LA Looks Sport Gel

Water, PVP, Sorbitol, Carbomer, Keratin Amino Acids, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Oleth 20, Rahnella/Soy Protein Ferment, Aminomethyl Propanol, PEG 8, Tetrasodium EDTA, Benzophenone 4, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Ext Violet 2 (CI 60730), Blue 1 (CI 42090)

on 1/16/2014 7:20:00 AM

I'm liking this more on revisit, perhaps because my hair has been dry and flyaway lately. Nothing amazing but does help reduce frizz and add volume / grip. I used this on 75% dry hair, along with joico (3:1 ratio), no other product and dried with a diffuser. i still needed and iron for the damaged straight bits on top but def. an improvement.

Prev review:
pros
- definately enhances curl (see: glycerin)
- not sticky
- adds volume

cons
- i don't like the curl pattern it brings out (zigzag poodle curls-- think 80s hair metal)
- hair feels coated/stringy
- does not control frizz well
- despite the name, only so-so hold
- longering scent reminds me of men's cologne or after shave

tried: on wet hair and damp hair (2 qaurter size dollops, plunked/scrunched)

on 12/26/2013 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My hair is fine yet I've got a lot of it, very dry and curly. It was curly as a young child and I'm assuming due to hormones (I'm mid 40's), that's why its very curly again. My favorite in this brand is the light blue one made for curls, its very good but so hard to find. My DF uses this so I've tried it a few times. It also enhances curl and is not sticky nor crunchy/hard, when dried. Its a good gel in that respect but I will go back to the curl formulation when I locate some(or use the "wet look) version as it leaves my hair shinier. Good product but since I like others in the line better, I won't re-purchase this one.

on 9/15/2013 11:17:00 AM

I prefer this one much more than the Dep Sports Gel. The Dep left my fine wavy/curly hair feeling drier and I did not have as much lift at the crown. I am not a full on gel convert (always use a curl enhancer like AG Recoil, but I also use a mousse or gel for extra hold and frizz control). But if I use gel, this is a great, cheap, easy way to go. Probably one of my favorite drug store gels.

This is an excellent styling product for my medium density, dryish, wavy/curly hair. Many gels I have tried, including high end varieties, have left my hair limp, sticky, or too dry. This gel has so much going for it. It is inexpensive, readily available, has no 'cones or alcohol, and has a nice amount of hold with a softer feel than most strong hold gels. I have hair that is colored, and needs help to enhance the texture, that varies all over my head. My waves turned to curls and my curls were perfected leaving me with a more uniform curl pattern. The reviewer below recommended this to me and I agree with everything she said. Thank you!

on 6/11/2013 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I picked up a dirt-cheap travel sized tube of this gel to give it a try. So far, I am quite impressed. It defines my waves and leaves them softer and silkier than the Herbal Essences that I typically use. It is alcohol-free and as far as I know, Curly Girl Method approved. The hold is not as strong as what the label implies (it says mega x-treme hold), but I like the softer results as a nice alternative to the stronger hold the HE gives. And this is so inexpensive. If you are on a strict budget and have wavy/curly hair that needs some definition and control, I say don't hesitate to pick some up.

Also- this is one of the few gels I have used that can be used directly on dry hair to refresh waves (don't need to add water or dampen hair first either). Plus the smell is very, very faint and is of more of a unisex quality. This could definitely be shared by men and women. Wish the hold was a teensy bit stronger- but overall a good product.

This gel is easy to reactivate on second day hair, too. Soak your hands with water and rescrunch your hair and the style you had the day before seems to magically reappear! A little less frizz control and styling hold than my HE, but this seems to have much more flexibilty.