Paula's Choice Hydralight Shine-Free Daily Mineral Complex SPF 30

3.6

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 6%; Titanium Dioxide 2.32% (sunscreens). Other Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate (thickener),Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents and skin protectants), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Methicone (emollient), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (emollient thickeners), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer (film-forming agent), Isohexadecane (dry-finish solvent), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Propylene Glycol (moisture-binding agent), Polyglyceryl-6 Isostearate (emollient), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant),Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (antioxidant), Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agents), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin, Panthenol (skin-repairing ingredients), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Alumina, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickeners), Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone (skin-conditioning agent), Diethylhexyl Carbonate (emollient), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

on 7/2/2015 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

My first tube of this smelled like a musty basement and wet concrete. I used it but ended up returning it when I returned the kit it came in because I didn't want anything but the sunscreen. So I bought the sunscreen again. This tube smells like nothing. Go figure. I'm guessing the weird smells are not normal.

I love the texture of this. It is very light but adds enough moisture to my summertime normal slightly combination skin. I have rosacea and this does not bother my skin. It does leave a very slight white cast at the very beginning but it doesn't last long. Finish is not quite matte but not dewy in the least. Like skin. Works very well under makeup.

I tried most of the PC sunscreen moisturizers and this was the best for my skin for spring and summer. I liked the Clear one but it made my skin red. That one would be great if you had combination non-rosacea skin and you wanted a super light finish. I use the Skin Recovery one in the winter but it is super moisturizing.

on 7/2/2015 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this stuff. Chemical sunscreens make my skin sting (including Paula's oily skin one). I love the matte finish this leaves...absolutely NO greasiness leff behind. It's not super moisturizing, so I do find myself using a light moisturizer before it during the winter months but during the summer, I can get away with just using this on it's own. Makeup applies nicely after this. Love that it's fragrance and dye free. It's not cheap, but I try to only purchase this when they have sales (just recently had a buy one get one free deal!) Does not break me out at all. The white cast caused by the mineral sunscreens is very minimal and does not bother me at all since I almost always put makeup on over this. Even on days I don't, I don't think anyone would ever notice it.

on 6/20/2015 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After discovering that chemical sunscreens sting my skin, I purchased samples of this (and several other PC sunscreens) after reading the reviews here. I got Hydralight, Skin Balancing, and Resist (the tinted one). While all of them were good, this one stood out, so I got the full-size squeeze tube. I've used it 5x/week for 2+ weeks…and so far, so good! My skin is very normal (my T-zone gets shiny through the day), doesn't break out much, and is generally non-reactive. I use about a quarter-size amount of Hydralight after cleansing in the morning, and while it does take a minute to rub in and set, it DOES NOT leave a white cast on my NW20 skin (and it doesn't sting - yay!). I let it dry for a few minutes, but it doesn't feel greasy or shiny, and makeup (stick concealer and Revlon CS powder) goes on nicely. Hyralight seems long-wearing and transfer-resistant: I have to work to get it all off at night! I'm not in the sun much during the workweek (15-min walk each way), but everyone knows an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :) The price seems a bit steep at $29 for 2oz but Hydralight is the best facial sunscreen I've found. I strongly suggest ordering samples from the PC site before committing to a full size. I will be purchasing this again!

on 6/1/2015 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I LOVE THIS STUFF!! I use it religiously on the eye area every day because the skin there is too sensitive to tolerate chemical sunscreens. The white cast is not too terrible and can be blended away. This doesn't irritate my skin at all and doesn't run into my eyes. I use it on the rest of my face when I'm having a drier or more sensitive day than usual. This is a little pricey for a sunscreen but since I use a small amount each day and it's so great it's more than worth the price. I strongly recommend this if you have sensitive skin or just want a good sunscreen for the eye area.

on 5/25/2015 2:52:00 PM

Just ordered my second and third bottle of this sunscreen and I am in love! Unfortunately Asian sunscreen does not ship to me (Canada) I have tried. I would love to try those but I have really sensitive skin so the alcohol may be an irritant but I'd love to try it still, Anyways! this sunscreen is great. I have been using it for a couple of months now. The smell people are talking about does not affect me and I have a perfume allergy so this is good news. It goes on white but if you let it sink in for the 15-20 min before you go into the sun then it is not noticeable. I do have dry skin so I put moisturiser on before it. It really makes my skin seem less red and the sun protection bonus is great. I am 25 and just recently have been putting sunscreen on every day and ever two hours when exposed to the sun. My skin while covered in hormonal acne :( does not get irritated by this at all! YAY, I also was blessed by some great genes to have acne prone skin...I don't even wear make-up! I just do my skincare routine and put on sunscreen and I am out the door ready to go. My skin while acne riddled does look smoother and younger and just... well, I cant even explain it...It just looks healthy. Please protect yourself from the sun!

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

White cast. I honestly didn't think it had much of a white cast at first, but upon subsequent uses I've noticed a clear and obvious white cast on my face. I'm pretty tanned, so it's hard for me to find a physical sunscreen that doesn't do this, but I had such high hopes for this one...especially since it's only SPF 30. We're not talking SPF 50 here, which I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the white cast for. So consider yourself warned. White. cast. I'm sticking to Japanese sunscreens from now on, and possibly Avene/LRP.

on 4/25/2015 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I've been looking for a long time for a facial sunscreen that I'm not allergic to or that breaks me out... This seems to be it! Let me say, I have dry skin but it will break out with heavy products; this is problematic because I cannot use ANY chemical sunscreens.

I do use a dry-skin moisturizer under this (allow it to sink in before applying this). I've tried other sunscreens for drier skin (including Paula's Resist one with physical sunscreen), and they are just too greasy and break me out. This disappears within 5 minutes of application, doesn't leave a white cast, and works well with makeup. A winner!

on 4/25/2015 1:58:00 AM

Why does this only have 3.4 points?

I love it. Best sunscreen and believe me, I've tried a lot. Many sting my skin (chemical sunscreen) or too white and thick (mineral).

This is a miracle product for me. It goes on smoothly as in easy to spread, no white cast, gentle shine and moisture. Most of all, doesn't sting! Perfect.

I will repurchase.

Cons: Expensive compared to other sunscreens. But hey! It's a moisturizer + spf. Small- only 60 mls.

on 1/24/2015 2:25:00 PM

On the third tube of this already. Surprised by the terrible reviews here but I'm someone that struggled through manyyyyy brands just to look for a moisturizer. I broke out to many many of them. Until I found this. I could say this is my holy grail product. It's a mineral sunscreen so that's great, chemical sunscreen never ever works for me. This is lightweight as the name implies, absorbs well, great for combination skin in my opinion. Dryer skin will require something heavier I feel. There's def a white cast to it when you first apply but I think that comes with mineral sunscreen, it sinks in after awhile so no worries. I would take that over chemical sunscreen. This product takes into account both sensitive AND combination skin. Just amazing.

on 1/21/2015 4:22:00 PM

pros:
-mineral sunscreen (zinc & titanium dioxide)
-lightweight & somewhat moisturizing, so many mineral sunscreens can be so thick and hard to apply
-no fragrance
-spf 30, broad spectrum
-price is fairly reasonable because paula's choice is always having sales and you can get $10 off your first order with a promo link
-no animal testing

cons:
-since it's a mineral sunscreen it can give a slight white tint after application but that can be easily remedied by either applying some tinted powder over it and/or mixing in drop or two of tinted moisturizer or foundation
-I wish they would change the packaging to a pump formula but the tube is manageable

overall I would highly recommend this for daily use, especially for those who have sensitive skin :)

Popular Moisturizers