Revlon Photoready Skinlights in Bare Light

3.5

on 8/9/2015 12:43:00 PM

Unfortunately, I found this product to be less pigmented than my favourite highlighter- the pink lights one from this very range. Bare light produces a faint golden colour which looks silly on my very pale, cool toned skin. Although the packaging is slick and attractive, and there is so much product for the price, I will not be purchasing again but will stick to the pink version.

Before buying this, check to see if it suits your undertones!

It is a illuminator that does its job. I enjoyed the sleek packaging since it's flat and thin, it fits in my makeup bag without taking up too much space. The shimmers are very uniformed and refined, with a pretty reasonable price for the performance. However, it breaks me out and my face gets greasy super fast on days I use it, no matter how I set my makeup with all kinds of powder. For reference I'm a NC15~20 with combination to dry skin.

on 6/1/2015 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a really nice highlighter. The Bare Lights shade works well on my fair to medium skin. It's light enough to give me a nice natural looking glowy effect but not so light that I can't blend it in completely. It's not particularly pink (there is a pinker one to choose from) or gold on the skin, but a really nice, natural colour that looks like skin. I usually only use this on my cheekbones, as I have oily skin and prefer my foundation to have a matte finish. It gives such a beautiful, natural glow to my cheekbones. It blends in really nicely so that it doesn't look cakey or unnatural, but the tops of my cheekbones have a beautiful sheen and catch the light really nicely with this on.

I only need to use a small amount per cheekbone, I squeeze out a small dot for each cheekbone and tap it onto my skin 3 or 4 times on each side, creating 3-4 tiny little dots on top of cheekbones. I use my finger and pat the dots into my skin, rather than rubbing as that can remove the foundation underneath. It's quite runny, which I imagine would make it easy to mix with liquid foundation for an all-over glow (I haven't tried it in this way.) As long as I don't use too much product it's very easy to blend by just patting with my finger and doesn't take too long. It has a nice shimmer which makes it glow, but no noticeable glitter or sparkles which helps it look as natural as possible.

The packaging is really good, as it's in a hygienic squeeze tube. It's very easy to squeeze product out, but it doesn't come rushing out too fast leaving you with too much unless you squeeze extremely hard. It does get some product built up around the squeeze part and the lid as it's so runny, but it's easy to clean off. Despite being a bit more expensive than most drugstore highlights, it comes with quite a lot in the tube and a little goes a very long way, so a tube will last me a long time. I would recommend this, and am also interested in trying out the pinker colour as this is such a nice product.

Wow, this gives a nice glow. Not too shimmery and obvious, blend-able, pretty packaging. The cap is a bit hard to twist off without feeling like you're going to snap it, and it can be hard to squeeze out the right amount without getting too much. On the pricey side, I paid almost 20 dollars for it. I dab this above my cheekbones, under and above my brows, down the bridge of my nose, chin and cupid's bow.

on 2/28/2015 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I've been looking for a drugstore highlighter for months. I finally heard of this one and it comes in liquid form, which I think is more natural than powder highlighters. It gives the perfect glowy look! I have pretty pale, slightly yellow Asian skin and the color 100-bare natural is perfect for me. From far away it looks so glowy and healthy! I love it!!! It isn't sparkly and doesn't look oily at all. I use it on my cheek bones and it's so beautiful. I will definitely be repurchasing!

on 2/13/2015 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I truly loved this product. It's a great, very subtle highlighter that contains minimal glitter and provides the skin with a really soft glow. The 'Barelight' color is quite subtle because the shade is a little darker than most highlighters. It doesn't have much impact when used on the tops of the cheeks or the forehead for me, simply because the shade is quite close to my skin tone. For a brighter highlight, maybe the peach or the pink versions of this might be more of the ticket.
I typically wore it alone and all over the face because the nude shade of it gave me a little color the way a very sheer tinted moisturizer would. I'd use a moistened Beauty Blender to apply it for a perfectly dewy, hydrated finish.
Why the two star rating, you ask? This breaks me out horribly. Every time I would wear it, I'd get several spots and whenever I gave it a break, my face cleared right back up. I'm heartbroken.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I put this on the tops of my cheekbones after I put on my blush, and its actually an amazing illuminator for contouring! At first I tried putting it under my foundation, and it hardly made any difference, I used it while I was contouring and it looks amazing! The sheer shimmer is perfect for the tops of my cheekbones without being over the top! Great product!

on 12/3/2014 1:01:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is what I wanted Mary-Lou manizer to be. Gorgeous champagne-beige shimmer which isn't over the top. Bare light looks awesome on my nc20 skin. I can control the application (elf small stipple brush) from lit from within glow to a bit heavier highlight when going out. Doesn't break me out and has no scent. Sometimes I mix it with my foundation on days when I feel my skin is looking dull. My dear hubby always compliments my look when I wear this. He tells me I look beautiful and that he prefers "this kind of makeup look".Sometimes (on good skin days) I only wear this with mascara.I would repurchase this in heartbeat.

on 12/2/2014 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

If you read my earlier review about inappropriate glitter, this is the product I was referring to.
The theory: something to make me less tired looking. A sheen but not OTT. Something to replace my Lancome Eclat Miracle that was discontinued.
The price: really reasonable. Like under $20 CDN, available everywhere.
The packaging: they read my mind. A travel friendly tube, sits upright to get all the product out, sturdy, slender. Someone out there was listening.
The colours: a decent selection. I grabbed the Bare Light for me and the Pink Light for my Mum. Again, if you've read other reviews of mine, you will know that Mum is a classic Winter and I'm all freckles and green eyes. Both colours blended well with our skin and smoothed into a natural looking sheen.
The product itself is appropriately runny and doesn't stick in the tube. This product doesn't impart any moisture to my skin, it did not replace any steps. It's not meant to, so I'm not cross about that.
So why the 2 rating? You have extolled it's virtues, how did it all go so wrong? Well you may ask.
So I'm in the car; I check my makeup in strong natural light and notice glitter on my chin. Hmm...I'm wearing a Lancome blush with a bit of shimmer in it today, maybe it migrated? A week later I'm watching Netflix and my palm is resting on my cheek, and comes away covered in glitter. Same blush? But no, I'm only wearing moisturizer and Skinlights today. Whatever could be the matter?
So I begin to pay attention and am horrified to discover the rampant sparkle in this product. Fairy dust sparkle. Completely age and work inappropriate sparkle. Night out with the girls sparkle.
So is it a bad product? Nope. This would be great for a party, or a particularly dewy younger woman with great skin. But for me, no way. Back to the hunt.

on 9/10/2014 8:42:00 PM

A bit about my skintone: MAC = NC15; EM (semi-matte) = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff (fall/winter); Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude (fall/winter); EL Double Wear = Desert Beige (fall/winter); Jane Iredale = pressed base in Bisque; Lumene CC Cream = Fair; Smashbox Camera Ready CC = Fair; it Cosmetics CC+ = Light

Whew - if you made it through that - congratulations!

I saw a few recommendations on YouTube that mixing this w/ a long-wearing foundation can provide a lighter, brighter summer foundation so I used quite a few times this past summer w/ my EL Double Wear and it worked - I still had all the coverage I wanted thanks to the EL, but it wasn't as thick due to the Revlon and I didn't feel like a disco ball either. No breakouts. When set w/ powder and my UD All Nighter = lasted 10 hours (less than my EL, but still a decent amount).

Next I will try as a highlighter :)