Smashbox Smashbox Halo Liquid HD Foundation SPF 15

3.4

Water\Aqua\Eau, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polysilicone-11, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Dimethicone Silylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Alumina, Silica, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, C12-16 Alcohols, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499)]

on 6/29/2015 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So basically this is great, as I am black, I have a harder time finding good foundation that doesnt look caked on and finally I found it and for 28 quid its pretty amazing. I barely feel it on me, at first it did come off on anything it came into contact with but I used mac fix and that was sorted. I do recommend using a beauty blender with this product though, as it can streak. It has no smell, the pigmentation is awesome and I just love it so much, as soon as it runs out Ill defo be getting a new one. I feel strong when i wear it

on 6/25/2015 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for about two weeks and I love it. The coverage is perfect - evens out my skin tone but lets my skin shine through. Color match is perfect - I use shade 2. It smooths my large pores and gives my skin a healthy glow. I just add becca moonstone liquid HL on tops of cheeks, set with pressed powder, and then I can do whatever I want with cheeks and eyes.

on 6/17/2015 4:43:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Recently I've been going through another manic foundation overhaul. I try and identify what brings on these sudden desires to trash everything I own and start again. Was it a bad day? Was it the cold, grey winter light when I caught myself in the rear view mirror? Was it a flippant comment from a colleague - "Wow, your face is soooo red", or from an ex-husband " your nose goes shiny when you eat." We may never know. What I do know however, is that something HAPPENS.

Whatever it was that happened recently, It made me overhaul my supplies. And now, with too many supplies, I'm trying to decide which is the overall winner. As it's so hard to be objective with one face at a time, on different days in different conditions, I decided to perform a controlled experiment.

Outside, in broad daylight, I spread one foundation on one hand, and one on the other. Examined each in the unforgiving light, removing and replacing the loser, one hand at a time, until only the winner remained.

The trouble with make up reviews is that there are so many variables. Everyone has different skin, and different DESIRES. My desire is to look like I am not wearing make up, How contradictory of me, considering I own more than my local Shoppers Drugmart. I also want my pores to just go away. I hate irridescence, and stickiness too. I don;t want to spend hours applying. It has to go on with my hands, no brushes or extras. And I want to mute the redness without looking like a ghost.

Here are the results -

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua - expensively pointless. Yes, it looked like I was not wearing anything. To the extent that I may as well not wear anything. Costs a fortune. Might as well just wear moisturiser.

My old Revlon Colorstay Mineral Powder - previously my adored HG. Now it just seems grey, shiny, metallic and horribly powdered in the daylight.

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse - Initially on my face I loved it, then I hated it. So very very sticky. On my hand in daylight it was heavy, pink and yes, sticky.

Physicians Formula Spotless Liquid - Not too bad initially on the face. I stopped using it for its pore enlarging qualities as the day wore on. Powdery in daylight. Settled into pores and wrinkles, Overly pink.

Physicians Formula Touch of Glow - Way too heavy. Looked like a pink sheen across my hand. And a shiny mannequin on the face.

L'oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder - The runner up. I've worn this on my face any times. Without any issues. I like it a lot. Pitted against the winner on my hand though, it just lost out for being a tad powdery in daylight.

Smashbox Liquid Halo - The winner! Comfortable and no bells and whistles. It didn't look powdered. Didn't settle into lines. Virtually undetectable on my hand in daylight. Reduces redness without obliterating it. Wears nicely but my only complaint is that its not terribly long lasting, but you can't seem to have everything. A dab of powder during the middle of the day seems to take care of it. A good all rounder.

I have bought this a few times. Never in a row but almost once a year in the spring. It is my go to transition foundation. In Ottawa our winters are long and brutal and spring can be too. There here are a few months where you cant wear your super pale thick stuff and you can't move right to turbo tan and dewy. That's where liquid halo comes to bat. It's at best medium coverage and has a very subtle glow. It does get shiny on the t-zone after about 8 hours if you don't blot or wear a primer but who cares. Being matte all the time is lame.

on 5/20/2015 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Oh, what a bummer. I bought this and Nars' Sheer Glow foundation because I couldn't decide but they couldn't be more different. I chose this to try first and noticed the thin texture of it when I pumped it out. Not a bad thing, similar to UD Naked. The reason I gave it two lippies is because of how it dried down rather quick to a satin/semi-matte finish and didn't just sit on my face with a layer of sticky goobers. BUUUUT, when I looked closer I saw the huge difference between my actual skin tone and the make up. Also, it did tend to look rather (dare I say) cakey and thick. I was advised that Smashbox (like Nars) ran more on the warm side. It did not. It bothered me so much I had to wash it off and start all over with Nars.

BTW, it was Smashbox #6 vs. Nars' Stromboli.

on 2/12/2015 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I love almost everything about this foundation. The texture is runnier than most foundations, creamy, smooth, and lasts all day on me. The coverage is sheer to medium with a hyper-glowing finish. It is so great on my dry, parched skin because it doesn't emphasize any patches at all and feels so comfortable and hydrating. The one thing that prevents me from buying it again or recommending it is that all the shades are so orange. Luckily, I have been using a sample but when I tried on shades at the store they were all orange and I just went with the closest (but still orange) one. I wish they had better shade selection because then I would absolutely recommend this foundation.

on 1/24/2015 9:37:00 PM

I really like this foundation for when I'm looking for a light to medium coverage. It never looks cakey on me when I buff it in with a brush, no matter how many layers I apply. It lasts all day on my skin and has a lovey glowy finish. I'm shade 2 but it's quite Orange on my skin and has to be blended down my neck. I love how it's oil free and spf 15. The consistency is not thick but not very thin for a liquid foundation although very blendable (spreads evenly with no streaks) I always set this with powder in my oily zone, however it would be ok with out for me. This occasionally clings to small dry patches but I just apply sparingly to these areas. I don't really like the smell but it's not very strong and fades within half an hour. I find it good for school or casual day time activities. It's a bit pricey but I don't mind paying a bit extra for a nice foundation. The packaging looks very nice and expensive and I love the pump, however considering the amount I travel, the weight and size of the glass bottle puts me off a bit.
Overall good foundation and would definitely repurchase however maybe in a lighter shade.

on 1/6/2015 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Save your money. This simply does not live up to the hype. Fortunately I received it as a gift, so not a total loss. I have this in the lightest shade #1.The product functions much like a tinted moisturizer, which may be beneficial if you need little coverage. However, I was in need of a foundation. The biggest issue I had with it is that it SLIDES. If you have an itch and lightly scratch your face, you can see the trace lines of your nails in the foundation ( I've never experienced this before) It's really not a nice product, combined with the fact it oxidizes after a few hours to an unflattering orange shade. I will not repurchase.

on 12/30/2014 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This foundation was a huge let down for me, which is deeply annoying because its not cheap.
Generally speaking, for everyday wear, I love a nice light coverage foundation. I don't have particularly bad skin, I don't feel like I want to slap on a full coverage unless I'm going out for the night and want to look especially 'done up' as I call it.
This is why I loved the sound of Liquid Halo. The lady at the counter said it was very lightweight, quite moisturising all of the usual spiel they give you when they want to sell you something. So I got myself colour matched and she reckoned I was shade number '2', as the '1' and '3' were too orange. This kind of disconcerted me straightaway because I thought surely number 1 is the lightest shade they do and therefore should be too pale rather than too dark? Still, I trusted her, I liked the way it felt on the skin, and due to the false lighting in the shop, I couldn't exactly see much of a problem until I went to wear it the next day.
When I put it on I panicked because it looked way too orange, didn't match my neck in the slightest. Thankfully, as it began to oxidise a little bit it seemed to sort of match my skin tone but not completely. When I set it with a little bit of powder that also helped but only marginally. I still get the feeling it doesn't match my neck entirely which leaves me a feeling a bit paranoid as to weather there is a visible line.
The foundation itself isn't fabulous, not only is the colour selection terrible; it doesn't last particularly long either. It felt like it was sliding about a lot even though I'd set it with powder and have dry, dehydrated skin. As I said, I love a light coverage as much as the next person but I don't like to feel like I have none at all.
Price wise, it's a total rip off for what it is. The only plus point I give it is the sturdy glass bottle packaging. Other than that this was hugely disappointing.

The reason I didn't give this foundation 5 lippies, is because it made me break out, which is very unusual for me. I have somewhat good skin and I rarely break out. However, I did give it 3 lippies, because the finish is absolutely beautiful! Had this not irritated my skin, it would probably be my go-to base makeup.

It's virtually undetectable on the skin, which is what we all want out of a foundation right!? It really does provide that halo-like glow yet it's so natural looking that you essentially appear to have naturally radiant skin. There is no shimmer in this so it doesn't settle into fine lines or twinkle in the light. It's just a really beautiful base makeup that sadly, did not get along with my skin. If you don'y suffer from sensitivity, I would suggest giving this product a try. While it's on the expensive side, it last quite a long time and a little goes a long way. The pump bottle is very precise, so no product is wasted.