Boots No. 7 Lift and Luminate Foundation

on 4/8/2015 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I began using this just two weeks ago. I can honestly say I will ONLY use this foundation from now on. I have very dry skin. I've been searching for a foundation for my age 50+ skin. I've tried Bare Minerals, Cover Girl, Urban Decay, Loreal, It, and many, many others. They all just seem to accentuate the fine lines and make me look older. This absolutely does not! My skin looks amazingly smooth and the tone much more even; it's definitely moisturizing. I prepare my skin first with Argon oil and the Boots No. 7 Day or Night Cream and then apply the foundation. I would say it is a medium coverage but buildable. I use just one pump (Yes!! It has a pump!!!) and I apply with a makeup brush. I follow up with a dusting of BE Mineral Veil and a fine spray of Urban Decay Chill setting spray and I get easily 16 hours of coverage...

Honestly, I don't usually get as fired up about a makeup product but it's just that I've tried so many different foundations and for so long, and many of them have been at least double the price of this (about $15!!!) and this is "The One." Only complaint! I've been told it "flies off the shelf" at Target and isn't available anywhere else locally so I've ordered it online from Walgreen's. We have an Ulta nearby but they only stock the skin care items, not the foundation. It's worth the hassle though....I'll order online if Target is out!

on 3/4/2015 3:35:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a great foundation! It applies like butter with a makeup brush. It works really well with 40ish skin -dry, fine lines, large pores. The finish is along the lines of a high-end formula - not too matte, not too dewy, and no sheen (which I hate). It is very moisturizing, so I would not recommend it for oily skin. The coverage is buildable, and looks lovely with two coats with the makeup brush- not cakey or masky. It wears well all day without settling into lines and pores. It comes in a hygienic pump bottle, which is always nice. The shade selection is pretty decent. I think the shades run light - the perfect shade for me in this formula is Warm Ivory, and I never would have selected an Ivory shade in any other brand. Another plus is this is one of the few drugstore brands that provides testers, so there is no guessing as to what is your ideal shade. This is probably the best drugstore brand for aging skin - comparable to high-end brands, and at $14, it is a relative bargain.

on 2/24/2015 9:23:00 PM

Throughout my teen and adult life I've struggled to find a good foundation that looks good, doesn't feel greasy or heavy, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. My skin is sensitive, and I tend to have normal skin with dry patches most of the time though I get a smidge oily in humid, hot weather. My biggest issue is that I detest the cakey, smothered feeling that I get when I wear many foundations--I've been known to attack my face with a tissue in the middle of the day to rub off my makeup in such cases!

For a while I was using Almay's Smart Shade makeup in the light shade, mostly due to laziness and thrift. It was okay in that it didn't feel heavy, but it also seemed to wear off very quickly and offered minimal coverage. I have pretty good skin overall, but being in my mid-30s I do have some faint sun-damage "freckles" and some uneven skin tone, and the Almay just wasn't cutting it.

Then one day (a couple of years ago now) I had some time to kill at my local Target and I seem to recall they had some testers of the Boots products, so I swatched it on my hand and was pleasantly surprised at the texture and coverage. Not too heavy, not too light -- just right. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin nor does it break me out. The Cool Ivory was a perfect match for my skin--not too pinky. The scent wasn't strong either which is very important to me. (I don't like to constantly smell makeup on my skin all day long, nor do I want my S.O. to catch a whiff of weird, makeuppy scent when they lean in to kiss me!)

With a light, creamy, mousse-like texture, it's easy to blend and apply too--I use a Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (beautyblender dupe) most of the time, which works great, or layer on with a foundation brush if I want heavier coverage. In a pinch I have used my fingers as well and that also works! It doesn't go on watery or separated like the Almay often did, and stays on pretty well too, even in warmer weather, and doesn't leave me feeling sticky or greasy. In humid, hot weather I sometimes prepare my skin with e.l.f. translucent High Definition Powder (underneath the foundation, not over) which seems to absorb any excess oil. In extremely dry weather, I use a facial oil after my moisturizer, right before I apply my makeup--this prevents any dry patches.

Overall, I'm really happy with this product and I'm pretty satisfied with value of the $15 price point. One bottle lasts a good while--the pump has been trouble-free for me, and seems to keep the product fresh.

on 12/3/2014 11:37:00 PM

FINALLY!!! I can't begin to tell you how many foundations I have tried and none have worked for me. I've seriously tried at least 15 different ones lol. My skin is very dry and sensitive. This foundation gives my skin a dewy finish and doesn't settle in my dryer areas. So incredibly happy to have found this foundation!

on 10/13/2014 8:25:00 PM

horrible ...caked up on my face , looked horrible ...took it off before I could even get to work ..I have combination skin ..dry with oily t-zone ...I am returning product ..really had high hopes for it ..total let down

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a great choice for a drugstore foundation if you're looking for a medium coverage foundation that still looks like your skin. I am oily/combo and only have to cover a bit of old acne scarring but it gives me just the right amount of glow without making me look overly-shiny or oily. I do set it with loose powder (as I do every foundation) and it lasts a good eight hours. To me, it really does look natural!

The packaging is great; it's very sturdy plastic with a pump. The formula is a bit on the thick side, almost like a mousse (but it's not a heavy consistency and doesn't feel heavy on your skin; it's lighter than say Rimmel Stay Matte) but it blends like a dream (I use my RT EFB). It does feel a bit tacky when you first apply it but once set with powder, the tackiness goes away. The best thing about this is that it doesn't clog my pores, and I am very clog-prone.

I don't know how much "lifting" it does, or if any of its other skincare claims hold up but I do not wear foundation to improve my skincare. That's what skincare is for. It definitely luminates!

on 8/5/2014 1:16:00 AM

As with any foundation, you have to see if this works with what you want out of YOUR foundation preferences. It is definitely medium coverage, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I don't like cakey foundation that reveals unflattering fine lines especially in the under eye area. I do not recommend it if you have severe oily skin: this product is not for you. I have combination skin and in the summer I get an oily T - zone, but I use the Boots No. 7 "Beautifully Matte" foundation base on my problem areas before I apply this foundation. I bought it from Walgreens and they actually had a Boots respresentative there who assisted me in finding the perfect shade for me with a small machine they place on your cheek area that tells them what shade is best for you. I highly recommend to use this shade matching session, because a lot of times, the problem isn't actually your foundation, it's using the wrong foundation color. Once you are matched, this foundation looks like skin, it does not cake and it blends in very naturally. The packaging is a plus, comes with a dispenser pump! It has SPF 15 and has anti-aging ingredients to visibly make the skin appear luminous and "lifted." I highly recommend for those who want to still have a natural glow when wearing foundation. This product looks like your own skin, but better.

on 7/8/2014 11:00:00 PM

I love this foundation! I have combo skin that tends to be on the dry side and it is perfect for medium coverage. It works so well, but make sure you take some time to decide what shade you need because it does seem to look different in the bottle versus on my face. I wear mine daily with primer and concealer and blend it with a cosmetic sponge. Set with powder it stays about 6-8 hours. I have used it for about 6 months and continue to come back to it after trying other foundations!

on 4/18/2014 4:22:00 PM

I am such a fan of this! The shade is a great match for my skin, and actually looks like skin. It works well over moisturizer, has a nice finish which isn't too shiny, and layers well. It's not an all-day foundation, but it doesn't do anything weird when it wears off. The pump is perfect and I haven't had any skin flare ups from this. I've been using it for about 7 months now and I think it will last me through the end of the year. Not too shabby for a drugstore foundation.

on 4/6/2014 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I am always looking to try products and I loved the Boots concealer so I decided to try this product. It was about $14 at Target so a bit of a price difference from others but I had a gift card so it worked out. Overall, great package design with lots of product and easy to apply. I wanted a medium coverage and that is what it gives. I always struggle with color and I chose Cool Ivory for my light olive tone completion however this product goes on well, true to color but then darkens considerably. Go lighter if you want to try. The other issue is it appears to cake which never happens since I have combination skin and normally the issue is the opposite. It did not lift nor illuminate and did accentuate my lines. One reviewer said something about pores being more pronounced and I would agree. It did not create any acne for me and I will use in the summer as I get darker and see if I gets better. I like the idea of combining with something else so I will try that too. Overall, not great, would not repurchase.