September 18, 2014 | 1989 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - Super Lustrous Shine - Berry Couture

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2014 5:42:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Berry Couture is my second Super Lustrous Shine lipstick, following Rich Girl Red (listed here without the 'Shine' label ( http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=165476/Super-Lustrous---Rich-Girl-Red/Revlon/Lipstick )
so I will pull in bits of my Rich Girl Red review to comment on the formula, which I find similar between the two colors.

Berry Couture is a lighter pink/berry tone with a mostly clear (rather than white) base, so it will show up differently against different skin tones and on differently pigmented lips. My lips aren't very pigmented and have a cool, mauve tone to them, so the cool purple-y aspect of Berry Couture is increased on me, and it reads as flattering pinky-lilac shade. On my lips it's most attractive worn as it was designed to be - a *sheer* color. The formula is build-able, but Berry Couture is fairly hideous on me if I slap on several coats. Ironically, the built-up version looks great in the yellow light of my bathroom, but I had a moment of horror upon seeing myself in natural light via my car's visor-mirror: cue frantic wiping-off of lipstick! And so this is why I say it has a *mostly* clear base - if you build the formula up, it takes on more white-base opacity. On me, this wasn't attractive, but obviously YMMV!

On the other hand, the exact qualities that make Berry Couture a bit of a horror when built up on my lips actually make it quite a lovely pink berry blush on my cheeks, so it's been a happy inhabitant of my everyday jumbo tote, graced to rub shoulders with the likes of my mobile phone and the novel of the moment - everyone likes a two-in-one!

I'm a fan of the classic Super Lustrous (cream) formula for longevity, a nice level of slipery-ness vs stay-put-ish-ness, and being startlingly kind to my chronically dry, unhappy lips, especially for a fully-pigmented drugstore lipstick. (i.e. if I start out with my lips in a good state, I can wear a SL for the day without it looking and feeling like a dry, chapped, peeling mess. They'll still be a bit worse for the wear in the evening, with increased visibility of lip lines, but not destroyed.) With regular (light!) re-application, Berry Couture is about the same to my lips as the SL cream formula. SL Shine has a nice balm-y slip (more-so than the classic formula) at the time of application, without feeling like it's going to slip 'n slide all over my face. At first application, Berry Couture feels moisturizing, but on me that feeling fades within about 15min to a half-hour. After that, it simply feels not-too-drying. Over time, my lips will feel more dehydrated, and I'll see more lip lines, and this will cue me to touch up, or dive for a balm depending on levels of dehydration. Mirroring this progression, at first application the formula looks more moist/balm-y on my lips, but settles down to a natural lip texture - not glossy but certainly not matte.

I'd say lasting power is about average for the opacity - longer if I'm just sitting there, shorter if I'm talking, eating, drinking, or keep rubbing my lips together. Berry Couture is sheer enough for mirror-free touch-ups, which for me is always a bonus in an everyday shade. If you re-apply throughout the day, the pigmentation will increase somewhat as you go - but not to the heights of WTF weird purple corpse mouth I saw when I applied it to full intensity.

In keeping with my opinion of Rich Girl Red, I find Berry Couture nice for the price, but I still prefer my first SL Shine accquisition just because of the color. Personally I *don't* like the Revlon Lip Butter formula - I don't find it moisturizing AND it gives me lip-line break-outs (*shudder*). So I'm not interested in making direct comparisions between these formulas, especially since I know the Butters are so popular. Like Rich Girl Red, Berry Couture is shimmer free, in case you're wondering.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2014 12:46:00 PM More reviews by sfsuperstar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

i bought this as a dupe for a purple look i've been craving. i don't love it because the formula is to wet/shiny for me. i like a more matte look.(i guess i should have payed attention to the "super lustrous" and "shine" on the label") also it's not as pigmented as i was hoping. but i guess it's good for a budget. next time i will buy my MAC. it's def worth the extra bucks to me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

I ignored this line until someone mentioned this shade to me. It is not a dull color for fair skin at all, and comes off as a sheer purple with a pink tone. Gorgeous on certain people. I think it's pretty with light skin and dark hair. It contrasts lovely with green or hazel eyes and a berry blush. If you use a lip liner and fill in, you can get hours of more wear time.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/14/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by LauraKravec

This was a miss for me. I love Revlon's regular Super Lustrous lipsticks and I wanted to love this, but I couldn't. The color was just a muted plum, pretty dull and uninteresting. Didn't perk up my face. The application was patchy, and there was no visible shine. The texture was sort of meh, almost gummy, not smooth like the normal SL lipsticks. Also, the color bled and transferred outside of my lipline almost immediately. I've returned it already. I have yet to find a shade in the Super Lustrous Shine line that I didn't hate and return. The Lip Butters are basically the same idea but are much, much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Theaflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just purchased, LOVE this berry tone with my light/medium skin and green eyes! The formula is fantastic as with most Revlon lipsticks. I love it on its own or layered with another lipstick! Great Fall color for me :-) and the price is right!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 5:23:00 AM More reviews by Aethernaut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This looked a gorgeous colour for me when it was still in the tube - a cool pink, not dissimilar to my actual lip colour, but with added drama and pop. Sadly it is a chilly, slightly ashy lilac/purple once on the lips, and somewhat cadaverous on me. I have cool skin, and I think with my complexion I actually need a neutral colour or even something with a hint of warmth to warm me up. Ah well, you live and learn.

It's almost a vintage shade, from back when your choices of lip colour would have been coral, crimson... or something like this. It's the colour that a coy girl too shy or young to wear red would have been rocking in the fifties. And it is beautiful - but not on me.

As with other Revlon super lustrous lipsticks I've tried, texture is creamy and gorgeous, staying power reasonable but improved by lip liner. Colour payoff not too bad but it took two swipes of the stick to see exactly what I was getting. If you can pull off a colour like this I am envious, so go buy it and wear it for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2013 7:33:00 AM More reviews by 1017

I agree with the reviewer below me that this is really a nothing special color...there are many purple skewing berry toned lipsticks out there. However, it does look lovely on my NW20 skin, almost black hair and brown eyes (naturally rosey lips). I thought the low cost, the practical color, the nice look all brought this up to at least 4. But then I realized for those that aren't like me and have a ton of these colors, this is a great place to start. The Shine formula gives it a lighter, not so heavy feeling, that allows this normally Fall color (IMO), lend itself to other seasons and looks. So that is what made me go ahead and give this a 5. FYI - I have Fuchsia Shock - and that is just ridiculous stunning, even for summer on me. I also have Pink Cognito, a nice neutral pink beige, but it can be gritty. I have not had the gritty issue with the other two shades.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by rainshine

This is one of the new SL summer shades 2013. It's an easy to wear slightly purple-toned mid-toned pink-berry, but not too intensely blue or cool--like Berry Haute, which is too strong on my slightly warm complexion. Nice shade, just not sure if it's anything special--something lighter or brighter might be better as a summer shade .