Revlon Photoready Skinlights in Bare Light

3.5

on 2/28/2015 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I've been looking for a drugstore highlighter for months. I finally heard of this one and it comes in liquid form, which I think is more natural than powder highlighters. It gives the perfect glowy look! I have pretty pale, slightly yellow Asian skin and the color 100-bare natural is perfect for me. From far away it looks so glowy and healthy! I love it!!! It isn't sparkly and doesn't look oily at all. I use it on my cheek bones and it's so beautiful. I will definitely be repurchasing!

on 2/13/2015 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I truly loved this product. It's a great, very subtle highlighter that contains minimal glitter and provides the skin with a really soft glow. The 'Barelight' color is quite subtle because the shade is a little darker than most highlighters. It doesn't have much impact when used on the tops of the cheeks or the forehead for me, simply because the shade is quite close to my skin tone. For a brighter highlight, maybe the peach or the pink versions of this might be more of the ticket.
I typically wore it alone and all over the face because the nude shade of it gave me a little color the way a very sheer tinted moisturizer would. I'd use a moistened Beauty Blender to apply it for a perfectly dewy, hydrated finish.
Why the two star rating, you ask? This breaks me out horribly. Every time I would wear it, I'd get several spots and whenever I gave it a break, my face cleared right back up. I'm heartbroken.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I put this on the tops of my cheekbones after I put on my blush, and its actually an amazing illuminator for contouring! At first I tried putting it under my foundation, and it hardly made any difference, I used it while I was contouring and it looks amazing! The sheer shimmer is perfect for the tops of my cheekbones without being over the top! Great product!

on 12/3/2014 1:01:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is what I wanted Mary-Lou manizer to be. Gorgeous champagne-beige shimmer which isn't over the top. Bare light looks awesome on my nc20 skin. I can control the application (elf small stipple brush) from lit from within glow to a bit heavier highlight when going out. Doesn't break me out and has no scent. Sometimes I mix it with my foundation on days when I feel my skin is looking dull. My dear hubby always compliments my look when I wear this. He tells me I look beautiful and that he prefers "this kind of makeup look".Sometimes (on good skin days) I only wear this with mascara.I would repurchase this in heartbeat.

on 12/2/2014 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

If you read my earlier review about inappropriate glitter, this is the product I was referring to.
The theory: something to make me less tired looking. A sheen but not OTT. Something to replace my Lancome Eclat Miracle that was discontinued.
The price: really reasonable. Like under $20 CDN, available everywhere.
The packaging: they read my mind. A travel friendly tube, sits upright to get all the product out, sturdy, slender. Someone out there was listening.
The colours: a decent selection. I grabbed the Bare Light for me and the Pink Light for my Mum. Again, if you've read other reviews of mine, you will know that Mum is a classic Winter and I'm all freckles and green eyes. Both colours blended well with our skin and smoothed into a natural looking sheen.
The product itself is appropriately runny and doesn't stick in the tube. This product doesn't impart any moisture to my skin, it did not replace any steps. It's not meant to, so I'm not cross about that.
So why the 2 rating? You have extolled it's virtues, how did it all go so wrong? Well you may ask.
So I'm in the car; I check my makeup in strong natural light and notice glitter on my chin. Hmm...I'm wearing a Lancome blush with a bit of shimmer in it today, maybe it migrated? A week later I'm watching Netflix and my palm is resting on my cheek, and comes away covered in glitter. Same blush? But no, I'm only wearing moisturizer and Skinlights today. Whatever could be the matter?
So I begin to pay attention and am horrified to discover the rampant sparkle in this product. Fairy dust sparkle. Completely age and work inappropriate sparkle. Night out with the girls sparkle.
So is it a bad product? Nope. This would be great for a party, or a particularly dewy younger woman with great skin. But for me, no way. Back to the hunt.

on 9/10/2014 8:42:00 PM

A bit about my skintone: MAC = NC15; EM (semi-matte) = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff (fall/winter); Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude (fall/winter); EL Double Wear = Desert Beige (fall/winter); Jane Iredale = pressed base in Bisque; Lumene CC Cream = Fair; Smashbox Camera Ready CC = Fair; it Cosmetics CC+ = Light

Whew - if you made it through that - congratulations!

I saw a few recommendations on YouTube that mixing this w/ a long-wearing foundation can provide a lighter, brighter summer foundation so I used quite a few times this past summer w/ my EL Double Wear and it worked - I still had all the coverage I wanted thanks to the EL, but it wasn't as thick due to the Revlon and I didn't feel like a disco ball either. No breakouts. When set w/ powder and my UD All Nighter = lasted 10 hours (less than my EL, but still a decent amount).

Next I will try as a highlighter :)

on 8/17/2014 4:04:00 PM

I'm in my forties and luckily never suffered from acne, even when I was a teen. This product is only one of perhaps five in my whole makeup buying existence (30+years) that broke me out. On top of that, it was glittery and looked poor in natural light. I'm thinking about re-purposing it to act as a highlighter for body parts like shoulders and shins, but I probably won't. I regret this purchase.

Finally...a good quality highlighter that I don't have to shell out an arm and leg for! Bare Light is a light beige color with a slight hint of pink to it, but definitely not as pink as the Pink Light shade. The quality of the shimmer: It's a very fine shimmer. No chunky glitter here at all, as with some other drugstore brands I've tried in the past! In fact, it's comparable to my NARS Multiple in Copacobana shimmer-wise (but not the same in color). I just pray that Revlon doesn't go and discontinue these just like they seem to do with all their other highlighters!

on 8/5/2014 4:46:00 AM

this is a barely noticable skin-toned highlight. its so gorgeous gives off that perfect glow look. i didnt like the price but its well worth it, it goes on smooth..i apply it with my e.l.f small stipple, ither on my cheek bones or all over my face lightly to give me an all over glow. this is amazing. will use up an repurchase.

on 5/21/2014 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Me: NW45
This is a really nice product to mix in with your foundation (especially, and as opposed to BECCA SSP when it comes to mixing) or on top of it for a very subtle lit from within look. Used sparingly it doesn't make me look ashy.