Paula's Choice Hydralight Shine-Free Daily Mineral Complex SPF 30

3.7

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 6%; Titanium Dioxide 2.32% (sunscreens). Other Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate (thickener),Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents and skin protectants), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Methicone (emollient), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (emollient thickeners), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer (film-forming agent), Isohexadecane (dry-finish solvent), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Propylene Glycol (moisture-binding agent), Polyglyceryl-6 Isostearate (emollient), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant),Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (antioxidant), Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agents), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin, Panthenol (skin-repairing ingredients), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Alumina, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickeners), Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone (skin-conditioning agent), Diethylhexyl Carbonate (emollient), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hydralight SPF 30 is a really good option for normal/combo skin. Mine is dry so I need to apply a touch of moisturizer under this sunscreen, but the Hydralight leaves such a nice natural finish on my skin that I don't particularly mind. I knocked a lippie off because on very dry skin days, this will accentuate flakes around any spots I might have which is frustrating - but it rarely ever happens so it's not the worst thing. I don't break out from this product, and I think the zinc oxide in it even helps soothe inflammation I have. If I ran out of this product, I would buy it again - but I also plan on trying other PC sunscreens, so it's not like this one is my ride or die.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A good moisturizer, with high broad spectrum, suitable for oily, combination and acnee prone skin. I use it as make-up base, It's suitable for fair skin, because it leaves a white veil on face, wich lasts almost an hour, and it will be annoying for someone with darker skin.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

No, I don't like this one. It did moisturise my skin well and I like the fact that it contains SPF 30, but it made my skin super oily and shiny. I would definitely not call it shine-free because it's not even close to being that.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

So I got a fair, combination and sensitive skin and I'm prone to hyperpigmentation and pigmentation of the bad kind. So I have to use an SPF.
But most SPF's make me break out in tiny white bumps (Biotherm, Clinique), sting like hell,(Eucerin) our made my face greasy. (Hi oily t-zone)
I'm a sceptical fan of Beautypedia and I don't expect miracles in skincare, I have been disappointed to often by products for the sensitive skin.
I decided to try three SPF's from Paula's choice (skin balancing, dried out my skin, sheer balance was nice but stung a bit) and this one only contained zinc and titanium and it is really great, absorbs easily, sits perfect under need my CC cream our foundation. I can't spot the white cast so I'm happy!

Ingredients:
Aqua, Ethylhexyl Palmitate (thickener), Zinc Oxide (6%) (Nano, sunscreen agent), Cyclomethicone (silicone slip agent), Titanium Dioxide (2.32%) (Nano, sunscreen agent), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent and protectant), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Methicone (emollient), Glyceryl Stearate (emollient thickener), PEG-100 Stearate (thickener), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer (film-forming agent), Isohexadecane (dry-finish solvent), Cetyl Alcohol (emulsifier), Propylene Glycol (moistere-binding agent), Polyglyceryl-6 Isostearate (emollient), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (water-binding agent), Algae Extract (water-binding agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin-repairing agent), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (preservative), Alumina (thickening/opacifying agent), Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone (thickener), Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickener), Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone (skin-conditioning agent), Diethylhexyl Carbonate (emollient), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Chlorphenesin (preservative), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I don't understand the low rating, this moisturizer is fantastic! I have combination and sensitive skin and this product calms my skin, balancing it, smells nothing, have spf 30 and is perfect under makeup. I don't even get a oily t-zone anymore! It does leave a white cast but that does'nt bother me because i'm ghostly pale and the white cast actually disappears after a minute or so. I have changed my skincare to only PC products (and bioderma for eye-makeup remover) and i did get som spots and dry cheeks the first week but i'm now on my third week with the products and it works great! I use this moisturizer only in the mornings with PC vitamin c serum and that's the perfect match! Love it!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

My first tube of this smelled like a musty basement and wet concrete. I used it but ended up returning it when I returned the kit it came in because I didn't want anything but the sunscreen. So I bought the sunscreen again. This tube smells like nothing. Go figure. I'm guessing the weird smells are not normal.

I love the texture of this. It is very light but adds enough moisture to my summertime normal slightly combination skin. I have rosacea and this does not bother my skin. It does leave a very slight white cast at the very beginning but it doesn't last long. Finish is not quite matte but not dewy in the least. Like skin. Works very well under makeup.

I tried most of the PC sunscreen moisturizers and this was the best for my skin for spring and summer. I liked the Clear one but it made my skin red. That one would be great if you had combination non-rosacea skin and you wanted a super light finish. I use the Skin Recovery one in the winter but it is super moisturizing.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this stuff. Chemical sunscreens make my skin sting (including Paula's oily skin one). I love the matte finish this leaves...absolutely NO greasiness leff behind. It's not super moisturizing, so I do find myself using a light moisturizer before it during the winter months but during the summer, I can get away with just using this on it's own. Makeup applies nicely after this. Love that it's fragrance and dye free. It's not cheap, but I try to only purchase this when they have sales (just recently had a buy one get one free deal!) Does not break me out at all. The white cast caused by the mineral sunscreens is very minimal and does not bother me at all since I almost always put makeup on over this. Even on days I don't, I don't think anyone would ever notice it.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After discovering that chemical sunscreens sting my skin, I purchased samples of this (and several other PC sunscreens) after reading the reviews here. I got Hydralight, Skin Balancing, and Resist (the tinted one). While all of them were good, this one stood out, so I got the full-size squeeze tube. I've used it 5x/week for 2+ weeks, and so far, so good! My skin is very normal (my T-zone gets shiny through the day), doesn't break out much, and is generally non-reactive. I use about a quarter-size amount of Hydralight after cleansing in the morning, and while it does take a minute to rub in and set, it DOES NOT leave a white cast on my NW20 skin (and it doesn't sting - yay!). I let it dry for a few minutes, but it doesn't feel greasy or shiny, and makeup (stick concealer and Revlon CS powder) goes on nicely. Hydralight seems long-wearing and transfer-resistant: I have to work to get it all off at night! I'm not in the sun much during the workweek (15-min walk each way), but everyone knows an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :) The price seems a bit steep at $29 for 2oz but Hydralight is the best facial sunscreen I've found. I strongly suggest ordering samples from the PC site before committing to a full size. I will be purchasing this again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I LOVE THIS STUFF!! I use it religiously on the eye area every day because the skin there is too sensitive to tolerate chemical sunscreens. The white cast is not too terrible and can be blended away. This doesn't irritate my skin at all and doesn't run into my eyes. I use it on the rest of my face when I'm having a drier or more sensitive day than usual. This is a little pricey for a sunscreen but since I use a small amount each day and it's so great it's more than worth the price. I strongly recommend this if you have sensitive skin or just want a good sunscreen for the eye area.

Just ordered my second and third bottle of this sunscreen and I am in love! Unfortunately Asian sunscreen does not ship to me (Canada) I have tried. I would love to try those but I have really sensitive skin so the alcohol may be an irritant but I'd love to try it still, Anyways! this sunscreen is great. I have been using it for a couple of months now. The smell people are talking about does not affect me and I have a perfume allergy so this is good news. It goes on white but if you let it sink in for the 15-20 min before you go into the sun then it is not noticeable. I do have dry skin so I put moisturiser on before it. It really makes my skin seem less red and the sun protection bonus is great. I am 25 and just recently have been putting sunscreen on every day and ever two hours when exposed to the sun. My skin while covered in hormonal acne :( does not get irritated by this at all! YAY, I also was blessed by some great genes to have acne prone skin...I don't even wear make-up! I just do my skincare routine and put on sunscreen and I am out the door ready to go. My skin while acne riddled does look smoother and younger and just... well, I cant even explain it...It just looks healthy. Please protect yourself from the sun!