Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara

3.2

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I really like the brush on this but the formula smears and smudges under my eyes. Will wash the brush and reuse for something else!

on 7/28/2015 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Dramatic impact ..yes... Graphic precision..yes..but I don't love it... At the end of the day I just want to take it off! I think the effect is nice but there is better mascaras, and much more comfortable.

on 7/27/2015 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The first time that I used the sample size, I hated it. I even gave it away. I got another sample and started using it again. This time, I loved it. It looks as if I have fake lashes on. I am using less eyeliner and shadow because of this product. It does not dry fast so when you add more coats, your lashes would stay flexible. It adds volume and length and over all, it has become the only mascara that I would ever purchase. I have tried lots of mascaras, including Dior and Benefit's, but this one is a keeper. The travel size of this at Sephora is only $12 which is similar to what you would pay for a drugstore brand. It lasts a long time too. Highly recommended!

on 7/20/2015 5:52:00 PM

I got this as a sample from Sephora. I always stick to drugstore mascaras so I don't feel guilty throwing them out after the 3-5 month mark, so I was excited to try a high end brand. I'm wholly underwhelmed. I don't find this mascara makes my lashes look 'extravagant' in any particular way. I think a fabulous mascara has a lot of marks to hit, so I tried to look for what this mascara CAN do, and I have not come up with much. I usually try to evaluate both the formula and the brush, so that the faults of one could possibly be filled by the strengths of the other; but this formula failed me so hard, I won't even depart onto discussion of the latter. Here are the things I was looking out for:

Lasting power: F. Maybe 4 hours? at the end of 6 hours, there was nothing on my eyelashes. What I found odd is that I didn't find flakes on my face either-- it was as if the mascara had disappeared completely.
Curling effect: F. It almost completely flattened out my lashes.
Dry time: C+. Took an average amount of time, though it seems really wet. I might try to dry this formula out a little to try to get some better 'oomph' factor out of this.
Length: F. Nothing noticeable
Volume: D+. Maybe--MAYBE a crumb over the lengthening aspect, but not really a whole lot.

The total effect of this mascara was just that my eyelashes looked wet, until the formula dried, and it seemed I had fewer lashes altogether. The only small 'hoorah' this mascara has for me is that I'm not allergic to it--I have had reactions only to Revlon mascaras. (I guess if I had to really squeeze a silver lining out of this, I can now appreciate my natural lashes more, since they look better without this anyway...)

I much prefer the full effect of L'Oreal Carbon Black Voluminous, and the staying power of L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof TONS better. So I'll be sticking to those. (And that duo together costs far less than the full size of this mascara.)

on 6/24/2015 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Let me first begin this review y saying... if you want a regular "just because" mascara this is NOT what you're looking for.

Personally I LOVE this mascara, depending on the look I'm going for. This mascara gives me every bit of length and drama that can be given to my eyes without using falsies. It stays on the whole time I'm wearing it. I love the brush, it makes it easy to life the lashes up from the roots and does a good job and dispersing the product evenly. Two coats IMO is too much. One coat usually does me well.

I see some negative reviews and I can't understand why. It adds tremendous volume and length but then I have naturally long eyelashes so maybe that plays into it as well. I will definitely purchase this once I run out.

*Little tip, I find that when I wear this mascara and my PTR Lashes to Die For mascara they work very very well together at giving me super long super full eyelashes.*

on 6/11/2015 10:01:00 AM

Best mascara I have ever used, but pricey. Great definition, no clumps, volume and length.

on 5/22/2015 10:47:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The more mascara reviews I read/write/watch, the more I hear about the sample sizes performing differently from full sized versions. Considering the entire purpose of a sample size is to help one to decide whether it is worth it to splurge on the full sized version, I find this to add to the problem! In theory, you're trying two different products! Luckily, this mascara is also sold as a "travel size" for $12 (Full=$24). I received a sample of this for some reason or other from Sephora and was originally scared of the brush which is quite thick and lush. I absolutely loved the way this made my lashes look. They looked full and voluminous and "extravagant". It added definition and length, which made my everyday look a bit fancier. I found the black to be truly pigmented black and had no issues with clumping despite the deceiving brush. Definitely give this a try, especially since it is available as a sample size!

on 5/9/2015 9:44:00 PM

I love this mascara, but its soo expensive. I tried to go cheap and it didn't work. I went back to this. This mascara makes my eyelashes look so much better. It lasts all day and I got compliments from my co-workers when I first started wearing it. It's a keeper for me.

on 5/2/2015 3:50:00 PM

To being, I have only ever tried the sample size which I received as a birthday gift from Sephora for free. I have naturally long, thing, and un-voluminous lashes for reference. This mascara makes my lashes look absolutely stunning. It basically never clumps on me, which is the thing that I hate the most about a lot of mascaras. It separates my lashes and gives an amazing length to them. (I usually do 2-3 coats). Now I have heard that the full size is different than the sample, but have never tried the full size myself. I could see someone with shorter lashes not loving this mascara, but if your lashes are like mine you have to try this mascara!

on 4/24/2015 6:25:00 PM

So here's the thing about this mascara -- for some reason, there is a massive difference between the sample size and the full size! I've tried four sample sizes (I got my first as part of Sephora's birthday gift, then my sister and friends gave me their birthday samples) and they all worked beautifully: the tapered brush lengthens, curls, volumizes and thickens my long, skinny eyelashes to my heart's content. Excited by the first two samples, I bought a full size tube which did absolutely NOTHING for my lashes. Maybe it's one of those formulas that has to thicken or change a bit after you open the tube? But the sample sizes always worked right from the beginning? It's a mystery.

The reason this is 3 lippies (or 3.5, if I could give half lippies) instead of higher, however, is that it smudges no matter what I do. I don't even apply it on my lower lashes but the smudging always happens. Great for when I'm going out at night or when I consciously want a grungy, messy, undone look that's heavy on the eye makeup, but not for when I'm standing in front of a group of students.

Video Reviews & Tutorials