Cover Girl Lipslicks-Hipster

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/4/2015 12:32:00 PM

This is one of the best sheer lipsticks I've ever used in my life! As a professional, I loved telling people about this incredible drugstore secret. My favorite colors: clear, bronze goddess, hipster, daring.

Sadly CG discontinued this incredible product. If you loved it as much as I do, you can VOTE TO BRING IT BACK on their site!

By refreshing your browser it will reset the voting mechanism so you can vote for each color that you love!

on 11/22/2013 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Beautiful shade--sheer, brownish-rose with barely any frostiness. I bought this for nostalgia's sake: these were pretty much the only make-up my mom ever wore when I was little. But the smell/taste! Very artificial and lipsticky to me, and doesn't fade. I have many other tinted balms and glosses, so I won't repurchase.

on 8/15/2013 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

On me, this is an exact dupe of Fresh Sugar Plum, which used to be my HG everyday lip balm/tint...except it's $22 USD and has a gross fake lemon scent. The Lipslicks actually feel better on my dehydrated lips, too! Will buy again and again.

on 7/30/2013 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Another favorite I used back in the 90's in highschool!!

On me this was a really pretty berry with a hint of copper tint on my lips,this was HG for me back in the day!

on 10/16/2012 2:21:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

COLOR:
Descriptions such as “burgundy, bronze, plum” are incorrect. Yes, in the tube it looks like a cranberry, or a warm rosy red with a copper sheen. That is because it is darker in the tube than on your lips. Much darker. This is a very natural looking, “my lips but better”, tint. This is certainly not too bold for PPP who might be scared away from the color in the tube, especially those who are cool toned. In fact, I would suggest that a cool toned PPP would do very well with this product. The color is so gentle that it suits both warm and cool tones. Many have commented that this is great for people on whom red tends to pull magenta, and let’s face it, that’s a very comment cool PPP problem.
Hipster is different from another shade in this line, Daring, which is a sheer version of a concord grape or blueberry tone. Hipster is more “sheer muted strawberry.” It has been considered one of the drugstore dupes for Clinique’s Black Honey, but it is not (neither is Daring). Some prefer the Dr. Pepper from Bonnie Bell (for a cheaper, smaller product) or Clinique’s Almost Lipstick line. Hipster’s formula in particular reminded me of a thicker (and wider) version of L’Oreal’s Colour Riche Le Balm. About the same amount of pigment, too. Except this is slightly more moisturizing because it hugs the lips a bit better.

PACKAGING / BRUSH:
The clear lid is always a plus with drugstore products, since there are no testers. However, having the shade visible is not that important here because the color is so faint. The slanted tip and wide applicator are nice for just swiping across your lips, and you do not need a mirror to apply this guy. People with thinner lips may be annoyed though. The packaging in general is ugly and non-descript. But at least the packaging doesn’t cheat you out of product. You get a decent amount of product for your money.

APPLICATION:
The application is nice and smooth. Initially, there is a perfume-y scent, typical of drugstore products, but it fades after 10 seconds. The pearly shimmer in the tube does not transfer onto the lips. The texture of this is very pleasant: glossy, moisturizing, but not overly shiny, sticky, or waxy. As another reviewer commented, there is a “low goop factor.”

LONGEVITY:
I felt I needed to reapply every hour to keep up the faint color. But for moisture, every 3 hours is fine.
There are complaints that it is not long lasting… but what lip balm or gloss is? The big hype about this product seemed to be the formula. The moisturizing balm with color tint without all the hang ups normally associated with lip balms or glosses. I did not think it was not particularly moisturizing, but not particularly drying either. My lips didn’t feel suffocated after hours of reapplication and wear. Nor did they feel as if they’d been to the lip spa.

OVERALL:
As much as I loved these products when first getting into make up, I’m not sure what place Hipster has in my stash. It can be worn under a lip stick as a primer, but I didn’t find it that moisturizing. I could wear it as a glossy balm over a lip liner, but I have so many “top glosses” already. I like the color, but it’s not terribly unique. It’s not a waste of money, but it doesn’t stand out in pigmentation or moisture enough for me to want to repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I got this as part of a package my sister sent me, and she never fails to pick out the best products for me, so expect this review to be a rave. First up, when I saw this tucked in her package, I was quite curious how it'll fit my light-medium toned skin since it looked quite intense right off the packaging, but after seeing that this was a tinted lip balm, I knew, it would lightly give my lips a natural tint without looking like a strong dark berry color.
The product itself applies so smoothly on your lips. I found that this does give you what it claims to, a moisturizer with a hint of color, unlike some tinted lip balms that would give you more or less of the other. I love the natural color this gave me, so I don't have to worry about having to apply this sparingly because the color might be too overwhelming. This one looks natural no matter how heavily you apply it or reapply it throughout the day. It also moisturizes really well. I find that I can skip my lipbalm, lipstick, lipgloss routine with this one product, and it's very long lasting too! Definitely owe my sister for introducing me to this baby! :)

on 11/9/2011 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I recently rediscovered these after reading a review for Cover Girl Lipslicks in ‘Edgy’. I couldn’t find that shade at first, so I picked up ‘Hipster’ instead because it seemed like the next darkest shade (and I like deep-yet-sheer lipcolors). I used to use these Lipslicks about 10 years ago, and had probably 6 shades or so & carried them all around with me in my purse. They kind of fell by the wayside as I ventured into more high-end products, but I still think this is a good, affordable, lightly tinted, lightweight, glossy balm. I wish Cover Girl would update the scent, as these have a dated, perfume-y scent. Its not the best, but its not bad enough to deter me from using these. These come in a plastic tube with a clear lid so the shade color is visible. There’s nothing special about the packaging, but for $2-$5 depending on where you get it, I wouldn’t really expect much. The slanted tip applicator and sheer formula make these easy to apply on the go (a definite plus for me). ‘Hipster’ is a slightly warm, reddish-bronze shade. It has a little pearly shimmer in the tube, but it just looks lightly glossy on my lips. I just apply 2-3 swipes, press my lips together, & I’m good to go. The lasting power is decent, about 2 hours, though it’ll wear off faster if I’m eating, drinking, or if I’m outdoors. It doesn’t have any heavy duty moisturizing effect, though it doesn’t dry out my lips as it wears off. I was excited to finally find ‘Edgy’ and I do prefer that shade to ‘Hipster’ since I like cooler berry & plum shades, but ‘Hipster’ goes on my lips (& in my coat pocket) a few times a week when I’m doing a slightly warmer lip-look.

on 9/3/2011 10:33:00 AM

I sure do love Cover Girl lipslicks! I recently began trying some lip stains and tinted lip balms (mostly with disappointment)...only to be reminded one day searching the beauty isles of this familiar favorite from my college days. This stuff is awesome! I love the subtlety of these glosses, and the fact that you don't have to keep re-applying or worry about putting it on perfectly like a lipstick. The only thing I wish was different was the smell. The smell of these glosses remind me of Halloween costume make-up. Yuk. My favorite shades are Daring and Hipster.

on 3/11/2011 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I stock up on this color whenever I see it - I think I have about 4 in reserve at the moment. It's a great color, even on me who normally cannot wear any type or form of red (they turn magenta on me). I also love that I don't need a mirror to apply this lip gloss. I do wish it lasted longer, but such is the nature of lip gloss. It's never gunky, doesn't taste or smell funny, travels well and the color stays true so long as the gloss stays on. Pretty close to a universally flattering reddish color!

on 10/15/2010 5:36:00 PM

Like so many of you, I love, love, love this product! I've owned about 5 so far. It's just the best for a subtle hint of shine and color. Plus, the color is neutral so it goes with anything. A super great, inexpensive product from Cover Girl.

Recommended for Medium Skin