Laura Mercier Baked Eye Colour - Smoky Topaz

on 7/27/2013 2:12:00 PM

Laura Mercier makes some great products, and I was hoping that Smoky Topaz would be a good taupe e/s--the one thing missing from the LM line, in my opinion. The baked shadows have been hit-or-miss for me, with some with amazing pigmentation and texture, while others have a chalky texture and little color. Smoky Topaz is highly pigmented, and when used wet, goes on very smoothly.

This is a cool taupe--on me (NW15) it's slightly gray--sort of a putty color. There's little shimmer and this would be very office-friendly or a good base for other colors. Since it's Saturday I'm wearing it with BB Cement Sparkle e/s over top, but this would be fine on a weekday at work on its own. I prefer using it wet, which makes it go on smoothly and evenly. Once it dries (a minute or two after application), it can be blended with another color.

I can't say that this color is unique, as just about every line has a similar color. This isn't that different from MAC Copperplate or BB Cement on me. I just can't bring myself to give this 5 lippies just yet--maybe after I've road tested this a bit more I'll change my mind. It's nice, but not special.