April 18, 2014 | 933 users online

Foundations - Marc Jacobs - Genius Gel Super-Charged Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried it this summer 2013. when it launched, but never bothered to write a review. Besides the packaging, nothing else is adorable about it.

LONGEVITY: It started to shine on me after two hours, and needed to be blotted. After 4, 5 hours it started to wear off significantly. The foundation is not for office hours at all. CA, USA, weather.
COLOR: I had trouble finding my color match. I was MUFE 120, and the most similar was Bisque Medium, but despite, wasn't a good color match. It was too beige and not enough clean yellow. I am not too yellow, but beige doesn't suit me. Bisque Light would be a better match if it was a deeper (darker color). It may be a good color match now, tho.
APPLICATION: it is a very runny foundation that needs to be build up to get medium coverage. The second layer should be added after the first dried out completely. The 1st layer coverage is something like BB's Skin Foundation, but with slightly less coverage. Definitely gel texture, light, runny, like a tinted moisturizer with slightly more coverage. I buffed it with a Sephora buffing brush (similar to RT Expert). There's some trouble with buffing and blending. When it sets it may be noticeable and/or cakey looking!
FRAGRANCE: horrible, stark.

The foundation is not worth the price tag. It feels like a drugstore foundation in a expensive packaging. They sure do have to improve the formula - was it said it took them more years to create this formula? I have oily to combination skin - for those with similar skin - opt for any other foundation than this one.

I was thinking about purchasing it, because it looks sooooo luxurious and the description sounded very promising, but decided to go for MUFE HD which is cheaper in comparison, has better coverage, lasts longer and is a good color match for me. I have never thought about MJ foundation again.

The foundation reminds me of Chanel. Both of them miss the formulation but hit the bull's eye with the packaging. I've tried two of Chanel's foundations: VL Aqua & Perfection Lumiere - both didn't last on me. Started to horribly fade in patches within 3, 4 hours of wear. It made me sad, especially with VLA, that on initial application looks so pretty. An alternative I found to VLA is Bourjois CC cream - fab product that lasts me 16hr (it does shine after 2 h).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

I got a sample of this and I fail to see the good in it. I have normal skin, and this made me look really greasy. The color match was good BUT it did not make me look flawless or cover up imperfections. The longevity was a joke. Very disappointed

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:32:00 AM More reviews by Mhrn10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The reason why i gave this product 1 lipstick is just because I can't give it a minus. The product itself, gave me NOTHING. Its very dissapointing, for the price they charged to us, there's nothing special-at all- at least they gave you a fancy packaging and nice smell.

It has no coverage at all, but i still give it a try by applying concealer into spesific area. AND 2 HOURS LATER, IT MELTED AWAY (FYI, i did apply my HG Ben Nye's Final Seal, and i still sat on my room with Air Conditioner is turned on, I dont even finished my hair do!!) I have super oily skin and finally the foundation itself couldn't handle my oily skin much longer, so it melted off, and my face looks just like a clown (even worse). So after this horrible experience, I AM NOT GOING TO REPURCHASE. Forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Erinmh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I picked up a sample of this at sephora. I was really happy that I found a perfect color match (ivory light). I am very fair and have a really hard time finding foundations that are light enough for me, so thank you for that Marc Jacobs. I loved this foundation when I first applied it but i noticed it melting off of my face within a few hours.... It started to look patchy as well and sink into my fine lines. Reminds me too much of loreal true match id almost go as far as saying they're the same product, except one is 4 times more expensive. I was truly bummed because I was hoping this would work for me! I've heard so many rave reviews from people with combo skin I thought it would be perfect. The "long-lasting" claim Marc Jacobs gives this foundation really baffles me. This hardly lasted a 6 hour day I can't imagine it wearing any longer on my skin. Maybe this would be better for short days or special events where you don't need to wear this for long.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by moosue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Quick skin type briefing: My skin is quite oily but also has dry patches (lucky me!).
I'm quite fair and got this in Bisque Light, and it's just a tiny bit dark on me. It would be perfect in the summer, but there was no good match for my winter skin tone.

Scent: There is a fragrance to this, but I didn't even notice it for a long time. It goes away and isn't strong, but if you're really sensitive to scented face products, be aware of that.

Feel: It's quite runny as far as liquid foundations go. I apply it with a dense brush in circular motions and am happy with the appearance on my skin. There does seem to be a slightly slippery feel on the skin, and I don't think this could be worn without setting powder especially if you're oily.

Coverage: Medium. I'm quite happy with the coverage. It covers red areas and discolouration just fine. Of course I need concealer for my under eyes and any really bright red blemishes, but it's just fine for daily wear coverage.

Wear: This is where it loses a star. It looks great, as long as you don't get too warm or do anything strenuous. It gets greasy really easily and when that happens, it does indeed get patchy as many report. Under fluorescent lights it looks the worst after 8 hours of wear, so you'll look patchy and greasy at work but think you look alright once you get into the car or your bathroom at home. Powder fixes it up again.
This definitely doesn't cling to dry patches as much as many other foundations I've tried, but they are noticeable after wearing for awhile.
I think it's kind of a joke that this is marketed by Sephora as being specifically for oily skin when it's so slippery itself.

Oxidation: I do think this oxidizes a little bit, at least on me, to be slightly darker. It's not too noticeable, but it is enough that it seems to match me pretty well when I first apply and by the end of the day it is a tiny bit too dark.

Would I repurchase? Maybe, but I will try a couple of other foundations that I think may be more suitable first.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2014 3:16:00 AM More reviews by Lipstickjunkie4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hated this stuff! I washed, moisturizer and primed my skin as always and put this foundation on. Went to work and within a few hours, it had melted off of my face. I REALLY wanted to love this foundation but it just didn't work out so I returned it. The staying power sucks if you have combo skin. Will not repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

If this foundation is genius about one thing, it's genius about making your skin look its absolute worst. This is without a doubt in the top 5 worst foundations I have ever used. So bad that I didn't wear it for more than 2 hours before taking it off. It was THAT bad. This foundation comes in several shades which may very well be the only redeeming quality because I am incredibly fair skinned and finding a foundation that matches the lightness of my skin has only happened about 3 times and one of those times belongs to this product. I was recommended this foundation because I have oily skin with dry patches and this foundation was supposed to cater to both of those needs. I applied this foundation to my skin with my beauty blender sponge by dabbing it on until I got my desired coverage which only took about one layer since the foundation is medium coverage. The horror started immediately. The foundation was incredibly patchy, clung to all of my dry patches and looked so, so disgustingly powdery despite me not having powdered it at all. It didn't even looked good from far back, you could see all the patchiness from far away and up close it was an absolute disaster. I wore this for 2 hours around my house before I could no longer bear to look at myself in the mirror and took it off. Therefore, I can't comment on the staying power but I can't imagine who would want this on their face long enough to test the staying power anyways. Just a dreadful product and the packing is dead ugly and bulky. I don't know how brands get away with charging $58 for a product like this, what a disgrace to the Marc Jacobs name. I would use my Revlon Colorstay foundation over this any day. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 11:47:00 AM More reviews by sandygr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I first got this product as a sample in Bisque Medium and I liked it very much. However when I bought it I got it in Bisque light and it think it suits me better. I'm surprised that it has so low reviews but I have to say that for me is one of the best foundations ever, it lasts enough and doesn't oxidize. I don't have oily skin but it's normal some oily T-zone depending on the weather. I like the texture and it leaves a silky touch. I have to say that I always use it with a foundation primer. Smashbox and Laura Mercier works really nice with this gel foundation. Don't forget a finishing powder in other to get better results. I'm sure I would buy this again but maybe I'll update my reviews in summer time.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2014 8:02:00 PM More reviews by pitchpatch5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I have very pale skin & rarely do I find a shade that matches, so I was happy to find the lightest shade worked for me. If you rub the foundation between your fingers it feels soft & silky. It applies very nicely but after an hour or two I notice the T-Zone area begins to look broken down, particularly to the left/right area of the nose. I wanted to make this work because its hard to find a good shade match & it cost $48 but it just looks awful it you have any sort of oily skin, & it accentuates dry areas as well, ended up returning it

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Sara44

The foundation was nice to apply and overall was good, but it looked a bit cakey and made me break out in big zits.

Wouldn't buy again, try lingerie de peau by guerlain if you looking for a high quality foundation.