Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am seguing into my mid-30s, and despite the wisdom and security that comes with age, I find myself periodically wishing to scrape my face off and start fresh. I believe regular manual exfoliation is akin to taking a cheese grater to the face (effective yet barbaric) so I am all about chemical exfoliation, which I learned about from the internet, NOT fashion magazines or my grandma, because otherwise I would have been on it by age 15.

I am so very oily and deal with biannual stretches of cystic hormonal acne (I cannot take birth control). This causes scarring and severe malaise, because the one thing that makes chronic resting bitchface look less like an affliction and more like a general attitude problem is sh*tty skin. It all comes down to this, though- Paula's Choice BHA Liquid is an EXCELLENT product.

I started this four months ago, when I had active hormonal flareups along the jaw and lower cheeks. I used the red Stridex for two weeks prior to starting the BHA, just to get any pesky purging (which still sounds superstitious to me) out of the way, and to get my face ready for what I was about to force it to get used to. It's great to do this with a cheaper, less effective knockoff, just to get a preview of what's going to happen.

So for comparison, the Stridex was good but made my face feel tight and dry, which this BHA does not. It gives me that nice, satisfying tingle but is oddly supple-making. Cystic acne turns over much faster while using this, scars fade faster. It does NOT eliminate acne, but it makes the life cycle of the tough stuff much shorter, in my experience. And while I'm used to an oily glisten upon my visage, the type of shine this stuff imparts is different, as though I took a tiny industrial floor buffer- like the school janitor used to use- to my face. This may not be the ideal, but it feels fresh and new, and old hags like myself love. it.

Usage: it is a liquid in an opaque container. I dump several drops into my hand after cleansing and spread it around. I also include my neck, upper chest, and the backs of my hands. It's slightly tacky, but not enough for me to dislike it. I only use it in the morning, since I use a retinaldehyde product at night which could null its' efficacy. Sunscreen is non-negotiable here. Don't self-sabotage in skincare.

My hormonal acne does not exist right now, and I am performing pagan rituals to assure all beneficial energies that I am grateful and worthy of that. In the meantime, I will always, always use this to keep scarring time shorter and skin much smoother.

Love this stuff! I thought my skin was fine before, and I was looking for an exfoliant. After researching on Reddit's Skincare Addiction and then checking the reviews here, I knew I couldn't go wrong in trying. I am so glad I did! I used to always have one pimple at any given time, and one of those cyst pimples around my period. Now I don't even remember the last time I had a pimple. My skin feels so soft and the tone is even and beautiful. HG product without a doubt. Try it; you will absolutely love it.

Shipping to Toronto area takes about 2 weeks so always order before you run out. There are always current promo codes and since you can stack coupons you can expect to never pay full price. For an extra $10 off use my referral code here https://goo.gl/RkJuCk.

I have been using this product for 3 months and noticed a big difference in my skin. My skin is combination and I have hormonal breakouts mostly around my chin. Before using this product, I dealt with 1-3 deep zits at any given time that took a few days or so to clear and left red marks behind.

I replaced the toner (clinique #2) in my routine with Paula's Choice skin perfecting BHA liquid exfoliant. I use it morning and night every day after cleansing. Now my skin is clear almost all the time, with occasional tiny zits around my chin that are gone within a day or two and leave almost no trace. I am also noticing that my oily/dry parts are becoming more "normal", large pores around my nose are less visible, and that the overall tone of my skin is more even.

Overall this is a great product that I will continue to use. If you decide to give it a try, feel free to use my referral code for a discount: https://goo.gl/Ko1XJP

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is one of the best exfoliants I have ever used! It's chemical (versus physical, like a scrub) so it's pretty gentle but still does the job. It doesn't have an overbearing scent and it's easy enough to apply if you just pour a tiny bit into your palms and then rub it into your skin. Doing it that way saves product you would have tossed out in a cotton ball. My skin always feels so smooth when I use this and it clears up my acne in a way that even retin-a couldn't. I know that's a big claim - but retin-a just dried out my skin, even when I used it sparingly. This stuff doesn't dry me out, it doesn't make me flaky, and it gets rid of acne. My skin isn't 100% clear, but I've only been using it for a month now, so I'm excited to see if it can clear my entire face up. Seriously one of my favorite products, I only use it Mon/Wed/Fri but I look forward to using it those nights.

I have been using this liquid for a couple of weeks now, and I think it's fantastic. Everybody should give it a shot. I am in my 40s, and at this point I am more worried about fine lines, aging, and uneven skin tone. I do get bumps under my skin, usually along the jaw line, from time to time, but no horrible acne breakouts. After a couple weeks of first nightly, then twice daily use, I find my skin is smoother, finer, more even toned (hyperpigmentation seems lighter), and the few bumps I did have along the jaw line seem to be disappearing. I did not have any strong reaction to the BHA, but I have noticed a little more light flaking around my nose and mouth, so may go back to just nightly use. Yes, the packaging is not great. I skip the cotton pad and just pour a couple shakes in the palm of my hand then pat it around my face. Hope to minimize waste that way. I think this will be a staple in my routine from now on.

The product is very affordable and, using just a few drops each night, should last at least half a year. The Paula's Choice website is offering a 15% discount on this liquid RIGHT NOW (expires 1/5/2016), plus free shipping. On top of that, first-time customers can get $10 off their first purchase through my referral link: https://goo.gl/EJlLhQ so the total price for this liquid works out to about $14. It's a great deal, especially for that price. Good luck!

1/6/2016 edit to add current promo code:

Okay, it looks like the 15% off promo is over, but I received an email that had a 20% off promo code for the full size of this product: EP16TRIAL57

So if you use this $10 off referral link https://goo.gl/EJlLhQ and add the promo code above on top, you should be able to get it for $12.40 plus tax and shipping.

1/19/2016 add: Tested the EP16TRIAL57 promo code for this product and it still works, so use it to get 20% off and also this link for first-timers to get $10 off: https://goo.gl/EJlLhQ

1/21/2016 add: Paula's Choice has free shipping now on everything through Feb. 2, 2016 (no code required), so if you use the referral link and the code above, you could get the Perfecting Skin Liquid for just $12.40 plus tax! It is a great deal for a product I am even liking more now (using every night) than when I first wrote the review! Recently I went on a work trip and did not take it because I thought it would be a hassle to bring the liquid, but I regretted it. My jawline skin got a little bumpy under the surface. Came home, used it three nights, and they are practically gone now.

2/1/2016 update: I just tested the EP16TRIAL57 promo code for this product, and it still works! Hurry and use it in conjunction with this referral link (https://goo.gl/EJlLhQ) before tomorrow to get $10 off, 20% off, and free shipping, which makes this product only $12.40. It will be the best $12.40 you can spend this year on your face. The more I use the 2% BHA liquid, the more I like it. I am not affiliated in any way with Paula's Choice. I'm just a little bummed it took me this long to discover this BHA exfoliant.

I used to have closed comedones on my forehead and left cheek and now theyre gone!!! this thing is a life savior.

I use it nightly on the trouble areas.

If you use this link ( https://goo.gl/zCyvZm ) to shop on Paula's choice website, you can get $10 off on your order! (you can also combine discount codes as well)

Good luck!

It clears up all the gunk in your pores, it definitely improved my skin a lot. I was really skeptical about it because of the price and the fact that it's purely online, but I'm so glad I got rid of my clogged pores. I use a cotton pad to apply it but I heard a lot of people just use their hands so I think I may switch as well since I seem to wasting a lot of product. I'm ordering my second one after buying the trial size and falling in loveee
Oh, I have dry skin btw!
Use my referral code for 10$ off! :) https://goo.gl/NJ818x

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This product works well, but I'm not a huge fan of the consistency. I have the gel version and the liquid version, and I much prefer the gel form, since it works better with my oily skin. I have medium brown skin (my foundation color is usually a "golden" variety - golden deep by bare minerals & fresh golden by clinique), and this product is really great for dark marks on my skin tone. I definitely recommend this product for someone with dry skin, but if you're oily like me, try the gel instead.

As a previous reviewer mentioned, you can get $10 off your first order with a referral link: https://goo.gl/CLXkGf.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Buying this product was THE BEST thing I could have done for my face! I’ve always had clear skin on the perimeter of my face, but every other inch of my face was riddled with large pores, blackheads, or breakouts (totally embarrassing because at 24 y/o, I have worse skin than most teenagers). This 2% BHA liquid has improved my skin so much I could cry. I’ve used it for about a month and a half and my acne has diminished significantly, my skin looks brighter and smoother, and my acne scarring is fading.

I normally wash my face with the Cerave Foaming Cleanser first, then dab 2-3 drops of this product with my fingers onto my problematic areas and spread it out to the rest of my face before applying moisturizer. I find that applying the product straight onto my fingers instead of a cotton pad is just as effective and wastes less product in the long run. The amount needed to saturate the cotton ball is much more product than what is needed for the face. Rule of thumb: if the product feels oily, you are using the incorrect amount. Be aware that I have oily/combination skin. The 2% BHA also comes in gel and lotion form, which may suit other skin types better. They come in smaller 3.3oz bottles instead of the 4oz liquid version, yet I've gather from samples that very little of the gel product is needed and it glides on smoothly (it'll be my next purchase after the liquid runs out). I haven’t used the PC customer service but I have heard they are very polite and are happy to give free skincare consultations over the phone in order to help you choose the product that is right for your skin type/concerns. Their YouTube channel also has awesome informational videos on PC products and skincare.

Also, as some other reviewers pointed out, the product is moderately expensive but you can get a really great discount. The full size for this product is normally $28. Since PC lets you double up coupons online (they are always floating around), I was able to pair up a referral code and a 20% off code I found on the internet. In the end, I was able to buy the full size with FREE shipping and three complementary product samples for a little over $12.

Using a referral code link automatically takes you the Paula’s Choice website and gives you a $10 discount, as well as gives the link owner a discount on their next purchase. My code is https://goo.gl/zOBCb5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

GODSEND.

- is helping to heal active acne and leftover hyper pigmentation from previous breakouts
- no reason to use a manual exfoliant since this works beyond what a traditional exfoliant can achieve.
- improved, soft as a baby's bottom skin texture
- radiant beautiful skin

The only thing I'm not entirely a fan of is the flat surface opening of the cap. Because less is definitely more with this product (applying even slightly too much can result in a tacky or greasy looking appearance and feel.)

At first I applied morning and night daily and I started getting new little pimples, cut back, and now it's back to doing its amazing job. I learned from a couple other reviewers about the frequency of which the skin will tolerate this product and have found my balance. I apply with my fingers only (I think a cotton ball would be a waste and over-use of the product) by first putting just a couple drops on the back of my hand then smoothing over problem areas nightly, and a full face treatment once or twice weekly.

I can't imagine I ever lived without this product before and had no idea a liquid chemical exfoliant was even an option until I had just about exhausted myself by trying other products that just kept prolonging the problem and further irritating my skin. I can't thank Paula's Choice enough, and their YouTube channel is phenomenal!

I found coupon codes on the internet to bring the price down but still, for what you get for this product its worth every cent.

Thank you Paula's Choice!