October 22, 2014 | 1412 users online

Scrubs - Freeman - Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by BrightEyes001

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I do like this! It leaves my skin feeling super smooth, but the benefits stop there. My pores don't look tighter, my skin doesn't look brighter, and my face actually seems to be oilier than usual the day after I use this. Plus I think it smells grape-y, and I hate grape. For exfoliation purposes it's amazing. But other than that, I can't find any other good things about it. Probably won't repurchase as I can just buy an exfoliating wash that doesn't have to sit on my face for 5+ minutes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by modestyblaise78

I used to use Freeman Apricot & Sea Kelp Facial Exfoliating Scrub and Cucumber Facial Peel-Off Mask as a teenager - and I loved both products, especially Apricot & Sea Kelp Facial Exfoliating Scrub.
I also used Freeman Papaya hair products, but this is another story.
Somehow I forgot about the brand because it isn't available in the country I am living in.
Recently and while staying in another country I've managed to purchase Creamy Apricot Scrub, Revealing Pomegranate Peel-Off Mask, Facial Clay Masks with Avocado & Oatmeal, Mint & Lemon, Chocolate & Strawberry, Facial Anti-Stress Mask with Dead Sea Minerals - and this.
I bought all of those products because they've been cheap and I knew that I won't be able to purchase Freeman products for a time.
Now I've tried all those masks and they are really good (some I like more, some less - but I like them all a lot).
But this particular one is an absolute HG and absolutely incredible!
It feels good on the skin (I must mention that I do not have sensitive/gentle skin at all and that I prefer stronger facial scrubs) and it does exactly what it claims to do - it purifies, exfoliates and polishes.
And it leaves my face smooth and beautiful - plus that feeling of cleanness.
I tend to leave it on my face for around 15 minutes (not 5-7 minutes, as suggested on the tube).
So far, this is the best exfoliating & polishing mask I know.
Plus - huge package, really cheap, good smelling & not tested on animals.
I really do not ask for more.
Before this mask I've been using Mask of Magnaminty & BB Seaweed from LUSH and those two were my exfoliating saviours before I layed my hands on this.
I guess I won't be buying them too often after I discovered this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2014 12:22:00 AM More reviews by Batmanda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love love love this stuff! I had horrible acne for many years and after finally getting it under control I'm very hesitant with every new product I try. I use this mask about once or twice a week so I don't over exfoliate. I have very oily skin, large pores and a nose that is plagued with blackheads and it does a great job of getting rid of my blackheads which in turn makes my pores appear smaller. My face always feels fantastic after using it. I don't think this would be good for anyone with sensitive skin because the black sugar can be a bit of a harsh exfoliant. The price is great and CVS often has a two for $7 deal so I have a tendency to stock up. The packaging stinks because it's impossible to close the cap after using it since it's all grainy. I also usually cut the top off when it starts to become difficult to squeeze the remainder of the tube out and there is usually a surprising amount left inside. If you have oily skin and want to get all the "gunk" out of your face I can't recommend this highly enough.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Omurphy92782

I absolutely love this product. This made my skin so smooth and polished and got rid of all my stubborn black heads. It was only like $4 which is amazing because it's the best exfoliate I've ever used, and I've used a lot. It has also helped clear up some stubborn breakouts as well.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2014 10:58:00 PM More reviews by BGutwein

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The only reason I would not purchase this again is because it is so freaking abrasive... between the micro-scrubbing charcoal and then the sugar granuals, it just ripped my skin apart. Way to rough. I did not have any adverse reactions to it, but I only used it once and returned it. I felt like I could make this at home with a bag of cheap sugar.

I am loving charcoal products, but this one is just to rough for me... those looking for a good micro-scrub, this is for you. cheap, available in most drugstores and typical tube packaging for easy dispense.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by xokatana

EFFING LOVE THIS PRODUCT! excuse my french. this facial mask is truly amazing and I don't just use it as a mask...I use it as an exfoliant obviously that's intended because it has coarse grainy sugar like particles that removes all traces of dirt, clogged pores and leftover scum leaving my face moisturized and smooth to touch. $4.99 or whatever it goes for here in Canada, you cannot go wrong. BEST CHEAP STEAL LOVE THIS SH*T!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by isleofesa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love, Love, Love Freemans products! For a drugstore skin treatment these facials are magical. The mask never really gets hard on your face and its more of a scrub but that's to be expected since it has black sugar in it. Because of the charcoal it will heat up a bit and that feels wonderful. For me, scrubs are a pain to rinse off and so is this one lol My skin feels smooth and fresh afterwards, that is the objective. So for 4 bucks give it a try.

FYI, I've spotted the masks at Krogers in the single packets for 1.99.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2014 5:35:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I saw 2 rave reviews of this product on youtube from emilyhoel83 (+ her husband tyler) and glamlifeguru (tati). i have very sensitive fair Asian skin that is oily and acne-prone, with large, sometimes clogged pores (a few on my nose). I try to stay away from masks and scrubs because they are usually too harsh. But I couldn't resist. So I bought it and it made my skin soft, smooth and moisturized. It exfoliated all the dead skins cells off because I had super bright, soft skin afterwards. i think the few clogged pores on my nose were still there. And it does feel really rough when you gently massage for a min or 2 before rinsing. I have tried it twice in the past week as per instructions (2x per week), and each time, I would have 2-3 new painful cystic acne in a few places by the end of the next day or 2. I don't get cystic acne anymore since doing my last round of Accutane, which was 15-20 years ago. I don't know for sure if this causes the cystic acne but I can't take the risk. Also, the top "broke" so it doesn't close any more -- that's after 2 uses. I returned it today. If it doesn't make your skin break out, it is an awesome exfoliator that smooths and softens your skin. But if it gives you cystic acne, nothing is worth that.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by incognito

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a definite fail for anyone like me with sensitive, non-oily skin and a nose sensitive to fragrances.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 1:52:00 PM More reviews by meowdison

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Though this is a 'mask' advised for weekly/bi-weekly use, I now use it as my daily cleanser.

It's amazing. It might be too harsh a scrub for some, but if you have skin that needs a lot of exfoliation like mine, it's perfect. It warms your face a bit when you start to rub it in. My mother tried it and said this was alarming - but I hardly notice it.

It smells nice, and if you should happen to get any in your mouth (hey, it happens, I swear!) it actually tastes...really good. You probably shouldn't eat it, but you might want to.

Like others said, it isn't much of a mask, and I haven't noticed a difference between when I just use it as a scrub, or leave it on for a while.

Ultimately, it's an amazing buy for the price. I just wish you could actually get ALL of the product out of the tube - but when does that ever happen with any product?

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No