NARS Radiant Cream Compact Foundation

3.5

Dimethicone, Water, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Paraffin, Nylon-12, Peg-400, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polysilicone-2, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Ceramide 3, Palmitic Acid, Pentylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Maris Aqua (Sea Water), Spilanthes Acmella (Spilanthes Acmella Flower Extract), Ethylhexylglycerin, Barium Sulfate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Algae (Algae Extract), Alumina, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, [+/- (May Contain): Mica,

on 8/15/2015 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I realize now my high hopes were going to be trashed. NARS is one of the very few brands that make their foundations in actually-wearable yellow undertones that aren't orange and cater to all ends of the skintone spectrum.

I've tried NARS Sheer Glow (was my HG until I broke out) and All Day Luminous, but this was probably the worst of the three.

The product itself is cased in a plastic container which is begging to have the top snapped off easily. As far as cream foundations go, it's more oily and malleable than, say, Cover FX's cream foundation (a true disaster compared to this.) It spreads easily, and is easy enough to work with a Beautyblender.

However, you might be led into thinking because of the more "oily" texture that it is friendly towards dry skin--spoiler alert: it is not. I tend to go downwards and with the grain when applying foundations with a Beautyblender, but this emphasized all my peach fuzz and created brand new dry spots of which I was not aware existed, even after using a moisturizing cream and primer.

I did not attempt to apply this with a brush as after two days use, my face exploded into break-outs (I don't necessarily believe it's something that will happen to everyone with sensitive skin; I take a medication that makes my skin fussy.) I also used powder (Hourglass ALP in Diffused Light) on top of it, which significantly boosted longevity of the product. Without it, you'd be lucky to get 3-4 hours before it becomes a greasy mess.

In short, this didn't work for me at all, maybe it will for you, and if it does, great! It's not the worst foundation I've ever tried, but it's certainly far from the best.

Pros:

- Wide variety of color options
- Not "thick" cream (compared to Cover FX)
- Spreads easily
- Moisturizing (great for drier skins; oily skinned folk may want to beware)
- Does not contain SPF (this is good for flash photography and in general, as most foundations never offer enough SPF in them to give adequate coverage anyways)

Cons:

- Definitely needs powder to set
- Emphasizes dry patches and vellus hairs
- Caused breakout for me (may not be the case for you)
- Packaging is susceptible to breaking
- Possibly too moisturizing for oily/combo skin types

on 8/9/2015 6:55:00 PM

This was make favorite compact product this past winter. I love the idea of a cream in a compact and I strictly use it for touch ups on the go. It has some luminosity and natural coverage. I usually dab it on with my fingers to melt it into the skin - even under the eyes. I've abandoned powder compacts alltogether and hope more companies do cream compacts in the future.

My one complaint is the packaging size. The sponge should be under the compact to reduce the size. I found myself still stuffing it into my mini bags though. I was tempted at times to remove the refill from the case and carry it alone!

on 3/26/2015 8:07:00 AM

Buildable medium coverage, lightweight cooling (to me feeling).

That's about it. It's ok once I leave the mirror. Once I get back after about 4 hours out it has faded. I also live in hot humid weather.

It's not that long lasting. Sadly, will not buy again.

This was such a waste of money. The foundation sets into the fine lines and makes my skin flakey and gross. Wouldn't recommend.

on 1/19/2015 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I absolutely love this foundation. I will start off by saying that this foundation is light-medium coverage. I believe NARS markets it as medium buildable and that is not true, in my opinion. I think this foundation is one step above the TM, so it lives between the TM and Sheer Glow/Sheer Matte in terms of coverage. This isn't the typical heavy waxy cream. It's very melty, almost like a liquid. I can't imagine it building well, unless you have very very dry skin and it's dead of Winter and I still think it would melt off in a few hours.

Okay, disclaimer done! I didn't take a lippie off for principle of bad marketing, cause I love this foundation that much. The same cream to liquid quality that makes it hard to build also makes it look completely natural. I have dry skin and a foundation has never applied with so little drag. It truly melts into the skin. It doesn't highlight imperfections. It feels like I'm wearing a moisturizer. I have to remember to take it off. Even though it's a slightly dewy cream, the finish is fairly satin on me, it lasts all day and when it does start to wear after 12-14 hours, it wears off it doesn't break down. Coverage is exactly what I want. Again, I think it makes my skin look gorgeous and even in a way no foundation ever has. My skin looks luminous and soft and even, without looking like I'm wearing foundation.

My favorite way to apply it is with the Tom For Cream Foundation brush.

I like the separate compact idea, since it will be cheaper to purchase moving forward. I do wish they had made a compact without a spot for a sponge, for those of us who don't use sponges, but nitpicking.

The price is on par for similar brands. You're either okay with that or you're not.

on 10/26/2014 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I have dry, nc15 skin. This looked horrific on me. I looked 10 years older. It highlighted every textural imperfection/dry flake. In addition, the color (dueville) looked very peachy and flat. Horrible.

on 10/21/2014 10:14:00 AM

Great cream foundation, very natural finish, your-skin-but-better like, great for daylight.

On the down side it has to be said you get very little product for a very expensive price.

on 10/1/2014 7:17:00 AM

My mom bought me this for christmas. I love cream foundations because theyre easy to apply on the go and tend to look very natural on my skin. I think both my mom and I though this would be really nice because its nars and we both love their lipsticks. So first off you have to buy the mirror compact separately. The mirror is nice and big and I guess thats better for the environment than buying all new packaging when you run out but that wad really weird to me. This product has a pleasant botanical scent and seemed non drying for the winter months. The color was a good match but it wasn't buildable at all and I couldn't get it to cover evenly. I tried differerent moisturizers under it and different application techniques but it looked like astreaky mess. I strongly prefer my Covergirl aqua smooth cream foundation. This product is crappy and way over priced for its poor performance.

on 9/19/2014 4:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have used Sheer Glow for years and years. I often try other products but am never swayed. I had an SA put this on me when I was trying some other things in store and it was the end of the day, and my face clearly needed some touching up. I was immediately impressed by the appearance - fresh and dewy (bear in mind I have older skin for which a creamy base is a bonus and not a problem). So I bought it. She sold me on the whole refillable case thing. Trying it at home, I came to the conclusion that I would never put this all over my face. It's too heavy and opaque, so I use it almost like a concealer and highlighter, applying down the middle of my face - centre of forehead and chin, inner eye area, around the nose. I then use Sheer Glow elsewhere. I don't actually like the case because I don't use the sponge, so it takes up a lot of unnecessary space. I use my fingers. People are probably going to use their own sponges or brushes if they want to, so I think NARS should repackage it into a smaller compact.

on 9/12/2014 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product really didn't do a thing for me, I was lulled into a false sense of security by the lovely (but manipulative) MUA at Mecca, its a perfect colour match for me (Light 1 - Siberia) which is very rare for my skin so I think that may have led to the impulse purchase. I'm also a major sucker for the Nars packaging (even though the second it hits the makeup draw it looks filthy) but I have not liked this product. It is absolutely unbuildable, trying to cover blemishes is so hard because as soon as you touch it, it slips right off. I'm hoping to give it another crack when my skin clears up but I'm not getting my hopes up. As for the finish, its definitely dewy (not ideal when you have oily skin, but thats my fault not the products) and after an hour of wear I looked like I mess, the foundation had all but disappeared leaving my skin looking blotchy and oily, no amount of powder could rectify the situation and that was about the last time I bothered. Really disappointed with this purchase, maybe if the compact wasn't so big it could live in my handbag for touch ups (but since I've started using estee lauder double wear I don't think I would ever touch it anyway!) but it is massive! all in all a regretful purchase.