Illamasqua 010 translucent powder

on 3/31/2015 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I use two powders, this one and nars soft velvet in snow. I find them comparable in terms of feel and finish. I use the nars when I'm wearing foundation in my natural (very pale) skin tone or I want a little coverage, and the translucent illamasqua for when I've been fake tanning or using bronzer, or on sunscreen to get rid of the shininess, or as a setting powder over my makeup.

- longlasting, it will take years to finish one tub
- true translucent - can be used to set eye makeup/brows ect
- nice fragrance
- long lasting mattify effect that's very handy if you live somewhere hot

- fragrance might irritate some skin types
- packaging feels a little cheap, like all illamasqua products
- too much and it looks very flat and aging
- the included applicator is trash, you need a nice brush

When I bought this nars wasn't stocked in australia, so although I'm happy with it, I will probably give the translucent nars a shot when I use this up, since they are comparable in price and convenience now. I feel apart from packaging and fragrance, there isn't a big difference between them.

on 6/30/2013 6:10:00 PM

I only recommend this powder for those with absolutely no dry skin, who don't mind having fragrance in their products, who have oily skin all over their face and/ or those who want a theatrically matte look.

Detailed review:

Firstly i will say this powder is definitely translucent, so there is a plus for the criminally pale such as me. My skin is very dry/ very oily combination skin and i found this delayed oily shine for 6 hours (as good as any other mattifying powder) when applied with the good, large velour puff included.

However, this is where the pro's end. This powder has an added vanilla fragrance (as do other Illamasqua products i have tried) and so this could irritate sensitive skin, especially if you plan to use this directly on skin. I am against added irritants such as these, yet if this was an amazing product i would probably permiss it - sadly it is not. It clings to even the tiniest of dry flakes as if its life depended on it and leaves a horribly dull matte effect when applied evenly with a velour puff, even though this is the only way to get average to good oil control out of it. Also, if you were hoping this would blur 'imperfections' this does not do a great job as it is milled to an average degree - nothing special.

You get 15 grams for £23 which is slightly less value for money than you would get on average considering high street, theatrical and high end makeup and i would say this is NOT worth a consideration even if it is cheaper overall than say MUFE or Eshiko, as its quality is poor.

Unless you are going for a flat matte look as a personal taste or for use in a theatrical situation with bright lights to combat the dullness, do not waste your money - i couldn't even bare to finish the pot despite me usually refusing to waste money.

It is worth noting that Illamasqua seem to be a brand that tries to bring the variety of theatrical makeup to the masses, but in doing so decides to bump up its prices to that of a high end brand, with the only difference being the use of attractive, instead of functional, packaging - a contradiction to the incredibly fair prices theatrical brands offer.