October 22, 2014 | 1840 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sephora - Sephora by OPI UV Effects Top Coat

rated 3.0(1 review)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2013 1:20:00 PM More reviews by EscalatorKid

I was going on a trip to Disneyland, and my thing is to have blacklight reactive nail polish so my nails glow on the rides. Stupid, yeah, probably, but it is a cute thing to do.

I had lost my old bottle of NYC Demon Glow, so I needed a replacement ASAP. I stumbled on the Sephora by OPI UV Effects Top Coat. It is supposed to change the look of nail polish in the sun (UV) and also, it is obviously blacklight reactive.

It's your standard, clear top coat, but I ended up just putting it on in two coats by itself, which is never an issue.

My friend put it over top of an Emerald/Peter Pan Green nail polish.

For my nails, it did what I wanted it to. I applied it on a Tuesday, and did four days at Disneyland, and then a couple of days of beach and travel. I returned home the following Tuesday. In the course of that week, my nails turned yellow. It seriously looks like I have nicotine stains or something. It looks awful. Where it has peeled, you can see the drastic color difference. I don't know if it is because I applied it by itself, but I can assure you that my Demon Glow (the cheap, $3 drugstore alternative) NEVER turned yellow.

On my friend's nails, there seemed to be no real appearance difference. Her green polish didn't look any different in the sun than it did without the UV Top Coat. It also only minimally glowed under the blacklights, but that is probably attributable to the fact that she used a dark color that normally wouldn't glow either.

This brand has been discontinued anyhow, but for $9.50, I expect my nails not to turn yellow like old adhesive does. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but it was clear for a couple of days, and then it changed. I don't know if it would look as bad over top of a colored nail polish, but it looks bad by itself after just a few days.