Mineral Fusion Brush-on Sun Defense

3.5

Not tested on animals
Mineral Fusion is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 7/4/2015 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

PROS:
- doesn't irritate skin and EVERYTHING irritates my skin and makes my acne worse
- very, very easy to use
- mattifies skin for us oilies
- SPF 30 is pretty impressive given (the cons below)

CONS:
- I have dark skin, it does not match very well - you can definitely see it is on
- I don't know how much to apply and if I am distributing it enough
- is this really a scam with powder you can get 30 SPF? I used the peter thomas roth version for years before I stopped using it since I never was in the sun then
- I don't really care about this, but to be consistent with the other reviewers the bristles come off with each application

Price is in the midrange for ULTA products but notably as a sunscreen it is waaay more expensive than your drugstore Coppertone

on 6/8/2015 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I got this on a BOGO sale in Ulta. I would not have bought it otherwise. It is too expensive. I love that this powder sunscreen doesn't burn or irritate my skin like other sunscreens I tried. I usually don't wear sunscreen because even baby sunscreen will irritate my face. I haven't gotten sunburn with this on yet but I haven't been in the sun that much. I think it might be better if this comes in a loose powder container. It will make the application easier. It is hard to tell how much you put on. The brush shreds every time. The packaging is travel friendly though.

update 7/24/2015:
I have been getting more breakouts since I started using this. I have almost used up the entire stick. My cheeks and chin are covered with whiteheads. I have a new big red bump on my face every day.

The stick doesn't last that long. Maybe because I over-apply every day. My face looks cakey with this on (I only have moisturizer and bb cream underneath). I run the brush across my face multiple times because I can't tell how much powder I put on.
It is not the easiest sunscreen to use. I accidentally inhale this powder every time I apply. I think there is a chance more of this stuff ends up in my lungs than on my face.

The only good thing about it is that it works as advertised. I went hiking with this on multiple times and no sunburn. It makes my face look orange but no sunburn. It also doesn't smell. I hate the sunblock smell and this powder has no smell.

on 3/28/2015 12:15:00 PM

I bought this when Whole Foods had a 20% off sale on Mineral Fusion. As I've been happy with their other products so far, I can't say the same about this one. I found the powder hard to dispense into the brush (maybe I got a defective one), but I know I will not have the patience to fight with this every time I want to apply it. Although I really like the idea of being able to apply a powder sunscreen instead of a cream/lotion, this did not work for me and I will be returning it.

on 6/8/2014 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I like this much better than the PTR version at Sephora. This is a great way to not have an excuse not to reapply your sunscreen throughout the day. Typically, I think women are sketchy about doing this because it may mean having to take off makeup and go through the whole routine again.

This is so easy to carry. Pop off the cap, shake the product into the brush and dust your face. Reduces any shine and you get your much needed reapplication of sun protection.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I LOVE this product for an spf. I wear it to the beach, to the pool, etc., and do not burn. It is transparent, does not break me out, and actually I think it helps even out my complexion which is of course an added benefit.

The PRODUCT itself is fantastic. The main problem I have with this product is the packaging. The brush it comes with sheds, and it is rough on the skin. If you have a softer brush, I would definitely recommend using that one instead of the one that is included. I also find that the product is a little hard to dispense and use. Once the product comes out though, the difficulty lessens.

I also like this product because it is transparent. I cannot tell I am wearing the powder unless it is caked in one area, in which case a little blending makes it disappear instantly.

The other problem with this product, unfortunately, IS the fact that it is a powder and therefore is easily inhaled. While zinc oxide is typically safe on skin, I would imagine that if you inhaled it overtime it could be dangerous. In light of that, when I am applying this product I make sure I am in a well-ventilated area and not taking large breaths when applying the product. I also know that there is a lot of debate on this, particularly from the FDA and the environmental working group. They also do not recommend spray sunscreens for the same reason. They also site that it is not as effective as a liquid sunblock...which unfortunately, typically, give me acne. Now, I also don't apply this everyday and use it on an -as needed- basis. I would imagine with time science will determine the risk. Until then, I will give it a 4/5. Effective, but definitely be cautious during the application process.

on 7/12/2013 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Doesn't turn orangey on me like the more expensive ones I've tried (PTR, Bare Escentuals). I use it on my t-zone only due to my rosacean cheeks don't do well with mica (which most all powder s/s contain). It's mattifying & adds extra spf protection.

on 7/11/2013 7:32:00 PM

Even though the applicator brush isn't the best quality, this is a really good product. It makes it super easy to reapply sunscreen throughout the day. Does not break my skin and out and does not show up on the skin. Like that it has a high spf of 30. Much more affordable than the other powder sunscreens with brush applicators. Contains mica.

on 6/14/2013 8:44:00 PM

I love Mineral Fusion Brush-on Sun Defense, it is a cheap alternative for Colorscience Sunforgettable Mineral Powder. It works great, I was out with the sun from 10-2, I applied it every 1.5 hours, I didn't get burn, not even red. It keeps my face matte and oil free, it even set my makeup.

Pro:
- it really works!!
- transparent
- keep my face matte and oil free, it even set my makeup
- it comes with build-in brush and the package is very compact, easy to carry around.
- cheap (compare to Colorscience)

Con:
- the build-in brush not soft enough.

I will definitely buy it again.

For pics, pls visit here: