October 22, 2014 | 1847 users online

Foundations - Marc Jacobs - Genius Gel Super-Charged Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

I tried one of the cardboard mailer samples first, then I went to Sephora for a larger sample before I committed to the full-size. This is a great foundation! The color I was matched to (medium bisque) is a perfect shade for my light yellow/olive skin. Coverage is light to medium: it can be built up a little but don't expect heavy coverage AND it to remain natural. The formula is light and applies easily: no dragging or piling. It looks wonderful in all lighting, even the dreaded flourescent (and that is nothing short of a miracle!). It stayed put for hours after application and didn't require touching up. It also didn't oxidize (another miracle). My skin has been happy with it: no breakouts or irritation after more than a week of use. The one thing I don't like about the product is its price: as far as foundations go, it's on the higher end of the price scale. But in my opinion, the purchase is worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by PeonyRed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a foundation that looks beautiful, sounds wonderful, and smells like the entire Macy's perfume section that a child just rampaged through. It's such a shame that it's so heavily scented, as the color was light enough for me and the consistency initially seemed nice.
I'm not terribly against scented foundations, as Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua works just fine for me, but this one still smells like perfume when it's been on your hand for a bit. Many people do not react well to perfumes on their face, and there is no point having perfume on your face. None at all. So why do higher up 'fashion' brands always seem to feel the need to heavily fragrance their foundations?? All it causes is irritation of the skin. And frankly, I didn't even like the scent to begin with.
Other than that, the foundation coverage was very sheer, which isn't a problem, but it started streaking on me. It would also come off if I touched my face at all. It was slightly drying, too, although I do have drier skin. Still, I moisturized beforehand, and many other foundations are comfortable for me to wear after doing so.
Other than the color, there was no redeeming quality to this foundation, so I returned it. Too bad!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by GirlyGirl05

My 2nd most favorite brand, after the NARS Sheer Matte.
I find that this looks best with the Benefit Porefessional Primer (As so does everything else) and it keeps y matte and shine free for 12-15 hours! I did not reapply, or put powder or anything. It did give my forehead a little bit of a shine after I hit 12 hours, but with no touch-ups or powder application, that is for most of the foundations.

It also comes with a pump, unlike the NARS, where you have to buy separately.

I don't think this will look good on mature or dry skin. Try YSL Touche' Eclat instead.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by DallasCowgirl

This is just an ok foundation, I did break out after I used it but I'm not sure if it was the foundation or the primer that I used...it gave me a nice look but I have many other cheaper foundations that look better than this foundation. I'm going to continue to use it because I paid so much for it but after it's gone I will not repurchase....

****update*****
Thank God I found the receipt and Sephora doesn't have a days limit on when you can return foundation because this just went back to the store...I gave it a couple more chances but it gave me a fake plastic look, and after about 5 hours it separated all over my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by Perfection91

This is the worst foundation I've tried.
I never really had a drugstore foundation, but I've tried almost all of the foundations in the mid high end market.

The packaging, isn't very attractive either. It somehow looks like a dwarf to begin with, but it gets even less attractive once the cap is off.

Color options are okay. nothing exceptional. most are in the neutral to warm range.
but the color oxidizes into a weird orange color quite soon... so there is really no point in having different colors.

nicely put, its gel type, but rudely put its nothing more than a bunch of silicones.
usually silicone based foundations like Giorgio Armani blends like silk and sits beautifully on the skin. half blends in and half resurfaces the texture of the skin, covering any imperfections.
But this foundation, on my normal to combination skin looked extremely patchy, flat, and heavy. It was very obvious that I was wearing makeup with just one layer.
It felt very heavy and suffocating to the skin, more so than most other foundations, but the coverage is nothing compared to how heavy it feels.

Basically it has everything that a bad foundation would have.
is expensive, patchy, heavy, yet not as pigmented, doesn't blend in and sits on the skin, oxidizes to orange color, looks flat, transfers, is sticky to touch.
there are better foundations out there for lesser price.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2014 1:58:00 AM More reviews by kira1999

This foundation gave my skin a gorgeous look. My skin tone looked even, glowy and natural. I love the gel texture, it makes the foundation unique and very easy to blend. It has a wide colour range, so your colour will be easy to find. I love this foundation so much, but even with primer and setting powder, it only lasted about five hours before it was gone. So if you don't like touching up or need it to last all day, it sing for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by fecktopia

This foundation is just meh on my dry, hyperpigmented skin. I asked the Sephora rep for a full cover but this can be built to medium at best. the gel texture is superb and easily blendable. It masks slight red patches ok but if you have anything to hide a good concealer is a must with this product. Likewise if you have dry skin or even just patches, you are going to want a really good moisturiser and to prime your skin properly before applying the foundation. If I had normal skin with only minor red to hide, I imagine I would love this foundation. It does look natural until any sebum or flakiness take hold during the day, and the foundation just runs or cakes. I also find it doesn't really play well with a light application of powder over the top. Maybe a setting spray would be better. For the price tag it should hold up better than what it does.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by sossom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation! I have tried many high-quality foundations and this one by far is the best. It is medium coverage, last all day and doesn't make me greasy. I honestly am really impressed and I would definitely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by ellenf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I adore this foundation.
My skin is aging (mid-50's) but generally good and "normal".
I wear either Bisque Light or Ivory Medium in this foundation.
The coverage is sheer but THERE....it is that mythical, sought-after product that makes my skin look better without completely masking it.
It wears well for long periods of time and my skin looks just as good when I remove it as when I applied it.
Give this a try if you want foundation that does not look like foundation, but rather, makes you glow.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2014 9:04:00 PM More reviews by gaelgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Not good for dry or sensitive skin. Left flaky patches and coverage was uneven. No staying power either. Not worth the high cost.