April 20, 2014 | 1692 users online

Scrubs - Freeman - Charcoal and Black Sugar Mask and Scrub

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:47:00 PM More reviews by KandyKisses

I own every single Freeman mask. When a new one comes out, it's mine! I heard about this mask when Freeman sent out an e-mail announcing the new product and thought "hmm, doesn't sound like it would help my skin" but lately heard rave reviews over it. I went to Ulta (who didn't have it) and then Harmon's who had it on sale. I happily bought a tube and let's just say I wish I had bought ten more. Freeman makes the most amazing facial masks but this one is such a winner. My favorite was the dead-sea stress mask, but this beats them all. The sugar is gritty and it has a much different texture from all of the other masks. It's not that hard to spread it over your face. It feels nice going on. After only a few minutes it begins to naturally heat up and feels so great on the skin! I let it sit for around ten minutes and massage it off over the sink. You can just feel your skin glowing afterwards - it feels so smooth and baby soft. I've already used this five times and every time I'm amazed all over again. I think I'm gonna grab another tube tomorrow! When your skin is feeling dull or (like mine) broken out this mask will make you feel brand new. Great for before bed and also for the morning but I generally use before bed. I will buy over and over again... ugh, keep rockin Freeman.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2014 10:25:00 AM More reviews by drawingasquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked up this scrub about three or four weeks ago, when I experienced a bad (probably weather-related) breakout. After a couple of days, it became clear that my usually effective skincare routine needed an extra boost to combat the resulting acne. I had heard that the Freeman masks were a great drugstore find, so I decided to give this one a try.

I've been really pleasantly surprised with the result. A few weeks later, not only is the acne long gone, but the texture of my skin is also much smoother, both in terms of appearance and texture. The darker spots that usually linger after my acne heals are also gone. This has been great for the dry patches that I sometimes get on my cheeks and forehead, too. My foundation goes on much more smoothly now, even without a primer.

I've been using this scrub/mask as directed on the packaging. Twice a week, I'll apply it, usually after a shower, and leave it on for 5-7 minutes. Then I'll massage my face with it for 1-2 minutes before rinsing it off. It says that you can use it more often as a scrub if you'd like, but I don't think I would. I think it could be a little too drying and abrasive if I used it every day, and since I've seen results using it this way, I'll continue to do so. I saw that some users on MUA tried it as a lip scrub, and I've found that it's good for that purpose as well.

As a couple of people have mentioned already, packaging is okay, not excellent. It takes me a minute or two to get the lid to snap shut, for some reason, so I wouldn't store this in my shower in case water got in the cap and diluted the scrub. But that really isn't a deterrent for me, considering that I spent $4 on it and it's made such a difference in my skin. It'll be a staple for me this spring, when I tend to break out most.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by riccidontcare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I actually bought this for my husband because I wanted him to take care of his skin. This seemed like a man friendly product. Dark grey bottle, charcoal and black sugar. Seemed evil enough.
This product is so inexpensive and effective that we share a bottle now. It's about $4 at drugstores, I bought it at CVS.
It smells so good and doesn't taste gross if it gets on your lips (I scrub my lips with it too)
I apply it to wet/damp skin. Work it in a little around my flakey areas and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Then I rinse it off. Et Voila! My skin is soft, exfoliated and not angry.
It works, and it's a great product for the price point.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by socharming

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently discovered charcoal as a great skin detoxifier and was excited to see this scrub added to Freeman's roster of scrubs and masks (I love their mint & lemon clay mask).

My excitement quickly diminished as I applied this scrub to my face. Not only do I find the sugar granules way too large/coarse and plentiful in this scrub, but there also isn't enough charcoal to really have a detox effect and draw out impurities.

This is absolutely awful for the face compared to Michael Todd True Organics' Jojoba Charcoal Scrub (which is heavenly but expensive).

I gave the Freeman Scrub 2 lippies because it makes a nice sugar scrub for the body. But it's definitely too harsh for my sensitive face.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2014 2:32:00 AM More reviews by dtormon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I love how affordable this mask is, and that's kind of where the compliments end. I'm a party pooper, I know. I found the granules to be too abrasive for my sensitive skin but I didn't notice any burning sensation or anything like that while it was on. I did have a hard time keeping fall out under control as well. My skin feels so baby smooth after, but it never fails the next day to either break me out like CRAZY or "bring out my impurities." I always have the best luck with reactions to products!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 3:16:00 PM More reviews by itsmyparty87

I am completely in love with this product!! I use it every day as an exfoliant and it leaves my skin baby smooth and instantly gives a radiant glow. A little goes a long way. It heats up on contact and its so soothing to my skin. For under $4 I will purchase this product again and again.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by soundsofepip

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mask exfoliates your skin and has a warming feeling to it. I felt all of the impurities being pulled out my skin. After washing my face, my skin feels so soft and delicate.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:04:00 AM More reviews by Dextruxtion

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I previously tried Freeman's Avocado & Oatmeal clay mask, which I thoroughly enjoy, so I thought I'd give this a try too as this is more of an -exfoliant- than a mask.

This as well as the clay mask previously mentioned have now become part of my skin care regime, and the price cannot be beat. These products feel so luxurious, smell great, and actually work.

Now, I have sensitive skin so I don't exfoliate too often as it just irritates my face beyond belief, but I find this product is also very soothing and doesn't bother my skin at all.
I use this once a week, and it immediately makes my skin baby soft as well as reduces the severity of 'worry lines'.

I apply a layer, wait about 10 minutes then gently run my fingers in small circular motions over my entire face before rinsing with warm water and a soft cloth.
I follow up with face cream, and voila!
Perfectly smooth, even skin.

I gave it a review of 4 lipsticks, simply because I find the name to be misleading. It really is not at all much of a mask, but certainly more of an exfoliant so I would recommend using a different product if you're looking for a typical mask type deal.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by kroshicake

I just bought the full size after trying the single-use packet. It truly makes my face glow and seem clearer. I haven't used it consistently yet, but I will update. I like that this draws out impurities which is my main goal, as I am trying to unclog some pores on my forehead.. I find this to be really unique as well!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 3:22:00 AM More reviews by LongBeachGirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this mask! Makes skin incredibly soft and clear.