Bumble & Bumble Thickening Creme Contour

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Before this came out, I used to use the old B&B Styling Wax, but it was, well, wax. I had to heat up the surface with a blow dryer to get it soft enough, and then scrubbing it off my hands was kind of a pain. And if I used too much, my hair looked greasy. It really wasn't the right product for me. I was happy when this creme came out, because I use it the same way I used the old styling wax, but it's so much more user friendly...and forgiving.

First of all, the texture is easy to work with. The instructions are to "melt a small amount in palms and smooth through dry hair." It's easy to spread. It's not sticky, greasy, or oily. I use it to fix dry, flyaway ends. I had a few frazzled pieces the other day because I'm due for a cut and the ends are getting to be like straw. It's summer and I live near a beach, what can I say? A dab of this allowed me to twist those splitting ends into cute little curls and points and I ended up with something of a style with very little effort. Great for layered cuts, that "piecey" look.

It doesn't weigh the hair down the way Styling Wax did. It gives you a little hold but it's very light hold, so you can still get your comb or brush through anything you've done. It doesn't harden like a statue. It's soft. Granted, it's not going to give you the same hold that Sumotech would, but that's a stiffer product.

I don't mind the fragrance in this because it's a light, clean smell, and I'm just using it on the ends of my hair. Just a dab over one fingertip is the amount I normally use.

My favorite Bumble and Bumble product is Brilliantine, but that's more of a shine product. Texture gives more hold than this, but the finish is matte and I think of it as more of a paste. Thickening Creme Contour gives you softness without adding much shine. It gives dry hair a sleeker look, tames splits. If you use a small amount throughout the hair, it can give you a subtle boost in volume. I like to have it in my arsenal.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Really love this, it's taken a lot of experimentation for me to find a product of this type that does something, but isn't too heavy for my hair. I have fine hair but a ton of it and it has a strong natural wave to it. My hair is short, about a chin length, and cut in a textured bob. I wear it wavy everyday, either I let it air dry or blow dry and curl it and then finish with texturizing spray and then take a small amount of this through the ends and it adds shine and hold without being too waxy and strong. I used Semisumo before and it was too waxy and heavy for my hair. I also used Oribe rough luxury and I loved that but it really needed to be worked into my hair, and doing so would destroy the wave in my hair. This is perfect, and provides actual shaping to my waves. I also think this is a good value for the price considering the small amount it takes to achieve my desired result. Would definitely recommend for finishing wavy/curly styles if you have finer hair.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought this in addition to the Dryspun Finish and these together are amazing! My hair is long, past my brastrap, very fine, blond and at my age I have tried quite a few different lines in different price ranges and have decided that BB is the only one that is consistently worth the price. The thing is to experiment a bit, try less of the product, mix it with their other products which is fun because it really does produce different effects. How I use this product...I swipe a bit out of the jar so that my fingertips are evenly coated, not a lot!!! just a fine coating. Then I rake the underside of my hair, close to my scalp and it gives this lift I love. It smells sooo good too. I have very sensitive skin and I have had no breakouts using this against my scalp. The other way I use it is on the very tips of my hair. It keeps them separated and smooth and NO static when I'm wearing tech gear that produces static, like a nylon down vest or jacket for skiing or mountainbiking. I also sometimes carry Invisible Hairdressers Oil for that too, their sample glass vial is perfect to stick in a pocket. It gets cold in Minnesota and it makes long hair stick out like I'm touching an electric ball. I'm just every impressed with BB's Thickening line up and this one hasn't failed me and I'm nearly done with my jar, just like my can of the Dryspun. If you have very fine blond long hair, these have worked incredibly well for me if you are careful on how much you use. And the other thing is, they also layer very well with other BB products.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The Thickening Crème Contour is a new addition to the Bumble and Bumble thickening range. I have long, fine, wavy hair that goes naturally into a side part sort of retro style. A few months ago I got chin length bangs that I sweep to the heavy side of my part. I don't feel like using hairspray or heavy products, but just wanted to gently encourage my bangs to stay off my face and stick with the rest of my hair. Also, I wanted some frizz control and something that would hold my style without weighing down my fine hair. I did a ton of research, and finally bought the crème contour online.

It is a very small jar, but I think that is alright because you only need a small amount. The smell is quite strong, but dissipated once it was on my hair. I take out a little scoop (quarter sized or less) and rub it between my hands. I then smooth it through all of my hair. Then, I gently push my hair into the style I want it to stay in.

I am actually really impressed with this product. It holds gently and adds some density and volume to my hair, which is exactly what I expected.

This is not a thickening product in itself, since you use it on already styled hair, but I found it actually does give some thickness to my hair.

Maybe there are better (and cheaper) products for doing what I want, but this seems really good. And if you have retro pin-up hair, either by nature or by design, this seems like a good cream to use for shaping your waves and style.

EDIT: After using this for awhile I have to lower the rating and say I wouldn't repurchase. It is just not foolproof enough. If you use even a little bit too much, your hair looks greasy, stringy, dirty, and flat. It is too hard to get the amount you use down to such an exact science and, for the price (almost $30) I just don't think you should have to work so hard to make a product perform how it should.

Popular Styling Products