Sedona Lace - Synthetic Large Paddle 919

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I purchased the 12 piece Midnight Lace brush set with cupholder from Sedona Lace, and am so happy :-) Although, I have only used the large powder brush (376) so far to apply my MAC Studio Careblend pressed powder and my Wet N Wild "Reserve Your Cabana" bronzer, but I can truly attest to the GREAT quality of these brushes by Sedona Lace. It is incredibly soft and plush...it feels like massaging velvet onto your skin!! Nor does it shed at all! I had no idea what I was missing in makeup brushes until I discovered these. Included in this set is also a Duo Fibre brush (813) that is comparable to MAC's 187; and, honestly, I prefer my Sedona Lace over my MAC for everyday use. I know...I know...I wrote a RAVE review for my MAC 187 but that was before I fell in love with my Sedona Lace 813. MAC's is soft as well but nit as soft as the Duo Fibre by Sedona Lace, and the MAC 187 is a lot more expensive ($50); whereas, I got the 813 plus eleven other brushes AND a cupholder from Sedona Lace for $80. A tremondous buy in my opnion! I definitely recommend this set if you are looking to make a good investment that will likely last a while and do a great job at makeup application.
~A. Starr

on 6/28/2013 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I've seen alot of claims for the Sedona Lace 919 brush. It was advertised as the super-soft, all purpose brush that will "cut your makeup time in half" suitable for creams, liquids and powders.

The 919 is a wide flattish slightly dense soft fluffy powder brush with a short, fat handle like a kabuki. You can turn on the side to apply blushers and contours, and if you just use the very tips its also good for highlighting too. When you've finished you can go over the whole look to blend it all in. The concept is not having to switch around brushes to save a bit of time.

I tried the brush as suggested. It is very wide so it covers the face quickly and it is well shaped with a graduated taper so it quickly distributes the powder evenly and smoothly with less blending than many other of my brushes. It builds up color gradually but quickly and evenly. Its very soft on skin and doesn't shed. But the whole thing was annoying having to think about how to use it in different ways with each product and I wasn't totally happy with the results. It wasn't very precise and over blending the colors, prefer the precision

Probably Sedona Lace should describe this as a bronzer and powder brush for small areas of the body. I found it excellent for applying bronzer down the neck and highlighting the decolletage. Its large head means you won't have to go over areas to blend streaks. It does feel luxuriously soft on skin which is nice on a ladies chest, which can be quite a sensitive area.

EDIT: I do think it was oversold as an all-purpose brush. Does not work for liquids or creams as claimed. I'm not thrilled with the results on the face. I think this kind of brush is perfect for body bronzing and highlighting and have tried a few times but haven't fallen in love with it yet. The problem is the handle is so heavy and thick its uncomfortable and difficult to hold in my hands. I find manouvering that fat heavy handle to get around the angles of my body tricky. I get cramps in my hand and it hurts! I have small hands though. The brush is short and doesn't have the reach for doing down the arms, legs that I would like. I do have room in my life for such a brush and will make another effort to use it. If I don't turn it into a body bronzing staple this summer I will find someone else to pass it on to.

****

SYNTHETIC VS CRUELTY FREE: I am glad Sedona Lace call this brush line simply "Synthetic". This craze for pushing people to buy "Cruelty-free" labelled stuff is just a marketing gimmick by other companies to sell us loads more things we wouldn't otherwise buy. Stuff that ends up in the trash next season and joins the piles of rotting in landfills actually has the result of severely damaging the entire planet, including the air we breathe and the water we drink. The entire life cycle of the product, how much it is used, and how long it lasts has to be taken into account as EVERYTHING has a cost one way or other. This brush in particular is good so far and if I keep using it and it lasts, and if it stops me buying more powder brushes, then yes, I'd say it was excellent quality and recommend it in the end. However, just buying synthetic products that don't work or aren't used much then thrown into the rubbish in a vague hope of "helping animals not suffer" doesn't make much sense to me. That "rubbish" has to go somewhere, and what does it do when it gets there? Well its buried in the earth/environment, the synthetic plastics its made of break down into toxic chemicals, which pollutes the soil and waterways where all the animals live and eat and drink from. If you are really serious about cruelty free I suggest you worry less about brushes and buy fewer, quality things that last, own less, and pass on things to others you now longer need, instead of buying things that end up in the rubbish. If you're really keen, wear grass shoes and clothes dyed with dull natural pigments without any synthetic fibres or faux leather components that use a ton of chemicals to make and can be safely returned to the earth via composting after use.

Popular Makeup Brushes