Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

4.3

Not tested on animals

sucrose, propylene glycol, carbon (activated charcoal), kaolin musa sapientum (banana) fruit extract, cocos nucifera (coconut extract), zingiber officinale (ginger) root extract, psidium guajava fruit extract, cymbopogon schoenanthus extract, carica papaya fruit extract, maranta arundinacea root extract, rubus idaeus (raspberry) fruit extract, santalum album (sandalwood) extract, macrocystus pyrifera extract, nasturtium officinale extract, aleurites moluccana extract, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, carbomer, fragrance (parfum), iron oxide.

on 3/15/2015 1:09:00 AM

This stuff means business!!!!!! I have been using a scrub from the Boots line of skincare (which I find at Target), but I am always intrigued by these Freeman masks. And when I see them at Walmart in their basic little trial-size packs for about $1.37 or so, I fall for them!! I have tried 3 or 4 besides this one, and have always been pleased. Which that says a lot, because my skin is sensitive, my nose is sensitive to scents (for the most part if these have any scent, it is mild imo), and I tend to break out with the "wrong"products or skin care. Each scrub/mask I have used from the Freeman line has been a pleasure, and this one is no exception.

My skin literally feels softer than anything I have ever tried after using this.
Soft as a baby's bottom, for sure!!

I know many love and swear by the Clarisonic, but I would rather use an actual scrub. To me it is just more sanitary, and I am not sure how cost-effective the Clarisonic really is, even over time, as you need replacement items, you still need a cleanser, etc...So I just prefer an actual 'scrub' product, plus I have heard some gals with sensitive skin do not like the Clarisonic, I know this is not about the Clarisonic -- I am just using that as a comparison, though.

The scrubbing particles on this Charcoal & Black Sugar mask are quite 'coarse'..for someone like me with sensitive skin, I would not recommend using this more than once or twice a week-max. But it does get the skin velvety-smooth and whisks away any trace of anything you would want removed. Does not leave skin dry, just soft!! -- That said, the granules might be pretty coarse and/ or too rough for someone with delicate and/or sensitive skin.

I will definitely add this to my skin care arsenal, using it just once in a while for a really deep-clean. I will not use this in regular rotation, but when skin feels like it needs a little 'something extra' , this is it, imo.

Little funny side-note: the sugar part of this is actually quite tasty (particles fell onto my lips as it dried), so that tells me this is actually pretty safe and gentle.

One thing I might recommend is, not leaving this on for the suggested 5 - 7 minutes, esp if you have sensitive skin. I think applying this and rinsing it right off would be very effective. Letting it sit on the skin dries the mask, obviously, which seems to make it a little more 'harsh'..but even still, that did not irritate my skin, and my skin is pretty sensitive.

Will re-purchase. Again, to me this is not a daily or regularly-used item, but it is very nice to have on hand for days I want/need a deep-down clean!! And super-affordable and easily accessible. Most drugstores carry this. Great product, great line!!

on 3/12/2015 3:16:00 AM

Leaves skin feeling extra soft! Smells great. Will buy a bottle since i bought the small pavkage to try it first.

on 3/8/2015 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I bought this on a whim, and I admit I didn't expect much. Masks usually don't really do anything for me... I feel like the benefits are mostly psychological. But wow. Not this one. I actually have it on my face at this very moment, my third use.

Yes, it's a goopy scrub-consistency. Get a big blob of it and smear it all over your face, quickly since it does have a warming action and you want that on your face not your hands. Leave it for a few minutes or whatever. Then splash some water on your face and massage all over, then rinse. My face was HOLY WOW SMOOTH. Weirdly smooth. Never seen or felt it that smooth. It's amazing.

I plan to use this a couple times a week and I can definitely see myself repurchasing once it's out.

on 3/1/2015 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This mask works wonders. leaves my fair..acne/rosacea prone skin looking 10 years younger and just overall cleaner and plumper. will have to tone down my enthusiasm so as to not overdo it..limiting my use to twice a week.Highly recommended!!!

on 2/28/2015 6:08:00 PM

This is really more of a scrub than a mask. The scrubbing sugar granules may be to harsh to use on the face for some. It has a strongly scented fragrance of synthetic sandalwood that lingers on the skin. I have not found this beneficial to the skin when left on as a mask. I really like using this weekly on my hands, makes them super soft and smooth.

on 2/28/2015 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I've tried LOTS of scrubs, masks, etc. and this stuff is amazing!! Has a pleasant low-key smell (neither overtly "chemical" or "natural/medicinal" and it's a steal for the price.

Although it's called a mask, it's like a scrub. It's pleasantly gritty. My skin is pretty sensitive, and I use this once a week. My skin looks and smells nice and clean - not at all raw or irritated.

on 2/18/2015 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

OMG, best mask and scrub ever, just love it❤, amazing quality, good price.

on 2/11/2015 6:45:00 AM

HOLY GRAIL EXFOLIATING MASK!
So happy to finally have found a cheap, effective mask that does exactly what it says it will do. You can find it for under 4 dollars at your local walmart or walgreens and it is worth every dollar and more. This mask is a weekly must for me especially in these Chicago winters, in which my skin gets incredibly dry and lifeless. As soon as I'm done scrubbing my face with this mask my skin looks amazing and rejuvenated and I feel like all the gunk is completely gone. Whenever I have a lot of scattered breakouts throughout my face I use this mask and the next day my blemishes are greatly reduced in size and color. It has a very coarse texture, so be sure to apply water to your face before trying to scrub it on. The smell is sweet with a hint of musk, but nothing overwhelming at all. This is probably the best mask that Freeman has to offer, very well done.

on 2/9/2015 6:00:00 AM

This is definitely not mask material as it's too thick and just falls off the face, but with that out of the way it is a superb scrub, definitely best exfoliant I've purchased. I personally like my scrubs grainy and rough and I was not impressed with higher priced products that barely scrubbed anything off. For best results I use this scrub first then proceed with my face wash as this clears away all debris allowing for my cleanser to really penetrate my skin. I also love how is warms up as soon as it touches your skin. Love love love it :)

I first purchased this in the single packet at Walmart for $1.37. I tried it that night and loved it so much I went back the next day and bought a full-sized bottle for myself and one for my mom. I use it as a face and body scrub in the shower, and it leaves my skin so incredibly soft and silky. It smells amazing, too. The full-sized tube is under $4 for 6 ounces, so it is a really great value. Freeman makes great products, but this one is by far my favorite.