August 21, 2014 | 1306 users online

Brows - Laura Mercier - Eye Brow Pencil (new formula w/ spoolie)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/17/2013 6:43:00 AM More reviews by boredtotears1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not a massive fan of the waxy texture as it makes it difficult to get a good line & it needs constant sharpening so it wont last long! You cant see where you are applying it very well as its not very firm so quite often get too much on your face & then need to use the brush to get some of it off.. so it doesnt leave a very natural looking line..
I do like the brush on the end though although I agree with other reviewers - its like they stuck the brush on the end to sort out the texture of the product.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/16/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by makeupgirl1027

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree with every single review on the new formulation of the Laura Mercier eye brown pencil. I've used this for years and am so upset. I have very thin eye brows and the old pencil made them just perfect. Now I have to search for a new pencil which is not an easy task! Ladies, make sure you go on their website and let them know!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Lorraine6

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I couldn't understand the high rating for LM pencils and later realized that those pertain to the old formula, not the new formula with the spoolie (which I had purchased). I have sparse, light eyebrows and I like to feather them lightly to create a very natural look. Just can't get that with this pencil - too waxy, colour goes on unevenly, and fades quickly. Nothing like looking in a mirror a few hours later and finding that parts of your eyebrows are gone. Overall very poor quality.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2013 9:30:00 PM More reviews by MegP

I completely agree with what the other reviews have posted. I have been using LM brow pencils for years, loved them, no problems...until they switched the formula. It now goes on like a weird grease pen, doesn't really stay on the skin but clumps onto the brow hairs. The amount of sharpening required is ridiculous. I'm looking for a new brow product...such a bummer when you have been loyal to a brand for so long then they go switch it up for the worst. :-/

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2013 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Mickeline

Thank you ladies for confirming what I thought -- the formula did change. It is simply awful. I have to sharpen this every other day almost and the other reviewer is correct -- I find little bits of the pencil flaking off every time I use it. For me, it is way too soft. I am really upset because the old formula was so much better. I find that even with the color that I use -- blonde -- it comes out too dark. I had to search for another blonde eyebrow pencil and finally settled for Chanel Blond Clair. It isn't exactly the blonde color that I would have preferred but beggars can't be choosy. The other blondes were either too gray or way too pale. Why did they change this formula?????

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by mwarner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I nearly cried when I finally was able to purchase the reformulated pencil - it's AWFUL, and they really did ruin what was a great pencil. It is wax-like, does not apply easily, skips spots, and leaves nasty little chunks of pencil that must be removed. Why did they ruin a great product???? Here's a tip if you are stuck with one - it will go on a little easier if you apply suncreen, or other moisturizer before you attempt applying the brwo pencil. But still very lame, compared to the old formulation.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by KileyMc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Totally agree with the other reviewer. I mostly need a pencil to fill in my rapidly departing tails. Just a PSA ladies-- vanishing brows are the new reading glasses. Hello almost 40 and goodbye brows! However, what remains is long, curly and unruly. Lovely, right. The problem with waxy pencils like this is they refuse to color on skin, or my skin at least. It does do a fair job of taming--sort of-- but what I need it for is adding depth and this will not do that for you. I'm not sure who this really is for but definitely not me! The hunt continues.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 6:23:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the newly revamped Eye Brow Pencil (with attached spoolie), not the discontinued pencil with the triangular shape. Laura, why did you mess with perfection? Here's what's changed:
The new pencil has a waxier, stickier texture that applies in choppy strokes. My brows are thin and I need a firm, dry pencil to bulk up the shape. Laura's old pencils were hard, yet the pigment glided on in soft, buildable layers that looked natural. Little gaps were easy to fill in.
The new waxy texture makes expanding my brow's edges very difficult as I get tiny clumps stuck in my brows while the color seems to skip a beat in places. I'm glad there's a spoolie to blend the pencil through and work the clumps out, but then I found my brows look overdone. I honestly think they tested the new formula and in a panic, tacked on the spoolie to make these pencils work. In fact, this new formula reminds me of Revlon's old Colorstay automatic pencils. Same sort of waxy/skippy texture that I'd expect in a dollar bin. Laura Mercier, go back to the old formula. This new texture is a joke.
continued >>