Vitamin C Hair Color Remover

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Got my hair colored yesterday, and while it was pretty, it just wasn't me. I'm a level 8 warm blonde with highlights and wanted to tone down the warmth. It was way too dark and drab. It would have washed out/faded eventually, but I didn't want to wait that long. Saw the Vitamin C method online and saw reviews on here, so I gave it a try. Took about 10 tabs and ground them into a powder, mixed with shampoo, lathered it up on my head and put a plastic cap over it. I was going to wait 45-60 minutes for it to process, but after 20 minutes I checked on it and bye bye dark and ashy, I was good to go. Used a good conditioner afterwards. I'll do this again if I get in a jam. Didn't rough up the hair as much as a shampoo cap (with bleach). But definitely check it every 5-10 minutes to monitor it's progress.

Through the years I've been almost every color of the rainbow as well as the "normal," basic colors. I decided the other day, for the first time ever, to dye my hair green. I am platinum so I knew I'd have to mix a dark blue with a yellow in order to even get close to green. I used Manic Panic After Midnight and Ion Brights in Canteloupe. My hair came out a turquoisey color on the ends and an ugly yellowy green on the roots. I now know why I never did green. Granted, it didn't come even close to what I wanted but knew if i did it a few more times I'd get it close enough if not completely emerald. I realized I am not interested in "crazy" colors right now so I wanted to go back to my platinum. After reading on the internet about the vitamin c treatment I decided to give it a try. I am AMAZED! I mixed about 8 crushed 1000 mg pills with some of my violet shampoo and Suave rosemary mint shampoo and applied it to my damp hair (my hair is a very short pixie) and put my shower cap on. It's only been on about 15 mins and I went to re-lather and ALL of the color is already gone. I still have a slight yellowy tinge so I am leaving it on for another 45 mins. I should also note my natural hair is about 97% silver and 3% dark brown and this treatment has even lifted that 3% on my roots. I am a fan. Not sure if it's drying out my hair but I will just do a nice conditioning treatment and it'll be good as new. It can't be any worse than the slight drying I get from bleaching. I'm very happy that I probably won't have to do additional bleaching.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I did this for the first time a few minutes ago after browsing on the internet looking for a natural solution to remove dark dye from my hair.

My hair: short (bob) bleached white + back to brown (all at home) = starting color was a medium/dark brown. Because my hair was pixie short and almost silver 6 months ago, it is damaged and sucks up any dark dye. If i use a 5-level shade (medium brown) it comes out as a dark brown AND it fades quickly. My natural color is dark ash blonde (level 7). When my hair is dark, my roots are silvery which is ugly. After 4 months of dying my hair brown, i decided to get closer to a level 6 (light brown) to avoid dying as much and let my hair grow. Bleaching or using a color remover is not an option since my hair is already fried.

The process: i bought 1000mg vitamin C in gelatin caps for 6$. I just removed the caps and pour the powder into a bowl. I used 20 of them (about two tablespoons of vitamin C) and a good amount of Neutrogena clarifying shampoo. I saturated my hair (but not my virgin roots) and put a plastic bag on it. I left it for 1h. Since i did not know how it was going to turn out, i decided to try it out and see.
The results: my hair is 1 shade lighter, so a medium brown with golden highlights. It is very natural and pretty even though i was hoping it would be 1 shade lighter. My roots (about 1 inch) are way less visible.

What's next? I will do it again soon but leave it for 2hrs or more.
My hair does not feel dry or more damaged than before which is GREAT.
It will take more than 1 time for sure but it's worth it since no chemicals are used!!!
5 stars indeed. I will update after my second process.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I had dyed my bleached, white blonde hair to a two toned silver with dark blue streaks. As my next hair appointment got closers I realized that I'm done with the crazy hair colours and I want to try something more natural. I contacted my stylist and she said it may be hard because my hair colour hadn't faded at all!
My first treatment I crushed 20 pills and mixed them in with kms moisturizing shampoo and head and shoulders. I applied kms moisturizing mask to my dried out ends. I applied my mixture to damp hair them wrapped it in saran wrap and left it ok an hour. When I rinsed it out I could see the colour washing out. I did a moisturizing mask after. When my hair was dried and styled it did feel a little dry but the blue was a lot lighter and the grey had faded to a very light tone. My second treatment I decided to skip the shampoo and just mix my vitamin c with conditioner. I had read that vitamin c works as an antioxidant which is why it lifts hair colour. I mixed 20 pills with kms moisturizing mask and Wella brilliance conditioner. Applied to damp hair and wrapped in saran. This time I left it on 2 1/2 hours and wore a hat to keep it warm. I washed with head and shoulders left it on about 5 minutes and then conditioned and styled as usual. My hair has no more silver colour its white blonde again, and the blue is almost completely faded out. My hair doesn't feel damaged or dry. I will probably do this one more time to get the remaining blue colour out.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

After having very unwisely dyed my blonde hair black, I tried a multiple of methods to remove the hair-color without bleach. After many attempts, my hair arrived at a dark brown shade, which still made my super pale complexion looked washed out. I decided to try this, but didn't have much hope for it as not even Color Oops had lightened my hair. I crushed about twenty tablets, mixed in several dollops of dandruff shampoo, and left it in in my hair for two hours. I didn't see much of a difference after washing it out, but when my hair dried, I saw it had lightened quite a bit, to a sort of light reddish brown with blonde streaks peaking through. My hair felt soft and not damaged in the slightest, so I am very pleased with this method and will do it again.

YES! I was so skeptickal about this especially because I tried it on my extensions (I dyed them a tad darker when I bought them to match my hair), and it didn't seem to make a difference at ALL. But, my extensions were pretty dark as it is before I dyed them so I still went ahead and tried it on my own hair. For reference, my hair is currently a dark brown (shade before black) and has been for almost a year. I usually touch up my roots only but I've run the Color through my hair a couple times during the year it's been dark. Anyway, I'll describe what I did and my results:
I crushed up about 30 500mg vitamin c tablets and since I first wanted to test it on a small part of my hair, I used about 1/3 of the total powder I got out of the 30 tablets. I mixed the powder with about 1 1/2 tbsp of shampoo (no special kind, but it was a clear tresemme one), parted my hair from about the middle of my ears and applied the mixture (generously) to the bottom portion (I dampened my hair first). I wrapped the section of my hair in Saran and kept it together with a hair tie. After an hour, I took the Saran off and applied a bit more of the mixture and really rubbed it all in again. Covered it back with Saran and let it sit another half hour, maybe 45 minutes. I then rinsed and shampooed once. Didn't bother conditionin as it was only a small section of hair and I just applied some hair oil after I towel dried it. My hair didn't look any different when wet (not surprising) but I also didn't notice any Color running as I was rinsing so I wasn't too optimistic. Anyway, once I dried the hair completely, and held it up against my bangs to see if there was any difference. There was! I was shocked actually. The hair I had applied the mixture to was a shade, maybe a shade and a half lighter. I'm so pleased and can't wait to do the rest of my head. Oh and my hair feels completely fine, not dry or damaged at all. I can't see myself needing to do this more than twice but I also only want to lighten my hair about 2 shades. Would highly recommend this method to anyone looking to lighten their coloured hair. I'm seriously so impressed and I had nearly no hope for this at all.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This process was torture for my somewhat fine, porous hair. I had to do the process 3 (ok, more like 2 1/2) times to lighten up my too-dark red dye job 1-2 levels.
Here's a rundown of my application process:
Application 1 - used about 1/2c V05 Kiwi Clarifying Shampoo and 5 500mg tablets of Vitamin C. Left on about 20 minutes under a processing cap, and then I had to wash it out because it started BURNING my scalp. Rinsed as usual. Not much of a dent made in my color, but this would have been a great way to tone down too-bright color if that's what I was going for. Left me looking very drab and very slightly lighter.
Application 2 - Mixed 20 500mg vit c tabs into 1/3c ogx Brazilian Keratin Therapy shampoo. Applied off the scalp and left for 90 minutes under a a processing cap. Rinsed 30 minutes, shampooing 3 more times. Got about 1/2 level lift! Seemed to be working great! Did a coconut oil treatment overnight.
Application 3 - wanted more oomph, so I switched back to 1/2c clarifying shampoo and added 30 vit c tablets. Applied off the scalp again, wrapped in saran wrap and left on about an hour. I was having some dripping issues, and I could see the color running out every time I blotted. Rinsed for 20 minutes with one extra shampoo, deep conditioned, and... Holy Mother of God, the BREAKAGE!!!! My hair was suddenly shot to s***! And it still is. Nooooo! But my hair was probably 1 1/2 levels lighter than when I started, so at least it worked so somewhat.
I think my hair type (fine and dry) just can't handle this treatment. Strands keep breaking off. :( And it was no picnic for my sensitive skin, either. I really wish I had gone for a box of Color Oops. I was thinking Color Oops was too time-consuming and damaging, but this is way more damage than I experienced with Color Oops and took a lot more time in the end.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

So, I had my hair half natural brunette and half blonde. Im talking light, almost white blonde. It's been bleached for a little over a month and still very dry and problematic. Two days ago I made a spur of the moment decision to go dark to help my hair along and also I was bored of plain blonde and black. I went with Vidal Sassoon Midnight Muse, a PERMANENT black blue dye.
I IMMEDIATELY regretted this decision. The blonde half was DARK blue and the other half was black. It's what I expected, the color was fine and the conditioner it came with made my hair hella soft but I immediately missed my blonde.
I crushed up some vitamin C tabs and threw in some head n shoulders and slopped it onto my head. Halfway through rubbing it in the blonde side I realized that I hadn't made enough of the concoction to get all of it in that nice deep lather, so I whipped up some more. When I went to put it in my hair I saw that what was already covered was BLONDE. Pure blonde.
Unfortunately, when I went to rinse it out, my hair was left with some orange tones. I really don't know how those got there but I'm going to repeat this process tomorrow and hope for the best.
Overall worked great!

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have been coloring my hair an intense red for years. Most recently a week ago. I used Zotos Age Beautiful 5 RR, it's a great color and I love the product but I was bored. I didn't want to endure a bleach bath and having read mixed reviews about Color Oops I decided to try the vitamin c and shampoo. It worked amazing! I crushed 20 vitamin c 500mg tabs and mixed it Suave coconut shampoo. Applied to damp hair and covered for 2 hours with a plastic bag. Once I rinsed it well I couldn't believe the difference. It rinsed me pretty evenly to a strawberryish blonde. Glad this worked!

I am posting my story in hopes of helping someone else in a situation like mine.

Hair history:

Iíve been dying my hair for about 14 years. In the last 2 years, I went from a Loreal Feria red to half black/half red (a Harley Quinn look). Then I went all permanent black, hated it, and bleached 4 times in 4 months with Manic Panicís Lightning Bleach 40 volume. I wanted white, and ended up with Pikachu yellow. Put Splatís Luscious Raspberries stain, followed by Splatís Lusty Lavender for about 6 months. Tired of the neons, I wanted a plum purple, so I put on Feriaís Violet Soft Black. Because of the bleach damage, most of the color fell out on my ends and I ended up with eggplant purple on my roots and a pastel gray color on my ends. I have decided I want a full color chocolate brown. I canít bleach anymore, my hair will snap off, and now I have 3 different tones (from the half and half and then from bleaching).

My hairdresser friends have all said my only option is to cut it all off since my hair will no longer hold color, and purple is one of the "stickiest" colors there is. Where do I go from here??

(Fast fact: I have naturally dirty blonde hair, baby fine, super limp & lifeless, an A-line bob just above my shoulders)

The vitamin c & baby wash mask:

After running around google for awhile, a forum said baby wash would strip color. I didnít want to use Color Oops or anymore chemicals, my hair canít take much more. After digging further, a forum suggested Vitamin C. Itís supposed to be non-damaging but a tad bit drying. I have both on hand so I figured Iíd give it a shot.

I crushed 7 500mg pure vitamin C pills with a pill-crusher and mixed with 10 squirts of baby wash in a disposable cup, and smeared the oatmeal-like paste all over my wet hair. (I used hot water to wet my hair, itís supposed to open the cuticle) Put on a shower cap, blowdried high-heat for about 1 minute, wrapped a towel around my head for drip-prevention, and set a timer for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, I rinsed (it was a crappy rinse, Iíll admit it) and put on Beyond Zoneís Last Call hair mask (for battered & abused hair). Left it on to air dry for about 10 minutes. Jumped in the shower, rinsed everything out, and once out of the shower I used Aussieís 3 Minute Miracle conditioner as a leave-in.

I blow dried on no-heat (hey, itís just air, no heat damage!) just to get it to a ďdampĒ stage.

Looked in the mirror and OH MY GOD. My ends (about halfway down) are an ash blonde, about 2 inches is a dull pink, and about 2 inches of root is a light copper. NO MORE PURPLE! The roots are close to my natural hair color, just with a tint of red. No black, no dark colors, no purple. The best part? My bleach-frayed hair is in BETTER condition than it was before the vitamin c mask. Most likely thatís from the hair mask & Aussie leave-in, but it could also be because a lot of the ďbuildupĒ was removed from my fragile and small strands.

This vitamin c/baby wash combination is a miracle. A straight up miracle.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products