April 16, 2014 | 1992 users online

Sunscreen - Paula's Choice - RESIST Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2014 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Athena2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have dry skin and I don't like the feel of sunscreen on my face, nor the smell of sunscreen that is supposed to be unscented. I was using the Resist Cellular Defense SPF 25, but I could still feel it on my face an hour after I put it on, so I bought this. For the most part, I was very happy with it. I don't wear foundation, so the tint is really nice; there is absolutely no white cast. Paula's Choice says that does not not provide any coverage, but my skin is very pale and it definitely adds a tint to my skin (which is fine with me because it helps to even out my skin tone). Of course, the bad news about using a non-greasy sunscreen on dry skin is that it doesn't really moisturize, and my new retinol serum is causing some flaking. I found a solution, though.

I have been thoroughly mixing the two Resist sunscreens in my palm before application for the past few days, and it's been perfect for me. It soaks right in, there is no smell, it doesn't leave a white cast, it provides some moisture, and my skin feels soft after I put it on. This is the first time in my life I haven't dreaded putting sunscreen on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by Empyrean_Luminary

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a really nice, effective sunscreen for normal to oily skin. My skin tends to be on the normal to dry range so this sunscreen tends to be a bit drying (definitely no shine or oil!) and it dries to a matte finish. I like the tint as it removes any whitish cast, and I also like that it's a Zinc Oxide formula! It is pretty pricey for a Paula's Choice product ($27 for 2oz.) so I will probably put this in rotation with less expensive facial sunscreens with moisturizer (Olay, etc). Even though the package says "moisturizer" on it, I don't feel dewy or moisturized, but no biggie because the sun protection is phenomenal, and when we get down to it, that's what we all really want, right?

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Bunnylopez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I suffer from dry skin above my lips and jawline, so I use this on top of kora organics rosehip oil and it's the perfect combination. It's dries up matte and makes my face appear brighter. It's thin and has the perfect amount of tint for my complexion. It's perfect under makeup. Def my new HG face lotion!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2014 4:33:00 PM More reviews by priyaj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Where has this been all my life? Paula's Choice products are either hit or miss for me and this is definitely a HIT - It's the best moisturizer/sunscreen combo I've tried by far. The texture is silky and it glides on smoothly and the best part is that it dries matte!! (I won't accept anything other than matte). My skintone is dark (NC 45/ MUFE 173) and at first when I squirted this out, a feeling of dread came over me because of the beige-toned color of the product. I thought it was going to make me look like a ghost-face, but surprisingly, the product actually blended in pretty well. I only use a pea-sized amount. My face looks slightly made-up after I put this on, like I'm wearing some sort of light makeup or BB cream which I like but I would prefer no tint because it does make my face a little lighter. I have dry skin, so I wear it over another moisturizer and I have no problems. It's also great that it has added antioxidants and Paula claims that it will visibly reduce wrinkles and dark spots (haven't used it long enough to judge that, but ok). I have only worn it in the winter, so I can't comment on how well it holds up in the heat. Fragrance-free, paraben-free, no dyes. Finally found a product that will get me to wear sunscreen on a daily basis.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 7:19:00 PM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Probably the best mineral sunscreen I've tried in the past 5 years, especially considering I have oily/combo skin and the majority of mineral sunscreens SPF 30 and over are thick, feel tacky, ball up on skin, cause weird dry patches, give a white cast, or make me super oily.

I like the Hydralight Mineral SPF 30 from Paula's Choice as well, using it this winter feels perfect but as I mentioned in that review, I don't think someone with oily skin needs that much moisture, especially in summer. This has a bit of a more matte feel for me. Some people might feel like it is dry or that it looks flaky, depending on your skin texture. I definitely recommend using a serum or lightweight toner before mineral sunscreens, it does help smooth things out!

This gives the light coverage of most American BB creams (I'm around NC/NW 20) but looks much better on my skin (does not make pores/wrinkles look huge like a lot of BB/CC's do) and is perfect to layer some MMU over for my everyday look. I could see how some might NOT like this as a step before liquid foundation since this is tinted and has a matte finish. The great thing about this is that it dries much faster that most physical sunscreens so it fits in perfect with my minimal makeup routine and the time I have to get ready in the AM.

Zinc oxide is the only 'screen here, and this has quite a few anti-oxidants in it as well. I'm not out in the sun that much so I don't feel like I need super high protection. No breakouts or clogged pores yet, which I know tend to happen with mineral sunscreen, if I experience any I will update my review. I am happy with this product and don't anticipate switching any time soon. HTH!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 11:14:00 AM More reviews by elijes

Definitely my HG sunscreen product! I wear this over a light gel moisturizer and it has not been overly drying like other physical sunscreens I have tried out in the winter. It also doesn't feel heavy on my face and the light tint evens out my skin tone!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I despise sunscreen. There - I've said it. When Paula introduced this product, I ordered several samples and was pleasantly surprised ~ no thick, goopy, heavy texture, no ghost white cast . . . I thought I'd found my HG, and so during a recent sale, I ordered the full size tube.

Sadly, after using this consistenly, I began to develop little bumps on my cheeks as well as clogged pores. I can't say I'm completely surprised, because cyclopentasiloxane is the second ingredient, followed by other silicones that tend to be less problematic for my skin.

Overall I think this is one of the best SPFs on the market, particulary if your skin can tolerate silicone-based products. In my experience, my skin is MUCH clearer and smoother when I avoid them, and when I apply fewer products in general. (All that layering Paula recommends - toner, BHA, C serum, antioxidant serum, SPF - wrecks havoc on my skin. Not to mention, I simply don't have that kind of time in the morning.)

For the time being, I'm laying off of SPFs. Whatever protection I get from my mineral makeup is sufficient for the limited amount of sun I'm exposed to on a daily basis. (Personally, I think fear of the sun has been blown way out of proportion, but that's just my opinion.)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by LucyLastName

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Paula's Choice products, but this one is not for me. It was aimed at people with my skin type, but didn't work out.
I have oily to combination skin (more oily during summer) and I've been dying to find a mineral sunscreen that would not clog my pores. I've tried PC Hydralight Mineral Sunscreen (which used to be their handcream) and my skin liked it a lot better. Here is my review:

Pros:
fantastic silky texture going on
no white cast
fantastic ingredients

Cons:
clogs my pores every time (tried it on half my face to check several times)
changes tint after a while - becomes maybe slightly oxidized?
drying
expensive

I can put up with most of the cons, but not the clogging of pores. I find that their other mineral sunscreen did a slightly better job (albeit not perfect - I still had some clogged pores, but not as much and it wasn't as drying, the white cast I easily covered up with powder)

Overall, anyone with regular to oily skin who is not make up prone and has an olivy shade to their skin might actually love this.
This is the first product from Paula's Choice that I would not repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by veronicacolombia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am on the fence with this product. On the one side, if you look for a physical sunscreen based solely on zinc oxide that does not turn your face into an oily mess and do not mind the fact that it sits on your skin, you probably will be happy with it. With 13% zinc oxide it gives you a good, although not the highest protection. On the other side, the fact that it sits on my skin and is tacky - as every other physical ss - bothers me and I will never apply any foundation on top - particularly any one I need to buff in... (A physical ss obviously needs to sit on a skin, otherwise it doesn't work properly - that is why buffing a foundation over a ss is in my opinion a big mistake as you basically wipe off the ss protection!). Recently I prefer chemical ss as they can easily sink into the skin and I can put on the top whatever I want. In the end, it is tied to your preferences. This ss is however the best physical one, I have ever came across and I will keep buying it. It is tinted, but the color disappears on the skin within seconds.
... I have a feeling that it makes my face looking a bit dull (if you put 3/4 of a tea spoon), but I need to take a closer look at it. For dry skin this would probably be not enough moisture when considered as a daily moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2014 10:37:00 AM More reviews by Deandra

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think the actual name is RESIST Super-Light Daily Defense SPF 30, so perhaps the name on the packaging was adjusted, but this is definitely the same product. The active SPF ingredient is 13% zinc, which makes it ideal for sensitive skin. Paula's formula is non-greasy, not heavy at all. I have combination skin, and I've been using this for a few months like a primer under foundation, which is nice when your foundation doesn't include SPF. The SPF 30 is high enough to protect you in most situations - obviously you could need more if you are going to spend the entire day in the sun doing sports. But for most of us, this is ample protection. The tint is great for light to medium skin tones, neutral so it doesn't interfere with the color of your foundation. Zinc oxide is one of the most effective sunscreen ingredients and it's a physical barrier rather than a chemical one (avobenzone) but has a characteristic of looking white on the skin, so the added neutral tint prevents that from happening. At $27, I think the value is better than many department store options and I use a different, cheaper sunscreen for the body. It is great to find a weightless sunscreen for the face that does not cause irritation or breakouts. This is my favorite facial sunscreen from the Paula's Choice line. Also contains a few anti-aging ingredients for added benefit.