Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

on 3/15/2015 5:25:00 PM

After only one time use, my skin was peeling and flaking. The product makes your face look shiny. The texture is also sticky.

on 3/12/2015 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Great product, love it! It has really helped to reduce my clogged pores. I had so many clogged pores that i couldnt count them, my skin looked especially bad under certain lighting because of all the comedomes. Even tretinoin gel, which i had been using for months, couldnt help them. So i decided to try this since i had bought it a while ago. I had previously tried using it but was detered by the breakouts.

Thankfully, i stuck through the breakouts this time, about 1 week. Washing my face feels so much smoother. Altho there r still some comdomes, it has reduced it by about 70%. Ive only used it for about 3weeks so it'll prob improve more. :)

on 3/9/2015 9:41:00 PM

I've found this exfoliant works wonders for my combination skin. I've been using it twice daily for 2 years now and my breakouts (which were BAD) have been virtually non existent, and my skin has felt and looked a lot smoother and healthier. The key to avoiding that annoying, slippery, greasy feeling on the skin is use it sparingly, a dab on a cotton pad is all I use and it works great. I also try to let it seep in for about 2 min before applying a moisturizer, since if it mixes with it and gets around my eyes it really dries the eye area out. The packaging could be improved, I have to transfer it to another bottle before traveling with it since the packaging leaks like no other unless it's kept perfectly upright. It's also a tad pricy but I've found a bottle lasts me about 4 months, so all in all well worth it!

on 3/2/2015 3:15:00 AM

This is an excellent product, but alas, it isn't for me.

Pros - Amazing at gentle exfoliation of the skin surface AND inside the pores. Leaves skin smooth and softened.

Cons - This is probably not for you if you have dry skin. Because BHA is oil soluble, it can strip the skin of its natural oils. The 2% concentration proved too much for my dry skin. Instead, when I have pimples, I use PC's 1% BHA lotion (which I wish they would make in a liquid form).

Many people swear by this, and even some of my friends have great results with it, but if your skin is dry, I would recommend trying some samples first.

on 3/1/2015 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I must say that I do not rally care for Paula. I agree with the others that say her reviews are skewed to point you to her products; however, I must say that this product is a winner. I have Rosacea, and lately it has been out of control. Don't know if it is stress or hormones. I tried Finacea, and it did not do a whole lot for me. This product has toned down the redness and even got rid of a stubborn papple I had for almost a year. My skin is refined, smooth, and a lot less red. The combo that seems to be working for me now is Cerave foaming wash, followed by this. Then Olay microsculpting serum, Cerave a.m. or p.m., and Cerave eye cream. It does have some slip to it, as others have noted, but it is definitely not moisturizing. The slip is a non issue once other products are layered on top.

on 2/26/2015 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this last year, full size on sale, due to a blogger's recommendation. I'm not actually sure that it didn't do its designated job because I always gave in and washed it off. You're supposed to (in my understanding) use this as a sort of toner after cleansing. Put it on a cotton round, wipe on, done. But it left my skin feeling very slippery and didn't seem to "dry" or absorb. It bugged me so much, I always had to rinse it off. So, I can't say that it didn't do its job but it certainly didn't with me due to the ick feeling.

on 2/13/2015 1:25:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really and truly wanted to make this work for me. I gave it two chances with almost a year apart until I decided that this makes my skin a living nightmare. I've read such raving reviews for it that I thought it was going to be the solution to my blackheads. Instead, my blackhead have never been more noticeable than when I was using this liquid. I started to break out along my chin and thought maybe its just purging all that nasty stuff away. I gave it several more weeks, and my breakouts got worst. It was painful cystic acne. I usually only get the hormonal breakouts too. So I stopped. I was recently reading a blog and her results with this was amazing so I decided to use it again. I like to learn the hard way, ya know? Anyways, several days in I noticed the breakouts again. I convinced myself (again) that it was purging. Then came the itchy, irritated, and inflamed skin. I was breaking out in places I normally never break out in. My whole face itches. I feel like it never fully absorbs either. It leaves a slight tacky film on my skin. Why did I ever think that it'll magically work for me? I'm really bummed that I didn't get the awesome results like so many people have.

on 1/12/2015 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I am 35 and suffer from adult acne and also have super sensitive and dry skin. I've tried so many different creams, lotions, alpha/beta peels, facials, and just anything under the skin to change my skin condition. Nothing really helps, and when it does it is just temporary. I stumple upon this product as I was reading up on Paula's Choice, and my I wish I pick this up a long time ago. You can tell a difference in your skin the next day. My skin is smoother now, black heads around the nose are dimishing and it has controlled my break out. I don't think I ever want to live without this product. It has done amazing things to my skin that I've never experienced before. The overall, packaging, price and product is great. I highly recommend it.

on 1/12/2015 5:44:00 AM

Have had an interesting journey with this product. Purchased way back in 2012 as an alternative to my Benzoyl Peroxide which kept me 85% clear but was looking for something more. When I swapped out the BzP my skin was not necessarily any better with this produc and left me with a slightly odd shiny finish to my skin. Therefore I swapped back to BzP simply because I preferred my skin to be drier.

After moving back home for the summer this year I watched a video by Wayne Goss (<3) who suggested that Bha and Bzp would work the best in conjunction together. I decided to give it a go, initially my skin burned a lil and in fact it still does occasionally if I used too much product. Although it burns there is never any redness and applying Bzp 10 mins after this product gets rid of the tacky finish.

Anyway two months later and I can say my skin has not been this consistently good since I began using these two products together. My skin is more even and I am 95-100% now. I ran out of the BHA liquid and repurchased another one immediately!

I don't think any one product will save your skin from acne but I definitely believe a good routine will. You need:

1) A gentle cleanser to remove makeup and re-balance skin with nothing thats going to fight acne...you can do that in later steps and avoid irritation
2) This BHA! Perfect consistency to use as a toner. Goes deeper into pores and exfoliates and unplugs pore. Anti-inflammatory too!
3) Benzoyl Peroxide at 2.5% percentage 10 minutes later to kill surface bacteria and oxygenate pores
4) Moisturizer with SPF during the day, General Moisturizer at night to restore balance. Don't think you need to stick to oil-free moisturizers either. By adding good oils to your skin (shea, jojoba, mineral) you are restoring balance and preventing the skin from overworking to create more oil. I like to add Jojoba to my moisturizer at night

This liquid exfoliant is amazing and has honestly changed my skin! I am so much happier having no makeup days now.

on 12/31/2014 10:42:00 PM

Penetrates/degunks my skin/pores, whiteheads, blackheads, and papules/pustules. Couldn't be happier with a chemical exfoliant - although I think I'm actually going to buy the gel next time. If this makes your skin feel "greasy", you should probably just use a little less of it and maybe dilute it with water. Thank you Paula for another great CRUELTY-FREE product.

Popular Treatments (Face)