Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation

Talc, Nylon-12, Mica, Kaolin, Isoamyllaurate, Magnesium Myristate, Dimethicone, Boron Nitride,Phenyl Trimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Polyester-4, 1,2-Hexanediol,Caprylyl Glycol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethiconol. May Contain:Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake).

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

What a fantastic foundation! Feather-lite yet doesn't move once it's applied - no transfer at all - and it stops shine in its tracks. And ladies, I have shine like you wouldn't believe, I've had estheticians back away from me slowly when I go for facials - they can't deal with my shine. But this powder foundation keeps it all under wraps and it feels terrific. My skin feels fresh, rejuvenated and clean. Plus, there's even a shade light enough for me that isn't too yellow or pink. And i bought this on a whim! thank you, Kat Von D.

on 8/19/2015 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have had several great powder foundations over the years from various brands. I've bought and loved Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation (IPF), Chantecaille Compact Foundation (which should expand their color range but I love it), and MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus (SFPP), which has the most amazing shade range I've ever seen with realistic flesh tones from uber-pale to deep dark. Jane Iredale's Pure Pressed Base disappointed me because although I thought the texture was very nice, I could not find a good color match. Everything in that line skews very pink, very yellow, or very orange and I wish Jane Iredale would throw it all out and start over with shades that are neutral, because even the "neutrals" are very pink or very yellow. Also I wasn't crazy about the $52 price tag, and refills are $40 (the empty compact is $12). Once I hit the $50 mark, I start comparing the product to Dior Forever Compact, which has a great finish, is lightweight, and has a nice color match for me in the lightest shade,10. Dior also hides my pores, and Iredale didn't.

Stila's refills are $28 and the compact is $14 for a total of $42. I appreciate the recycling mentality, but the compact isn't worth $14. If Stila's going to charge that, the compact should be nicer. With Kat Von D, the whole kit and caboodle is only $35 and the attractive compact is already assembled. Chantecaille's compact is quite nice and the powder is better at hiding my pores, but it's $62 versus $35.

Kat Von D's compact is sturdy with a beautiful pattern on the outside of the mirrored lid and the usual sponge compartment hidden under the powder cake. I much prefer this compact to Stila's or MAC's.

I bought the shade Light 45, which was the closest color match for me. The Sephora SA and I agreed that this is the only neutral for light skin. While Light 42 and 44 both lean pink, 45's undertone is described on Sephora's site as yellow, but it's not glaringly so. It was the best option for me of the three lightest shades. This formula is special enough that it would be smart for Kat Von D to add a shade for very fair skin that is basically the same tone as 45 but paler, for fair women who are more neutral than rosy. My best shade in Stila IPF was 10 Watts when I was using that, and Light 45 is darker. It's more like Stila's 20 or 30 Watts. Stila's 10 Watts has a *slight* yellow undertone but it's pale, so it's great for very fair skin. Bases with strong pink undertones tend to emphasize redness, and not all fair skins have pink undertones. People with inflammation are trying to move away from pink. KVD Light 42 will match some porcelain skin, but not porcelain skin that is neutral to slightly "warm." MAC's SFPP range is vast and seems to include every flesh tone. That should really be the goal for all brands.

Kat Von D's coverage is fuller than your average powder and even full for a powder foundation. Stila's IPF is more like a pigmented setting powder and this one has heavier coverage than that. Studio Fix Powder Plus is also more lightweight than KVD.

This powder is versatile. You can add a light layer with a powder brush and stop there. This adds coverage and a powder finish without caking it on. If you use the enclosed sponge, this lays more product onto the skin than the brush does. You can apply dry, and then to take away the powdery finish, if you so desire, you can take a damp sponge and lightly press it (without rubbing) into the skin. I did this one day and just put a light layer of translucent blot powder over my T-zone and it looked very nice. Or if you have Evian water, a light misting of that will take it from a powder look to more of a liquid look, although it still doesn't give you the finish of a liquid such as Armani Luminous Silk.

My favorite way to wear this or any powder foundation is over a very sheer tinted sunscreen or BB cream because powder foundations aren't the best for smoothing out texture. Liquids do a better job. Something sheer like MAC Prep+Prime Beauty Balm SPF 35 that contains sodium hyaluronate is better at giving you a smooth canvas, compensating for pores and fine lines. Then I apply powder foundation on top. Many brands have primers or BB creams with SPF. That's my favorite way to wear this or any of my others because that kind of combination looks the best. I don't usually wear powder foundation over a full-coverage liquid, because that tends to look heavy or dramatic versus natural.

Overall, for the price, I really like this powder foundation.

Kat Von D is Leaping Bunny Certified, for those who are vegan or avoiding animal testing. Brands such as Stila, Armani, MAC, Dior, are not cruelty free.

INGREDIENTS (LIGHT 45 COLOR):

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

This is the only powder I've found that matches my skin tone perfectly, and I think that has to do with the fact that Kat Von D offers a pretty varied set of colors. For a powder, it's quite pigmented, but it doesn't offer the full coverage I was led to expect. Granted, it is MUCH better than most other powders, but I use it either with concealer or to set liquid foundation. Works excellently with both, but it's not a miracle product. Staying power is significant, but don't rely on it if you're out in the sun all day. I have oily skin and I found that it works best without a setting spray, but primer is a must.

on 7/20/2015 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm a huge fan of the Kat Von D Lock-It liquid foundation. Once you know how to use it right, it's a fantastic full coverage option.

I use the powder foundation after the liquid foundation. I very lightly apply the powder with a kabuki brush. This helps to "set" the foundation, prevent transfer and reduce shine. It also gives a smooth finish.

For casual days just running errands, I stick with the powder foundation. Alone it smooths out my skin tone, diminishes redness and hides some marks. It does not give the coverage the liquid kind does right way. You *can* build up coverage and there are some YouTube videos on how to do so.

Love this stuff. The packaging is great and durable. The product lasts a long time and compared to many other foundations, the price point isn't bad.

Will repurchase as long as it exists!

Oh, please make sure you get the right color. If they don't have a shade that works for you, don't purchase it. I usually wear 44 but the girls at Sephora convinced me 45 would work when they ran out. Nope. Way too yellow and pale.

on 5/9/2015 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I like this powder foundation, but I'm not in love with it. so far it's the best powder foundation I've used, but it definitely doesn't live up to its name. it's not 24 hour wear, and doesn't control oil that well. if you apply a mattifying primer first, it does stay on your face a bit better. after 5 hours it can look a little like sludge on your oily areas. I do however like wearing this lightly on top of a liquid foundation with a powder brush- gives a nice air brushed look.

on 4/12/2015 11:54:00 PM

I was looking for a long lasting powder foundation with full coverage and this seemed to fit the bill perfectly, based on reviews. I typically wear the palest or 2nd palest shade but in Sephora I was matched to the 4th lightest, #46. I looked at it in daylight in Sephora and loved the coverage and shade match. I was absolutely horrified when 20 minutes later I got back to my car and saw the foundation had oxidized to an awful orange color. By the time I got home 20 minutes later, it was even darker. I have never seen anything like it, I looked like an Oompa Loompa. Returned it to Sephora today and out of curiosity tried the lightest shade, waited 15 mins walking around the store and the same thing happened. Looked like a really bad bronzer.

on 4/4/2015 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is the best powder I've ever used in my 7yrs of using makeup!! Lol. I love this full-coverage powder. It Last all day for me, I think this cost me $24 but the price is worth it because even though I wear makeup ever other day, this will last. Love love! I also have the Kat Von D foundation. Love her brand.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Where have you been all of my life Kat? I needed this in my late teens and early twenties, I needed this foundation, the liquid foundation, and the matching concealer so BAD! I'm so in love with this foundation and I've only worn it for a week, but it's purrfect for my oily/uneven skin tone. This looks gorgeous on me, and I will probably wear it much more often than the Lock It Liquid Foundation which I also bought and love. This doesn't feel heavy or cakey, doesn't settle into my fine lines and wrinkles. And it freakin covers scars just like the liquid does! I'm sure it would cover pimples too, especially with the concealer too, but I don't have a current pimple to test that theory. But it makes me look damn close to flawless,especially with a primer under it, and the concealer to hide my hideous dark circles. And I already know this won't break me out too, if it was going to, my skin would be itchy right away, and a pimple would pop up within a few hours to a few days. So far so good!

Oh and it's a reasonable price! And the packaging is so cute, it has a mirror, and she included a little sponge, ( which BTW YES old ladies like me still use those!) LOL

I highly recommend this powder foundation if you are oily/acne prone/ or have scars you need to hide! This stuff is so much better than MAC studio fix, Laura Mercier, Dermablend, & any drug store cheapie I've EVER found.

LOVE IT

OH and I just want to say this too, I don't believe Kat Von D is anti-semite! It's been going around that she is, because she told off her a**h**e boss, but that doesn't mean she's anti-semite! I've also had butthead Jewish bosses, and Catholic ones for that matter. It doesn't mean I am anti-semite! I love cute Jewish boys...

sorry for the rant, but it matters when people are judging these products based on horrid rumors ..And they are unfortunately, when it's a shame, because everything I've tried so far by her I truly did love enough buy, and I'm so picky with foundations it's unreal.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

ok first of all ive never written a review for anything before, but i just had to tell people how much i love this awesome product!!!!! A little pricey at $34....but definitely worth it. Started the day off with this over concealer only, and it totally blurred out my pores and covered dark spots and acne scars. Midday face got a tiny bit shiny, but nothing compared to how my face was before i started using this product. Im going back to Sephora to get a second one to keep in my purse for afternoon touchups!!!!!

on 2/3/2015 11:11:00 AM

I'm a huge fan of Kat Von D's products for the most part but unfortunately this powder just isn't for me. I purchased it in Light 46 which is actually a perfect fit for my skintone and the texture is creamy and smooth and it applies flawlessly. If only it stayed that way! It just doesn't last however and my biggest complaint is that I can "feel" it on my face. I don't know if that makes any sense but I can and by mid-day all I want to do is wash this off my face.

The Sephora website says this powder gives you a "flawless, matte finish" and also says this powder is "budge-proof...smudge- and sweat-proof." I'm not sure about all that...by mid-morning I find my face is a grease-pit that I've had to blot at least once if not twice. By mid-day it's flaky and creased around my chin and nose and by the end of my work day it's pretty much gone from my face as a result of all the blotting I've had to do. I can see this working for someone with dry or normal skin, but not oily/combination like mine. I'm going back to my MAC Careblend Pressed Powder which is amazing. As far as Kat Von D's Lock-It Powder Foundation goes...Dislike!