April 18, 2014 | 1972 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - HD Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by GirlyRunnerGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this powder. I only wear BB cream and this helps give it a finished look. I use this typically to set by concealer under my eyes and sometimes but not always for the rest of my face. I prefer to use a powder with some color for the rest of my face but great for under eye. I hate the packaging though so big and bulky and messy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

This is great, not the best but it gets the job done. I recently rediscovered this product and I love setting my foundation with it. Since it's winter time, other powders make me look extra flaky but this one leaves my skin smooth and lasts all day. My favorite way to apply this is with a stippling brush but my face can have a white cast if I'm not careful with the application. A great alternative to MUFE

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2014 1:28:00 PM More reviews by majesticax

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this with a passion. I recently broke out severely due to hormonal acne, and was desperate for covering. I've had this product sitting on my vanity for a good solid year, and after I applied my (dermatologist brand) full coverage BB, I decided to set it with this. The other powders I tried setting it with made my acne more noticeable, this didnt. I will be turning to this more often now, thanks ELF!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 8:16:00 PM More reviews by PaleInComparison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Edited to add thoughts after a few months use and figuring out how to use this product best:

I bought this on sale, hoping it might be a good replacement for another loose face powder that is no longer being made. When I first applied it I admit I didn't love it, but I mistakenly thought it was an all in one powder. I had read many reviews that said to use a face or kabuki brush to apply, but I found it just gave me a white cast and put way too much product on my already pale face. Once I started using the included puff and only applied it where I had imperfections and on my cheeks, I liked it a lot more. I make sure I set my makeup or it will cling to any cream products though. This is not a setting powder to me and I don't recommend using it that way.

I happen to really like e.l.f.'s studio line look, but I took off one lippie because I will need to replace the puff inside of the container at least once more. I noticed a lot of people don't like powder puffs but I feel this is the best way to apply this product for consistent results. I hold the puff in the well of the container, turn it upside down and it dispenses the perfect amount of product to touch up my blemishes and blur them out. I occasionally use a soft fluffy brush to lightly dust over my entire face, but even then I can pick up too much product easily.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 6:59:00 AM More reviews by Ancatje

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Well, I'm not as thrilled with this as most others are...
What I like: very cheap for the huge amount you get, "translucent" (we'll get to that later), controls oil somewhat.
What I don't like: bulky messy packaging, can leave a white cast (I'm very fair so not so much of a problem for me, and it does go away after a while once it blends with your natural oils), and most irritating for me - it's NOT finely milled, so doesn't go on as smoothly as I'd like and you can also see it on my face, that is until my natural oils take that chunkiness down after I've worn it for maybe half an hour.
All in all, decent powder, but there are other drugstore brands that perform better, so I would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 9:14:00 AM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product on a whim. I really needed some powder, wanted an HD one, and could more easily get to the ELF brand rather than traveling to Sephora for the NARS one (Sephora is 50 min. drive for me).

Packagin: First the packaging is VERY elegant. I couldnt' believe I was buying ELF! I love the matte black and the rounded square shape. I took a lippie off because because the container is HUGE!!! I just ordered a small travel loose powder container from Amazon (haven't received yet) to take this powder with me on an upcoming vacation. Who knows, if I like the simpler packaging, I may use it all the time like this.

Tip: One thing I did to make this powder not quite as messy. When I took label off the sifter, I only partially removed it, exposing just 2-3 holes. This powder is ULTRA fine-milled. The finest I've ever used (I'm not usually a powder person - more on that in a minute). A few holes is all it takes easily access product.

What I'm using product for: I have had such DRY skin FOREVER. I've been really upping my game and my skin has responded marvelously and is more in the "normal" range. Also my sunscreen makes me a little shiny. I needed something to knock back the shine in t-zone.

Performance: It is very matte but not too matte. I do like a glowier look and just add some highlighter on key spots. Most importantly LOOKS AIRBRUSHED. It looks SOFT FOCUS. No cakey look. No "powdery church lady" look. I've never used powder like this.

BTW, I have since tried the NARS LRP, I really couldn't tell a difference. The NARS has some shimmer in container but you cannot see it once you apply it. Note: the ELF powder has no shimmer.

HG!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 12:24:00 AM More reviews by KrysteenaZ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

E.L.F has done it again! I've a so many different HD powders and none work as well as this one! For only $6 it goes above and beyond it really does. I love it. My face looks so flawless after I apply this over my makeup and it looks beautiful. Definitely a steal. The container is spill proof because the top screws on and off and has a strainer. It comes with a a lot of powder too. The best HD powder I've ever used.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Lynnnguyen

I love this powder. It controls shine and sets well. It gets messy so I never carry it in my purse. Plus I don't need to ever touch up anyways. I apply this with the ELF studio kabuki brush then use a duo Fibre Stippling brush (nyx) to dust away excess. This makes my skin really soft

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by RomaSae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this HD powder! I don't know how it compares to others (MUFE, NYX, etc.), but I do know that I love it. It is such a finely milled powder and feels like silk on my skin. I find that it blurs imperfections like large pores and acne bumps while also making blush and bronzer look especially well blended (when applied over them). I haven't noticed a white cast to my face in person like others have, but just a reminder: HD powders are not good for flash photography! (Or so I hear...I haven't had any modeling jobs since buying this product.)

Now, to talk about the packaging. I actually like how it looks. Yes, it's big, but if you use a large fluffy brush to apply it like I do, then you'll find it's the perfect size to dip your brush in and get just the right amount. I tend to tap of extra in the cap to avoid over applying.

I like that the pachaging is not a square of 90 degree angles. It has a more rounded look that reminds me of Chanel. The matte black looks classy. I even like the sound it makes as I open it.

My one and only problem is the plastic insert sifter. I don't know if this is a common problem, but the plastic doesn't fit tight enough to prevent product from coming out around the sides. It's so frustrating! A lot of the product actually fell out during shipping, and I know I won't be able to travel with it. I contacted ELF's customer service--they refunded the money, so I can't really complain, but I will be looking for a sifting jar I can travel with.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by lillicannon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this both in white and tone correcting yellow. I mix them together, more white in the winter and more yellow when I am tanned. They are by far the one product I could not live without. The yellow really does cancel out redness but can be a bit dark for my fair skin by itself, and the white is too pale by itself. They look a bit powdery when first applied; just wait a minute for it to melt into skin.

These are amazingly mattifying. I normally have to blot my face 8 times a day, but with these on, I only blot about 3 times, and could get away with less. On top of that, the texture of the powder absorbs all visible oil, so I don't look shiny, even if blotting would reveal oil. This is amazing for someone so oily!

I use these both alone on days my skin is perfect, and under or over foundation on days I need more makeup. Have repurchased many times and will repurchase again.