Living Proof Satin Hair Serum

3.0

Isododecane, neopentyl glycol diheptanoate, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, isoamyl laurate, diheptyl succinate, ethylene/propylene/styrene copolymer, octafluoropentyl methacrylate (OFPMA), PPG-3 benzyl ether ethylhexanoate, PEG/PPG/polybutylene glycol-8/5/3 glycerin, bis-ethyl (isostearylimidazoline) isostearamide, phytosteryl sunflowerseedate, hydrogenated vegetable glycerides, capryloyl glycerin/sebacic acid copolymer, dilinoleic acid/propanediol copolymer, butylene/ethylene/styrene copolymer, fragrance, citronellol, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropional, citral, limonene, coumarin, geraniol.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think the reason for some of the negative reviews of this product is that people are trying to combine this silicone free serum with other silicone products and like oil and water, the two don't mix well. I use the LP PHD shampoo and conditioner and the Prime Style Extender. I apply a little of this serum, just one and half pumps, to the last couple inches of my collarbone length hair and then spray Blowout and proceed to blow dry my hair. With these two products, I get a fantastic, smooth, voluminous blowout, almost as good as my stylist gives me. My hair has body and bounce and the serum eliminates frizz completely and my ends are smooth and supple. I'm somewhat surprised at these results, but I do have a new dryer (Babyliss Nano Titanium) although I'm rather uncoordinated with a round brush, lol! However, these LP products have made all the difference. I'm a huge fan of the LP No Frizz Styling Spray, which I've been using for several years, but I usually let my hair air dry overnight and use a curling iron in the morning. Blow drying is a new thing for me and something I do rarely. But I got a sample of this serum in a Sephora perk and I honestly didn't think that the Blowout spray would control frizz by itself. But together these products worked out really well. I can't think of when I would use the serum other than for a blow dry, but it might work well for a glossy ponytail too. I used the smallest amount of the serum on damp hair, concentrating on the midlengths and ends and then without adding anymore product, took whatever was left on my hands and smoothed the top layer. I then sprayed Blowout liberally and proceeded with the dryer. And the best part is that because of the primer, my style actually stayed in place for several days. My hair wasn't greasy and didn't feel heavy at all. There were a few kinks from sleeping a bit funny, lol! but that was easily taken care of by hitting them with the dryer again. All in all, I'm pleased with this serum and think I'll eventually purchase the full size. Using such a small amount, the full size bottle will literally last forever. I definitely recommend this product.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I used this as I normally do with serums and oils and other hair smoothers - as a frizz smoother towards the end of my blowdry. It worked about average, but I can find something cheaper that does the same thing for my hair for sure. Be sure not to use more than one or two drops for your entire head or your hair WILL get super greasy.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

There's nothing special about this product. It did what any other serum would do. It didn't work any magic on my hair. The only plus side is that it smells really good, but that's about it. I would not repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

The ONLY thing I like about this serum is the consistency reminds me of a dry oil. Dry oils are awesome because they are SUPER light yet moisturize deeply.

But that's about it when it comes to the list of pros. I definitely would not recommend this serum. Living Proof Satin Hair Serum is over priced and over hyped. It is not unique to the rest of hair serums available. You could spend half the amount this costs at Sally Beauty Supply and walk out with a better product.

Needless to say, the ingredient list is really lacking. Isododecane is the first listed, thus this will dry your hair out over time. Since this is masked by a hydrating appearance, you most likely wouldn't realize until the damage has been done to your hair. There is absolutely nothing that stands out in the ingredient list that would convince me this is a quality product for hair. And it shows.

Obviously I won't be repurchasing.

This product didn't do anything for me. I cannot I like it or don't like it. I just didn't see a difference with it on my hair. I love the Living Proof brand, but cannot determine why I need this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've been using a sample-sized pump bottle for a few weeks. I have fine, curly hair that I straighten every day because otherwise, it gets frizzy around my face. I've tried a handful of drug store frizz/smoothing/straightening serums/creams (e.g. John Frieda, Fekkai, etc.) but this one works so much better. It makes my hair shiny and smooth after blow drying. I typically use this on the weekend when I don't take the time to straighten my hair and despite the outrageous price, I am thinking of getting the full-size. A little goes a LONG way--for my shoulder-length hair, a dime-sized amount does the trick and anything more than that makes it look greasy--so I know it will last me forever if I decide to splurge. It has a terrible citronella smell like mosquito repellant but I don't notice the scent after my hair dries.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I received a 5ml sample of this from Sephora and would not purchase the full size. Overall, I'm unimpressed by the Living Proof line and believe it's made for a certain hair type only. If you have fair, caucasian hair (like the creator, Jennifer Aniston) then you may like this product and others in the line. But if your hair deviates from that type at all then probably look elsewhere.
This serum really did nothing except irritate me with it's strong overpowering scent that would never dissipate. I had to use a ton of the product to get any minimal result, and that's what I find with most of the styling products in the line. I combined this with a huge blob of prime style extender and then would have to add more of the serum every day as I styled etc. Which is typical for dry, coarse hair, you can add oil or a serum daily and never get greasy ;) But the smell bothered me the most, in addition to the sub-par performance.
The shining star in this line is the Amp, I love that stuff :)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got a generous sample with my Sephora order and I like that it isn't greasy feeling at all and really helps take care of the unruly frizz I have. The recent weather of rain and wind had taken a toll on my normally behaving hair and I like to just put my hair in a low pony tail or bun to protect it from the elements. This fits the bill for being one of those products you can just leave in and go. Some areas I missed so I have to be careful with application as results were uneven ( some fuzzy areas, some frizz free). It has a nice and light scent and it provides great shine. I tried it on damp hair but will have to test it out on dry hair to see if it performs better. So far I like it. I need about three drops for my whole head. I'm thinking I should try the other products in the line as others suggested. This is my first time trying anything from Living Proof.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am a Living Proof fan and this product is no exception. I love the PHD 5 in 1 styling cream for when I straighten my thick, wavy hair. But I don't like it when I wear my hair natural. It left my waves really flat. I wanted something to combat frizz and humidity when I wore my hair wavy, and this works beautifully! It doesn't get rid of my frizz 100% but it definitely improves it. I just put a few pumps in and style as normal with my curly hair products, and I get a much better result. I also feel the more I use it, the better it works. Definitely buying this again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I had reviewed this awhile ago & I was not a fan. I recently decided to try this again. I'm not sure what changed, but I love it now. It fights frizz and makes my hair look beautiful! When used with the perfect day line my hair looks model worthy!! Amazing products so glad I changed my mind. I wish it was slightly cheaper & not in a glass bottle, but you only need a little bit so the bottle lasts awhile.

Top Rated Living Proof Products