December 19, 2014 | 1501 users online

Scrubs - Freeman - Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by oystercity

I have been using this mask/scrub for a while, a little less than a year. I like to exfoliate often due to difficult skin with an oily t-zone and minor acne. I have used Queen Helene's Julep Mint face scrub for a few years, but it has become increasingly harder to find in my area, so when I was searching for other scrubs I came across the Freeman's Charcoal and Black Sugar scrub at Ulta.

The scrub warms up on the face and feels really good and tingly while on the skin. Yes, there is a bit of fallout due to the consistency of the scrub, but I don't mind it. I leave it on anywhere from 10-15 minutes then exfoliate with it for at least a minute and rinse off. It is great to put on before entering the shower, and then remove at the end.

It makes my skin very soft and clears it of all the makeup and junk I get after a full day of having makeup on. I haven't really noticed a difference in pore size or if it really does combat blackheads, but it is a great exfoliant. It creates a smooth surface to apply makeup and gets rid of rough patches. I would recommend it to everyone to try it for at least for a week to see how it matches up to your current scrub.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by laursawy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

this stuff is a blessing for my face.
ive always loved freeman products like the cucumber peel mask, pineapple enzyme mask, dead sea mineral clay mask etc. and i have experimented with a lot of exfoliant products for my skin.
i have combination skin, oily nose and cheeks dry forehead etc. also pretty pale with pink undertones. exfoliants are a product i need with my skin type. my old hg scrub was soap and glory's "scrub your nose in it". this was also a mask/scrub hybrid. however, soap and glory's scrub hurt my eyes and my face after two minutes, and was only good for spot treatment.
freeman got the scrub/mask right. the product is a pleasing dark colour and super grainy. doesn't spread evenly. smells like lavender and raspberries to me. i applied to dry skin, left for 8 mins, and rinsed with circular scrubbing.
the results were incredibly soft, bright skin. the pores on my nose and around it had shrunk. and my face smelled good, no evidence of any abuse against my skin. my skin is kinda sensitive and it didn't affect me.
this is a thick scrub so i think i will try to keep my usage to 3 times a week. I'm so happy i found this stuff. so much bang for your buck!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by candyintheeyes

I am not surprise of beauty products that contain charcoal. I have finished off a tube of charcoal facial wash and not intend to buy anything with charcoal as it does not perform well to keep my skin from oily and pimple free (well, at least reduce it). I am looking for a peel off mask that can clear my sebum and blackheads and find this product very interesting.

I am attracted by the words "black sugar", thinking that it might be something like sugar cane extract that keeps your face moisturised and it might act like honey. This product smells sweet and lavender-y and under the ingredient list, it mostly contains "fruits" that we consume on daily basis which to my opinion, it at least does not contain much chemical ingredients that are harsh to skin!

It makes my skin warm when I start apply it on my face and it is difficult to spread it evenly as it contains rough and coarse sugar. I usually let it sit on my face as a mask to cleanse the dirt and sebum (due to the reason that I wear a complete makeup everyday and keeping my skin free from all makeup residue is important) and maybe after 10 minutes, I will put a bit of water on my face and start exfoliate and rub my face in circular motion. It does not make my face feels pain or uncomfortable as the sugar starts to melt and it will be less painful to skin.

(Am I the only person who taste these gritty sugar to make sure that it is real sugar and it is sweet? I have read some Taiwan magazines that the beautician encourages people to use coarse sugar as exfoliator to exfoliate lips. But I have personally tried to use sea salt to scrub my skin as we all know that salt is good for anti-bacteria and low cost as I can get it from kitchen. The result is even better than using apricot kernel or walnut shells in facial scrub and it helps to keep my skin healthier and more glow and lesser pimple).

I will wash off my face after most of the sugar is melted. It makes my face squeaky clean and very very smooth. My face never feels anything like this before and the pimples and little bums actually shrink and less obvious! I really hope that this product can help me regain my healthy and pimple free skin so that I can rely lesser on BB cream and face powder to cover my pimples, scars, large pores etc.

Before I finish my first tube, I have bought a second one as back up, who knows one day it might disappear from the drug store racks and can never be found again in my city. If it cannot be found again, I will use sea salt as substitution again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2014 6:34:00 PM More reviews by Starzy12

I have horrible combination skin that always has cystic acne popping up around my cheeks and forehead. I bought this mask last summer when I decided I was going to search a local beauty store for something to fix the problem! A cashier there told me that this mask was the best thing she had ever put on her face. Of course I bought it! Especially at that price!y cousin bought a bottle too and we both applied it for the first time together. We applied it for 7 minutes and then exfoliated for 2 minutes. I didn't mind the consistency I found it really... cool actually! It was different and smelled amazing.
At first it worked wonders! My skin was soft and firm and my acne was looking like it was going to finally shrink.
I was wrong.
It worked for about five weeks (using twice a week). At first my skin was smoother and softer but eventually my skin started to react. It became absolutely dreadful. My acne had even started popping up in places it had never been before. This mask was the only thing new added to my skin routine. I stopped using it and the acne stopped being so severe fairly quickly. I talked to my cousin who had used the mask the same way I did and she had similar results. Her skin was already prettu oily and was a mess too.
What a pity because I really wanted this to work. :(
I ended up switching to Saint Ives Apricot Fresh Skin Scrub and it has been working so far!
This mask is alright as a luxury item but really you should put your money into something else. Luckily it isn't a huge loss considering its low cost but it's softening ingredients just aren't worth the spots.
I would not recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2014 8:13:00 AM More reviews by thirdcooper

Don't let the charcoal turn you off, this smells AMAZING!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2014 10:28:00 PM More reviews by boscoe7777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought the sample size after reading about charcoal as the new "it" facial trend. This mask was voted Best of Beauty 2013 in Allure mag & got rave reviews on MUA & various blogs. After trying it once, I ran to get the full size tube. FYI, have normal-dry Latin olive skin with a touch of Rosacea on my cheeks. Looks like I have slightly risky cheeks. This is a mask/scrub hybrid. Love multitasking products. The scent is both clean & a bit masculine (nice). There are sugar granules in an oil base (lavender). The sugar gives the mask a dense feel so I try to spread it on well as to warm the mask. I let it sit for 10 minutes then massage it in fir a minute before rinsing with warm water. Rinses off with easily & leaves my skin feeling super soft & relaxed. My skin even looks brighter & fresh a bit afterwards. I started using it in the summertime & think it will work well year-round. Lots of good ingredients (carbon, ginger, coconut & various fruits, lavender oil, sandalwood). I use a mask once a week & this is in my permanent rotation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2014 9:36:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Bought this in a special sale for just 2,5 euros. Big tube, so a lot of bang for your buck. It comes out as a gritty black substance, a bit difficult to apply without actually already trying to exfoliate. Left it on for the recommended time and did the exfoliating part in the shower. It left my skin very soft, minor bumps were a little less prominent, and my skin looked brighter. The day after I still saw the effect. Not earth shattering or something, but still enough for me to like it. Packaging is a bit strange, as you cannot really get the cap to close properly because of the grittiness of the mask.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by jluce16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really smooths skin

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Freeman's is generally a good brand, and charcoal masks generally work pretty well. But, this didn't work for me. Made my skin feel clean, sure, but it actually somehow made my skin look...duller. I ended up just using it as a mild exfoliator for other parts of my body in the shower, which it works just fine as. I can't recommend this, I much prefer Freeman's pineapple mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by cgarcia5

I tried the sample version of this product and I loved it. It left my face so clean and refreshing. I thought it would be too harsh considering I have sensitive skin but nope it was gentle enough to go on my face and it really gives you that deep clean feeling. I will buy this product again.