Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

on 8/20/2015 12:33:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

PROS
-dissolves dead skin cells and significantly reduces the amount of blackheads and breakouts that would normally get clogged up
-alcohol free
-lasts 6-9 months with daily use

CONS
-sticky if overapplied
-Overpriced. Always get it at a discount if you can. Feel free to use my referral link for $10 off. http://goo.gl/JmDwaq

on 8/13/2015 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I am blown away by the efficacy of this product. I bought it, in desperation, because I've struggled with chin cystic acne for three and a half years now. I finally found something that works! I experienced an immediate soothing quality from the treatment upon my first application. The next morning my cysts were less inflamed. Every day it kept getting better until I went to the beach with makeup on! Needless to say, be careful with what you subject your skin to. After my post beach breakout, I faithfully applied this morning and night. Two weeks later I have three tiny pimples that are on the brink of fully healing. I only apply on my t-zone because I started developing small bumps underneath my cheekbones. But this treatment has helped clear out pores and extracting clogged pores has been easier! The small bumps on my forehead have also significantly improved. Every morning I wake up with a glow. I love this stuff and hope pc never goes out of business!!

My skin type: combo, acne-prone, 27 years old, hyper pigmentation from acne

My am routine is this:

-Wash face with water
-boots sensitive skin toner
-bha 2% on t-zone (apply w fingers and pat in)
- vitamin c serum
-Paula's choice clear mattifying spf 30 lotion

My Pm routine is this:
- ponds cold cream to take off makeup (w washcloth)
-Boscia face wash
-bha 2% on t-zone
-neutrogena on the spot acne treatment on forehead
-vitamin c serum
- jojoba oil

** coupon codes! **
- Use my link to receive $10 off your order!: https://goo.gl/OzBeaa (I get $10 credit once your order ships and you get $10 off anyway! Win-win!)
- 20% off code: PRIMP20

on 8/10/2015 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got a sample of this in my monthly birch box. I've been using it for about a week now and so far so good! It absorbs fast, which I like. I just dab it on with a cotton ball, let it dry, and then put on a little moisturizer. When I first started using it I had a huge zit on my chin that ended up healing super fast after I applied this product. Literally overnight! I do feel like this product has improved my skin.

I've been using this product religiously for the last few years and it's a staple in my skincare routine. I have never noticed as much of a significant difference from any other products except this one (I've went a few weeks without it once to see). It brightens and evens out my skin tone, speeds up the hyperpigmentation healing process, and keeps my blackheads under control. :) It's a bit pricey, but it lasts for a good amount of time. I use it daily during my evening routine.

on 8/8/2015 10:15:00 AM

Pros:
+ Absords quickly
+ Deminish enlarged pores
+ Reduce blackheads
+ Make skin smoother

Cons:
+ Have to go through breakout period ( after that my skin is much better )

on 7/23/2015 9:01:00 PM

I have been using this every morning and night for about 3 months now. I was at the dentist Wednesday and the dental hygienist cleaning my teeth, commented on how small my pores are. She cleans my teeth every 3 months. No one has ever told me I have small pores. I had to write a review. It is a bit pricey, but the bottle seems to,last a long time, since it is a liquid formula. Very impressed with the fragrance free and non-stinging formula for 2% BHA.

on 7/11/2015 6:47:00 PM

This product mostly cleared up my moderate acne, but after using it for a few weeks, it began to dry out my skin. I stopped using it for a while, then tried using it occasionally, but that doesn't work well because the product makes my acne worse at first, until I adjust to it. So I'm not using it much. Also, it's very, very sticky. Finally, I don't like the bottle, because it's designed to be used with a cotton ball, which I don't use because I think that's wasteful. Instead, I pour a few drops into my palm and then apply with my fingertips, which makes a bit of a mess, due to the bottle not being designed to pour. Still, it's got good ingredients, does help with acne, and isn't overpriced. Most Paula's Choice products have too many ingredients, a problem if you're sensitive like I am, but this one has a short list. I could see buying it again if they improved the packaging and reduced the stickiness.

on 7/2/2015 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

At first, my skin became so incredibly soft and looked really clear. I could see my pores getting smaller. I was able to extract a blackhead I've been battling for years! Then, suddenly after a few weeks, my skin became a little itchy around my nose and mouth whenever I'd use this. I reduced my usage to once a day, then once every other day. I didn't want to give up! The reaction kept getting worse with each use until I broke out in full blown itchy, stinging hives around my chin. It was then I threw in the towel and this ended up in the cabinet along with other products I didn't love but don't want to throw out yet. Oddly enough, I discovered a few months later, I can use it on my forehead with no issue, so I'm using up the bottle that way. I do find Paula's 1% lotion works fine for the rest of my face so I continue to use that and will eventually just use the 1% all over. So not a terrible product, it just did not agree with half my face.

on 6/23/2015 1:34:00 PM

You have to wait to see lasting results and it can cause a bit of purging in the first few weeks but it really changes your skin. Amazing. Overnight your skin looks glowy, after the first 2 weeks i stopped having breakouts and havent even had an ocasional hormonal breakout after that. My hyperpigmentation is almost gone. Love it and have been using it for only 3 months :)

on 6/23/2015 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I really feel like the odd one out with this stuff, but it has been a royal pain in my arse. I purchased this in hopes that it would help clear and prevent closed comedones which I have been battling since puberty. My skin is naturally oily to a ridiculous degree and my cell turnover rate simply can't keep up. I have used the PC Clear Regular and Pore Refining in the past, but neither of them made a difference (nor did they cause further problems). I figured the lower pH of the regular liquid might be more effective although I find the texture and finish unappealing (sticky/shiny). Well, I won't be finding out because after a week I have 3 new patches of small closed comedones on my cheeks and jawline. I've never had them pop up that fast or in that quantity before and this is the only new product in my routine. Of course all of my pre-existing cc's are still chilling and now getting to know their new roommates.

From here I plan on testing Dermarest Psoriasis Treatment Gel (3% BHA) and GOW 5% Mandelic Serum in hopes that they can handle damage control in addition to the reasons I needed an exfoliant in the first place. I also have a tube of Finacea coming from Australia which may be promising. The great thing about skincare is that there are always other options.

Popular Treatments (Face)