March 2, 2015 | 1807 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2015 3:15:00 AM More reviews by christyness

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an excellent product, but alas, it isn't for me.

Pros - Amazing at gentle exfoliation of the skin surface AND inside the pores. Leaves skin smooth and softened.

Cons - This is probably not for you if you have dry skin. Because BHA is oil soluble, it can strip the skin of its natural oils. The 2% concentration proved too much for my dry skin. Instead, when I have pimples, I use PC's 1% BHA lotion (which I wish they would make in a liquid form).

Many people swear by this, and even some of my friends have great results with it, but if your skin is dry, I would recommend trying some samples first.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2015 9:09:00 AM More reviews by soonbslim

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I must say that I do not rally care for Paula. I agree with the others that say her reviews are skewed to point you to her products; however, I must say that this product is a winner. I have Rosacea, and lately it has been out of control. Don't know if it is stress or hormones. I tried Finacea, and it did not do a whole lot for me. This product has toned down the redness and even got rid of a stubborn papple I had for almost a year. My skin is refined, smooth, and a lot less red. The combo that seems to be working for me now is Cerave foaming wash, followed by this. Then Olay microsculpting serum, Cerave a.m. or p.m., and Cerave eye cream. It does have some slip to it, as others have noted, but it is definitely not moisturizing. The slip is a non issue once other products are layered on top.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2015 2:04:00 PM More reviews by antiguru

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this last year, full size on sale, due to a blogger's recommendation. I'm not actually sure that it didn't do its designated job because I always gave in and washed it off. You're supposed to (in my understanding) use this as a sort of toner after cleansing. Put it on a cotton round, wipe on, done. But it left my skin feeling very slippery and didn't seem to "dry" or absorb. It bugged me so much, I always had to rinse it off. So, I can't say that it didn't do its job but it certainly didn't with me due to the ick feeling.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2015 1:25:00 PM More reviews by ahmiee29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really and truly wanted to make this work for me. I gave it two chances with almost a year apart until I decided that this makes my skin a living nightmare. I've read such raving reviews for it that I thought it was going to be the solution to my blackheads. Instead, my blackhead have never been more noticeable than when I was using this liquid. I started to break out along my chin and thought maybe its just purging all that nasty stuff away. I gave it several more weeks, and my breakouts got worst. It was painful cystic acne. I usually only get the hormonal breakouts too. So I stopped. I was recently reading a blog and her results with this was amazing so I decided to use it again. I like to learn the hard way, ya know? Anyways, several days in I noticed the breakouts again. I convinced myself (again) that it was purging. Then came the itchy, irritated, and inflamed skin. I was breaking out in places I normally never break out in. My whole face itches. I feel like it never fully absorbs either. It leaves a slight tacky film on my skin. Why did I ever think that it'll magically work for me? I'm really bummed that I didn't get the awesome results like so many people have.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2015 3:55:00 PM More reviews by dededa80

I am 35 and suffer from adult acne and also have super sensitive and dry skin. I've tried so many different creams, lotions, alpha/beta peels, facials, and just anything under the skin to change my skin condition. Nothing really helps, and when it does it is just temporary. I stumple upon this product as I was reading up on Paula's Choice, and my I wish I pick this up a long time ago. You can tell a difference in your skin the next day. My skin is smoother now, black heads around the nose are dimishing and it has controlled my break out. I don't think I ever want to live without this product. It has done amazing things to my skin that I've never experienced before. The overall, packaging, price and product is great. I highly recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2015 5:44:00 AM More reviews by AlexandraN

Have had an interesting journey with this product. Purchased way back in 2012 as an alternative to my Benzoyl Peroxide which kept me 85% clear but was looking for something more. When I swapped out the BzP my skin was not necessarily any better with this produc and left me with a slightly odd shiny finish to my skin. Therefore I swapped back to BzP simply because I preferred my skin to be drier.

After moving back home for the summer this year I watched a video by Wayne Goss (<3) who suggested that Bha and Bzp would work the best in conjunction together. I decided to give it a go, initially my skin burned a lil and in fact it still does occasionally if I used too much product. Although it burns there is never any redness and applying Bzp 10 mins after this product gets rid of the tacky finish.

Anyway two months later and I can say my skin has not been this consistently good since I began using these two products together. My skin is more even and I am 95-100% now. I ran out of the BHA liquid and repurchased another one immediately!

I don't think any one product will save your skin from acne but I definitely believe a good routine will. You need:

1) A gentle cleanser to remove makeup and re-balance skin with nothing thats going to fight acne...you can do that in later steps and avoid irritation
2) This BHA! Perfect consistency to use as a toner. Goes deeper into pores and exfoliates and unplugs pore. Anti-inflammatory too!
3) Benzoyl Peroxide at 2.5% percentage 10 minutes later to kill surface bacteria and oxygenate pores
4) Moisturizer with SPF during the day, General Moisturizer at night to restore balance. Don't think you need to stick to oil-free moisturizers either. By adding good oils to your skin (shea, jojoba, mineral) you are restoring balance and preventing the skin from overworking to create more oil. I like to add Jojoba to my moisturizer at night

This liquid exfoliant is amazing and has honestly changed my skin! I am so much happier having no makeup days now.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by luvhydration

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Penetrates/degunks my skin/pores, whiteheads, blackheads, and papules/pustules. Couldn't be happier with a chemical exfoliant - although I think I'm actually going to buy the gel next time. If this makes your skin feel "greasy", you should probably just use a little less of it and maybe dilute it with water. Thank you Paula for another great CRUELTY-FREE product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2014 2:02:00 AM More reviews by QWERTY2345

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far the most outstanding BHA exfoliant on the market. It dissolves dead skin cells and significantly reduces the amount of blackheads and breakouts I normally get.

Some people complain this product feels a little sticky, thatís because theyíre using too much of it Ė but itís also due to the ingredient responsible for penetrating deeper into the pore. If you prefer a more watery texture, they have the Resist Daily Pore Refining Treatment 2% BHA Ė but according to their customer service, that product isnít as potent as this one. It is a bit pricey ($26), but it lasts around 6 months with daily use. Anyone is welcome to use my referral link for $10 off. http://goo.gl/JmDwaq

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2014 6:26:00 AM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

The only thing i did not like, actually absolutely hated was that i left my skin greasy. Even though i have part dry skin, it still feels ikky and I could not wait to finish it. i'm left with the last few uses, could not get used to it. I've never used a "toner"/liquid exfoliant that feels greasy and it so uncomfortable. I don't know the reason for this but i DO NOT like it and will not repurchase.

That said, this works fine on my skin. I use it every night, Alpha-H liquid gold stink my skin, however i would now dilute it with spring water and it works fine. This did not sting my skin. It did left my skin clear and brighter.

I will get a different formula from Paula's Choice.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by MES

I have dry skin that is clog prone and this made my acne and clogs worse. I like that it's not drying like a lot of other salicylic acid products and it does not sting when applied. I did notice a bit of on on stickiness on my skin after applied this. After a couple days of use I noticed a new pimple forming. After a few more days I had more pimples. I have tried quite a few other products from Paulas Choice and most of them make my skin worse. This seems to be such a great product for so many people, but YMMV I guess.