Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation

Talc, Nylon-12, Mica, Kaolin, Isoamyllaurate, Magnesium Myristate, Dimethicone, Boron Nitride,Phenyl Trimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Polyester-4, 1,2-Hexanediol,Caprylyl Glycol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethiconol. May Contain:Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

ok first of all ive never written a review for anything before, but i just had to tell people how much i love this awesome product!!!!! A little pricey at $34....but definitely worth it. Started the day off with this over concealer only, and it totally blurred out my pores and covered dark spots and acne scars. Midday face got a tiny bit shiny, but nothing compared to how my face was before i started using this product. Im going back to Sephora to get a second one to keep in my purse for afternoon touchups!!!!!

on 2/3/2015 11:11:00 AM

I'm a huge fan of Kat Von D's products for the most part but unfortunately this powder just isn't for me. I purchased it in Light 46 which is actually a perfect fit for my skintone and the texture is creamy and smooth and it applies flawlessly. If only it stayed that way! It just doesn't last however and my biggest complaint is that I can "feel" it on my face. I don't know if that makes any sense but I can and by mid-day all I want to do is wash this off my face.

The Sephora website says this powder gives you a "flawless, matte finish" and also says this powder is "budge-proof...smudge- and sweat-proof." I'm not sure about all that...by mid-morning I find my face is a grease-pit that I've had to blot at least once if not twice. By mid-day it's flaky and creased around my chin and nose and by the end of my work day it's pretty much gone from my face as a result of all the blotting I've had to do. I can see this working for someone with dry or normal skin, but not oily/combination like mine. I'm going back to my MAC Careblend Pressed Powder which is amazing. As far as Kat Von D's Lock-It Powder Foundation goes...Dislike!

on 12/18/2014 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Ugh. I have tried so many powder foundations on the market of all price ranges & I've yet to find one that's up to par. Perhaps it's just time I accept that powder foundations are not suited for my skintype (NC10, super oily, acne prone).

Let's start with my biggest complaint: oil absorbing properties. My pizza face lasted about 2 hours before I had to touch up with a finishing powder. As the day dragged on it is honestly a losing battle, as my go-to finishing powder was no longer able to absorb the oil & it turned into a cakey sludge on my face. Additionally, this broke me out. I went through the ingredients list carefully *before* purchasing & to be honest I did not see any triggering ingredients in it. I am 99% positive that I broke out from my own oil production, not an ingredient in the powder itself. HOWEVER, that's exactly why I opted for a powder...to control my oil. This break out could have been avoided if the powder preformed as advertised.

Moving forward, the coverage is nothing special. I was still able to see my redness even after caking this on. I had to use a bronzer on my neck because the shade Light (advertised as pale with yellow undertones) is a medium orange.

The only thing I liked about this product was the packaging, and even then, it has its flaws. Yes, the case is beautiful. I love KVD's logo on it. However was it really necessary to bulk up the product with a compact sponge holder? I don't know anyone that still uses sponges these days to apply powder! Either way it makes the powder packaging too big for a useless reason.

I will not repurchase.

TOO DARK :( even the light 44 was so damn yellow on me , I wanted to live this beciase the coverage was so bomb but alas it was a no for me, ime on Kat make a white powder for us white chicks that are ghostly

on 10/11/2014 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Good color and decent coverage but I think there is too much of a dry powdery finish on the skin with this product. On it's own, it doesn't work. I tried it with a light coverage BB cream and that helps. I might try the liquid. I think this is like Smashbox Halo powder foundation.

on 9/18/2014 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had high hopes for this and I am a sucker for a good powder foundation.
The shades can be deceiving so please go into the store and try some samples and even swatch a few and go outside in natural light an wear for a couple hours.
Do not just rely on the sales associate or the sephora shade matcher they have- it told me that the shade I needed was much darker and redder than my skintone. I tried it with the persistence of the SA and what do you know...oh thats right I had a bright reddish orange circle on my face that continued to darken LOL. oompa loompa TERRIBLE HAHAHA

So, in a much better shade- M53 was a nice match as well as M57. Both had a yellow tone M53 would probably be best for me in winter but was not bad once it settled on my skin. M57 also worked but looked more cakey as you could see it a bit more on my skin.
I found this to be very cakey!
It just did not look natural on the skin. As the day went on it did start to look better as my oils mixed with it but it still looked cakey in areas and did not help with my shiny skin.
I got just as oily as with any other foundation. The coverage it does provide starts to break down and separate as well. I did find that I could blend it back in with my fingers and it would look ok again then blot or powder as needed.
I have tried different brushes, using less, using more, you name it. Nothing worked to make this look flattering on the skin.
It looks very much like cake face and can be hard to blend into certain areas of the face, specially over concealer, I found that it kind of stuck to it and then looked very unnatural.
It looked very dry on the skin and I love a matte face but this was not matte it looked dry.
It was a heavy coverage but somehow did not cover the scars on my face well??? very weird.
Oh well on to the next one.

I may try the liquid but I am not a fan of liquids and Revlon whipped works very well for me so I don't have a need to really try it.

Up next IT cosmetics powder foundation

If anyone has suggestions for powder foundations for VERY oily skin please send me an email!!

on 9/9/2014 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love the liquid version of this foundation and in the hot heat of summer the liquid was not holding up on my skin. I decided to try the powder foundation even though I usually don't like powder foundations as they dry out my skin. This powder had a nice texture but didn't provide enough coverage. I would liken the level of coverage to my MAC MSFN but with a very dull matte finish. Skip this and stick with the liquid!

on 8/11/2014 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm typically not a powder foundation user but sometimes I like the ease and quickness of one. This product is very quick and easy to apply and looks good right after application. The finish isn't as matte as some powders are. I do not think it is full coverage like it claims to be, and whatever coverage it does have only lasts about two hours. I am a bit on the oily side but I don't set this foundation with powder (since it is a powder) but it does not control oil. After a few hours, my skin is very shiny and I do have to touch up with powder. Most of the cream/liquid foundations I've used aren't as bad as this.

I'm typically a NW20 and the lightest shade in this product is a bit too dark, which is another con.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this powder! It has coverage, so I just wear my favorite Clinique line-smoothing concealer over my moisturizer/ primer, then buff this powder all over my face, and voila. It makes me look fresh-faced and not cakey or powdery at all. The powder is just so silky and it stays. I was using the milani powder before this and I'm sure there are a lot of other great powders out there, but for my tan Indian skin, I think this product wins, so worth the investment.

on 6/22/2014 10:48:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I had bought the Kat Von D lock it tattoo foundation and i loved the coverage on it. So i decide to give the powder a try and i must say that i absolutely love it. It gives me the same coverage as it would if i were using the foundation. I use it for the days when i'm in a rush and don't have time to sit down and put my foundation on. I do have acne scars and this covers them pretty well.