September 22, 2014 | 1970 users online

Polishes - Zoya - Piaf

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by urang

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

~NC27 here, and I probably own as many yellow polishes as I do gold ones. I only bought Piaf because it was marked down to $.97 and I needed a "throw in" color to reach a minimum purchase requirement. I ended up going back for 4 more bottles!

Pros: Versatility!
- office appropriate color, not loud
- good as a base color, e.g., alternative to using white under neon polish
- with a holographic/glitter topper it absolutely reads as gold (think OPI Honey Ryder), not yellow
- worn alone it is a unique shade, greenish or grayish basenotes, it does have shimmer but it's not frosty or glittery
- "palate cleanser" mani: one coat of Piaf + 2 coats SH Glass Slipper = gleaming but subtle manicure

Cons:
- typical Zoya formula issues (YMMV) = Each coat takes a looooooooong time to fully dry so there's lots of opportunity for dings to occur. Even when Zoya is fully dry, its finish still feels kind of 'soft', and it emits an odor the whole time it is drying. I don't live in a humid area, and even so, I still advise to let the first coat dry overnight for best results. This color is ok at 2 coats but using 3 thin coats is better, so drying time is a negative factor.
- My s.o. told me that he does not like the color on its own, to him looks like I injured my hand and have dying fingernails as a result.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Piaf is a pretty shimmery metallic yellow/gold polish that was released for spring 2013. This is a very elegant polish with a frosted finish. I really love the way this shimmers in the light. As is usual for Zoya the formula is great and this simply glides right on smoothly and evenly. The brush is a standard brush and while it isn't wide or pro style, it applies the polish easily and it is flexible enough to spread the polish well but it doesn't fan out like a pro wide brush does. I like this standard brush better since it fits my smaller nails better than a pro wide brush. This is opaque in 2 coats but 3 probably would have been better since there is still some visible nail line. This is definitely a color that says "Spring" and it brings to mind cute little downy Easter chicks or a satin ribbon from an Easter basket. It's that same muted yellow but it's oddly grayed like a dirty yellow in a way. Egg yolk yellow maybe? Whatever it is, it IS pretty, but it is not a clear clean bright sunny yellow, it has some undertones that give this a gold tone more than a yellow one at times. I'm sitting here admiring the shimmer and tilting my hand in the light to watch it dance. It's just so delicate and elegant and such a pretty shimmer...sigh. I want to love this polish. The polish is really gorgeous but sadly, it simply doesn't look very good with my skintone. Maybe if I used a base color for undies I can get a cleaner look from this and a better match for my coloring? It's worth a try since this is a really beautiful polish if I can make it work for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another great quality polish from Zoya, I'm just not that keen on the color, which has been well described here.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by Hadew1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

What a weird color! Not saying it's a BAD color, but definitely unusual!

This is a dusty light shimmery yellow. It applies quite nicely--took two thick coats or three thin ones to eliminate VNL, not too thick/sticky nor too thin/watery. Unfortunately, it looks almost childish on my hands--pretty, but not as polished as a nude, pink, red or dramatic polish would be. I think this will be the perfect Easter color, as it reminds me almost exactly of fuzzy chicks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by paintedtoes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Piaf is a lovely opaque muted shimmery light yellow. I usually use two coats for full coverage, but with one coat it gives a nice sheer glow with little streaking. It is appropriate for most conservative work situations and gives a nice summer change from the usual nude or light pink. I love it on my hands with short nails and it goes well with my pale NW20 coloring. I do think I would like something brighter and more yellow on my toes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by GeekChick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Piaf is a pretty unique color. Zoya's website describes it as "a full-coverage, fresh forsythia yellow metallic. A light, cheerful yellow that's soft and easy to wear thanks to the subtle shimmer finish." I find that it's a light (not pale) yellow with a hint of gold. Most of the swatches I've seen online make it look like a fairly bright yellow; however, in real life I found it a bit more muted than I expected -- like it had a hint of grey or beige undertone. It does have a lovely fine shimmer. This is a good color if you'd like to try a yellow nail but are intimidated by brighter yellows! Like most Zoya polishes, the formula is great and it lasts a long time with a good base coat and top coat.