July 22, 2014 | 2152 users online

Self Tanners - Million Dollar Tan - Tan Icon Extreme (Spray)

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 8:26:00 PM More reviews by VillainousVixen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I received this product with very high hopes of loving it only to be disappointed in the end. I decided to purchase it after seeing all my favorite beauty gurus on YouTube recommending it. I assumed I would adore it, like many of the other product recommendations I received from them, but unfortunately, this was not the case.
I was looking for that perfect sunkissed look for summertime and wanted to achieve it without any damage to my fair complexion (I can get tan but it takes a lot of work).
The application was awful; it dried so quickly it was next to impossible to get an even application regardless of how skilled you are at blending. On top of that, they give you this tacky arts and crafts paint brush you can get from anywhere to apply the self-tanner. The smell wasn't bad (it smelled similar to coconut) but the solution was very sticky for the majority of the 6-8 hours it takes to develop.
After showering to remove the color guard, I was quite dark, but extremely orangey-- the exact opposite of what you seek in a tan. My boyfriend remarked that I looked like a "tangerine". This orange appearance is amplified in the sunlight, the very place you want to show off your new golden glow. The solution also got stuck in all of my pores and only left after a couple good scrubbings and by that time the color is faded and splotchy.
The orange-ness doesn't really go away as the tan fades, either.
The tan lasts a few days and is unflattering in the way it fades and the coloring. It makes my hands and palms look filthy even though I didn't use my hands to apply it with and washed my hands various times after the fact to make sure it would not.
Bottom line, I would never purchase this product again nor recommend it to anyone. I wish I had never wasted my money.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2014 3:06:00 AM More reviews by misguidedrose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

After being disappointed with the L'oreal Sublime Bronze Mousse, and the self tanners I liked in the past having been discontinued, I did some research to find a new one to try. It came down to this and Fake Bake Flawless and I decided to go for the Million Dollar Tan after seeing so many positive reviews online.

I liked the fact that it's tinted so you can see exactly where you're applying it, and the self tanner itself is dark enough that I only needed one layer--all the color isn't washed away in the shower like with the L'oreal.

My main issue is the packaging/application. The sponge applicator that came with the product seemed to absorb too much and wouldn't really blend it in properly. Gloves seemed to just smear it around on my skin and it wouldn't blend at all. I didn't have a felt mitt so I ended up applying with my bare hands, washing frequently to keep them from staining. The liquid dried fast enough that I wasn't able to blend it in anymore after a certain point, but it was still sticky to the touch. It took quite a long time to dry completely, and the formula was definitely more temperamental than the L'oreal--in the couple hours after I applied it before going to sleep I somehow managed to smudge it half a dozen times while doing nothing more than lying in bed. I was able to fix it by applying a tiny bit more and blending it out, but it was annoying.

The next morning after showering I found I had a nice color from the waist up, but my legs weren't any darker *at all* (I ended up applying another product on them). My hands were a bit darker than the rest of my upper half and were slightly streaky--I applied the product to my hands with a makeup brush after I was done with the rest of my body, which has worked great for me in the past, but in this case I think I just applied too much. I wash my hands constantly, though, so after a couple days it evened out and looked fine. The color looked fairly natural--maybe ever so slightly orange on my hands at first where I applied too much, but much less so than the L'oreal, lasted for a decent amount of time, and faded evenly. I used it on my neck and face as well--the color actually looked better on my face/neck than my body for some reason--and it did not break me out.

Minus the application issues and the color not seeming to stick to my legs for some reason, I do think it's a decent product overall. I really love the color on my face/neck so I will keep using it for that, but I've found a product I like better for my body. As for repurchasing, I put no--I may try the mousse version for the face when I finish this one up, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 2:57:00 PM More reviews by LindseyB123

This is the BEST self tanner I've ever used, and Ive used them ALL. I'm an everyday self tanner and have been for years, so I'm pretty confident that I know what I'm talking about. It smells like coconut when you first apply it, but the smell goes away soon. You do not get a very strong self tan smell the next morning like other self tan

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've used the Million Dollar Tan Cabana Tan lotions in original and Extreme and loved both so much that I wanted to try the Tan Icon Extreme Spray as well. The first thing I did when I received it was to unscrew the cap and smell it. I had heard so many great things about the smell from people on youtube that I thought it would be magically wonderful. Instead, I smelled it and almost passed out. Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration but it literally smelled like straight rubbing alcohol with a hint of coconut. I looked at the ingredients list and sure enough, isopropyl alochol and alcohol denat. were the second and third ingredients listed after water. I was actually afraid to use it. I could just picture the cracked, dried out desert wasteland that my skin would become. Oddly enough, it turned out quite the opposite.

This spray comes with a foam sponge-on-a-stick applicator that one might otherwise use to paint with. I gave it a try with my first application but quickly ditched it because I just felt like it wasn't applying evenly and that I'd end up streaky. I used vinyl-gloved hands to rub it in instead which was definitely more tricky and time consuming. In the end I was afraid I was going to wake up in the morning looking like a streaky mess and just wasn't very confident about the whole thing. (I should note that I did the usual cleansing and exfoliation, followed by lotioning up the typical areas prior to tanning.) I was surprised to find though that the product smelled MUCH better when sprayed out and applied, and it also dried very quickly. By the time I was done with my upper body, my legs were completely dry.

The next morning I showered off the color guide to see a very nice, natural looking tan. The color this product gives me is a golden bronzy/brown-with-a-hint-of-olive. It was just the right depth for me with one applicaiton - a medium tan - which is exactly what I want! I didn't have any streaking, though the areas around my underarms had grabbed a little more color despite the fact that I had lotioned them up prior to tanning, but I'm positive that was due to the fact that I was applying a liquid with vinyl gloves. It's just too hard to get that perfect. Regardless, it was hardly noticeable at all. The color lasted a solid 7 days, and I reapplied my tan on the 8th day. Fading was amazing! There was absolutely no lizard skin or weird streaking or blotching. And what impressed and surprised me the most was that this product didn't make me itch AT ALL. Nearly all the STers I've tried have caused at least mild itching in specific areas, but this one didn't one bit. On top of that, my skin wasn't dried out in the least; in fact, it felt very moisturized! I should note that I didn't use this on my face. The high amounts of alcohol make me too nervous for that. But this was absolutely wonderful on my body and is my current favorite sunless tanning product. I just tried out Fake Bake Flawless, and while I prefer the color I get from that one a little bit more, this one works way better for me. Fake Bake just wasn't dark enough and it caused some sort of allergic reaction on my back. At least now I can use the Fake Bake mitt with this product instead for a much quicker, easier application!