September 1, 2014 | 1981 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Becca - Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2014 9:12:00 AM More reviews by bernb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is long overdue. Becca Ever-Matte primer has been a game changer for me, and quickly become a HG item after first purchasing over a year ago, shortly after its release.

My motivation for writing this review, is that this primer is notoriously difficult to use. There is a 'technique' to using this that I have been preaching on the MUB since I first purchased it.

First of all, you can't 'smother' this primer on your face like a regular primer - it is very grippy - it will not glide/slide on like a silicone based primer. It can easily disrupt any existing layers on the skin, in particular sunscreen. It can also make foundation very hard to apply.

The key is to use the smallest amount of primer possible, and only apply it onto oily parts of the face - this is a spot primer, not an 'all over' primer. Work in sections (think original formula Revlon Colorstay, that needed to be applied section by section).

Begin by picking up a tiny amount on your fingertip - I find this is easier to do by putting some on the back of your hand and working from there (as though the back of your hand is your palette). Pick up a teeny amount on your fingertip - so teeny you can barely see it. Melt the primer between your fingertips - I start with my ring fingers (think of using eye cream). I work my way through my different fingertips for different sections of my face (my sunscreen grabs my fingertips and messes with the primer a bit). Clean fingers for different sections helps, as the primer can accumulate a little on your fingertips as you work around your face. Fingers are necessary here - a brush or sponge/BB will not work. The primer must be softened for it to be completely pliable, and meld with the skin.

Once primer is melted on your fingertip, very VERY gently tap it into the area you wish to apply it. You shouldn't see any product on the skin when you do this - all that should happen is that the skin will turn matte as you tap. If you can see product on the skin, you're using too much.

If you are wearing sunscreen, avoid rubbing the primer in to the skin - if you rub it in to sunscreen, the primer will mix into it and it won't blend - you'll end up with dry, white streaks that you can't blend off/out. However, please note, I have only used this with thicker, physical only sunscreens (high % ZnO). I have not used this with chemical based sunscreens which are typically more cosmetically elegant so I cannot comment on how this primer works in this instance.

On clean skin without sunscreen, this primer will apply, blend and meld much easier - I can be a lot less pedantic with application when I am not wearing sunscreen.

As for makeup application - I typically use this under MMU. I find I need to do a good thorough dusting with primer powder after applying Ever-Matte primer, applied with a velour puff and pressed into the primer. This seals it off. I then apply my mineral foundation and can use a sponge and brush for that as I normally would. Without the primer powder in between, mineral foundation is harder to apply, as the Ever-Matte primer can grip in spots and result in unblended areas.

I do occasionally use this under liquid foundation. As long as I use the teeniest amount of Ever-Matte primer, I can still easily apply liquid foundation over the top.

Ever-Matte primer controls oil where applied on my face for at least 10 hours, keeping my foundation in check and preventing separation and caking. I need to blot very lightly after about four hours, but have no separation or loss of makeup where blotted. Without this primer, I have oil breakthrough in about an hour or two, and foundation disruption in about 6 hours. Ever-Matte primer holds up very well in hot and humid conditions. The product itself is quite tenacious and requires thorough removal.

The price is very reasonable at $36 USD for 40ml / 1.35oz. I have had my tube for over a year, and the tube is still more than half full. I use a tiny amount throughout my entire T zone, about half a grain of rice in size.

The packaging is functional - the product is easy to squeeze out and gauge, it stays clean, and it isn't bulky.

I highly recommend this to anyone who has problems with oiliness disrupting their makeup, and cannot tolerate silicone based mattifying primers. I advise anyone with dry skin to avoid this primer.

Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylene Glycol, Enantia Chlorantha Bark Extract, Oleanolic Acid.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2014 6:42:00 AM More reviews by sindoodoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I got a small sample of this at Sephora, when I told an SA that I have oily cheeks and my foundation doesn't last through the day. This primer does a great job of mattifying shiny areas throughout the day, but as other reviews have said, it's difficult to use. It has a very thick and sticky consistency, so you actually really do need to pat it in. If you try to rub it in, it will pill up and get all over the place instead.

Since I have oily cheeks and forehead, but dry skin on my nose and chin, I only used this on the oily areas of my face; it would be too drying on the other areas. That said, I feel like it helped my foundation last, giving it a natural look, and helping minimize pores and other blemishes. I will experiment with other primers for oiliness/pores (specifically Benefit's Porefessional) before putting down the $30 for this primer though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2014 1:46:00 AM More reviews by BoandChica2

I prepared to be disappointed in this product as I am with most primers. On first use, I lightly rubbed it on after moisturizer. That didn't work well for some reason. So recently I decided to try it on my eyelids, as they are very oily and NO eyeliner stays put. I patted some on my lids b4 liner and also on top after I applied my liner. My liner stayed ALL day...no smearing, no fading...perfect. I was amazed! Then I thought, well maybe I should "pat" this on my face instead of lightly rubbing on. So I pat on my face b4 foundation AND a little bit after as well. It worked so much better. Really like this stuff. It didn't keep my face 100% oil free, but when I did get somewhat oily during the day, it looked more dewy than oily. That may also be the new foundation I'm using, Tarte Color Clay Stick primer/foundation. It says it's a primer but it's more like a tinted. Really like that too! Back to the Becca primer...like I already said, my eyeliner stayed perfect. My oily eyelid sisters out there will especially love this for that alone.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Tirzz81

I received this as a gift and I am so glad that I did! I personally don't use this as an all over primer, I only use on my t - zone area. I use about a pea sized amount warmed up with my fingers and pat it(do not rub that will cause it to crumble) then I apply my normal primer. Keeps oil at bay for the most part!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2014 10:47:00 PM More reviews by roxyower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So disappointed :( I tried doing all the steps and did them correctly but It just doesn't work well. It emphasizes pores, makes it hard for makeup to go on and ends up making it look Cakey. Didn't find it made my makeup stay on much longer than when I just use rimmel stay matte. So sad cuz I'm running out of options and am so tired of my makeup looking bad!! If you do use it, use it with very liquidy and runny makeup. Or else it will look Cakey!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by deedrajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

THE WORST ! Made my makeup cake up and pretty much melted off my face. The formula is so dry and that makes it hard to blend. So because its hard to blend it will make your makeup stick to some spots and not others. all in all this is horrible and thankfully i got a sample of it.. if i spent the money on it and found out it was this bad, i would have been angry.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by EleBees

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I do not use this to prime my face, but more to mattify my oily areas. It's expensive, but a tiny bit goes a LONG way (I use about half of a pea size and it's more than enough for my t-zone). My tube has lasted for months and still has about half left. The only thing I'd warn people about when it comes to this product, is that you do have to blend it out quite well when applying it, because if you don't it will leave white streaks and edges on your skin. It also enhances the dry/flaky areas a lot, so be sure to exfoliate and moisturize well if you plan to use this product, and stear clear of areas where you know your skin is dry. Other than that, it does what it's supposed to do. I live in the tropics, where it is always hot and humid; I work indoors but I still have to walk to/from my car etc. and I've noticed my makeup holds up way more since I started using this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 2:48:00 AM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

This should not be marketed as a primer, I don't think it makes a very good one but it is a wonderful mattifier for very oily skin. I bought this because they discontinued both smashbox antishine and Urban Decay deslick in a tube, this product has the same main ingredient. I love the packaging for this but it's very expensive I think I paid about $47.
On to use, I apply this after my facial moisturizer but before my regular primer (smashbox). I rub a small amount of this (less than a pea sized amount) between 2 fingers and press it into my t zone where I get the oiliest. Instantly the area is dry and matte, then I continue applying the rest of my makeup. It makes me much less oily/shiny during the day than when I don't use it, I blot less often. If I start to get really oily I can reapply the same way I initially did but overtop of my makeup, I will sometimes do this if I am stopping at home and rushing back out but am looking a bit shiny. Would repurchase, a must have for very oily skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/16/2014 6:54:00 PM More reviews by mjenap

I hate this primer. It is the worst I've ever used. It highlights all my flaws and makes my foundation look like it is sitting in my pores. This is going back.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 11:22:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

I got a generous sample of this with 100 points at Sephora. I think someone recommended it in a youtube video about products for managing oily skin, which I have in my t-zone, especially my nose. This just doesn't work for me. Within a few minutes of applying my makeup, I have oil breaking through, and within the hour, I need to use blotting paper. It doesn't make my foundation go on weird (no balling or color change) which is why I gave it 2 stars versus 1 star.