Vitamin C Hair Color Remover

4.8

on 5/2/2015 8:59:00 PM

Whoever came up with this concoction is a genius.

I have really long hair, almost to my waist. I have dyed it for as long as I can remember up until about 3 years ago. I finally got tired of keeping up with coloring my hair and it was becoming pretty damaged..

My natural hair is medium brown, and it has lots of highlights from the Hawaii sun, looked like I had a beautiful ombre. I for whatever reason decided that I was bored with it and decided to dye it a medium mahogany brown. Of course it turned out to be a dark purple red color, which looked terrible. I didn't want to try and dye it again and definitely did not want to use any chemicals to try and strip the color.

After some research I found the vitamin c technique, read many good reviews and decided it was worth a shot, especially because it is non-damaging. I was a little bit apprehensive because I was worried that it might make my hair orange, but tried it anyway.

I smashed up about 15 chewable vitamin c tabs and mixed the powder with head and shoulders shampoo and a tiny bit of dawn dish soap. I applied a generous amount to towel dried hair and let it sit for a little over an hour. I noticed the water in the shower was very orange (probably from the vitamin c tabs) but I was hopeful that it was some of the color coming out. I put a deep conditioner on my hair for about 5 minutes as it felt pretty dry.

After the shower I noticed that my hair definitely looked lighter, and after it started to dry I noticed it was about 2 shades lighter and was not at all orange or brassy. Pretty much amazed by the result. I am going to do another application tonight to try and lighten it a bit more, and I will update my review after I get the final result.

So far very impressed and happy with the results, the only issue is that it did leave my hair feeling dry but a few deep conditioning treatments will take care of that.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I just tried this over some serious layers with interesting results. It definitely worked, although I'm going to repeat the process again tomorrow to see if I can get it to lift more. It lifted all of the red and lightened the almost-black-plum (I'll explain below). Zero damage.

I can't really describe what my hair has been through, but right now, it's just above shoulder length and is naturally level 8/9 ash blonde with a lot of dimension to it -- it appears to be slightly superhuman in terms of the abuse it can take, and normally I do it myself but occasionally, I have my hairdresser take care of it for me, although I really "know" my hair at this point, but I didn't want to bleach it because 1.) it's damaged at the ends and 2.) had about an inch of natural root growth since I haven't dyed it in two months, and my natural color is impossible to dye and tone (it just looks muddy and grey or garish and yellow), and I am, after not having seen the natural color in almost 25 years, attempting to grow it out. But what I started with today was -- don't try this at home -- permanent blue-black followed by three bleach jobs so that it was platinum, which I dyed with permanent blonde dye to tone a few times, and then, in my hair schizophrenia, decided to dye black, bleach out, tone to ash (unsuccessfully), bleach cap at the hairdressers, dye red with Pravana (which turned fuchsia and then faded to bubble-gum pink by the fourth wash and didn't budge, which was not what I was going for). Then I dyed it permanent light brown to try to achieve a black cherry color, and it was gorgeous for two weeks before fading to blah brown, so I reapplied Pravana three or four times in two months. Finally, I dyed it with a permanent chocolate cherry box color which turned it almost-black but then faded to a sort of very dark plum with dusty rose colored roots. So that's what I started with, plus a month of root growth, which is the really light silvery kind of blonde that I was explaining earlier. My hair grows fast and is baby fine, flyweight, and a bit wavy, but it's also VERY oily. It's not usual hair. My hairdresser friend has found it a little bewildering because it soaks up color, will keep bits of it for ages, but won't keep bright either, but can take bleach like no one's business. It's porous. My natural hair might not be. No idea. I have been dying it for my entire adult life since I was a teenager, and I'm just a little tired of it so am trying to fade it to something that won't look too odd with the roots.

I've had bad luck with Color Oops before. It bleached my roots and turned them canary yellow and turned black to kind of a dark brown with some red. So that was horrible. It's not supposed to change your root color. So I read about the Vitamin C treatment online and thought it wouldn't hurt and...

...I mixed half of a bottle of powdered Vitamin C from the grocery store (about 35,000 mg) with about as much shampoo. It left a gross coating on my hands, and I applied it to my dry hair, which was a mistake. I put it in a plastic bag, blow dried it for about two minutes, and waited an hour and a half. When I checked it, I could see the powder hadn't dissolved, so I added water, lathered briskly for a few minutes, re-bagged it, and then waited forty-five more minutes. It didn't sting. When I washed it out, it didn't look like any color was rinsing out. I washed it with hot water, hoping to open the cuticle, and conditioned. When I dried it the pink from the chocolate cherry and Pravana was 100% gone. Where it was dyed brown and red, the developer left it bleached-looking but the Vitamin C removed the actual dye, so there is a pale yellow band there. The ends that were dyed more heavily lifted about two shades (to around a level 5 from a level 3-ish) to a warm, medium brown! Blonde roots, unchanged and wholly natural.

So, I'm going to absolutely try it again. It doesn't feel dry but soft. I'm very surprised that it budged at all since some of that was year-old permanent level 3 brown dye, and my ends are pretty crisped from too much bleaching. Curious to see if it will work again. This stuff is amazing and can take color from blonde pretty easily as well as shift black to brunette. Black to blonde, probably not, but I'll try to see if I can make the ends lighter so that as I grow it out, it's not too weird of a contrast but just a reverse ombre effect ;)

Edit: the next day, I lifted it about another half level using the same technique but switching shampoo to detergent + head and shoulders and leaving it in for 2 1/2 hours with plastic wrap plus a towel for heat. After that, it lightened, especially at the ends, but it's still a level 5 brown and more uniform. The permanent dye that was on my roots is 100% gone though. I would call this a hair color lightener but not stripper. My hair is VERY dry now, but I suspect that is from the detergent, not the vitamin C itself. It should be okay in a few days with conditioner. I'm not sure where to go from here in terms of the color. Vitamin C verdict? Great to lift 1-2 levels of even permanent dye.

on 4/21/2015 3:23:00 AM

I've dyed my hair light brown about three years ago. Then I dyed it jet black. About four times during the last two years. I haven't dyed my hair for about six months, and want to get rid of some of the black hair dye so I can dye my hair a lighter color. My hair is long, a bit past my elbows. Yesterday, I crushed up about 9-10 vitamin c pills and mixed it w/ some shampoo. Applied it to my hair and waited about two hours. I washed my hair and most of the black faded and left my hair a darkkk brown. At least its not black anymore. Today I did the same thing, except I waited for 30 mins. My hair faded some more. Its now a darkish brown? Defintely not black. The only downside is that it left my hair dryy, but no big deal. Conditioned my hair and it was soft again. :D

on 4/15/2015 2:31:00 AM

My hair length is about two 2 1/2 inches beneath my shoulders. I dyed my hair with Clairol perfect 10 shade n9 which is a level darker than the color I normally use which is shade 10. In the interest of wanting my hair to color evenly I choose to use for the first time neutral protein filler. II applied it to my hair for approximately 20 minutes before I colored. Then I gently blew my hair dry. Then Because my roots usually pick up a lot of red I decided I would put Ardell gold red corrector plus drops into the color developer solution after I had mixed it together. Directions said I should put 15 drops for every ounce of color and I had bought two bottles of color so each bottle was 2 1/2 ounces so I added 37 drops of this purple solution to the dye. The result was absolutely horrifying. my hair came out a muddy pink and the ends were all gray. It was so bad I felt like crying. The only positive thing about the whole thing was that mohair surprisingly felt very soft . The next morning, I put some cocunut oil in my hair because I thought I may re color. however, I kept thinking to myself I don't want to damage my hair . I've done that a few times in the past. Did some googling and stumbled across many positive reviews about vitamin C as an option to remove hair color. Also read about baking soda, dishwashing detergent, ketchup and vinegar. I'd done them all in the past except vit c. Baking soda works but it's very harsh to the hair. The only choices I would not recommend. So that left vit c. I thought it was worth a shot because everyone said it was mild treatment for the hair that caused very little dryness. So I bought the cheap brand care one vit c. Crushed 16 tablets into a powder and added it to vo5 clarifying shampoo called kiwi. Washed my hair with the clarifying shampoo 2x to get the coconut oil out of my hair then put the vit c shampoo mixture on my head for 60 mins. It was not messy and I didn't need a cap. The result is Phenomenal my hair is a really pretty light golden blonde which was what the box showed it should be. And best of all my hair isn't damaged. It's still nice and soft. I won't need another treatment. I'm completely satisfied. This is what anyone who made a mistake coloring their hair should do first to fix the color.i should mention the person who first put the vit c technique on the net said it's very important to rinse you hair very well after you remove the vit c shampoo. Said vit c breaks color bond allowing you to rinse the color from your hair. But if you do not rinse well the bond can re establish and the color you removed can return. After I rinsed it out about 10 minutes I used John Frieda intensive repair conditioner.

on 3/31/2015 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Holy hot damn, you guys. It actually works. I did not expect this.

First up, hair history!

About a week ago I got my color stripped by a salon, being promised a dark ash blonde. It turned a peachy dark blonde with lots of red, and I later discovered massive ugly copper streaks. I went in and had it 'fixed' and they said all they could do was darken it to try to cover the orange.

It went way too dark and still had lots of red undertones. They said they'd only bleach it again if I shelled out another 100+. I wanted to get rid of it all, and go back to my trusted policy of f*cking up my own hair rather than paying someone to do it.

The process!

I dissolved (my pills were way too hard to crush) about 9 500 mg Vit c tablets in enough water to cover the pills. Microwaving for very short spurts of about 10 seconds helped to dissolve them. I then added a few tablespoons of basic cheap shampoo and a tablespoon of olive oil. Then I massaged it into damp hair, covered with a shower cap, blasted it with a hair dryer before covering it with a cap for an hour.

The results!

It removed BOTH color processes and took me back to the lightness of my hair when it was bleached, I'd dare say even slightly lighter. That's saying a lot considering I had a shitload of color buildup. I was worried that the orange would pop back up/it would be uneven, but I used a purple shampoo to tone just in case and it looks somewhat bearable for now. It seems to have 'got the red out' better than bleach! Or maybe that's just the remnants of the ash-based color. Certainly lightened enough for me to baby my hair for a bit and recolor close to my natural color in a month or so, which was my goal.

The condition of my hair is quite okay, too! After a deep conditioner it's like nothing happened. I might try another treatment just to see what happens, hope I don't push my luck! Will update. :)

UPDATE: Repeated the process today. Not as dramatic a difference as the first treatment, but lightened my hair a further half-shade and pulled more red out. My hair was left with a kind of super fluffy cotton candy-like appearance so I'm gonna leave well enough alone. I don't think it can do that much more for me anyway, considering I'm at the level I want to be, just too reddish still.

So in summary, it seems to remove color to some extent, but expect to repeat treatment many times to pull multiple layers of color (and especially red). I think perhaps it only worked so well for me because of the recent bleaching and the porosity that comes with.

on 3/25/2015 5:27:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I am in my mid 60's, and have fairly thick long hair (middle of my back) which is heavily salt & pepper with a lot of silvery white on the top which gets progressively darker underneath ( I had very dark brown hair when I was young).

So about 1.5 years ago I tied up about 2/3ds of the top part of my hair which is the whitest and left that alone. I then dyed the hair underneath with a demi- permanent rince (Black by Nice & Easy). It never really ever washed out. It actually looked great for about a year, but over time the black faded to brown ( and that was still ok) and eventually I was left with about the last 4 inches of my hair a brassy sort of reddish brown. I could just cut the 4 inches off - but decided to try this Vit C color remover instead first.
Since it's been a year and a half since I dyed it and there was still color there- I didn't have much hope.

I used a teaspoon of 95% Vit C powder (my friend has some and uses it as a facial treatment) and mixed just enough Head & Shoulders to make a soft paste. I applied it to the last 4 inches of (dry) hair and let it sit uncovered for 30 minutes. Then I showered and washed my whole head with Head & Shoulders, rinsed & conditioned - then rinsed again.

I an pleasantly SHOCKED that about 90% of the color is gone, and what was brown and brassy is now my normal salt & pepper gray/silver color and blends in with the rest of my hair great. I'll probably do this one more time to get the last little bit. I am amazed- and had to join just to post this.! Thanks for the tip!

UPDATE: So yesterday I did this whole procedure again in the morning. Then towel dried my hair & put cold pressed virgin coconut oil on most of my hair ( especially the last 4 inches of hair) and left it over night. Today I showered it all away & with Head & Shoulders & conditioned - and I have to say I think this procedure has taken off the last 10% of color that was remaining . My hair is soft, and no damage!

on 1/15/2015 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I was not expecting this to work, at all. I'm so pleasantly surprised.

My hair is naturally a dark brown/almost black color, and I use L'Oreal Hicolor Hilift to get my hair to a medium/dark brown. So I was trying to touch up my dark roots, but I suppose I left the Hicolor on too long, and my hair came out a touch too light. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I wanted it to be my normal deep brown color, so I ran out to the drugstore (too lazy to go to Sally's and buy dye/developer) and bought a box dye in dark brown. As I left it on, I noticed my hair turning black. I didn't leave it the full 25 minutes and rinsed it out when I panicked about the dark color, but it was too late, my hair was already strong, intense black. Not even a pretty natural color, but almost gothic. It was horrible.

For a couple of days I let it go. I didn't trust my usual relatively cheap salon with hair coloring, and didn't want to spend the money for a really good salon. I tried to learn to like it. But it was too harsh and I couldn't deal, so I searched online for a way to fade the color. I figured I'd try this b/c it didn't sound too damaging, and I had the ingredients at home anyway.

I crushed about 30 vitamin c tablets in a ziploc bag with a rolling pin, and just mixed it with enough shampoo to work it through my hair. I used normal shampoo, but one w/ sulfates, which will strip hair more. I left it on for roughly an hour. Doing this twice, the black was completely removed from my hair, leaving me with my original deep brown color, and I am SO relieved.

Obviously this won't lighten hair, I think it will just return you to the lightest color your hair has been by stripping out the dark dyes. I used deep conditioner following the treatment each time and haven't noticed any damage. It's great.

on 1/10/2015 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had dyed my level 7 blonde hair to light brown for more than 10 years, but with age, this dark color started to look harsh on me. I read about this method a few years back, so I decided to give it a try. With two applications of vitamin C paste, I was able to get very close to my natural shade - a faded-out, but at the same time still slightly darkened version of it. I am a cosmetologist student and we are being taught that a dye will not lift dye, but in this case the rule doesn't seem to apply. I was able to lift my still somewhat pigmented hair to a level 8 blonde with dye only. And the funny thing is: not one of the school's instructors have ever heard of this method. It works beautifully and the damage it causes is practically nonexistent. I guess that the drying effect some users mentioned is more likely due to the shampoo in which the hair sits for an extended period of time. Even without ascorbic acid, a harsh shampoo like Head and Shoulders, or a dish-washing liquid for that matter, will dry out the hair considerably. I used a mild, organic shampoo, but on damaged hair I would even try using a conditioner.

This works! I had blonde highlighted hair. Decided to dye it red with box dye. Then maintained the red with ION color brights semi-permanent. My hair was shockingly red. I liked it enough to keep it that way for a couple weeks then got super super sick of it and wanted to go back to blonde. I crushed up a lot (30-40) vitamin c pills in a ziplock bag. I mixed it with a sulfate free clarifying shampoo and applied to towel dried hair. Really worked it in there and got it lathered up. Put on a shower cap and waited about an hour. After washing and blow drying my hair is still red, but faded about 2 - 3 shades lighter. Very noticeably lighter with blonde highlights showing through the red. I haven't seen a highlight in my hair since I started the journey to being a redhead. It removed both the semi-permanent and permanent. I definitely have to do it a few more times but the difference is huge after just one application. And my hair feels just a little dry. Nothing major and much less, if any, damage than bleaching the color out would cause.
This is one of those pinterest DIY's that actually work. I never write reviews but this I had to share.

on 1/25/2014 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am the person who posted originally on the Web (on the hennaforhair fotum) about this method, in 2010. At that time, I was attempting to find a method for removing a direct (not deposit) dye from my hair. I had been using indigo plant dye for several years, and no one had found a successful method to lighten it.

After weeks of research, which included enlisting a chemist friend (he found nothing), I found an obscure article that hinted obliquely at the possibility of using citric acid to break the bond of direct dye to keratin via reduction. There was/is a caveat, however: it is necessary to rinse for quite a long time to completely remove as much dye as possible, longer than a normal rinse that simply removes product. Otherwise, you will notice a redarkening of the hair as the direct dye molecules re-establish. I posted this in my original thread, but it seems to be forgotten (and then people say that this method doesn’t work, or doesn’t work well).

Trust me, it works. It will not, as noted above, completely remove direct dye. But, as my master colorist stylist noted, once you get the color to budge, the hair will gradually lighten, and that is what happened for me. I used this method 4 times initially, let it lighten further over the next 6 months, then did it again a couple more times. Result: my hair went from opaque black to a deep auburn with beautiful highlights (ie, not opaque). And they said it couldn’t be done.

Since that original 2010 post, it seems that the method has gone viral. I certainly didn’t expect that! But I am pleased to see that my post in an obscure forum was helpful and that so many have found it useful.

Just don’t forget to rinse, rinse, rinse (I set a kitchen timer for 5 minutes). And you can buy Cheap vitamin C powder at Trader Joe’s or Amazon. As far as type of shampoo, I used cheap, plain drugstore shampoo for this task. The simpler the formulation, the better (no conditioners or proteins).

Magdalene