Vitamin C Hair Color Remover

4.6

on 9/2/2015 12:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

So, I had my hair half natural brunette and half blonde. Im talking light, almost white blonde. It's been bleached for a little over a month and still very dry and problematic. Two days ago I made a spur of the moment decision to go dark to help my hair along and also I was bored of plain blonde and black. I went with Vidal Sassoon Midnight Muse, a PERMANENT black blue dye.
I IMMEDIATELY regretted this decision. The blonde half was DARK blue and the other half was black. It's what I expected, the color was fine and the conditioner it came with made my hair hella soft but I immediately missed my blonde.
I crushed up some vitamin C tabs and threw in some head n shoulders and slopped it onto my head. Halfway through rubbing it in the blonde side I realized that I hadn't made enough of the concoction to get all of it in that nice deep lather, so I whipped up some more. When I went to put it in my hair I saw that what was already covered was BLONDE. Pure blonde.
Unfortunately, when I went to rinse it out, my hair was left with some orange tones. I really don't know how those got there but I'm going to repeat this process tomorrow and hope for the best.
Overall worked great!

on 8/30/2015 1:14:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have been coloring my hair an intense red for years. Most recently a week ago. I used Zotos Age Beautiful 5 RR, it's a great color and I love the product but I was bored. I didn't want to endure a bleach bath and having read mixed reviews about Color Oops I decided to try the vitamin c and shampoo. It worked amazing! I crushed 20 vitamin c 500mg tabs and mixed it Suave coconut shampoo. Applied to damp hair and covered for 2 hours with a plastic bag. Once I rinsed it well I couldn't believe the difference. It rinsed me pretty evenly to a strawberryish blonde. Glad this worked!

on 8/20/2015 7:18:00 PM

I am posting my story in hopes of helping someone else in a situation like mine.

Hair history:

Iíve been dying my hair for about 14 years. In the last 2 years, I went from a Loreal Feria red to half black/half red (a Harley Quinn look). Then I went all permanent black, hated it, and bleached 4 times in 4 months with Manic Panicís Lightning Bleach 40 volume. I wanted white, and ended up with Pikachu yellow. Put Splatís Luscious Raspberries stain, followed by Splatís Lusty Lavender for about 6 months. Tired of the neons, I wanted a plum purple, so I put on Feriaís Violet Soft Black. Because of the bleach damage, most of the color fell out on my ends and I ended up with eggplant purple on my roots and a pastel gray color on my ends. I have decided I want a full color chocolate brown. I canít bleach anymore, my hair will snap off, and now I have 3 different tones (from the half and half and then from bleaching).

My hairdresser friends have all said my only option is to cut it all off since my hair will no longer hold color, and purple is one of the "stickiest" colors there is. Where do I go from here??

(Fast fact: I have naturally dirty blonde hair, baby fine, super limp & lifeless, an A-line bob just above my shoulders)

The vitamin c & baby wash mask:

After running around google for awhile, a forum said baby wash would strip color. I didnít want to use Color Oops or anymore chemicals, my hair canít take much more. After digging further, a forum suggested Vitamin C. Itís supposed to be non-damaging but a tad bit drying. I have both on hand so I figured Iíd give it a shot.

I crushed 7 500mg pure vitamin C pills with a pill-crusher and mixed with 10 squirts of baby wash in a disposable cup, and smeared the oatmeal-like paste all over my wet hair. (I used hot water to wet my hair, itís supposed to open the cuticle) Put on a shower cap, blowdried high-heat for about 1 minute, wrapped a towel around my head for drip-prevention, and set a timer for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, I rinsed (it was a crappy rinse, Iíll admit it) and put on Beyond Zoneís Last Call hair mask (for battered & abused hair). Left it on to air dry for about 10 minutes. Jumped in the shower, rinsed everything out, and once out of the shower I used Aussieís 3 Minute Miracle conditioner as a leave-in.

I blow dried on no-heat (hey, itís just air, no heat damage!) just to get it to a ďdampĒ stage.

Looked in the mirror and OH MY GOD. My ends (about halfway down) are an ash blonde, about 2 inches is a dull pink, and about 2 inches of root is a light copper. NO MORE PURPLE! The roots are close to my natural hair color, just with a tint of red. No black, no dark colors, no purple. The best part? My bleach-frayed hair is in BETTER condition than it was before the vitamin c mask. Most likely thatís from the hair mask & Aussie leave-in, but it could also be because a lot of the ďbuildupĒ was removed from my fragile and small strands.

This vitamin c/baby wash combination is a miracle. A straight up miracle.

I'm usually pretty skeptical about things like this, but yesterday I decided to try it. It works, it really does.

So... A little history of my hair over the last year or so. My hair has had almost everything done to it. I started using henna (pure body art quality) about a year ago and I have used maybe 6 full head treatments of henna since then. I have also used permanent hair dyes maybe 4 times give or take in between henna (I love henna but it is very time consuming). Most recently, I highlighted/ombred it which gave the henna a super fiery orangey copper look which I really liked. For some stupid reason I thought it would be cute to throw some pink Manic Panic on top of that... Which looked nice but I grew tired of it, however the pink tint was hanging on. So... A few more permanent dyes on top of that, and the last dye I used was a level 3 natural black dye. I immediately regretted it. It was too dark even for me, and I have naturally very dark hair.

II wanted that black gone and I really was hoping to get back to the gingery ombre henna thing I had. I wasn't wanting to bleach it if it wasn't necessary.

I crushed up about 20 500mg vitamin C tablets and mixed it with a squirt of head and shoulders and a squirt of v05 clarifying kiwi shampoo. Applied it to my head and covered it with a shower cap. Left it on a little under two hours. Washed it out with more clarifying shampoo and conditioned it.

Result? All the black was gone and I was left with a dark auburn brown with some of the red henna glistening through. I could NOT believe this budged black hair dye so well!! Also, my hair felt fine, not dry or damaged at all.

I did a second treatment today because I wanted more lift. I did it a little different this time... I used just the vitamin C and clarifying shampoo and I made sure to really massage and lather it in this time. Last time I just kind of slopped it on. I immediately saw it lighten up some as I was lathering.

It lightened my hair a touch more and I see more reddish henna color now. Looks like it removed most of my last few permanent dye jobs. My hair is a tad dry but not more than usual with clarifying shampoo.

I'm really impressed this worked. It didn't lighten up quite as much as I was hoping (I don't really see my highlights or ombre I was hoping for) but it got me really close without any apparent damage at all. Perhaps with continued washing it will continue to lighten.

I would say I'm maybe a level 4-4.5 reddish dark brown now, which is way better than stark flat black. I definitely recommend trying this first before a harsh color remover or bleach.

on 7/6/2015 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've tried this color remover method 4 times (I even tried doubling the vit. c & leaving it on longer)-- and wasted 6hours of my life, DOES NOT WORK! It just left my hair dry.

on 5/2/2015 8:59:00 PM

Whoever came up with this concoction is a genius.

I have really long hair, almost to my waist. I have dyed it for as long as I can remember up until about 3 years ago. I finally got tired of keeping up with coloring my hair and it was becoming pretty damaged..

My natural hair is medium brown, and it has lots of highlights from the Hawaii sun, looked like I had a beautiful ombre. I for whatever reason decided that I was bored with it and decided to dye it a medium mahogany brown. Of course it turned out to be a dark purple red color, which looked terrible. I didn't want to try and dye it again and definitely did not want to use any chemicals to try and strip the color.

After some research I found the vitamin c technique, read many good reviews and decided it was worth a shot, especially because it is non-damaging. I was a little bit apprehensive because I was worried that it might make my hair orange, but tried it anyway.

I smashed up about 15 chewable vitamin c tabs and mixed the powder with head and shoulders shampoo and a tiny bit of dawn dish soap. I applied a generous amount to towel dried hair and let it sit for a little over an hour. I noticed the water in the shower was very orange (probably from the vitamin c tabs) but I was hopeful that it was some of the color coming out. I put a deep conditioner on my hair for about 5 minutes as it felt pretty dry.

After the shower I noticed that my hair definitely looked lighter, and after it started to dry I noticed it was about 2 shades lighter and was not at all orange or brassy. Pretty much amazed by the result. I am going to do another application tonight to try and lighten it a bit more, and I will update my review after I get the final result.

So far very impressed and happy with the results, the only issue is that it did leave my hair feeling dry but a few deep conditioning treatments will take care of that.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I just tried this over some serious layers with interesting results. It definitely worked, although I'm going to repeat the process again tomorrow to see if I can get it to lift more. It lifted all of the red and lightened the almost-black-plum (I'll explain below). Zero damage.

I can't really describe what my hair has been through, but right now, it's just above shoulder length and is naturally level 8/9 ash blonde with a lot of dimension to it -- it appears to be slightly superhuman in terms of the abuse it can take, and normally I do it myself but occasionally, I have my hairdresser take care of it for me, although I really "know" my hair at this point, but I didn't want to bleach it because 1.) it's damaged at the ends and 2.) had about an inch of natural root growth since I haven't dyed it in two months, and my natural color is impossible to dye and tone (it just looks muddy and grey or garish and yellow), and I am, after not having seen the natural color in almost 25 years, attempting to grow it out. But what I started with today was -- don't try this at home -- permanent blue-black followed by three bleach jobs so that it was platinum, which I dyed with permanent blonde dye to tone a few times, and then, in my hair schizophrenia, decided to dye black, bleach out, tone to ash (unsuccessfully), bleach cap at the hairdressers, dye red with Pravana (which turned fuchsia and then faded to bubble-gum pink by the fourth wash and didn't budge, which was not what I was going for). Then I dyed it permanent light brown to try to achieve a black cherry color, and it was gorgeous for two weeks before fading to blah brown, so I reapplied Pravana three or four times in two months. Finally, I dyed it with a permanent chocolate cherry box color which turned it almost-black but then faded to a sort of very dark plum with dusty rose colored roots. So that's what I started with, plus a month of root growth, which is the really light silvery kind of blonde that I was explaining earlier. My hair grows fast and is baby fine, flyweight, and a bit wavy, but it's also VERY oily. It's not usual hair. My hairdresser friend has found it a little bewildering because it soaks up color, will keep bits of it for ages, but won't keep bright either, but can take bleach like no one's business. It's porous. My natural hair might not be. No idea. I have been dying it for my entire adult life since I was a teenager, and I'm just a little tired of it so am trying to fade it to something that won't look too odd with the roots.

I've had bad luck with Color Oops before. It bleached my roots and turned them canary yellow and turned black to kind of a dark brown with some red. So that was horrible. It's not supposed to change your root color. So I read about the Vitamin C treatment online and thought it wouldn't hurt and...

...I mixed half of a bottle of powdered Vitamin C from the grocery store (about 35,000 mg) with about as much shampoo. It left a gross coating on my hands, and I applied it to my dry hair, which was a mistake. I put it in a plastic bag, blow dried it for about two minutes, and waited an hour and a half. When I checked it, I could see the powder hadn't dissolved, so I added water, lathered briskly for a few minutes, re-bagged it, and then waited forty-five more minutes. It didn't sting. When I washed it out, it didn't look like any color was rinsing out. I washed it with hot water, hoping to open the cuticle, and conditioned. When I dried it the pink from the chocolate cherry and Pravana was 100% gone. Where it was dyed brown and red, the developer left it bleached-looking but the Vitamin C removed the actual dye, so there is a pale yellow band there. The ends that were dyed more heavily lifted about two shades (to around a level 5 from a level 3-ish) to a warm, medium brown! Blonde roots, unchanged and wholly natural.

So, I'm going to absolutely try it again. It doesn't feel dry but soft. I'm very surprised that it budged at all since some of that was year-old permanent level 3 brown dye, and my ends are pretty crisped from too much bleaching. Curious to see if it will work again. This stuff is amazing and can take color from blonde pretty easily as well as shift black to brunette. Black to blonde, probably not, but I'll try to see if I can make the ends lighter so that as I grow it out, it's not too weird of a contrast but just a reverse ombre effect ;)

Edit: the next day, I lifted it about another half level using the same technique but switching shampoo to detergent + head and shoulders and leaving it in for 2 1/2 hours with plastic wrap plus a towel for heat. After that, it lightened, especially at the ends, but it's still a level 5 brown and more uniform. The permanent dye that was on my roots is 100% gone though. I would call this a hair color lightener but not stripper. My hair is VERY dry now, but I suspect that is from the detergent, not the vitamin C itself. It should be okay in a few days with conditioner. I'm not sure where to go from here in terms of the color. Vitamin C verdict? Great to lift 1-2 levels of even permanent dye.

on 4/21/2015 3:23:00 AM

I've dyed my hair light brown about three years ago. Then I dyed it jet black. About four times during the last two years. I haven't dyed my hair for about six months, and want to get rid of some of the black hair dye so I can dye my hair a lighter color. My hair is long, a bit past my elbows. Yesterday, I crushed up about 9-10 vitamin c pills and mixed it w/ some shampoo. Applied it to my hair and waited about two hours. I washed my hair and most of the black faded and left my hair a darkkk brown. At least its not black anymore. Today I did the same thing, except I waited for 30 mins. My hair faded some more. Its now a darkish brown? Defintely not black. The only downside is that it left my hair dryy, but no big deal. Conditioned my hair and it was soft again. :D

on 4/15/2015 2:31:00 AM

My hair length is about two 2 1/2 inches beneath my shoulders. I dyed my hair with Clairol perfect 10 shade n9 which is a level darker than the color I normally use which is shade 10. In the interest of wanting my hair to color evenly I choose to use for the first time neutral protein filler. II applied it to my hair for approximately 20 minutes before I colored. Then I gently blew my hair dry. Then Because my roots usually pick up a lot of red I decided I would put Ardell gold red corrector plus drops into the color developer solution after I had mixed it together. Directions said I should put 15 drops for every ounce of color and I had bought two bottles of color so each bottle was 2 1/2 ounces so I added 37 drops of this purple solution to the dye. The result was absolutely horrifying. my hair came out a muddy pink and the ends were all gray. It was so bad I felt like crying. The only positive thing about the whole thing was that mohair surprisingly felt very soft . The next morning, I put some cocunut oil in my hair because I thought I may re color. however, I kept thinking to myself I don't want to damage my hair . I've done that a few times in the past. Did some googling and stumbled across many positive reviews about vitamin C as an option to remove hair color. Also read about baking soda, dishwashing detergent, ketchup and vinegar. I'd done them all in the past except vit c. Baking soda works but it's very harsh to the hair. The only choices I would not recommend. So that left vit c. I thought it was worth a shot because everyone said it was mild treatment for the hair that caused very little dryness. So I bought the cheap brand care one vit c. Crushed 16 tablets into a powder and added it to vo5 clarifying shampoo called kiwi. Washed my hair with the clarifying shampoo 2x to get the coconut oil out of my hair then put the vit c shampoo mixture on my head for 60 mins. It was not messy and I didn't need a cap. The result is Phenomenal my hair is a really pretty light golden blonde which was what the box showed it should be. And best of all my hair isn't damaged. It's still nice and soft. I won't need another treatment. I'm completely satisfied. This is what anyone who made a mistake coloring their hair should do first to fix the color.i should mention the person who first put the vit c technique on the net said it's very important to rinse you hair very well after you remove the vit c shampoo. Said vit c breaks color bond allowing you to rinse the color from your hair. But if you do not rinse well the bond can re establish and the color you removed can return. After I rinsed it out about 10 minutes I used John Frieda intensive repair conditioner.

on 3/31/2015 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Holy hot damn, you guys. It actually works. I did not expect this.

First up, hair history!

About a week ago I got my color stripped by a salon, being promised a dark ash blonde. It turned a peachy dark blonde with lots of red, and I later discovered massive ugly copper streaks. I went in and had it 'fixed' and they said all they could do was darken it to try to cover the orange.

It went way too dark and still had lots of red undertones. They said they'd only bleach it again if I shelled out another 100+. I wanted to get rid of it all, and go back to my trusted policy of f*cking up my own hair rather than paying someone to do it.

The process!

I dissolved (my pills were way too hard to crush) about 9 500 mg Vit c tablets in enough water to cover the pills. Microwaving for very short spurts of about 10 seconds helped to dissolve them. I then added a few tablespoons of basic cheap shampoo and a tablespoon of olive oil. Then I massaged it into damp hair, covered with a shower cap, blasted it with a hair dryer before covering it with a cap for an hour.

The results!

It removed BOTH color processes and took me back to the lightness of my hair when it was bleached, I'd dare say even slightly lighter. That's saying a lot considering I had a shitload of color buildup. I was worried that the orange would pop back up/it would be uneven, but I used a purple shampoo to tone just in case and it looks somewhat bearable for now. It seems to have 'got the red out' better than bleach! Or maybe that's just the remnants of the ash-based color. Certainly lightened enough for me to baby my hair for a bit and recolor close to my natural color in a month or so, which was my goal.

The condition of my hair is quite okay, too! After a deep conditioner it's like nothing happened. I might try another treatment just to see what happens, hope I don't push my luck! Will update. :)

UPDATE: Repeated the process today. Not as dramatic a difference as the first treatment, but lightened my hair a further half-shade and pulled more red out. My hair was left with a kind of super fluffy cotton candy-like appearance so I'm gonna leave well enough alone. I don't think it can do that much more for me anyway, considering I'm at the level I want to be, just too reddish still.

So in summary, it seems to remove color to some extent, but expect to repeat treatment many times to pull multiple layers of color (and especially red). I think perhaps it only worked so well for me because of the recent bleaching and the porosity that comes with.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products