April 17, 2014 | 1510 users online

Lip Treatments - Hourglass - N 28 Lip Treatment Oil

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by olivenviolet

I have been around the earth and back (or so it seems) with lip treatments. organic shops, dermatologist, the usual stores. While this seemed promising at Sephora, I'm afraid it's just depositing a lot of good oils onto my lips; and not helping my particular issue. Nor does it make bring a sense of relief (scent or sensation) or color, silk feeling. This may be good if you don't have any issues, but mature lips, beware. This is a money pit.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by tara5415

I quite like the applicator, but the product did nothing for me. Missouri is having a very cold, windy winter and the only product saving me from serious chapped lips is Neosporin Overnight Treatment. A $6.00 jar of white petroleum is saving the day. Thankfully, Sephora has a liberal return policy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading all the raves at various beauty blogs, I decided to splurge on this lip treatment. Meh. It's not terrible in that it does moisturize well enough, but certainly no better than Smith's Rosebud Salve, which I've been using quite happily for years and is considerably cheaper. Plus, the gold applicator is a total gimmick. But the main issue for me was the scent - it's a very strong herbal fragrance that I really didn't like, and normally fragrance in beauty products doesn't bother me a bit. I like to slather on a hefty coat of lip balm before bed, and sometimes I had to wipe it off because I was having trouble falling asleep on account of the smell. If you want to try out an expensive lip treatment this works fine, but it's not exceptional and you may want to give it a sniff to make sure the scent agrees with you before you buy.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2013 11:43:00 PM More reviews by rockstar00

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this lip oil treatment on and off for about 6 months. I like it. I like the smell, feel and overall design of this product. I would repurchase this because I like having this oil in my arsenal of lip treatments.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 12:37:00 AM More reviews by Loubigrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this lip oil! Spendy but worth it especially with dry climate helps plump up and keeps lips looking smooth.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 9:37:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE. TRUE LOVE.

First of all - this is NOT the sort of product I would suggest that everyone goes out and buys. It's pretty ridiculously expensive for a lip treatment. It is not going to replace all your other lip balms and be the one true holy grail for saving your lips. It's not even the perfect pre-cosmetics lip perfecter. So, why do I love No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil so much? Well, part of that lies in what (for me at least) this product is *actually* for.

This is a *skincare* product. I use it twice a day, morning and evening as part of my skincare routine. It stays at home, it doesn't come with me all day long in my bag, that's what all my other lip balms are for. This is mainly because this lip oil is *not* great for 'locking' moisture into the lips and lasting a long time. Please bear with me and let me explain:

Lip balms tend to serve (in my view at least) two main purposes:
-----> The first purpose is to soften and hydrate your lips, and to improve their over-all condition. This is usually accomplished with skincare-type ingredients (like skin-loving oils which can actually penetrate the upper layers of the skin, or chemicals that bind in moisture example: hyaluronic acid, or which have anti-aging or 'plumping' properties etc.) This is where any lasting/semi-lasting benefit or actual 'improvement' in the state of your lips comes from.
-----> The second purpose of most lip balms is to protect and preserve lips in this moisturized and soft state for as long as possible. This is usually accomplished with barrier-type ingredients (like waxes or oils which don't really penetrate the skin but rather sit on top forming a protective layer like mineral oil or petrolatum). This is what gives a lip balm lasting 'slip' and extends how long you can wait before your lips start to feel dry and you reach for a top-up.

Put very simply, No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil is 100% purpose #1 and 0% purpose #2. Which actually makes it quite a rare find! This doesn't replace anything in my routine, instead, it supplements my pre-existing routine (more or less normal use of a few different lip balms and lip colors).

Benefits I've seen:
-- my lips don't dry out as easily/quickly through the day since they're in better over-all condition due to using this regularly
-- less peeling/cracking of lips, even in transitional weather (with usual usage of other balms)
-- zero breaking out around edges of lips/mouth (which is something I can be *very* prone to with some lip products. This product I actually now apply over the edges of my lips and into the corners of my mouth for extra benefit since I completely trust it not to cause breakouts)
-- 'anti-aging' benefits around lips - slight reduction in fine lines near lips, more even pigmentation
-- my lips appear ever so slightly fuller, and don't do the thing where sometimes they look extra thin and sad or 'shriveled up' (like raisins) unless I really abuse them
-- improvement in lip condition means I get to wear lip color more! (and more confidently!)
-- packaging feels luxe, love the gold-tip applicator, and it's easy to control how much you dispense
-- cosmetically elegant - it smells and feels good to use

Downsides:
-- price ... obviously.
-- not good to use right before a strong lip – since it's oil-based it really invites bleeding of lip products even if you're not usually prone to that, so either skip it before a serious lip, or make sure it's had its time to finish sinking in.
-- if you use it alone as a night treatment, you won't wake up with lips still feeling balm-y (though I still find it adequate to the purpose)
-- if you can't stand any lip product feeling even a little bit 'sticky' then you may have texture issues with this stuff
-- can't see how much is left in the tube

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Uniqt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is truly a lip treatment. This is not to use everyday because it wont seem like the effects are much. But, when your lips are extremely chapped it feels amazing. I use mine sparingly because of the price and I dont feel like I need to use it constantly. This lip treament is definitely a spurgle. But, I am obsessed with Lip balm, so it's worth while to me. Unfortunetely, it contains a few irritating oils, so I don't use it often. I have a love/ hate relationship with this product. It moisturizes my lips super fast, yet the ingrediants can be potentially irritating. I might repurchase, but I'm going to explore other lip-balm beforehand.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by khadijanile

Excellent lip oil treatment, the consistency is thicker than one may imagine, i would say it comes out of the top similar to a mac lipglass formula but when applied is not sticky at all and gives a lovely shine to the lip.

I suffer from dry lips and this has been amazing keeping my lips moisturised through the day. the downsize is the price, its expensive!! but good things come at a price.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by EmbalmerBabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Purchased this last wk, all most hit the 50.00 mark on the price tag out the door. I will be returning it, as I feel this is not a "must have". For the price and claims on the performance & ingredients I expected much more. I live in an extremely hot climate in the Southern California desert area, this summer my lips have been dry,parched and borderline cracking. I was looking for something that would knock that out and provide insane moisture. I feel the need to re apply all most immediately after an application, as I feel for me this just sits on top of my lips and slicks right off. I have been using it daily for a week straight with no results thus far.
The packaging is gorgeous, ultra luxe.Many will want to own it just for the package alone, it is very sleek and ultra LUXE as I mentioned prior. You don't receive an ample amount of product for the price, and I feel this will run out fast. I love Hourglass products, this one just was not my cup of of tea. Back to Jack Black lip balm in the plain old boring blue plastic tube...I feel it works better for a fraction of the cost.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by AS437

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased the N° 28 Lip Treatment Oil and have been using it for about three weeks after seeing it on the Sephora website. I'm obsessed with lip products, so naturally I wanted to try this out ;) My lips often get dry and chapped so I figured that this would help out with those issues. I was also interested in the long-term benefits claimed by this product (volume, shape and moisture).

According to the product description, this lip oil is made with hydrating ingredients (Saliporine 8, K3 Viamerine and Volulip) and essential oils. Because of the addition of the essential oils, it has a very unique smell/taste. I wouldn't describe it as medicinal, however, it is very herby (if that makes any sense). It isn't unpleasant at all, just not a typical taste for a lip product. It's smell/taste reminds me of something that would be sold at an organic or natural store.

The oil is disbursed through a pump applicator which allows you to release exactly how much product you want to use. The consistency of the oil is fairly thick (similar to a liquid lip gloss) and typically lasts for a few hours on me before I need to reapply it (not quite as long as other lip products last, but lip products don't typically last long on me anyway). The tip of the applicator is plated with 24 carat gold and feels cool on the lips when the product is applied. I really liked the applicator and cooling effect of the applicator tip. Also, the packaging is beautiful.

I found that the lip oil worked well and did what it claimed to do (as far as moisturizing is concerned -still too early to tell if I'm getting any of the long-term volume/shape benefits). However, I found that it really wasn't any better than other lip products on the market claiming similar benefits. Additionally, this is quite pricy compared to other lip treatment products. Although I love the applicator and find the lip oil to be moisturizing, I probably won't purchase this again. This is mainly because the lip oil is just OK, not spectacular, and I also found it expensive.

Glad I tried it, but will try something new once it runs out. I like it, but I don't love it.