October 25, 2014 | 1715 users online

Treatments (Face) - Estee Lauder - Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2014 8:47:00 PM More reviews by BeeGee35

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I sadly purchased this twice. Once in my 20's and again as I started my 30's. It literally does nothing for me. Not. A. Single. Thing. I'm not even sure what I expected it do it. I went through two large bottles. It doesn't break me out. It does feel nice. I just had absolutely no change in my skin texture or appearance. I use it on my neck and chest now. I will probably fall prey to stupidity in five more years and try again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2014 8:09:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is one of these products that when I'm finished with I wonder 'Why do I even bother with the cosmetics industry?!'

I have splurged out on a 50 ml bottle of this serum (I used one 50 ml bottle of it years ago when I was in my 20s and it used to be in a glass packaging but I'll come back to the packaging later) at a duty free before my holidays in the South of France in July. I knew I will be in the sun a lot (it is bloody South of France n'est-ce pas?) and despite the religious application of sunscreen, I wanted to minimise any potential damage. Plus one of my favourite French bloggers Helene from Mon Blog de Fille was raving about it so I decided to give it a go there and then.

So here we are, in the mid October and almost at the end of the bottle (I maybe have a week or two of application of it ahead of me so at least it lasted quite a bit despite twice a day use) ready to review it.

Unfortunately it is a total disappointment.

Helene was showing the sun spot on her hand diminishing just after a month of using this serum. Well, I do not have any new sun spots (use sunscreen people, it was invented for a reason) but the ones I have and some remnants of normal spots have not diminished one bit. Like I was applying clear water - no result whatsoever. I have not noticed any difference in the condition of my skin during a week when I was away and did not feel like carrying such a big bottle of the serum. It was/is still supple (I love sodium hyaluronate in my products), I have the same size of pores, same sun spots on my forehead, same couple of red marks after a spot on my chin and exactly the same wrinkle forming between my eyebrows.

Now another of my favourite bloggers, beautiful Bubbly Michelle (and she has the most amazing skin!) is raving about another bifida ferment product (Lancome's Genifique serum) used in conjunction with a LR2412 containing serum (Lancome's Visionnaire) so I have decided to give this one more go, pairing it for the remaining period of time with La Roche Posay's Substiane serum (that I bought during said South of France holidays) that has exactly the same ingredient as Visionnaire. So far after a week I have not seen any major changes but at least Estee Lauder's serum does not have any alcohol in it (both Lancomes reek with alcohol and Substiane does too!). And it need using up. Half a dropper is enough for my face in the morning, the whole dropper is enough for my face, neck and top of my chest (I use it there in the evenings) and maybe a bit for the tops of my hands.

It is such a staple in the beauty industry yet I remain entirely underwhelmed by it. I used to have a bottle of it in my mid 20s and my memory of the product was exactly the same. Then I was hoping that it would manage maintain the youth (hahaha!) of my skin for the future with the antioxidants (I was using it under spf 50+ sunscreen which I still wear every day). The only problem is that this silly dropper packaging truly sucks - the antioxidants are gone after first several openings of the bottle! I have no idea why EL decided to keep this packaging after upgrading the formula (or so called 'upgrading', the product feels and acts exactly the same…).

So let's mention the packaging because it is a big gripe of mine here. Medicinal-like looking and allowing you to just use a carefully measured out dose of several drops of this precious elixir. All good, but not very hygienic and not very good for antioxidants in the product. I sincerely worry that after several months of constant opening and closing of the bottle there aren't any left?! Also the new bottle of an 'improved' version of this is made of cheap plastic and it is not mentioned anywhere on the packaging if the plastic they used contains or does not contain Bisphenol A!

Do not fall for the beauty editors recommendations of this product. It is expensive, useless and if you do use it - very very disappointing.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2014 9:11:00 PM More reviews by coursey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been a user of this serum for almost 10 years when I was in my early 20's. Way back in high school, I used to have severe acne and was prescribed antibiotics, Differin gel, and Retin- A to help control the acne and get rid most of the acne scars. Later in college I needed something to keep my skin moisturized at night. Other products I've tried made my skin too oily until my mom gave me this serum to try. I didn't notice much what it did to my skin at that time but kept on using it because it was the only product that kept my skin moisturized enough without making it feel oily. Then one day during dinner time- my cousin made a comment to me wondering if I was wearing any makeup because she noticed that the remaining acne scars around my jaw line weren't there anymore and that my skin looked more healthier than before.
The only one product I was using at that time was the ANR serum and since than I've been a loyal user for a long time.
I do believe that this serum can help improve your skin texture from acne scars and sun damage and overall help slow down the looks of aging. I don't think this is for those already with fine lines and wrinkles. You'll have to try estee lauder other products that have collagen in it. Overall this is a great serum to help maintain a healthier glowy skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by snowsun

I'm on my third huge tube of ANR synchronized recovery complex (either like that, or plus "II"; I did not realize a significant difference between the 2). I've always used this as a night serum, but it also works nicely as a primer before going out, as it has a "filler-ish" effect and I feel it helps to optically erase fine lines and folds.I used this for the first time during my late-teens, following my mum's recommendations. On that time, I saw improvement of my facial skin, but I also developed tons of tiny hyperpigmented pointed lesions and I was sure it was because of this serum; I was not using daily sunscreen as I currently do... so I felt that ANR was not for me, and I did not use it till my mid-30's. I was starting to look for a good nightly serum, and I purchased this one, following a very convenient gift with many samples (I especially adore companies which offer you a set of luxurious samples in a cute bag, like Estee Lauder or Clinique! By the way, I don't understand why they don't offer these in Europe as often as in North-America..). Going back to this ANR: I've been religiously using it every night for almost 5 years now, and I like it very much. I feel it makes my skin softer and brighter, but it still keeps uneven, so I don't give it 5 lippies. When I apply this under my eyes and even with sunscreen, I still sometimes develop new and small dark spots... so I feel I only need a very tiny amount and I'm always checking my skin. I really really care about not getting UV rays on my face; therefore, I might change of serum (despite my love for it), if I keep noticing these dark spots. Price is high but not uncredibly expensive, especially if you buy the biggest bottle, and that's what I usually do. Pipette is ideal for application. However, the writing of the bottle fades away with time, when there is still product inside. As of today, I would repurchase despite the price tag because I feel it gives effects.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by silviasandy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Fantastic product! My pores get smaller and my face turns brighter. It's really hydrating my skin as well, without making it too oily. I use it near my eyes and can see my fine lines disappear. Hate the expensive price though..

rated 2 of 5 on 9/2/2014 3:52:00 PM More reviews by polisha

Heard a lot about this night serum, and bought it- though on discount, it was still quite expensive. Sadly, after two days of use it gave me a HORRIBLE allergic rash, which was my first time! Never had it before, not even with cheaper brands. Luckily, the EL lady at the store replaced it with the "Idealist" serum (sort of a primer), which I'm really happy about.
My advice is to try a sample before buying...

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2014 10:26:00 AM More reviews by Grace5673

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been eagerly wanting to try this product and when I did it was less than impressed. My setback is wrinkles as they're starting to appear more and more as I get older and whilst using this I didn't see any results I was happy with, not to mention a slight change in my skin looking or feeling firmer or tighter. Since then I've moved over to this new biocorrex product and my wrinkles are changing quite a bit, less visible and feeling softer! I'm starting to look more into products that work from inside, and this is definitely something I would look into!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by Benjaminjohnson

I was always hesitant, and felt very resistant to liking this product, as it is so famous and well known around the world. But after using for a few weeks, then trying many other serums, I was drawn right back to this amazing product. -It's incredibly hydrating -oil free/ultra light texture. -fragrance free/ gentle -absorbs instantly. -antioxidant rich. -locks in moisture -basically no nasty dangerous ingredients. -lost of anti irritants. Will never stop using this !!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/10/2014 9:16:00 AM More reviews by idlejo

So disappointed with this product. Had been wanting to try this for ages but had been out off by the huge price tag. Eventually took the plunge and have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed. I have been using the product for 5 months now (as I foolishly opted to purchase the larger size). No negative side effects or reactions but I honestly cannot see any difference to my skin whatsoever, certainly doesn't feel in any way improved. Feel I get similar if not better results with far less expensive products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2014 10:02:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've 32 years old and people are always mistaking my age for the early to mid 20s. I definitely inherited some great youthful genes from both my parents but I'd like to think that ANR is also partly responsible for that.

I've been using ANR for the past 4 years and have been addicted ever since I noticed some of my scarring disappeared using this. It's gotten to the point where I'm petrified of using another serum besides ANR. Sadly whenever I have strayed I've come back to this because other serums appear gimmicky or I hate how they feel- all silicone-y and full of rubbish like alcohol. I love the texture of the ANR fluid and the results that go wtih it. I was sceptical when I heard that that the ANR version I was using had been replaced by a second version. So far my skin has reacted just as positively to the new version as it did to the old. My skins texture appears wrinkle/line-free, fine and glowy, and my pores which were previously enlarged during my early 20s can barely be seen. My skin is also more moisturised. Estee Lauder is known for its cutting-edge ingredients. Now I'm not a scientist so I can't say that I am happy that they removed the retinol but if this serum still works, they've hopefully replaced it with some quality ingredients which work just as well.

The only things that bother me are the price and packaging. For all its savviness, when is EL goin to learn that all their products need to be in tubes and pump bottles?? I just hope their "improved" formula is not a gimmick to cut production costs and boost profits as the price of ANR has really sky-rocketed in my country since I first purchased it (from the equivalent of around USD65 4 years ago to USD89 as at today). I live on the African continent and would love to know if other women around the world have experienced the same pricing issues with the EL ANR serum year after year. That said its doubtful if I will ever leave this product, in case I get a wrinkle! I would need to find a serum that does for me what ANR has always done.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No