November 26, 2014 | 1362 users online

Top/Base Coats - Deborah Lippmann - Gel Lab

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Mpersh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is touted as the healthy alternative to gel manicures. I have stopped getting gels because they thin out your natural nail and make them weak and prone to breakage. This looks nice when you put in on, but I think gel-like is a stretch. It's shiny but no more so than any other top coat. But here's what really bothers me about this product, it says it will extend the wear of your manicure like a gel. Not even close! This product, which I used following the directions exactly, was no better than any ordinary base, like Sticky and Seche Vite top coat with nail polish. I had chipping within 2 days. Definitely not worth the $45 price. Skip this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 6:30:00 PM More reviews by galai_curryqueen9830

This is a holy grail nail polish top coat for me. It extends my nail polish significantly, while maintaining it super shiny. Take into consideration that this is only from the use of the TOP coat. I purchased the duo but only used the top coat because I was in a hurry. I'm sure that if I used both the base & top coat that it would extend my polish even longer and keep it even shinier.
It goes on like every other clear nail polish. Takes an average length of time to dry. The formula isn't super thin/liquid nor thick/goopy.
I tested the top coat on my left thumb. I used a regular top coat on my right thumb. After 6 days, my right thumb (without gel top coat) shows significant chipping, whereas my left thumb (WITH gel top coat) has very minimal chips. I can only imagine how much longer the combination of base / top coat would prolong my nailpolish.
I would love to repurchase this again, but I will not as it is quite expensive. It retails for $40-42, which is too expensive for even the best top or base coat for me. Yes, it does prolong and keep my polish from chipping, but at the end of the day, it's just nail polish for me.
Would definitely recommend it if you have the budget to spend $40 on two nailpolishes.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/20/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by shelly59

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I paid 45.00 for this, which breaks down to 22.50 each for a top coat and base coat. Sadly, the price was the only thing that was epic about this combo. I followed directions exactly as written and also consulted the website for more information and followed the tutorial.
I had minor chipping the next day and major chipping by day 2. Absolutely unacceptable at this price point. I've tried the set with Essie, Lippmann, Zoya, and Chanel polishes and had the same results. Save your money...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2013 2:11:00 AM More reviews by Brenda7777777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not impressed with this product. I love Deborah Lippmann polishes but I don't find her Gel Lab being a success. It is expensive and my nail polish did not last any longer with this product despite following the application instructions to the T. As a matter of fact the topcoat would began to peel off after 3 days. I gave this product 2 stars because the feel of your freshly polished nails with base, polish and top coat feel glossy and smooth. Ladies you are better off wearing Deborah Lippmann (or your favorite polish) on its own because you will not get a lasting "gel like" manicure with this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So I tried DL gel lab and was underwhelmed. I find it did not extend the usual wear of my nail polish compared to my usual base coat (Orly bonder) and top coat (Seche Vite). However both the gel base and gel top coat apply easily. Dry relatively quickly. Nice high gloss finish, but again I feel I get the same results if my usual products which are half the cost. I just think it's way over priced.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by mecepeda

At $45 US for a top and base coat, this is certainly not a cheap set. But my love for all products Deborah Lippmann, the promise of "healthy" gel nails, and a store discount enticed me to make the investment. I have since tried this set on three separate occasions, very carefully following the instructions and using Lippmann polishes only. The result? I find this top and base coat inferior to my normal (and much less pricey) Orly top/base coat set, and I actually discovered large chips in my manicure less than 24 hours after application each time. The other major issue is that the combined products in no way approximated the look of gel nails. If only I could return this for a refund...on the bright side, I can recommend the other products made by Deborah Lippmann, which are of uniformly excellent quality. However, I would save my time and money and pass on this particular set. It simply does not deliver.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by wtfiholly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love Deborah Lippmann polishes. I have fallen in love with this base and top coat set. The box says it is "The healthy alternative to gel manicures". I don't know about that, but I am sure of how well it has worked for me.
I have had 3 gel manicures and all 3 times my nails have peeled and were soft, easily broke, and I had a horrible reaction from my cuticles so I must allergic. I stopped using gel nails ASAP.
Out of the blue I heard about Deborah Lippmann coming out with this "gel lab" set, an alternative to using a uv light and all the tough stuff in the gel nail polish. I was excited.
I finally got one. I was lucky since the store had only gotten 3 sets in. I snatched one up right away! I went home and did my nails the first night with no extras like glitter on the tips or sparkle jewel on a finger, just straight polish and it was a very pretty purple. It lasted 5 days. On the 5th day I had tip wear, then a chip and it wasn't even DL polish I was impressed!
It is easy to use, there must be patience using this. The base coat needs to set for at least a minute, I wait for 2. I always use 2 coats of polish, then I use 2 coats of top coat. It's not that the top coat is not shiney enough without the 2nd coat, it's that I like 2 coats of top coat no matter who makes it. I also do not use a "thin" coat as instructed, I use a bit more.
This set has done good things and made my nails look as if they are wearing a gel set. I've had people ask me if my nails are gel and where I got that color from. Nothing pleased me more than to tell them that my nails are done at home, no gel involved. The best part is I can remove my polish when I want to without sitting for 20-30 minutes with wet pads attached to my finger nails waiting for the gel to slide off. I can change my color with my whim or mood or every week as I choose. I appreciate that since I like my me time and I can do my nails anyway I want them and they won't peel, split, or chip. I am happy.
Try it. It's not for the speedy nail person, it's for the person who likes to take time on their nails, even at a nail salon. If you like to do your own nails have fun and give it a try!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No