Kanebo Allie Extra UV Long Keep Gel (pink)

on 4/6/2015 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

My skin: combo oily t-zone, normal cheeks in summer/humid days; combo slightly oily t-zone, dry elsewhere during winter

Packaging: white tube packaging that unscrews quickly with narrow spout that doesn't drip/spill product.

Usage: I've been using this sunscreen daily since 2013 and have repurchased many times since then via Oukastore on Rakuten. The consistency is creamy, light and moist. I usually pat 1/4 tsp onto my face and continue patting until relatively dry (note: this sunscreen applies best over bare skin; even with just a Vit C serum, I've noticed that the sunscreen takes a tad longer to absorb). Make up applies and lasts well over this sunscreen. I usually use this for daily AM workouts and then reapply after showering. It's supposed to be sweatproof but for workout type sweating, I think you'll need something more tenacious (for light sweating while walking around or to/from work on hot, muggy NYC summer days, it does the job).

Price: Purchased 3 tubes @ 1940 JPY back in January 2015 (a tad over $16 USD).

Bottom Line: Great sunscreen worth repurchasing. One of my HG sunscreens that I always keep in stock.
water and sweat resistant
chemical and phys filters (see Ratzilla Cosme for ingredients in English)
makeup wears well
cheap
not too drying compared to other JP sunscreens

Note: 2015 has new packaging but it looks like there are no changes to the formula.

on 9/15/2013 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim after the PA++++ rating was announced and this and the Mineral Moist product were labeled with it. This product is supposed to function better as a makeup base than the others, and I think it's great for that. The first thing I noticed about this product is that it is the fastest-drying SS I have ever come across. It's dry in like 2 minutes, tops! It's such a lifesaver for me on mornings when I'm in a super rush. I think this must be due to more alcohol in it than the Mineral Moist, which is why it also works better as a primer. However, maybe due to the alcohol content, I find this makes my fine lines a little bit more pronounced. This is why I wouldn't use it every day, despite the convenience. But I do think it'll be perfect when I plan to be wearing special makeup, since it really makes it last. I'm really loving the Allie line, which I had previously ignored, because of this and the other products I've tried.

-I didn't notice much of the promised "soft focus effect to minimize pores" or got an "ultra-smooth surface" (I have big pores).

-This isn't one of those Japanese sunscreens with foolproof application. I have to apply it in small sections and make sure I spread it well to avoid ending up with some white powder accumulated in some areas.

-The finish is a bit shiny and I get a white cast in the beginning. After (aprox.) 40 minutes, I get no/very slight white cast and looks wearable on my NCish 20 skin. This sunscreen also doesn't look as natural on my skin as lower PA or PPD does.

-I can smell the alcohol when it comes off the tube and after I put it on my face I can't smell anything.

-Re-application is difficult, I have to take a small amount and gently pat into my skin (and sometimes I still make a mess!). There is no way I can re-apply the same amount as in the 1st application and still look good.

- I only noticed sweat beading on top of it when or where I didn't use any powder. I had to put a small amount of powder all over my face. (I never wore it for more intense activities than walking under 30+ degrees centigrade).

-The moisturizing effect is perfect for my slightly oily skin and I don't use anything underneath (during Spring and Summer).

- I am not sure if I really need a cleansing oil to remove it (according to the description in Ratzilla Cosme, this sunscreen is only sweat and sebum resistant and no makeup remover is needed). I tried to remove it with a regular cleanser, but my skin didn't feel properly clean so I use a cleansing oil.

-I have no complains about its protection abilities. I used it mostly to walk around town (sometimes under 40 degrees centigrade and very high UV index) and protected me well.

This product I won't buy again, because I prefer sunscreens that are super easy to apply and more natural looking. I still prefer this to the majority of euro sunscreens with similar PPD.
I have used up one 25g tube.

on 7/27/2013 12:30:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Still no clogs from Kanebo Allie Long Keep UV Veil (pink packaging/white bottle with pink writing). Yay! Sweat beads up on top of it, but as long as you don't wipe or rub your skin (just blot) it stays on. It goes on like a cream, has some alcohol, then dries a Iittle shiny/very slight white cast; this is not the one for very oily skins but great for combo skin that can tolerate the chem filters in there. No fragrance. I have not had any breakouts from it (dimethicone is highest % silicone in there IIRC), and it only irritates my skin if I don't alternate once in a while with something else. I've gone through one 60ml bottle. PA++++, so PPD is 16+. If you have very oily skin, consider the one in the teal bottle, Allie Extra UV Gel Mineral Moist, which comes in a 90ml size.