December 22, 2014 | 1014 users online

Treatments (Face) - DCL - Glycolic Acid Pads 10%

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2014 3:47:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

These 10% glycolic pads have only three ingredients, which is the primary reason that I purchased them. Water, glycolic acid and ammonium hydroxide are the only ingredients in this. I find the pads to be quite saturated and I am able to swipe my face, chest and hands before it starts to feel dry. I use this in the morning and leave on for 20-30 minutes and rinse off. I have combination skin, large pores and cystic acne on forehead. Using this product has definitely been beneficial in improving my skin's clarity. I feel that this is a quality product and am finding it helpful for my skin, so I am willing to pay the higher price for it. I used Peter Thomas Roth pads in the past which are 10% glycolic acid and 2% salicylic acid, and really did not notice much of a difference in my skin while using them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 6:34:00 PM More reviews by MRSLE

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just ordered my second jar of these. I have extremely sensitive skin but it still needs exfoliating. These glycolic pads have been great. I generally use one once a week and leave it on for about 5 minutes or so and then wash it off. They only have 3 ingredients! Thanks to Skincarekev for telling me about these.

Here's something interesting. On the left side of my face I had a little spot that was crusty. I showed it to the dermatologist and she said it was nothing to worry about. After using these pads weeks for several months I noticed the crusty part is all gone. I still have a small red mark on my face but the glycolic over time removed the crusty layer. I was impressed.

If you have very sensitive skin these may be worth trying. I got mine at The Dermstore with a 20% off code. They are a little expensive. Each jar has 50 pads. I paid around $36 dollars with the code but the new container will last me another year. Well worth the money!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2013 9:36:00 AM More reviews by mryno

This is the only exfoliator my sensitive rosacea skin will tolerate. I use it twice a week and it makes my skin look so much smoother and brighter.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2013 1:22:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am trying these DCL Glycolic Acid Pads 10% in a quest to find an AHA alternative to the Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel, which I've used daily for several years.

[The Roth gel has several positives which I appreciate, but the big negatives for me are:
-It's sticky/tacky on my skin (regardless of how little I use and how long I let it dry) so I don't find it easy to layer with other products
-The clear glass bottle leads to quicker degradation of the formula than I would like (even though I usually keep my bottle in a dark place).]

My skin breaks out from almost all moisturizers/creams, but still I've tried a few recently that have glycolic acid in them to see if they'd be okay, but they weren't, due to other ingredients that clogged me up or gave me a rash.

Besides, the problem for me with using an AHA moisturizer/gel/serum is that having to wear an AHA product for a significant part of the day (either all day or all night) is inconvenient, because there are other things I want to use on my skin that aren't easy to use/layer simultaneously (either due to formula incompatibility, as with benzoyl peroxide, or application issues, as with foundation that doesn't mesh well with the AHA product).

I figured it might be time to try a glycolic acid pad (which are often meant to provide a 5-to-20 minute treatment that is rinsed off, rather than a product layer that stays on the face all day or all night).

I thought I'd start low and get a 10% product, equivalent to the Roth gel's percentage that I've been using for several years.

I also didn't want a product that had a lot of extra ingredients that could bother my skin.

Therefore, even though there were no reviews yet on MUA of this product, I purchased DCL Glycolic Acid Pads 10%, which only have 3 ingredients: Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide.

The instructions are to apply it to the skin, wait 20 minutes, then rinse. After you build up a tolerance to it, they say you don't have to rinse, if you don't want to.

My first impressions are:

This 10% AHA feels a lot stronger than the Roth gel's 10% AHA. Much of that is probably due to the buffering and moisturizing ingredients that the Roth gel contains, but it does seem to me that this AHA pad has a stronger acid effect. For example, it really stings my neck (so much so that I need to wipe it off my neck after 5 minutes instead of waiting for 20), while the Roth gel has never bothered my neck. Maybe the pads have a lower PH than the Roth gel, allowing the acid to work more effectively. Even on my face, I can feel the pad working, and it feels prudent right now to use a pad only once every 3 days, rather than daily. I do rinse it off my face too, usually after about 30 minutes. (I am glad that I did not get the 20% pads!)

The pads themselves are scratchy and hurt my skin unless I swipe them very gently. I don't know why they are made this way - maybe to roughen up the skin cells to allow the acid to penetrate better. They don't look harsh - being modest white fabric rounds - but the feeling they impart to my face is similar to what one of those green kitchen scratch pads (for washing cooking pots etc.) might! I would give these 5 lippies if the pads were not so rough on the skin.

I wish that the container weren't a wide-lid screw-top container, because even careful use will result in the remaining product's being exposed to a lot of air, light, potential contamination from the fingers, and evaporation.

Update: I gradually was able to go from using a pad once every 3 days to once a day. I can still feel the acid sting, but it goes away in a few minutes. I rinse after anything from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. I don't put any other products on top. The glycolic acid has been clearing up my skin and making it smoother. It has done so pretty gradually. However, I had already been using the Roth 10% glycolic gel daily for several years, so it is surprising that a different 10% glycolic product would improve my skin further after just a month, the way this one has done.

This product does leave a sticky, tacky feeling on my skin. I have realized that the tacky feeling must be an inherent quality of glycolic acid (at least on my skin), and I personally don't do very well when trying to layer other products on top of such a tacky base layer, so I am going to keep using a quicker-acting, rinse-off glycolic product (applied by pad) rather than a glycolic moisturizer or serum which is meant to be used over a long period of the day or night.

Now that I know I want to use a glycolic acid pad for my daily AHA treatment, and that the DCL pads are okay for me, I decided to compare them with other 10% glycolic pad products to see if any others work better, or work the same at a cheaper price. The DCL pads are pretty pricey - for 50 pads, regular price is over forty dollars.

Many of the glycolic pads on the market I won't try because they have ingredients in them that I am sensitive to (such as salicylic acid, which weirdly gives me deep pimples), but there is another product whose ingredients look okay, and is half the price of the DCL container, for 60 pads. It is Glycolix 10% Treatment Pads and they have the same first three ingredients as the DCL, plus about 12 others (mainly vitamins, menthol, preservatives, plus "witch hazel water" which I guess is witch hazel without any alcohol). I used one of these for the first time today and will do a separate review of them.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No