Vitamin C Hair Color Remover

4.8

on 4/21/2015 3:23:00 AM

I've dyed my hair light brown about three years ago. Then I dyed it jet black. About four times during the last two years. I haven't dyed my hair for about six months, and want to get rid of some of the black hair dye so I can dye my hair a lighter color. My hair is long, a bit past my elbows. Yesterday, I crushed up about 9-10 vitamin c pills and mixed it w/ some shampoo. Applied it to my hair and waited about two hours. I washed my hair and most of the black faded and left my hair a darkkk brown. At least its not black anymore. Today I did the same thing, except I waited for 30 mins. My hair faded some more. Its now a darkish brown? Defintely not black. The only downside is that it left my hair dryy, but no big deal. Conditioned my hair and it was soft again. :D

on 4/15/2015 2:31:00 AM

My hair length is about two 2 1/2 inches beneath my shoulders. I dyed my hair with Clairol perfect 10 shade n9 which is a level darker than the color I normally use which is shade 10. In the interest of wanting my hair to color evenly I choose to use for the first time neutral protein filler. II applied it to my hair for approximately 20 minutes before I colored. Then I gently blew my hair dry. Then Because my roots usually pick up a lot of red I decided I would put Ardell gold red corrector plus drops into the color developer solution after I had mixed it together. Directions said I should put 15 drops for every ounce of color and I had bought two bottles of color so each bottle was 2 1/2 ounces so I added 37 drops of this purple solution to the dye. The result was absolutely horrifying. my hair came out a muddy pink and the ends were all gray. It was so bad I felt like crying. The only positive thing about the whole thing was that mohair surprisingly felt very soft . The next morning, I put some cocunut oil in my hair because I thought I may re color. however, I kept thinking to myself I don't want to damage my hair . I've done that a few times in the past. Did some googling and stumbled across many positive reviews about vitamin C as an option to remove hair color. Also read about baking soda, dishwashing detergent, ketchup and vinegar. I'd done them all in the past except vit c. Baking soda works but it's very harsh to the hair. The only choices I would not recommend. So that left vit c. I thought it was worth a shot because everyone said it was mild treatment for the hair that caused very little dryness. So I bought the cheap brand care one vit c. Crushed 16 tablets into a powder and added it to vo5 clarifying shampoo called kiwi. Washed my hair with the clarifying shampoo 2x to get the coconut oil out of my hair then put the vit c shampoo mixture on my head for 60 mins. It was not messy and I didn't need a cap. The result is Phenomenal my hair is a really pretty light golden blonde which was what the box showed it should be. And best of all my hair isn't damaged. It's still nice and soft. I won't need another treatment. I'm completely satisfied. This is what anyone who made a mistake coloring their hair should do first to fix the color.i should mention the person who first put the vit c technique on the net said it's very important to rinse you hair very well after you remove the vit c shampoo. Said vit c breaks color bond allowing you to rinse the color from your hair. But if you do not rinse well the bond can re establish and the color you removed can return. After I rinsed it out about 10 minutes I used John Frieda intensive repair conditioner.

on 3/31/2015 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Holy hot damn, you guys. It actually works. I did not expect this.

First up, hair history!

About a week ago I got my color stripped by a salon, being promised a dark ash blonde. It turned a peachy dark blonde with lots of red, and I later discovered massive ugly copper streaks. I went in and had it 'fixed' and they said all they could do was darken it to try to cover the orange.

It went way too dark and still had lots of red undertones. They said they'd only bleach it again if I shelled out another 100+. I wanted to get rid of it all, and go back to my trusted policy of f*cking up my own hair rather than paying someone to do it.

The process!

I dissolved (my pills were way too hard to crush) about 9 500 mg Vit c tablets in enough water to cover the pills. Microwaving for very short spurts of about 10 seconds helped to dissolve them. I then added a few tablespoons of basic cheap shampoo and a tablespoon of olive oil. Then I massaged it into damp hair, covered with a shower cap, blasted it with a hair dryer before covering it with a cap for an hour.

The results!

It removed BOTH color processes and took me back to the lightness of my hair when it was bleached, I'd dare say even slightly lighter. That's saying a lot considering I had a shitload of color buildup. I was worried that the orange would pop back up/it would be uneven, but I used a purple shampoo to tone just in case and it looks somewhat bearable for now. It seems to have 'got the red out' better than bleach! Or maybe that's just the remnants of the ash-based color. Certainly lightened enough for me to baby my hair for a bit and recolor close to my natural color in a month or so, which was my goal.

The condition of my hair is quite okay, too! After a deep conditioner it's like nothing happened. I might try another treatment just to see what happens, hope I don't push my luck! Will update. :)

UPDATE: Repeated the process today. Not as dramatic a difference as the first treatment, but lightened my hair a further half-shade and pulled more red out. My hair was left with a kind of super fluffy cotton candy-like appearance so I'm gonna leave well enough alone. I don't think it can do that much more for me anyway, considering I'm at the level I want to be, just too reddish still.

So in summary, it seems to remove color to some extent, but expect to repeat treatment many times to pull multiple layers of color (and especially red). I think perhaps it only worked so well for me because of the recent bleaching and the porosity that comes with.

on 3/25/2015 5:27:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I am in my mid 60's, and have fairly thick long hair (middle of my back) which is heavily salt & pepper with a lot of silvery white on the top which gets progressively darker underneath ( I had very dark brown hair when I was young).

So about 1.5 years ago I tied up about 2/3ds of the top part of my hair which is the whitest and left that alone. I then dyed the hair underneath with a demi- permanent rince (Black by Nice & Easy). It never really ever washed out. It actually looked great for about a year, but over time the black faded to brown ( and that was still ok) and eventually I was left with about the last 4 inches of my hair a brassy sort of reddish brown. I could just cut the 4 inches off - but decided to try this Vit C color remover instead first.
Since it's been a year and a half since I dyed it and there was still color there- I didn't have much hope.

I used a teaspoon of 95% Vit C powder (my friend has some and uses it as a facial treatment) and mixed just enough Head & Shoulders to make a soft paste. I applied it to the last 4 inches of (dry) hair and let it sit uncovered for 30 minutes. Then I showered and washed my whole head with Head & Shoulders, rinsed & conditioned - then rinsed again.

I an pleasantly SHOCKED that about 90% of the color is gone, and what was brown and brassy is now my normal salt & pepper gray/silver color and blends in with the rest of my hair great. I'll probably do this one more time to get the last little bit. I am amazed- and had to join just to post this.! Thanks for the tip!

UPDATE: So yesterday I did this whole procedure again in the morning. Then towel dried my hair & put cold pressed virgin coconut oil on most of my hair ( especially the last 4 inches of hair) and left it over night. Today I showered it all away & with Head & Shoulders & conditioned - and I have to say I think this procedure has taken off the last 10% of color that was remaining . My hair is soft, and no damage!

on 1/15/2015 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I was not expecting this to work, at all. I'm so pleasantly surprised.

My hair is naturally a dark brown/almost black color, and I use L'Oreal Hicolor Hilift to get my hair to a medium/dark brown. So I was trying to touch up my dark roots, but I suppose I left the Hicolor on too long, and my hair came out a touch too light. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I wanted it to be my normal deep brown color, so I ran out to the drugstore (too lazy to go to Sally's and buy dye/developer) and bought a box dye in dark brown. As I left it on, I noticed my hair turning black. I didn't leave it the full 25 minutes and rinsed it out when I panicked about the dark color, but it was too late, my hair was already strong, intense black. Not even a pretty natural color, but almost gothic. It was horrible.

For a couple of days I let it go. I didn't trust my usual relatively cheap salon with hair coloring, and didn't want to spend the money for a really good salon. I tried to learn to like it. But it was too harsh and I couldn't deal, so I searched online for a way to fade the color. I figured I'd try this b/c it didn't sound too damaging, and I had the ingredients at home anyway.

I crushed about 30 vitamin c tablets in a ziploc bag with a rolling pin, and just mixed it with enough shampoo to work it through my hair. I used normal shampoo, but one w/ sulfates, which will strip hair more. I left it on for roughly an hour. Doing this twice, the black was completely removed from my hair, leaving me with my original deep brown color, and I am SO relieved.

Obviously this won't lighten hair, I think it will just return you to the lightest color your hair has been by stripping out the dark dyes. I used deep conditioner following the treatment each time and haven't noticed any damage. It's great.

on 1/10/2015 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had dyed my level 7 blonde hair to light brown for more than 10 years, but with age, this dark color started to look harsh on me. I read about this method a few years back, so I decided to give it a try. With two applications of vitamin C paste, I was able to get very close to my natural shade - a faded-out, but at the same time still slightly darkened version of it. I am a cosmetologist student and we are being taught that a dye will not lift dye, but in this case the rule doesn't seem to apply. I was able to lift my still somewhat pigmented hair to a level 8 blonde with dye only. And the funny thing is: not one of the school's instructors have ever heard of this method. It works beautifully and the damage it causes is practically nonexistent. I guess that the drying effect some users mentioned is more likely due to the shampoo in which the hair sits for an extended period of time. Even without ascorbic acid, a harsh shampoo like Head and Shoulders, or a dish-washing liquid for that matter, will dry out the hair considerably. I used a mild, organic shampoo, but on damaged hair I would even try using a conditioner.

This works! I had blonde highlighted hair. Decided to dye it red with box dye. Then maintained the red with ION color brights semi-permanent. My hair was shockingly red. I liked it enough to keep it that way for a couple weeks then got super super sick of it and wanted to go back to blonde. I crushed up a lot (30-40) vitamin c pills in a ziplock bag. I mixed it with a sulfate free clarifying shampoo and applied to towel dried hair. Really worked it in there and got it lathered up. Put on a shower cap and waited about an hour. After washing and blow drying my hair is still red, but faded about 2 - 3 shades lighter. Very noticeably lighter with blonde highlights showing through the red. I haven't seen a highlight in my hair since I started the journey to being a redhead. It removed both the semi-permanent and permanent. I definitely have to do it a few more times but the difference is huge after just one application. And my hair feels just a little dry. Nothing major and much less, if any, damage than bleaching the color out would cause.
This is one of those pinterest DIY's that actually work. I never write reviews but this I had to share.

on 1/25/2014 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am the person who posted originally on the Web (on the hennaforhair fotum) about this method, in 2010. At that time, I was attempting to find a method for removing a direct (not deposit) dye from my hair. I had been using indigo plant dye for several years, and no one had found a successful method to lighten it.

After weeks of research, which included enlisting a chemist friend (he found nothing), I found an obscure article that hinted obliquely at the possibility of using citric acid to break the bond of direct dye to keratin via reduction. There was/is a caveat, however: it is necessary to rinse for quite a long time to completely remove as much dye as possible, longer than a normal rinse that simply removes product. Otherwise, you will notice a redarkening of the hair as the direct dye molecules re-establish. I posted this in my original thread, but it seems to be forgotten (and then people say that this method doesn’t work, or doesn’t work well).

Trust me, it works. It will not, as noted above, completely remove direct dye. But, as my master colorist stylist noted, once you get the color to budge, the hair will gradually lighten, and that is what happened for me. I used this method 4 times initially, let it lighten further over the next 6 months, then did it again a couple more times. Result: my hair went from opaque black to a deep auburn with beautiful highlights (ie, not opaque). And they said it couldn’t be done.

Since that original 2010 post, it seems that the method has gone viral. I certainly didn’t expect that! But I am pleased to see that my post in an obscure forum was helpful and that so many have found it useful.

Just don’t forget to rinse, rinse, rinse (I set a kitchen timer for 5 minutes). And you can buy Cheap vitamin C powder at Trader Joe’s or Amazon. As far as type of shampoo, I used cheap, plain drugstore shampoo for this task. The simpler the formulation, the better (no conditioners or proteins).

Magdalene

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

So let's see - I chose to use this method to lighten up some dark patches that were left behind from my hasty home bleach job - I'm trying to get my hair light brown and ended up with something resembling light auburn with random black patches. No thanks. I didn't want to rebleach because it ravaged my hair and I actually ended up cutting a lot off. I bought a bottle of 30 chewable vitamin C tablets from the dollar store and crushed them up with pestle. Then I added about a quarter cup of pomegranate Sunlight dishwashing detergent. I got my hair a little bit damp and slathered it on. Wrapped it up in a plastic bag and watched Anna Karenina. Two hours later I lathered it up in the shower and rinsed and rinsed. There was colour coming out but who knows if that was the food colouring from the vitamin C or not. I went to bed with wet hair so had to wait until morning to see the results but I was pleasantly surprised. All the black patches were now a medium red. My other already lightened spots were lighter copper brown.

Now for the reason I took one lippie off - my hair STINKS SO BAD!!! When I first washed it out it smelled sickenly sweet. It was making me want to gag. It seemed to be gone when I woke up and my hair was dry. But just now had a shower and washed my hair 3 times to try and get the smell out. It has morphed into a gross, sort of vitamin C scent plus how my hair smells when I accidentally burn it with a straightener, smell. I can't stand it! Now I'm scared to put the intended light ash brown on it because I don't want any crazy unexpected chemical reaction. So, I shall wait until the smell goes away. Ugh. I think I would definitely do this again though, but perhaps use a different brand of vitamin C (sans food colouring) and an unscented dish detergent - or maybe Head and Shoulders - or something.

P.S. prepare to deep condition a lot because this dries the heck out of your hair. But I'm sure it can't be as bad as what bleach does. I hope.

This review is for Vitamin C powder mixed with shampoo as a means of lightening previously dyed hair.
The story: A while ago, I'd had my hair professionally dyed red. The color was great, but as we all know, reds fade very quickly.
Cut to a week ago - my red had faded considerably and my roots were dark. Not cute. But I'm trying to save money, so I decided to go the DIY route and re-red myself.
I went to Sally's and concocted my own mixture using Wella Color Charm. It turned out well, but much deeper and more burgundy than I'd planned. I wanted something lighter and more fiery/copper for summer.
So - I checked out YouTube to see if anyone had a solution for bringing dyed hair up a couple of shades. I found a few tutorials on using vitamin C tablets mixed with shampoo as a treatment.
I decided to try it. I got vitamin C powder at Trader Joe's and mixed it with shampoo. The tutorial I'd seen featured crushed-up tablets of Vitamin C (I had powder already, so didn't bother with this) and Head and Shoulders shampoo mixed with dishwashing liquid(!). I didn't feel like destroying my hair, so I went with a moisturizing shampoo (Nexxus Humectress).

I mixed the Vit C powder together with the shampoo till I had a liquid that was thick but still spreadable. It's important to dampen your hair before applying this, or you'll find it difficult to work through. I applied this mixture to my whole head, added a bit more water to lather it up a little and make sure it was applied evenly and thoroughly. Then I put a plastic cap on and waited for one hour - then washed this mixture out and conditioned.
The reviews I saw on YouTube were mixed, but for me this worked PERFECTLY. My dye job was lightened several shades - from a deep burgundy red to more of a fiery red. I will say that there are places on my head where the color doesn't exactly match but I don't mind this, as it just looks like highlights. I have curly hair so it's not that big a deal - it just looks like natural color variation. It might not look so even on straighter hair.
Anyway, this is a great trick. Not sure if it would work to bring the natural color of someone's hair up any levels, but for me and my red dye, it worked like a charm.

Popular Hair Color Products