October 24, 2014 | 1811 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2014 12:56:00 AM More reviews by dermagirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another great product from Paula's choice! This really tightens and clears the pores on my nose and smooths the skin on the rest of my face. I love this stuff! It totally refines my skin, gently and effectively. This is a night treatment by the way. I apply at night with cotton balls and when I wake the next morning my skin is fabulous: smooth and supple and redness is actually decreased. It contains a cocktail of great ingredients as all of Paulas products do, and I highly recommend if you have sensitive skin but want to try a chemical exfoliant for blackheads on the nose or just to smooth aging skin. Love!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 10:06:00 AM More reviews by krisco110

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My holy grail skincare item. For pretty much my entire teenage and adult life, I dealt with acne and flaky skin. My first big breakthrough happened when I purchased a clairsonic face brush; the next was purchasing this product a few weeks ago.

The Clairsonic helped with exfoliating to some extent, but it wasn't until I started using this BHA liquid that I noticed a big change in my skin. My skin did take a few days to adjust and purged a bit, but once I got past that initial period, my blackheads disappeared. Two weeks later, they're still gone. AMAZING. The texture of my skin is much smoother, and some of my more major wrinkles are even a little less noticeable.

I use this twice a day. I wash my face with a mild Neutrogena product and the Clairsonic, follow with the Paula's Choice skin balancing toner, then I use the Skin Balancing BHA liquid (sparingly, because too much makes my skin feel really sticky). Depending on what my skin feels like after that, I follow that with some combination of the PC antioxidant serum, Skin Resist light moisturizer, and sunscreen. The sunscreen (Coola matte mineral sunscreen, also a fantastic product) doubles as a primer and usually eliminates any residual stickiness from the BHA liquid.

If you have sensitive, oily/combination skin and deal with any sort of blackheads or flakiness, I highly recommend trying out this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2014 7:49:00 PM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I like it, recommend it and would repurchase it.

My skin was never nice. I always had acne and acne scars (from popping), blackheads, a lot of redness and enlarged pores. I tried a lot of different regimens and products : Dercomclear, Vichy, Eucerin, Lush, Garnier, Nivea Young, Afrodita, Manhattan, Clinique, Himalaya etc., but nothing worked. The major problem was (<1%) Salicylic acid, which dried my skin that much that it produced more sebum and the pimples got more stubborn. The only thing that did work was 10% Benzoyl peroxide, which isn't available (at pharmacies) where I live. Benzoyl peroxide is a true life saver. despite it dried out my skin too much and too deep, it made all those nasty skin reactions (like cystic acne) stop, unclogged all my pores and made my skin look nice and even. The only drawback is that it worked as a bleach, too, meaning it made my face lose some color (couple weeks of using it, I got shade lighter!).

When Paula's Choice got available in my country, I decided to give it a try. When I started using it, I didn't think that the active ingredient was Salicylic acid, ingredient that my skin doesn't tolerate. I used it once a day, just before I went to sleep. I cleaned my face, used a toner, applied this liquid and then Avenue Tryacneal. For the first few weeks it didn't work well: my skin was very dehydrated (applying foundation was a horror story) and uneven. It felt like sand to touch, because of those small bumps that resembled to pimples (they did have those white caps, but were small in size). I did squeeze them, but they were empty (I know it's eww).
I contacted their customer service and told them I had a bad reaction to their product, since I've been using Avene for half a year. They explained me that I should try not using them combined (they explained my why). So, I used each product separately every other night.
I was suspicious that this liquid would work and I hated that my skin was that thirsty. Some nights I would use a very rich cream on top, which did help. When I noticed my skin got used to this liquid, I started using it every night, then added Avene...
Now, after 2 months of using it I am happy to report that my skin got clear. I do get that occasional hormonal or whatever breakout, but my skin looks soft and even. I don't have perfect skin by any means, but I have the skin I always wanted to have: without acne marks, cystic acne (oh, how they used to hurt and look bad), redness caused by acne and pimples, ... I can wear light coverage foundations and my skin looks lovely. I do have a small pimple per day, which is fine with me, since overall my skin looks healthy, normal and clean.

I'm happy I didn't stop using it, though Salicylic acid never worked on me before, though my skin got worse before it got better and despite it made my skin dehydrated (now it's fine).

I use this liquid combined with Avene every night. My skin remained oily during day, so that thing didn't change. I do use an oil free moisturizer in the morning and some nights, eg. every ten days, I use a thick moisturizer on top of them before I go to sleep (depends how my skin feels like).

I recommend it to those who haven't found their HG for getting rid of acne and who tried a lot of brands with no luck. The thing that should be noted is that it gets worse before it gets better, that you shouldn't force if it's too drying (use it every other day in beginning ), that you should use a hydrating moisturizer on top of it in the beginning and that it takes at least two months to see ANY results. But boy oh boy, the results are marvelous.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by ehmvee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've started applying this about 3 weeks ago and now my forehead is flawless.
However I was experiencing a minor breakout the first 2 weeks, and this week I've been getting these large inflamed spots on my cheeks/jaw that hurt, however do come to a head in abut 2 days.
So I don't believe those are "true" cysts, but are simply previous impurities that are being slowly but surely cleared out. So far I've only been using it at night, I will now start using it in the morning as well and will update.

Those spots do clear up in less than 4 days total, so there's still hope. Nose blackheads are still here :(

UPDATE 21/10/2014

Upped usage to twice a day in order to speed up the cleanout and now am experiencing weird really deep blood-filled pimples. :( Lots of painful inflammation on cheeks/jaw but forehead is still clear so am persevering.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2014 1:57:00 PM More reviews by kmclallen

On my ongoing quest for clearing up my acne -- tried EVERYTHING, I thought perhaps this was just another "try" not very hopeful. Paula's Choice does offer samples in almost everything. Tried a few days of this and I could see a change the next day, it was enough to buy the full size and really give it a go. It took a couple of weeks for all the scum to come up from the depths of my skin, some breakouts but nothing really bad, I could see my skin really clearing up, didn't dry me out or burn my skin, now I use if twice a day and my trouble spots are clear -- clear... I never thought i would see the day, can't live without it, I do use this with the Resist Hydrating cleanser and the skin perfector toner -- and a really good moisterizer that I found from Paula's website (anothe brand) but everyone is different just have to find the stuff that works for you but this product is definitely a game changer for me.... good luck everyone..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2014 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Katzie105

I love this stuff. There are a few drawbacks but those are forgiven due to how well this clears up my skin.

I have super sensitive skin that breaks out from literally everything, even blowing wind. This sucks for me because I'm a cosmetics junkie, I will jump on any new product and love to try out makeup, lotions, primers, toners, foundations, etc. Unfortunately, 9/10 times I will break out in huge cysts-- leaving me crying on the floor pounding my hands and feet asking myself "WHY, OH GOD WHY," did I try another new product AGAIN!?

This is where this liquid exfoliant comes into play. Literally overnight my skin will heal with this toner. Acne spots significantly smaller, pores tightened, sebum clogs coming to the surface to be removed.

I had a serious reaction to a Sephora brand compact powder. Acne for WEEKS. Black heads, sebum clogs, cysts, my forehead was godawful. Nothing was clearing it up. Not my Clairsonic, not any face washes that had been effective in the past, not Clean and Clear toner, not witch hazel, not ACV, not clay face masks, not sulfur spot treatments, I was at my wits end until I opened my cabinet and saw this bottle of BHA that I had for some reason forgotten about.

Overnight everything that had been there for weeks suddenly shrivled. It looked like I had no pores. It really is a life saver.

The drawbacks? Extremely drying. I have combination skin, leaning more toward oily. This dries out my face like nobody's business. I'm sure it's just exfoliating the dead skin I had everywhere, but I have to literally tape my skin before applying makeup. (Scotch Magic Tape- to pull off all the dead flaked skin on my nose, chin, jaw line, forehead). I use it once a day, at night. I may cut back to every other day if the dry skin doesn't stop.

I'm also not a fan of the feeling of it. It's thick, and it's oily. It makes me feel kind of gross after I wash my face and put this on but come the morning, it's worked wonders.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 12:27:00 PM More reviews by pratimapeanut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't live without this product, I use it twice a day and really helps keep my skin clear and bright. I never experience any irritation or over drying of the skin by using this so often which is great because I need to exfoliate very regularly. This also 'plays well with others' and never causes flaky skin or pilling even when used with other active ingredients. I don't use a cotton pad to apply as the instructions state because this liquid is just viscous enough to be poured into the palm of my hand and patted on, this also makes the 4 oz. bottle go a long way. I tend to order multiple bottles of this when it's on sale and/or when I have a coupon code to save money and get free shipping.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2014 6:12:00 AM More reviews by frippery

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

A decent BHA, but that's only due to so few choices on the market. I'm not sure, but it seems that there are a lot quite a few film- forming ingredients in this. Unlike the liquid AHA, which has a weightless, water-like formula, this feels a bit slimy, leaves a high shine, and seems clogging (despite the BHA which keeps it in check).

Key Ingredients: methylpropanediol, salicylic acid, green tea, BHA (beta hydroxy acid)

Product Ingredients:
Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by Romyw

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another great product from Paula's choice! This really tightens and clears the pores on my nose and smooths the skin on the rest of my face. I love this stuff! It totally refines my skin, gently and effectively. This is a night treatment by the way. I apply at night with cotton balls and when I wake the next morning my skin is fabulous, smooth, and redness is actually decreased.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Shiahyr

Great product! I have been using Paula Choice's AHA 5% and 8% gel for about a year, and while I did see improvements in my skin tone and pigmentation, I still had an issue with blackheads and some breakouts (not too many but definitely had on my cheeks, forehead and nose). About 2-3 months ago I got a deluxe sample size of the 2% BHA liquid from beauty.com and started using it. Wow, my skin was both much smoother and I have noticed much less blackheads! Now I reach out to the BHA liquid more than I reach out to the 8% AHA because it gives me smoother and clearer skin.

BTW, I looked at Paula Choice's website and I saw that they have a new 2% BHA from the Resist line (anti-aging line), and they say on the website that it was designed for clearer skin + anti-aging, so that will probably be my next purchase.