Fyrinnae Finishing Powder: Hollywood Sorcery

Mica, Silica, Iron Oxide, Magnesium Stearate (very small pertcentage).

on 12/20/2014 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I find Hollywood Sorcery too pigmented as a finishing powder. I should note that my makeup collection is almost entirely loose powder so it's not for lack of experience. I could certainly fuss around so I could get the miniscule amount on my brush, but I'd rather not. To give you an idea of how pigmented this is, I have a friend who received this as a free sample in her order and initially thought it was an eyeshadow. I find it's diffused about the same amount as their highlighters, and has the same sheen albeit somewhat softer.

On my medium olive skin it's a lovely soft golden color that leans peachy, and on skin tones darker than ~NC25 it would function well as a highlighter. On skin tones lighter than NC20, it may also function as a bronzer. I do, however, think the small window of skin tones in which it would be ideal as a finishing powder is finicky. Of course, I have heard of people who are lighter/darker than those skin tones using it for its intended purpose, but I imagine they are using a very small amount.

On my dehydrated-normal skin, I didn't find that the slight oil control properties of this finishing powder to be overwhelming so I think it would appeal to a variety of skin types (so long as you don't depend on it for oil control).

Overall, I think Hollywood Sorcery is a decent product that I could see working well as a finishing powder for someone lighter than me but unfortunately I find it too pigmented to easily work with.

on 8/28/2013 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

'Tis a similar colour to their "It Beautifies!" eyeshadow, a peachy-tan, but obviously diluted as it's a finishing powder. My main issue with this is that it is a below average finishing powder. Goes on blotchy over liquid foundation. Initially it'll look fine but after 15 min? Not so, Antonio. Seems to emphasize any pore issue. I can see fangirls hissing at me right now: SHADDUP AND USE A PORE REFINING PRIMER! Over a powder, it goes on better, and looks better. Also, it makes a wonderful, soft cheek highlight that manages to tan you at the same time! Will I repurchase? I think for the price, it's a killer bronzer/powder-topper-upper. The packaging is an issue (had to shift it to one of my son's plastic food containers), plus doesn't function well as a proper finishing powder--so I took off two stars.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

This is a great bronzer, light and the slihtest hint of shimmer. I am an Olive skinned and it looks great. I dislike the small packaging, I must transfer it to apply it, but I love the options to buy samples to try!

on 6/21/2013 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

For Reference. I am Oily, Combo, sensitive, Acne prone, and clog prone. And my Skin Coloring Ranges from NC5 to NC12 depending on my exposure to sunlight. (if we play "let's pretend these MAC shades exist"). Right now (as I write this review on the first day of summer) I am leaning a little towards NC10.

From the Fyrinnae Webside :
" A completely transparent soft bronze glow, not sparkle, that doubles as a light-diffusing powder. This powder contains no titanium dioxide or other whiteners, so can work on any skintone. May add a slight hue to pale skin. Use as an accent or all over face. Name is not actual claim to sorcery, magic, work wonders, and so forth. It's a powder, not a Genie. 50s Retro Collection.

Ingredients: Mica, Silica, Iron Oxide, Magnesium Stearate (very small pertcentage).
Available in a sifter jar (approximately 7 grams weight, smaller than our other finishing powders, same size jar as our large Fluff and 7 gm Powder Primer) and sample jar."

Never been able to use a bronzer in my life. But I picked up a sample size of this just because I get intrigued from time to time about such things. I use Pure silica powder as a finishing powder all the time. We are best buds me and silica. Since this is a "transparent bronze" meant to be used as a finishing powder, I still felt it may be too ever so slightly tinted to put all over for me. So I haven't yet, though I should. But what I have done, is apply it like I would a bronzer on the places where sun would naturally hit my face, and I get the Slightest hint of color. I am not applying it "sparingly" but more like I would a blush, with a dense soft brush. I think it's freakin' beautiful, and I am going to get a full size the moment I run out. A+

I no longer use this product, as I have found products containing silica to be too drying for my skin type :C