September 16, 2014 | 1863 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - Hydralight Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2014 11:43:00 AM More reviews by jhenley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Pros:
- High SPF
- Comes in a tube, not a jar
- Great price

Cons:
- Leaves a white cast on my face and in my beard
- Scent is unpleasant

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2014 3:16:00 AM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAD TWO SAMPLES THAT I USED ON SEPERATE OCCASIONS.
This is a lightweight sunscreen yet I would not say it is a moisturizer and sunscreen or two in one product. When I applied this it felt soothing and went on with a white cast that could be blended in easily . Thankfully the TiO2 and zinc oxide did not seem to flake and it did not seem to exaggerate oiliness in my skin but it's not mattifying either. This has titanium dioxide and zinc oxide so it's pretty gentle but can be acnegenic so be careful if you have acne prone skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 8:17:00 AM More reviews by McBrideMary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

Bought this based on reviews I read, and I am so glad I did! This stuff is great! Does exactly what is claims to do. Lightweight, soaks in, matte finish, works REALLY well under makeup, did not irritate my very sensitive skin. I think I have found my HG of sunscreens, that I can use everyday! I do have to let it soak in for several minutes before I apply my makeup, but it is so worth the wait time. This sunscreen did leave a very faint white cast, but is undetectable under foundation. I am really very happy with this purchase and will be ordering some more. It's $24 for a 2oz tube, we will see how long the tube lasts, because I do use it everyday. this product washes off nicely and easily. Safe for use around eye area. Ordered some pressed powder as well, but had to return it because it contains Bismuth Oxide, I am very reactive to Bismuth, so I exchanged the two powder compacts for anolther tube of this sunscreen.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Laski

Ive tried that product a few times now, because the description just sounds like the summer moisturizer of my dreams! And every time I try, Im reminded why I didnt purchase it since the last, long-ago try: It leaves my face a greasy, shiny oil-slick after a few hours. First, it feels good and dry and moisturizing, but then, by late morning, my face is just a mess, and no matter how much I blot, it goes on behaving like an oil-well for the rest of the day. Two lippies though for the nice ingredients and the sunprotection - but in general, its just not right for me. No, I wont buy this again - from now on not even as a sample anymore.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 9:14:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

I expected a lot from this product. However, it did not quite deliver. First, it is light which is nice. There is a slight white cast, which I'm not a fan of but could be easily toned down by adding a little bronze-toned foundation or tinted moisturiser with a similar SPF. However what I really did not like about this is that while it has a somewhat shiny finish, it also made my skin look really dry seriously, it highlighted wrinkles I didn't know I had. If this was an SPF50 I could put up with that, but for SPF30 the sheer matte tint is so much more elegant. A fail for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/14/2014 2:54:00 AM More reviews by missericacourt

I only used this for a few days, but I think I hate it more than the Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense. While the Ultra-Sheer totally dried out my skin, this made me the oiliest I've ever been.

When I applied it, I was dissapointed by the white-cast it gives (classic Paula's Choice sunscreen). But it applied smoothly, unlike the Ultra-Sheer. Normally, I get a bit oily in the afternoon, but with this, I was super oily after about an hour. I don't know why this product is listed as normal to oily.

As with the Ultra-Sheer, makeup application (foundation and concealer specifcally) result in flaking of the product. Also, I scratched my face a few hours after application and I got a bunch of white stuff under my nails. Do not recommend.

My last hope for a PC SPF is now the RESIST Wrinkle Defense.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 10:03:00 AM More reviews by ashleym04

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For those of us who are skin cancer prone - its extremely difficult to find
a facial sunscreen that will work for us with porcelain sensitive skin (NC5). We need the protection more than anyone and its a difficult task to find these type products. I also have rosacea which only adds to the problem in finding the perfect daily SPF protection and for me -- this is IT! Its a mineral sunscreen thats approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation and it goes on without being too greasy underneath my makeup. Most dont have this worry .. but for me with my high risk this is just as good as it gets. I only wish the tube was larger and less expensive - but either way - its the perfect product for those of us who really need serious sun protection. Thank you Paula!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oops, somehow I first put this under "Tools." Not sure how that happened, and I don't use it as moisturizer, either. This is a great non-chem, fragrance-free sunscreen that acts like a primer/moisturizer and ss all in one. I've used it now for several months, not every day. The ss ings are TiO 2.32% and ZnO 6%. I have seriously oily, shiny skin and have found that most ss's marketed as matte, or for oily skin, can't deal w/ the amount of oil my face produces. I like some of Paula's products but some have a sticky, tacky, shiny finish, so I had low expectations, especially since the package says "moisturizer + spf" and my skin is so oily I normally cannot wear moisturizer.

I was pleasantly surprised-It is a white, medium-thin lotion that spreads easily and disappears into the skin quickly, leaving no visible white cast. The finish is more satin than matte, which works for me. Sometimes matte looks too flat and fake and my oil starts peeking through anyway, so I get a very flat, matte surface dotted with tiny pools of shiny oil in every pore. So a satin finish like this actually works better for an extremely oily person like me.

This ss/primer/moisturizer also smoothed out tiny dehydration lines, flakes and pores, and seemed to soothe irritation, so it was like also using a really good primer too. It worked fantastically well under mu and worked like a really good primer for foundation, which is important because I really hate it when my ss doesn't play well w/ my mu. Never broke me out or caused any problems.

As far as ss effectiveness, I found this good as spf30, but personally I would go for a higher spf if I was going to be outside all day, as I use retinA and BP and that makes skin super sun sensitive. However, this is great for everyday use. I have never gotten any burn or darkening when using it as an everyday ss, which for me means only being outside for a little while in the morning, and maybe lunch and errands/driving around. Overall, I'm very happy with this ss and very impressed by its primer/moisturizing-w/o-being-oily abilities.

Update: I wanted to know the ph of this product so I emailed the company. The same day I got a reply: 4.8-5.4. Happy to get such prompt and responsive cs.

Inactive Ingredients:
Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate,Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 80, Caprylyl Methicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-6 Isostearate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract,Chamomilla RecutitaFlower Extract, Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Allantoin, Glycerin, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Alumina, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone, Diethylhexyl Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol.

6/5/14 update: After a very bad IPL tx, I appreciate this ss even more. It is very soothing and smoothing, and while all the wrinkles, lines, indents and bumps I got from the IPL don't go away, this seems to smooth things out as much as possible and seems to calm my irritated skin. I wish it came in a higher spf for days when I need to be outside for a long time.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2014 7:52:00 PM More reviews by damarce

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just ventured into the Paula's Choice line. I've read her books and appreciate her research although I don't always necessarily agree with her ratings. The CS rep sent me plenty of samples to try and this was one of the products I purchased. Unfortunately, after about a week of use, I had several large breakouts in weird areas of my face that I don't generally break out. As a matter of fact I'm almost 60 and the only time I still break out is if I use certain skin care ingredients (I wish I knew exactly which ones...). I get allergic reactions to the newer generation sunscreens so I thought this one would work. NOPE! If you are acne prone, be careful of this one. On the plus side, it has a great finish, lightly moisturizing without being too shiny.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2014 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Northstar5

This is an excellent non-chemical sunscreen that is light, hydrates sufficiently, has high SPF, and does not break me out. I have sensitive, combination, breakout-prone skin and am 45 years old.

I want to point something out: some reviewers point out that there is a comedogenic ingredient in this lotion, but the problem with those rankings is that they don't take into account how a substance changes when it interacts with other substances. There are certain oils that break me out when they are pure, but don't at all when they're formulated with other products. In my experience PC is brilliant at figuring out how to make a comedogenic ingredient non-comedogenic by combining it with ingredients that neutralize that aspect of an otherwise excellent substance.

For example, if I put olive oil on my face, or even just take makeup off with it, I break out something fierce. When it is blended with certain other ingredients, it does not break me out at all, so I can use DHC cleansing oil and other products with olive oil. I think this is a common experience. The key is to find a skincare company you trust to know what they are doing. I have had good luck with PC in this regard. Their researchers understand how to blend things so as to maximize the positive benefits and minimize the negative effects.

This lotion is really unlikely to break you out. Don't be afraid to try a sample. PC sells them for about 80 cents, I think.

Now on to the price: it is shameless. Not because the price is that high for a state-of-the-art formula, but because this is the exact formula PC used to sell as a hand cream for about half the cost. Now they've shuffled it into their facial moisturizer category and the price is equal to her other face creams. Just shameless. Identical product, double the price. They didn't even change a single ingredient for show!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No