like play doh lol. After using this, I found it to be ok, I liked the soap better.

The scrub is super gentle and a little lathery too. It's not a harsh scrub by any means. Again, I feel like you don't even need this and the soap but hey, why not. I've used it a couple of times and no reactions or issues, maybe some help getting flakes off. No complaints :) It smells like the moisturizer, herbal, medicinal.

I still have some scabs from before but none of my extracted areas had reinfected since starting this and I haven't gotten a single break out. No bumps, nothing. I'm in love with this line and want to post an image of my skin change. I just want to give it a little while longer to heal but if it does, I will. :D

rated 3 of 5 on 8/11/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by sadie11

I am a huge fan of Shea Moisture and though I would give this a try since they are pretty much the only brand I have found that literally has ONLY natural ingredients! If you have never heard of them go check them out!

First this kit comes with the soap bar, the facial scrub, the cream mask, and then the lotion. Over all this really didnt do anything for me....it didnt make my acne better but then it didnt make it worse. (I am a post-accutane user by the way -- i just need something to control the pimples i still get). It did however make my face way more oily than it usually is!! I just couldnt deal put up with it so went back to my staple AcneFree sensitive face wash.

The bar soap is pretty good. It gets a nice, squeaky clean face and is easy to use on back or chest acne. I will probably repurchase this as a single item in the future

The facial scrub is pretty good too, but not any better than St. Ives scrubs so probably wont be repurchasing

The lotion is by far the worst thing in this package and i am pretty sure is the cause for most of the extra oil i get with this kit. It goes on thick no matter how little you use and will NOT soak in!! tried everything but wouldn't. It just sits on your face as a heavy layer and dont even think about trying to put makeup on over it!

Now I saved the best for last....the cream mask!!!!! this stuff is AMAZING!!!!!!!! Goes on easy and you can feel it tingling and cleaning your face!! when you take it off your face is tight, clean, and redness is gone, skin tone is even!!! I recently bought that supposedly "miracle" face mask that all the stars use called GlamGlow super mud. I am ashamed to say i spent $60 dollars on the stupid thing...it does nothing!! This cream mask blows that stuff out of the water!! I will be an avid life user of this stuff for as long as they make it!!!

Hope this helped and happy beauty shopping!! :)