MD Solar Sciences Mineral Creme SPF 50 (non-tinted)

3.6

Titanium Dioxide 1.5%, Zinc Oxide 17%. Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Isostearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Polysilicone-15, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Iron Oxides, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Camellia Sinensis (GreenTea) Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranbery) Fruit Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract.

on 2/5/2015 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

(This is my review for the tinted version but I wanted to post it here as the ingredients for these two products are identical aside from the tint and SPF rating. I note the differences in the two products at the end of my review).

This has been working so amazingly well for my normal to dry, acne-prone skin! I used to think silicones were bad or clog pores but this is silicone based and works so well for me. Silicone actually prevents moisture loss from the skin - I guess that is why my skin doesn't feel dry throughout the day when I have this on... it doesn't get shiny in my t-zone throughout the day either... it just feels NORMAL which is amazing for my problematic skin!

I have been using it for just a few weeks and really have seen so much improvement in my skin. It just looks so much fresher and more calm! I love that I found a zinc oxide based mineral sunscreen that works for me for every day! Also, NO breakouts whatsoever! Zinc oxide is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and due to this it can actually make your skin less acne-prone! It reduces the inflammatory response of acne-prone skin to clogged pores, irritation, etc. It is even shown to be great for wound healing. (I have also been taking a daily 22mg zinc picolinate supplement for years - best basic supplement for acne/skin/hair/nails!)

My only issue is that this isn't the best moisturizer to wear under makeup when worn alone. I have not tried it over a moisturizer yet but plan to, to see if it wears better under makeup that way. The product has a very smooth silicone type of feel, almost feels like a primer... but again, it is not drying at all and just seems to bring balance to my skin. I just feel I would need extra moisture if wearing makeup, so I would use a different moisturizer or use this over moisturizer if I was going to wear makeup. Most days I don't wear makeup though and am just concerned with broad spectrum SPF to protect my skin, and this hits that mark while greatly improving my acne-prone skin! I think they are right when they say this is suitable for acne-prone, sensitive skin types and really any skin type!

I previously used Cerave AM SPF30 moisturizer for a couple years until I discovered it is actually NOT broad spectrum and does not protect sufficiently against UVA / early skin aging / cancer from the sun. What a bummer to find I was not really protecting my skin that whole time!

I also purchased the SPF 50 version of this product which has an identical ingredient listing. I was curious how that product is SPF50 while this one is SPF30 when they have the same amount of active ingredients an same exact inactive ingredients, so I emailed the company. They explained that the amount of the inactive ingredients differ and the amount of antioxidants in the formula can make the SPF greater. These products contain pomegranate, cranberry, and green tea extract as antioxidants so I guess maybe the SPF50 has more of those to give it a higher SPF rating. I actually prefer the SPF30 because it is tinted so I don't have to spend as much time blending it into my face. The SPF50 is good as well and doesn't really leave a white cast if you blend it well, but I still prefer the tinted version. I ordered this from Sephora online and am really glad I recently purchased their free flash shipping for 1 year promotion so I can re-order this again and again! I love the packaging too with the brightly colored bottles. I don't find the product to have any scent really (it is fragrance-free).

on 10/26/2014 12:13:00 PM

I tried, I really did. While at Sephora looking into some new mineral powder foundation, I mentioned to the gal helping me that I prefer a foundation without sunblock because you have to cake it on so heavy to actually get sunblock benefits. However, I hadn't found a good sunblock to wear under mineral powder makeup either as nothing seems to set well enough to apply a powder over it. She raved about MD Solar Sciences 50 Mineral Creme and how well it sets and that it's perfect for under makeup.

Not so with me. I do have oily skin, but not THAT bad (I'm 50 after all), so I can't blame that. I put this on and waited and waited and waited for it to set and it never does. There was no way I was touching my mineral powder brush onto my slippery face and then back into the powder again, so I didn't use anything and just powdered my face to get the shine off using a tissue dipped in the powder. The entire day I looked and felt like a grease slick. Use my phone and it's all over my phone. If I dare accidentally touch my face then touch my computer, I get it on my keyboard. My mascara was leaving marks on my skin under my eyes since this would never dry! I've used it twice since then, both times adding one of my favorite liquid foundations over it (Makeup Forever from Sephora), and it was even worse. I feel I have to wash my blush brush each time I use it too. I have very fair, thin skin, so anything heavy feels terrible and this is the worst. I threw it out.

I'm glad this works for some, and wish it did for me. So disappointed.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This product is simply too heavy for my oily skin. I was constantly aware of its presence on my face, which drove me insane! The first couple of hours after applying, it was tolerable. But by end of day, I had to run home and wash my face. It made me itchy even though itís not made with oxybenzone (which Iím allergic to). And although it says itís noncomedogenic, I started to break out from it.

What I liked about the product is that it seemed to wear well under my makeup; It didnít make my concealer look too cakey. It also didnít look too white on my skin (NC 42) as long as I didnít apply a really heavy layer. It kept my face fairly matte all day, which was an unexpected benefit. And it gave my skin a nice, smooth finish. Iím disappointed that it didnít work for me. I really wanted a good SPF 50 sunscreen. The search continuesÖ

on 6/13/2014 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I think this is better worn alone than under makeup. To get the protection stated on the label, you'd have to apply this liberally as instructed on the package (which is a little over 1 ml per application or about 1/4 tsp). Used daily, one tube should last about 45 days. Maybe two months if you don't mind less protection to stretch it out a bit.
With the correct amount applied, this "primer-like" sunscreen will never set. I have several durable foundations - Clarins Everlasting and Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H - both of which wear like iron on my normal/dry skin. But these two refuse to dry down and set when worn over this sunscreen. I can wait ten minutes, touch my face, and foundation still feels buttery. It easily smears off. To fix that problem I liberally use loose powder and then it does set, but then it looks cakey and wears off weirdly throughout the day, like it started to congeal. This didn't even work well with mineral makeup. It looked dull and thick. So, I don't recommend this one with foundation unless you don't mind wearing a tiny bit so it'll work w/ makeup, and getting about SPF 8 protection as a result.
I DO like it with a bare face. It's good for days when I need to protect my skin before running errands and okay when working in the yard. The silicone texture blurs fine lines and it does make my skin look pretty. I do look a little bit white when it's used correctly but nothing too noticeable. Make sure to rub it away from the brows to prevent snowdrifts. ;)
Would I buy it again? I don't think so. While I think it's good for bare-faced errands, I like the tinted version better for that because it looks more natural (though it has only spf 30). And I prefer a more durable sunscreen when working outside as I tend to sweat and this one slips around. I like Shiseido's facial sunscreens better under makeup, especially the Urban Environment line and the blue tube line for outside work (when I don't really care how white my face is - I just want a s/s that sticks and works). continued >>

on 4/28/2014 1:28:00 PM

I'm giving this a 4, but it simply did not work for me. It's without a doubt a good sunscreen. I can totally see how it could be HG for many people. It has great antioxidants-- green tea, cranberry, pomegranate, as well as tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, which is a form of vitamin c that is lipid soluble, so it penetrates the skin easily. The downside for me is that it is packed with silicones and feels heavy on my very oily skin. It has a very silky/slippery texture that reminds me of a silicone primer. It makes my skin feel sticky, which as an oily-skinned gal I cannot stand. I much prefer matte/dry feeling sunscreens. This one feels like like it doesn't absorb/dry. I've also found that this sunscreen dehydrates my skin, but I am prone to dehydration. I'm not 100% sure if this was the culprit, but I broke out while using this, possibly due to all the occlusive silicones. Perhaps I'll give it another go when I'm spending more time outdoors. UPDATE: I've been using this the past two days. It definitely breaks me out. It gives me numerous whiteheads by the end of the day.

on 10/19/2013 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I just finished a .08oz sample of this that I received at Thompson Alchemy in NYC and WOWEE! This sunscreen has 1.5% Titanium Dioxide and 17% Zinc Oxide (physical blockers) yet leaves absolutely no white cast.
It has the same exact texture and application feel as high-end primer (very velvety and smooth) and definitely has a mattifying effect once applied.

I'm incredibly sensitive to sunscreens yet adamant about wearing them, even highly regarded Keihl's superfluid left my eyes stinging and my skin weighted, this feels like heaving going on, but feels like nothing once it's on.

I cannot wait to go back and purchase a full size product.

March 1 2014 Edit: I am now on my second full size tube of this product and I cannot recommend it enough! Holy Grail sunscreen/primer 100%!

on 6/8/2013 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is for the non-tinted reformulated version of the gel, in which they've added an antioxidant complex (green tea, cranberry, pomegranate, vitamin C), as well as upped the spf from 30 to 50. I've also written a separate review for the tinted version (which is spf 30). No white cast on me (nc15-20ish) which is rare. I am fair skinned but have warm undertones so even a minor white cast looks dreadful on me. I find both this one and the tinted version to be very cosmetically elegant - they have a primer-like effect, blurrng imperfections and are matte (most likely due to the silica). Glides onto the skin easily (no rubbing required), leaving a smooth finish. Whereas the old version gel was drying for me, this one is not drying at all. Does not 'spackle' into the pores like some physical sunscreens. Not sure how often I'll reach for the untinted version since I prefer tinted sunscreens, but I'll use this now and again at the beach and such. Water resistant up to 80 mins. Tenacious and will probably require a cleansing oil to remove, which I use anyways. There is also a lotion spf 50 that I haven't tried but that is supposed to be more moisturizing.