August 27, 2014 | 1637 users online

Lip Treatments - Hourglass - N 28 Lip Treatment Oil

rated 3 of 5 on 8/24/2014 5:39:00 AM More reviews by catelfinel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The gold applicator stays cold and so when you use this it feels very refreshing. That said this is not a winner for me. I find myself rarely reaching for it because it just doesn't do very much for me. The price is prohibitive and the amount of product you get is tiny at 7.5ml. However, it feels luxurious and maybe it will work for you. It's probably best to test if possible to see if you like the texture. It's a little shiny for me and the scent too strong.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2014 5:20:00 AM More reviews by MollieRT

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I absolutely adore the performance of this Hourglass Lip Oil, but I abhor the steep price tag. It seems to penetrate deeply into my lips, so I follow up with my Fresh Sugar Advanced Lip Balm to lock in those precious oils & the softness. The smell is a bit herbal, but it's not at all offensive. The consistency on my lips is not like your classic waxy Chapstick, it's sort of like a softened petroleum jelly. I don't mind because I enjoy being able to feel my lip products & know they're working. I use it morning & night (always followed by Fresh Sugar Advanced). The average longevity is about 4 hours before I can no longer physically feel or see it on my lips. Even though the oil & balm have been absorbed, my lips are plump and very moisturized. My only con's are the price and the fact you cannot monitor the oil level.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2014 3:42:00 PM More reviews by heartsinwonderland

I loved the look and feel the packaging, but that was about it. I didn't really care for the lip product/oil itself. It felt nice gliding on, but it did not smell very pleasant. It also left my lips feeling goopy and not silky. I think I'll be sticking with rose salve.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 5:38:00 AM More reviews by Rose8989

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had my eyes on this for a long time, I have tried lots of less expensive balms over the years. For my birthday in October, I asked, and received this. My lips easily crack, and bleed in the winter months. This is the first winter I have not had this happen. I could finally wear whatever lipstick I wanted. It's expensive, no doubt. But if you have frequently cracked lips that are so bad, they bleed, you will wonder where this stuff has been your whole life. If your lips are only mildly dry, and your happy with Chapstick, this will be a pass for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by olivenviolet

I have been around the earth and back (or so it seems) with lip treatments. organic shops, dermatologist, the usual stores. While this seemed promising at Sephora, I'm afraid it's just depositing a lot of good oils onto my lips; and not helping my particular issue. Nor does it make bring a sense of relief (scent or sensation) or color, silk feeling. This may be good if you don't have any issues, but mature lips, beware. This is a money pit.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by tara5415

I quite like the applicator, but the product did nothing for me. Missouri is having a very cold, windy winter and the only product saving me from serious chapped lips is Neosporin Overnight Treatment. A $6.00 jar of white petroleum is saving the day. Thankfully, Sephora has a liberal return policy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading all the raves at various beauty blogs, I decided to splurge on this lip treatment. Meh. It's not terrible in that it does moisturize well enough, but certainly no better than Smith's Rosebud Salve, which I've been using quite happily for years and is considerably cheaper. Plus, the gold applicator is a total gimmick. But the main issue for me was the scent - it's a very strong herbal fragrance that I really didn't like, and normally fragrance in beauty products doesn't bother me a bit. I like to slather on a hefty coat of lip balm before bed, and sometimes I had to wipe it off because I was having trouble falling asleep on account of the smell. If you want to try out an expensive lip treatment this works fine, but it's not exceptional and you may want to give it a sniff to make sure the scent agrees with you before you buy.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2013 11:43:00 PM More reviews by rockstar00

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this lip oil treatment on and off for about 6 months. I like it. I like the smell, feel and overall design of this product. I would repurchase this because I like having this oil in my arsenal of lip treatments.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 12:37:00 AM More reviews by Loubigrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this lip oil! Spendy but worth it especially with dry climate helps plump up and keeps lips looking smooth.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 9:37:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE. TRUE LOVE.

First of all - this is NOT the sort of product I would suggest that everyone goes out and buys. It's pretty ridiculously expensive for a lip treatment. It is not going to replace all your other lip balms and be the one true holy grail for saving your lips. It's not even the perfect pre-cosmetics lip perfecter. So, why do I love No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil so much? Well, part of that lies in what (for me at least) this product is *actually* for.

This is a *skincare* product. I use it twice a day, morning and evening as part of my skincare routine. It stays at home, it doesn't come with me all day long in my bag, that's what all my other lip balms are for. This is mainly because this lip oil is *not* great for 'locking' moisture into the lips and lasting a long time. Please bear with me and let me explain:

Lip balms tend to serve (in my view at least) two main purposes:
-----> The first purpose is to soften and hydrate your lips, and to improve their over-all condition. This is usually accomplished with skincare-type ingredients (like skin-loving oils which can actually penetrate the upper layers of the skin, or chemicals that bind in moisture example: hyaluronic acid, or which have anti-aging or 'plumping' properties etc.) This is where any lasting/semi-lasting benefit or actual 'improvement' in the state of your lips comes from.
-----> The second purpose of most lip balms is to protect and preserve lips in this moisturized and soft state for as long as possible. This is usually accomplished with barrier-type ingredients (like waxes or oils which don't really penetrate the skin but rather sit on top forming a protective layer like mineral oil or petrolatum). This is what gives a lip balm lasting 'slip' and extends how long you can wait before your lips start to feel dry and you reach for a top-up.

Put very simply, No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil is 100% purpose #1 and 0% purpose #2. Which actually makes it quite a rare find! This doesn't replace anything in my routine, instead, it supplements my pre-existing routine (more or less normal use of a few different lip balms and lip colors).

Benefits I've seen:
-- my lips don't dry out as easily/quickly through the day since they're in better over-all condition due to using this regularly
-- less peeling/cracking of lips, even in transitional weather (with usual usage of other balms)
-- zero breaking out around edges of lips/mouth (which is something I can be *very* prone to with some lip products. This product I actually now apply over the edges of my lips and into the corners of my mouth for extra benefit since I completely trust it not to cause breakouts)
-- 'anti-aging' benefits around lips - slight reduction in fine lines near lips, more even pigmentation
-- my lips appear ever so slightly fuller, and don't do the thing where sometimes they look extra thin and sad or 'shriveled up' (like raisins) unless I really abuse them
-- improvement in lip condition means I get to wear lip color more! (and more confidently!)
-- packaging feels luxe, love the gold-tip applicator, and it's easy to control how much you dispense
-- cosmetically elegant - it smells and feels good to use

Downsides:
-- price ... obviously.
-- not good to use right before a strong lip – since it's oil-based it really invites bleeding of lip products even if you're not usually prone to that, so either skip it before a serious lip, or make sure it's had its time to finish sinking in.
-- if you use it alone as a night treatment, you won't wake up with lips still feeling balm-y (though I still find it adequate to the purpose)
-- if you can't stand any lip product feeling even a little bit 'sticky' then you may have texture issues with this stuff
-- can't see how much is left in the tube

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No