Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation Powder

3.7

Every shade except "rich sand" contains the same ingredients: mica, camellia sinensis leaf extract, quartz, smithsonite extract, tourmaline, kaolin, pearl powder, ruby powder, sea salt/Maris Sal/Sel marin. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), zinc oxide (CI 77947), bismuth oxychloride (CI 77163), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007), ferric ammonium ferrocyanide (CI 77510). "rich sand" contains: talc, mica, zea mays (corn) starch, zinc stearate, dimethicone, ethylene/methacrylate copolymer, chlorphenesin, potassium sorbate, camellia sinensis leaf extract, quartz, ruby powder, smithsonite extract, tourmaline, tetrasodium EDTA, isopropyl titanium Triisostearate, kaolin, pearl powder, sea salt/maris sal/sel marin, Iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 4/12/2015 7:41:00 PM

Coverage: I was surprised how full coverage you can make this powder foundation. I suppose it's since I've never used an actual powder foundation before, just pressed powders that don't really offer coverage. Anyway, you can build this up to pretty good coverage, but it will look cakey. If you apply it more lightly to get light-medium coverage, it looks really good, and looks very natural and like skin.

Shade: I have this in "Fair Honey", which is supposed to have a peach undertone. "Fair Sand" from the Amazonian Clay foundation is pretty much a perfect match for me. Fair Honey in this foundation is close enough, and looks fine when I apply it lightly, but when I go for fuller coverage it you can tell the undertone is peachier than that of my skin. I wish they had more shades in this foundation like they do for the other Amazonian Clay foundation.

Application: I apply this with the RT buffing brush. I'm sure the airbuki brush is great, but it's hella expensive and my RT brush works just fine.

Finish: At first, it is quite matte, but after a while it becomes more satiny.

Oil control: Horrible. My skin isn't really oily at all right now, and my T-zone got shiny after wearing this for ~2.5hrs. I wouldn't recommend this for oily skinned people at all, unless you use a super mattifying primer or something. I wouldn't recommend this to dry skinned people either, unless you use a heavy moisturizer underneath.

Overall, I feel meh about this foundation. On one had, it is really nice when applied lightly, and looks very skin-like. But it is pretty expensive, doesn't control oil well, and if you want fuller coverage, it looks cakey.

I have mixed feelings about this product. I do think it has good coverage and it can be build-able, but it made my face look so powdery and cakey. I have normal to dry skin. So maybe that is why? But I really want this product to work so I continue to use it in hopes of magic one day. But I think I'm going to stop using it. What a shame..

on 2/4/2015 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Very disappointed in this because the name markets this powder as FULL COVERAGE. It's light coverage and buildable to a medium coverage. Which wouldn't even bother me EXCEPT the fact that all the glitter in this product is packed on 2x more. I bought a shade that sephora claimed was neutral but once I tried it on, it was extremely warm. Almost a reddish pink color. I couldn't even wear this out :/ I had to wash it off because it was clearly different from my neck and chest. If you have decent skin and only need concealer and a dusting of powder I would suggest this. If you can find the right shade.

on 1/13/2015 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Really wanted to like this foundation as I am a huge Tarte fan. After using it for 3 months, I found that I really needed to put a lot of product on my Kabuki brush to get any sort of coverage. (I didn't buy the brush that goes with this). I also tried applying it with elf's flat top brush and it looked way too cakey. It didn't really control oil nor did it cover pores. I will not be repurchasing.

on 1/7/2015 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation did not work with my skin because it did not absorb the oil. It went on pretty smooth and looked good for the first hour, but eventually (especially in the heat), it would break apart on my skin and I would become very shiny. This is definitely a foundation for people who do not have oily skin. Also, it is not full coverage unless you build the product quite a bit and then you end up looking cakey.

The packaging was actually very nice, it had a little mesh piece over the loose powder part so that it would not get all over the place. In general, it's not really travel friendly because the container is big and it's a loose powder, and that's unfortunate because this foundations does require touch-ups.

on 12/23/2014 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I kind of wish I had returned this foundation... It is definitely not the right foundation for me.

Good:
- lasts a long time without shine
- good coverage for a powder
- nice packaging
- easy to apply

Bad:
- very matte
- does not look natural on my skin

I have dry skin that does not need much coverage... so it was really not a good decision for me to buy this foundation. I think for people who have oily skin this might be wonderful. I have heard people say that when they first put the foundation on it looks too matte but within an hour it mixes with the natural oils of their skin and becomes beautiful. However since my skin produces practically no oil it just continues to look really matte and unnatural all day. So again if you have dry skin don't bother trying this.

on 10/11/2014 12:19:00 PM

Oh. Ugh. Let's go over the product claims vs reality:

"Seamlessly brush over imperfections with this waterproof, weightless powder foundation that delivers up to 12 hours of natural-looking, full coverage for a flawless, airbrushed appearance."

It is a powder. Waterproof? Not even. 12 hours? Not even one. Natural looking? Sure, it's like you have nothing on (as you don't). Full coverage? No coverage. Airbrushed? If your skin is airbrushed, sure. Otherwise this is just a joke of a product. At this price it should be amazing, but all the other mineral foundations I've tried are significantly better. If you're thinking this is like bare minerals, it's not. If you think it would cover or even anything, it won't. I even bought the "airbuki" brush to make sure I was using this right, and no, none of it works. I wish it did because the packaging is pretty.

on 10/2/2014 5:09:00 AM

I will say that I have never gotten full coverage with this foundation. And I don't think I ever will without caving and buying the airbuki. Its probably because you're supposed to pack a whole bunch of product on your face, with the ridiculously dense airbuki and the whole stick your brush in the net and apply directly to face instead of the usual swirl and tap method. With the current brush I have now, (elf flat top powder brush) I can get medium coverage, but if I try applying another layer, I get cake face.

The packaging is kinda bulky on this, but I do like the whole stopper thing. It really keeps the powder from making dust clouds everytime I open it. I don't really have an opinion on the net. It's kinda just... there. Something I do kind of worry about is how I will get the powder out once I'm 3/4 the way through.

Overall I'd probably repurchase. I really do love the look of this foundation. It's got an extremely natural finish where it really looks like skin. It does kinda bother me that I will likely need the airbuki to get full coverage, and that's just another cost I don't want to pay. Hopefully I find a cheaper alternative to that!

on 9/29/2014 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I absolutely love this product! This and a tinted moisturizer and my face looks flawless! And it doesn't break me out. i have very very sensitive skin but this product is very compatible. I am in the shade light-medium neutral.

The coverage can definitely be full. I use the real technique's expert face brush to apply. The powder is finely milled but the powder almost clings together so that the product glides onto your skin...it's not like translucent powder where the powder puffs everywhere. When I swatch on my hand there's tiny tiny little glitters, but on my face I cannot tell at all.

I have combination skin but it's been especially dry where I live so the powder foundation stays on really well. With a heavy hand it can actually look cake. However, my fool proof way is to use a dampened beauty blender and gently tap the bare wet blender onto my face. Helps the powder foundation meld in with your skin!

on 8/17/2014 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Sadly, bought and returned because it made my skin an oily mess. Also, despite trying with various brushes, I couldn't get even a medium coverage with this, which was highly disappointing to me as I've been using Bare Minerals for months and it works great for me.

Packaging is nice, but nothing amazing.