April 18, 2014 | 1033 users online

Powder - Tarte - Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Powder Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2014 3:09:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'd never tried a powder foundation before, so I had no idea what to expect. I got the lightest shade which I believe is "Fair Honey", which looked quite yellow. However, when I apply it to my face with a Real Techniques brush I can't see any yellow at all. This provides medium coverage, I would say. It looks pretty natural and not powdery. I think this has started a love affair between me and powder foundations because it's so easy to apply and quick! I love the packaging and how there's a netting to make it so that you don't get too much product flying around when you open it. I saw that another reviewer mentioned it being glittery, however I don't see any glitter at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Gardenia24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really really like this. Beautifully smooth application with either the kabuki that Tarte has paired with this powder or the RealTechniques Expert Face Brush. I have used Bare Minerals & philosophy's powders in the past and like this the best. Does settle into my forehead a little, but that is more my fault because I apply too much product there sometimes. I don't feel that this is sparkly at all...just has a nice sheen that gives you a glow. Little goes a long way! Agree with other reviewers that the packaging needs work...that mesh thing will be snipped away once the powder level drops too low. Otherwise, great staying power, especially when layered over their BB cream. No skin issues related to this that I can identify. Lovely!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 2:22:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My new daily go-to! Mainly because it can be applied super fast with a kabuki brush, way faster than liquid foundations. It is slightly sparkly but nothing will appear on the face as the sparkles are very tiny. As a comparison, it has about the same amount of sparkles but they are less obvious than NARS light reflecting loose powder. Despite the sparkles, I would not classify this foundation as glowy. On me, it looks like a satin finish.

To be honest, if you're looking for the nicest and most natural finish, a powder foundation is seldom as good as or better than a liquid one which is the case here. However, I'm always in a rush in the morning and this is a good time saver for me...so even though I "like" but not "love" the satin finish, i am still going to use this foundation.

I'm NC15 and using the lightest shade, fair honey. It's described as "fair skin with peach undertones". I'm neutral and I find the shade a tad too yellow and light for me. But after a while, it looks better..perhaps it just needs time to settle into the skin. This foundation lasts all day and I do not find that the oil control is better than others that I have tried. However, I do not have oily skin and I use setting sprays to help my make up stay.

Coverage-wise, I find it sheer-medium. I have not tried putting multiple layers of it on my face because I do not require much coverage so I am not sure if it can be built up to full coverage. This goes REALLY well with Tarte's BB primer. They are seriously a match made in heaven. So if more coverage is needed, I would rather put the BB primer on first as a base then powder this on.

Lastly, the matching kabuki brush is definitely unnecessary. No point getting the small kabuki brush if you have a flat top kabuki at home. Sigma F80 fits perfectly on the mesh where the powder is tapped out. Your kabuki brush has to fit or be bigger than the size of the mesh so that no spillage occurs when tapping the powder out. I have used a ruler to measure the diameter (lol) and the diameter of the mesh is approx 1.5 inches. Hope that helps!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2013 3:37:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't believe some people say that this is not glittery. I tried it on my hand at Sephora and it was a glitter bomb. Yes, even in the uncertain lighting of the store. If that's the look you go for, by all means, enjoy. To each his own. And I'm not saying it's a horrid product.

But anyone who says this is not glittery must be wearing this in the dark.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Supatoon

Wow. I was on the fence about purchasing this. I am constantly on the search for the perfect foundation, and I usually tend to go for the liquid foundation over powder. However, I am into my early 30's now, and have noticed my skin has begun to change. I now have dryer skin, and some fine lines showing. Seems my old go-to foundations just aren't cutting it anymore. They either look caked on, or they just don't seem to hold on for the day.

I really didn't expect much from this one, but figured I should try it out as I don't have many powder foundations. I LOVE IT! I would say it is definitely a sheer to medium coverage, but you can build it up where you need it. I have been using it for close to a week now, and for me, it holds up quite nicely for the day. I wake up at 5:30, head to work, and am not home until close to 6pm. I never touch up through the day, and this seemed to do pretty dang well. I did notice some small creasing in a couple spots, but overall it was nothing to rant about. Shockingly it doesn't seem to settle under my eyes as much as my other foundations. Super win there!

Plus, the color options are awesome. I somehow managed to find my perfect shade by guessing WOOT!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by jennarae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this foundation along with the buki brush during Tarte's friends and family sale and I am so happy I did! I had used bareminerals for years but this is 100% better.

Pros
-Even, easy application-- no blotches or missed patches
-Doesn't make my skin seem dry like BM does
-Not as messy as BM can be... product is less dusty
-Hasn't broken me out
-Creates a "glow" that doesn't look shiny or glittery... it's just right.
-Lasts throughout the day-- I've used it with my Smashbox and Lancome primers and have had no problem with it disappearing or moving around

Cons
-Moderately $$$ for a foundation
-The mesh thing in the container is weird... it's hard to see how much product is left in the container

Bottomline-- Love this product! I went to Ulta before purchasing it on Tarte's site to find my color match. Completely trumps all other foundation's I have tried. Love. Love. Love!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Carolinaglam

I'm normally not a powder foundation person but after using liquids for so long and not being happy I decided to give it a try. I could not be happier! You can build the coverage to be light or heavier. It looks flawless and make my pores look less visible. It's more of a natural looking finish. It's not heavy on the skin and it def does not look cakey. I did not purchase the kabuki brush because they were out of it and used a regular brush and was happy. Def worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by smileandactnice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this as part of a kit on QVC...Comes with a buki brush and bronzer.
I like that it applies quick and simple, and gives me more coverage than most MMU's out there. The finish is natural and polished and not cakey or heavy. For a 'full coverage' MMU it works pretty darn well!
The container is cute but weird. That mesh thing is just disturbing--looks like I got this at one of those zoo gift shops!lol It just seems odd--but it's all 'green' so I figure it's just kitsch...lol
LOVE the buki brush though! So amazingly dreamy--Airbrushes my skin in no time!
I have the 'fair' MMU...It looks great on my pale skin!! Not too chalky or white, but also not too dark or 'off color'...Just looks great!
The price isn't too bad considering all you get--and this stuff should last a l-o-n-g time considering how little you need to get a good makeup job.
The only points I take off are because the brush is a little difficult to work with if your skin is still a bit tacky from primer or moisturizer. My custom-blend MMU goes on whether your skin is dry, wet or whathaveyou...This is a little harder to apply unless you're completely prepped for application.
Also, being this was a kit, I have to take off for the bronzer being orangey. It does blend down nicely, but I get a better, truer 'tan' from Milani's mosaic all-over thingy. So the bronzer might be getting re-gifted.lol
This is a super nice thing for a quickie-makeup job like before work if you're pressed for time, or on vaca. Overall though, it doesn't compare to my BB cream/BB powder makeup.
I was thinking of sending this back, but on days I'm running late, this stuff is **way*** faster to apply than trying to spackle on bb cream and blend and set...just fluff on the buki brush and go--Now that's fast!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Caseyyy24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pros:
-It gives my skin nice glow.
-Lasts for a long time
-My skin looks pretty much flawless
-Covers up freckles and everything
-It doesn't have chemicals so I don't have carcinogens seeping into my pores.

Cons:
-The mesh thing inside is kinda annoying even though it works
-Sets into pores and even tiny wrinkles that I really shouldnt have because I'm only 24 but whatever.
-Can look a little bit cakey and not as natural as I would think.

Will probably continue to buy though

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by obtuse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I saw this on QVC and was so excited to try this! The packaging was beautiful not the product! I am the fairest color (fair) and the color is a little too darker than I prefer. The formula absolutely sucks! It is cakey and just feels heavy on my face. Later in the day, it looked blotchy and some came off and was just horrible.....so back to my usual s either Bare Minerals or Laura Mercier Power Mineral Foundation.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No