Paula's Choice Hydralight Shine-Free Daily Mineral Complex SPF 30

3.4

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 6%; Titanium Dioxide 2.32% (sunscreens). Other Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate (thickener),Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents and skin protectants), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Methicone (emollient), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (emollient thickeners), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer (film-forming agent), Isohexadecane (dry-finish solvent), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Propylene Glycol (moisture-binding agent), Polyglyceryl-6 Isostearate (emollient), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant),Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (antioxidant), Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agents), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin, Panthenol (skin-repairing ingredients), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Alumina, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickeners), Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone (skin-conditioning agent), Diethylhexyl Carbonate (emollient), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

on 1/24/2015 2:25:00 PM

On the third tube of this already. Surprised by the terrible reviews here but I'm someone that struggled through manyyyyy brands just to look for a moisturizer. I broke out to many many of them. Until I found this. I could say this is my holy grail product. It's a mineral sunscreen so that's great, chemical sunscreen never ever works for me. This is lightweight as the name implies, absorbs well, great for combination skin in my opinion. Dryer skin will require something heavier I feel. There's def a white cast to it when you first apply but I think that comes with mineral sunscreen, it sinks in after awhile so no worries. I would take that over chemical sunscreen. This product takes into account both sensitive AND combination skin. Just amazing.

on 1/21/2015 4:22:00 PM

pros:
-mineral sunscreen (zinc & titanium dioxide)
-lightweight & somewhat moisturizing, so many mineral sunscreens can be so thick and hard to apply
-no fragrance
-spf 30, broad spectrum
-price is fairly reasonable because paula's choice is always having sales and you can get $10 off your first order with a promo link
-no animal testing

cons:
-since it's a mineral sunscreen it can give a slight white tint after application but that can be easily remedied by either applying some tinted powder over it and/or mixing in drop or two of tinted moisturizer or foundation
-I wish they would change the packaging to a pump formula but the tube is manageable

overall I would highly recommend this for daily use, especially for those who have sensitive skin :)

on 12/14/2014 10:54:00 PM

Im quite surprised at some reviews on here and I have to wonder are we even talking about the same product?

This is a VERY light weight sunscreen with the weakest hint of moisture. In fact, I was surprised to find that this is the first sunscreen Ive ever actually had to put a lightweight moisturiser on with (FYI I have combo extremely acne prone skin). It does have a faint white cast but nothing crazy like Invisible Zinc and probably the faintest white cast left from any mineral sunscreen Ive tried.
The only reason I didnt give it a 5 is because its not the best to put makeup over (EL Double Wear, Rimmel 25hr) but it is better since Ive put a moisturiser on underneath. It can also build up and flake in my eyebrows which is annoying but most zinc sunscreens have done that to me.

I will purchase again purely because it isnt breaking me out. I may purchase some samples of other PC sunscreens as I am currently using her Clear 3 step system and enjoying it.

I was SO excited to try this product. I was looking into paula's Choice for a while and although i dont always agree with her ratings, she usually made sense. Her products are resonably priced.... but i am so disappointed with this product!! I tried this beause i have fair/ porcelain skin and can get breakouts easily with chemical sunscreens. This product has a thick consistancy, i realized that when i first got it, but i gave it a go anyway. I got the worst acne the entire time i used it. I NEVER get cystic acne but this gave me it!!!! I dealt with embaressing clogged pores for a few weeks. Don't think ill be trying any of her other products. Very upset with her because she claims she had acne prone skin herself. Yet their are pore clogging ingrediants in this! :(

on 8/6/2014 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Pros:
- High SPF
- Comes in a tube, not a jar
- Great price

Cons:
- Leaves a white cast on my face and in my beard
- Scent is unpleasant

on 8/5/2014 3:16:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I HAD TWO SAMPLES THAT I USED ON SEPERATE OCCASIONS.
This is a lightweight sunscreen yet I would not say it is a moisturizer and sunscreen or two in one product. When I applied this it felt soothing and went on with a white cast that could be blended in easily . Thankfully the TiO2 and zinc oxide did not seem to flake and it did not seem to exaggerate oiliness in my skin but it's not mattifying either. This has titanium dioxide and zinc oxide so it's pretty gentle but can be acnegenic so be careful if you have acne prone skin.

on 7/29/2014 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Bought this based on reviews I read, and I am so glad I did! This stuff is great! Does exactly what is claims to do. Lightweight, soaks in, matte finish, works REALLY well under makeup, did not irritate my very sensitive skin. I think I have found my HG of sunscreens, that I can use everyday! I do have to let it soak in for several minutes before I apply my makeup, but it is so worth the wait time. This sunscreen did leave a very faint white cast, but is undetectable under foundation. I am really very happy with this purchase and will be ordering some more. It's $24 for a 2oz tube, we will see how long the tube lasts, because I do use it everyday. this product washes off nicely and easily. Safe for use around eye area. Ordered some pressed powder as well, but had to return it because it contains Bismuth Oxide, I am very reactive to Bismuth, so I exchanged the two powder compacts for anolther tube of this sunscreen.

on 7/13/2014 4:23:00 PM

Iīve tried that product a few times now, because the description just sounds like the summer moisturizer of my dreams! And every time I try, Iīm reminded why I didnīt purchase it since the last, long-ago try: It leaves my face a greasy, shiny oil-slick after a few hours. First, it feels good and dry and moisturizing, but then, by late morning, my face is just a mess, and no matter how much I blot, it goes on behaving like an oil-well for the rest of the day. Two lippies though for the nice ingredients and the sunprotection - but in general, itīs just not right for me. No, I wonīt buy this again - from now on not even as a sample anymore.

on 6/9/2014 9:14:00 AM

I expected a lot from this product. However, it did not quite deliver. First, it is light which is nice. There is a slight white cast, which I'm not a fan of but could be easily toned down by adding a little bronze-toned foundation or tinted moisturiser with a similar SPF. However what I really did not like about this is that while it has a somewhat shiny finish, it also made my skin look really dry – seriously, it highlighted wrinkles I didn't know I had. If this was an SPF50 I could put up with that, but for SPF30 the sheer matte tint is so much more elegant. A fail for me.

I only used this for a few days, but I think I hate it more than the Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense. While the Ultra-Sheer totally dried out my skin, this made me the oiliest I've ever been.

When I applied it, I was dissapointed by the white-cast it gives (classic Paula's Choice sunscreen). But it applied smoothly, unlike the Ultra-Sheer. Normally, I get a bit oily in the afternoon, but with this, I was super oily after about an hour. I don't know why this product is listed as normal to oily.

As with the Ultra-Sheer, makeup application (foundation and concealer specifcally) result in flaking of the product. Also, I scratched my face a few hours after application and I got a bunch of white stuff under my nails. Do not recommend.

My last hope for a PC SPF is now the RESIST Wrinkle Defense.