April 16, 2014 | 1621 users online

Powder - Tarte - Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation Powder

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2014 4:44:00 PM More reviews by mariselayoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This was my first time using a mineral foundation product, and I was sadly disappointed at how mediocre this stuff was.

First of all, I cannot stand the "Airbuki" brush that is sold alongside the foundation. Thankfully, I bought this off QVC, where the brush came for free. It is too compact and stiff for foundation application in my opinion. I found it hard to buff over the skin and it would end up looking very uneven, with areas of my skin have little patches of powder I'd have to really work to buff in.

I then decided to switch things up and use it with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. I was happier with the results this time around, but as a person with oily skin, all the benefits of using a mineral product were lost on me. It did not control the oiliness on my T-Zone and I still had to set that area with another powder which seemed ridiculous to me.

Additionally, it did not provide much coverage and certainly did not make my skin look airbrushed. I have some slight hyper-pigmentation from acne scarring, and when I would build up the coverage, the powderiness was hard to ignore.

So, while it was not an awful foundation - it somewhat smoothed out my skin tone and did give me that somewhat "creamy" affect - it also didn't blow me away. I find myself rarely reaching for it and only using it so as to not feel as though I have wasted my money. Too bad I don't have any friends with my skin tone I could pawn this off too!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2014 6:19:00 PM More reviews by malilauren93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

This stuff is amazing! I have been using MAC studio fix powder for 3 years, ever since I started wearing make up, and I decided to try something new because of the Sephora sale. Let me just say the is the best thing that I purchased. The color matches me perfectly, which is awesome because a lot of higher end brands never have foundation in my shade (NW50). This stuff literally made me look airbrushed and lasted a while. I put it on at 10 am and at 5pm it still looked good. It controlled my shine a little bit but it was nothing a touch up couldn't fix. I would definitely buy this again and definitely recommend it!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2014 8:58:00 PM More reviews by pinkandblack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a love/like relationship with this powder foundation, mainly due to it's lack of oil control. It creases around my nose and settles into lines beneath my eyes in no time flat. If you have oily skin, you're definitely going to want to use this with a primer if you want any degree of longevity- or if you need medium coverage, since it goes on quite sheer.

Be warned that the Fair Honey shade has ZERO amount of peach in it, despite Tarte's best effort at describing it. It does look deceptively peachy in the container, but when it's applied it turns into a near-white shade of cream. The model in the Fair Honey shade selector picture must be wearing a dusting of Banana powder over the foundation- I can't figure out how they got it to look so warm. I'm pretty pale with translucent, warmish neutral skin and this shade looks a little ghastly on me. I imagine that the palest of the pale gals will love this shade. The meager hint of yellow makes it wearable by warm and cool alike.

The powder itself has a beautiful, velvety texture that applies fairly sheer and looks perfectly natural, especially after 15-20 min. when it "melds" with your skin. It's hard to explain...it just sort of melts into your skin and stops looking remotely powdery. It looks like you aren't even wearing MU. I love this for a natural, enhanced skin look. It wouldn't work for the office or a special event unless you used a tinted primer underneath or have flawless skin to begin with. It's transparent enough that redness, spots and uneven coloring will show through.

There isn't any visibly detectable sparkly stuff in it, but it isn't a dead flat matte, either. I suspect the mica is so finely milled, and in a low enough concentration, that it imparts just a bit of a healthy glow to skin that will work just fine no matter how oily you are. It really is very lovely and excels at enhancing skin; I only wish it controlled oil better and was truly medium-full coverage.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by barefootbanana

I cannot stop raving about this product! Once I hit my early 20s I figured it was time to start wearing actual foundation instead of tinted moisturizer/BB cream and went to the nearest NARS counter and bought the Sheer Glow foundation in Santa Fe. Big, big mistake. Not only did it oxidize completely within an hour or two, the oils on my face broke the product down majorly and by mid-day I looked terrible.

I'd heard some good things about Tarte so I went out and purchased Tarte's tinted moisturizer, but bought a color way too dark for my skin tone. I liked the TM's consistency, but it seemed to make my hormonal acne worse, so I returned it. I then purchased this Airbrush Foundation in medium neutral, and found it was also too dark for my skin tone and oxidized orange... but a quick exchange to Sephora for Light-Medium Neutral was PERFECT. The color matches pretty well (not 100%, but as a MEDIUM COVERAGE foundation--unclear why they call it full coverage when in the description of the product they make it clear it's medium coverage) and most of all looks 95% as good as it did when I first put it on 8-10 hours later in the day. It hasn't broken me out at all, doesn't settle into my wrinkles, pores, or fine lines, and makes my skin look luminous, smooth, and amazing. Most of my acne scars are mostly hidden, but not so much so that my skin looks overly made up (I like some imperfections to show through!). Also, this product hasn't oxidized on my skin at all.

Highly, highly recommend--just make sure it matches your skin tone!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by cherlene88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I haven't used a powder foundation in a very long time, and I can't say enough good things about this. The girl at sephora convinced me to get this over the liquid foundation and I am glad I did - she recommended fair light honey which was too dark for me and I have managed to change it to the lightest shade now. Can't rmb if it's call light honey or fair honey. In any case, once the shade is perfect, it looks as if you aren't wearing anything at all, and it lasts the whole day. I mostly use it on top of my shu uemura lightbulb foundation , (which is an amazing combination) or, just on it's own for lazy days. Buildable medium - full coverage depending on how you use it. It looks like there are lotsa glitter when you swatch it on your hands, but you can't even see them when you apply it on your face! I love the glow it gives, and some of my friends couldn't even believe how amazing the finish is. My advice? get the right shade, and you are good to go! I like my powder foundation a little lighter to accommodate for oxidization, and I always think it's easy to fix a foundation that's too light rather than it being too dark - shading and contouring helps loads too!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by LAMB1837

This is THE best powder foundation I've ever tried - and I've tried several major brands (including bareMinerals original foundation, Laura Mercier mineral foundation, etc).

I highly recommend purchasing the accompanying brush if you are going to buy this product. The brush makes a huge difference in the application and look of this product on your skin; I find that it shrinks the look of my pores and offers perfect coverage. The foundation in general makes my acne-prone, scarred, olive-tone skin look natural and flawless!! And most importantly, it feels like you're wearing absolutely nothing! It lasts all day and I am getting compliments on my complexion every single day since I started using this.

I've recently changed my birth control pills, and am suffering from pretty bad hormonal acne on my forehead and chin area, and I've looked high and low for the perfect foundation to not only conceal but treat the acne/flared up skin. If you're in the same boat as I am, honestly do not hesitate to try this out. You will not be disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 4:15:00 PM More reviews by miomega

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For Reference: NC50= Rich Sand.

This product provides a creamy-matte, natural but buildable coverage that lasts. However, after about 3 hours of wear, a noticeable red undertone appears. On someone with strong yellow/gold undertones (the packaging specifies that it is for "deeper skin with yellow undertones") it can look a little muddy. Overall, it is a good powder foundation but since there are better options out there for NC50s, I won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 2:36:00 AM More reviews by mayag719

I love this product. It was recommended to me by a sales girl after I did the skin color IQ at Sephora. (I use "Tan Sand" in the summertime). I have sensitive combination-oily skin, and finding products that last is extremely difficult. This foundation lasts, gives fantastic coverage, and is safe for sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2014 12:17:00 PM More reviews by Smurf72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my second mineral/powder foundation. I also like The Body Shop All in One Face Base but the packaging on that one is just a pain with the round sponge thing and the triple layer compact. There was a young girl working the Tarte aisle and she said she and her mother fell in love with this product. Since I have mommy skin now; I decided to give it a try. I use the Cargo Magic Brush and it seems to work pretty well over the Tarte poreless primer...although I wouldn't say I look airbrushed because I think you can't look airbrushed unless you are about 15-20 years old and never baked yourself in the sun like my generation did. It's not heavy coverage on me but I don't put a lot on. I don't ever want to look like I'm wearing a lot of make up even when I have moved on to grandmommy skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by babyblue59

I am completely obsessed with this foundation. I used to be a religious user of bareminerals and kind of stopped for the last few years and switched over to liquid foundations. After hearing amazing things about this stuff I had to give it a try. I am now questioning what the heck I've been doing with my makeup for the last couple years. This stuff is truly flawless. It looks like airbrushed skin. I was not super impressed with the original Tarte Amazonian Clay liquid foundation and this powder version is everything I ever wanted in a foundation.

It offers beautiful coverage (I would say more medium than full) that looks natural and has a beautiful velvety finish. This stuff literally lasts forever. Tarte says it lasts for 12 hours but I would say it lasts much longer than that! It is truly flawless and natural at the same time. My favorite brushes to use with this are the Real Techniques Buffing brush and the Eco Tools Bronzer Brush. Both amazing and I don't really feel like I need to spend the money for the Tarte brush that goes with this.

Everyone needs this in their life!