Smashbox Smashbox Halo Liquid HD Foundation SPF 15

Water\Aqua\Eau, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polysilicone-11, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Dimethicone Silylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Alumina, Silica, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, C12-16 Alcohols, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499)]

on 9/10/2015 3:46:00 PM

I bought this straight from Smashbox and so far, I love it! I chose my foundation color by chatting with an online rep and they matched me perfectly. It covers well and feels light on my skin. A definite winner for me!

on 8/11/2015 9:45:00 AM

This broke me out. I went to Sephora for foundation samples, and this was one of the ones I got, in #1. I really couldn't wear this past 1 day because I'm an NW15 and it was much too dark and way too orange. So when I broke out, I didn't review it because I wasn't 100% sure that it was from that since I only used it once, but I certainly wasn't about to try it again due to the poor color match. But then I was at Sephora looking for a contour kit and the SA decided to remove the makeup I had on (MAC lightful tinted cream) and put this foundation on. I guess she wanted better coverage so the contour stood out more. When she picked it up, I was thinking that I had used it before and it broke me out, but I didn't want to make waves, and as I said before, I wasn't 100% sure. In addition to the poor color match, it clung to dry patches and just didn't have a smooth appearance. And then a couple of days later, I had two pimples on my nose and a very large painful one on my chin (which is still there after several days). I can go years without a breakout, so this was without question the culprit. I wish I knew what ingredient caused it so I can avoid it in the future.

on 7/19/2015 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've always found it difficult finding foundation that matches my skin perfectly. I have a yellow undertone and it's difficult to cater for that sometimes. I used to wear bare minerals but recently noticed that the applying of the powder was not covering my marks as well as I'd hoped. My purchase for this product was so quick and easy. I approached the counter and told the lady that represented Smashbox about what I wanted from a foundation and she matched me up instantly. I told her that I was going to carry on shopping around and see what the foundation looked like in different lighting and then purchase it another day if I was happy with it. The foundation itself felt lightweight and looked amazing. I ended up going back within an hour to purchase this. I wear it everyday and it's so easy to apply too. Perfect match and covers up my red marks without a need for concealer underneath. Simple, quick and easy. What more could you want!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I went to sephora and bought this foundation based on the recommendations given to me. I told the girl my skin type, the type of coverage I wanted, my undertones etc., and this foundation doesn't satisfy any of them! First of all, I noticed that all of the shades are just so orange. I have yellow undertones and this foundation made me look super orange, and there was an obvious difference between the color of my face and the color of my neck. Unfortunately the shade I got was the closest to my natural tone, while a shade lighter would be too pale and a shade darker would just be too brown/orange. Secondly, I honestly don't see what this foundation DOES. it's very visible on the skin and when I put it on it barely even seemed to correct my skin tone. I saw absolutely no difference after I had put it on and before I had put it on. Also, I have very dry skin and although Smashbox says this foundation is supposed to be okay for dry skin, I have noticed that It really emphasizes my dry patches. It is pretty expensive at $42.00 dollars from Sephora, and honestly I think my drugstore Loreal and Rimmel foundations work and look ten times better, for a fraction of the price. I will not be purchasing this foundation again and I do not recommend it. For the price, you can get a drugstore foundation for a much better result.

on 6/29/2015 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So basically this is great, as I am black, I have a harder time finding good foundation that doesnt look caked on and finally I found it and for 28 quid its pretty amazing. I barely feel it on me, at first it did come off on anything it came into contact with but I used mac fix and that was sorted. I do recommend using a beauty blender with this product though, as it can streak. It has no smell, the pigmentation is awesome and I just love it so much, as soon as it runs out Ill defo be getting a new one. I feel strong when i wear it

on 6/25/2015 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for about two weeks and I love it. The coverage is perfect - evens out my skin tone but lets my skin shine through. Color match is perfect - I use shade 2. It smooths my large pores and gives my skin a healthy glow. I just add becca moonstone liquid HL on tops of cheeks, set with pressed powder, and then I can do whatever I want with cheeks and eyes.

Edited: I knocked off a star because the pore action isn't as good as it was, but I'm still pretty impressed. Also it feels really light on my skin - not made up at all - which I appreciate.

on 6/17/2015 4:43:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Recently I've been going through another manic foundation overhaul. I try and identify what brings on these sudden desires to trash everything I own and start again. Was it a bad day? Was it the cold, grey winter light when I caught myself in the rear view mirror? Was it a flippant comment from a colleague - "Wow, your face is soooo red", or from an ex-husband " your nose goes shiny when you eat." We may never know. What I do know however, is that something HAPPENS.

Whatever it was that happened recently, It made me overhaul my supplies. And now, with too many supplies, I'm trying to decide which is the overall winner. As it's so hard to be objective with one face at a time, on different days in different conditions, I decided to perform a controlled experiment.

Outside, in broad daylight, I spread one foundation on one hand, and one on the other. Examined each in the unforgiving light, removing and replacing the loser, one hand at a time, until only the winner remained.

The trouble with make up reviews is that there are so many variables. Everyone has different skin, and different DESIRES. My desire is to look like I am not wearing make up, How contradictory of me, considering I own more than my local Shoppers Drugmart. I also want my pores to just go away. I hate irridescence, and stickiness too. I don;t want to spend hours applying. It has to go on with my hands, no brushes or extras. And I want to mute the redness without looking like a ghost.

Here are the results -

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua - expensively pointless. Yes, it looked like I was not wearing anything. To the extent that I may as well not wear anything. Costs a fortune. Might as well just wear moisturiser.

My old Revlon Colorstay Mineral Powder - previously my adored HG. Now it just seems grey, shiny, metallic and horribly powdered in the daylight.

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse - Initially on my face I loved it, then I hated it. So very very sticky. On my hand in daylight it was heavy, pink and yes, sticky.

Physicians Formula Spotless Liquid - Not too bad initially on the face. I stopped using it for its pore enlarging qualities as the day wore on. Powdery in daylight. Settled into pores and wrinkles, Overly pink.

Physicians Formula Touch of Glow - Way too heavy. Looked like a pink sheen across my hand. And a shiny mannequin on the face.

L'oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder - The runner up. I've worn this on my face any times. Without any issues. I like it a lot. Pitted against the winner on my hand though, it just lost out for being a tad powdery in daylight.

Smashbox Liquid Halo - The winner! Comfortable and no bells and whistles. It didn't look powdered. Didn't settle into lines. Virtually undetectable on my hand in daylight. Reduces redness without obliterating it. Wears nicely but my only complaint is that its not terribly long lasting, but you can't seem to have everything. A dab of powder during the middle of the day seems to take care of it. A good all rounder.

I have bought this a few times. Never in a row but almost once a year in the spring. It is my go to transition foundation. In Ottawa our winters are long and brutal and spring can be too. There here are a few months where you cant wear your super pale thick stuff and you can't move right to turbo tan and dewy. That's where liquid halo comes to bat. It's at best medium coverage and has a very subtle glow. It does get shiny on the t-zone after about 8 hours if you don't blot or wear a primer but who cares. Being matte all the time is lame.

on 5/20/2015 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Oh, what a bummer. I bought this and Nars' Sheer Glow foundation because I couldn't decide but they couldn't be more different. I chose this to try first and noticed the thin texture of it when I pumped it out. Not a bad thing, similar to UD Naked. The reason I gave it two lippies is because of how it dried down rather quick to a satin/semi-matte finish and didn't just sit on my face with a layer of sticky goobers. BUUUUT, when I looked closer I saw the huge difference between my actual skin tone and the make up. Also, it did tend to look rather (dare I say) cakey and thick. I was advised that Smashbox (like Nars) ran more on the warm side. It did not. It bothered me so much I had to wash it off and start all over with Nars.

BTW, it was Smashbox #6 vs. Nars' Stromboli.

on 2/12/2015 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love almost everything about this foundation. The texture is runnier than most foundations, creamy, smooth, and lasts all day on me. The coverage is sheer to medium with a hyper-glowing finish. It is so great on my dry, parched skin because it doesn't emphasize any patches at all and feels so comfortable and hydrating. The one thing that prevents me from buying it again or recommending it is that all the shades are so orange. Luckily, I have been using a sample but when I tried on shades at the store they were all orange and I just went with the closest (but still orange) one. I wish they had better shade selection because then I would absolutely recommend this foundation.