Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara

3.3

the brush on this is awesome. the tapered bristles make it easy to get right into the inner corner. and the fat bit makes the outer lashes really fan out. i like it a lot.

Today I was noodling around with my mascara stash to whittle it down. I started doing comparisons, one eye with one product, one with another…and to my surprise, I found a spot-on dupe for MUFE Smoky Extravagance!

Maybelline Illegal Length in Brownish Black** is a spot-on dupe appearance and color-wise to MUFE Smoky Extravagant in Black.

It’s relevant to say that I love Maybelline Illegal Length - it’s my favorite non-tubing mascara. Given that the MUFE gives an identical appearance, but for price, you’d think I’d love SE just as much. However I don’t, and here’s why.

The brush. I do not understand the bulbous end: presumably this is to “extravagantly” load up your lashes, but in reality, it just makes it that much more difficult to get your lashes deeply between the bristles without getting mascara on your skin. Not a fan. As it’s an old-school bristle brush (and the bristles on both products are about the same distance apart), the lashes are going to pass through both brushes about the same way...so why make the end of the SE brush protrude like that?
The texture. SE is slightly heavier on my lashes than IL - even though they look identical. I don’t like the extra weight.
The cost. MUFE is $24 at this writing for .23 oz versus $8.99 for .22 oz of Maybelline (MUFE’s travel size is $12 for .16 oz.!)

If none of those things put you off, then here’s what I love about SE (same as IL):

Length with some volume at the base, but not a lot. One coat is a couple of clicks above a natural lash without looking over-the-top. Perfect for daytime.
You can do two coats ***if you’ve a lash comb*** without looking like Miss Manga. Perfect for nighttime. Without a comb, Miss Manga you will be (more so w/ MUFE; less so with IL)
The color is decent for this pale skinned blonde - I prefer brown as it looks less harsh, but this is not jarring, and good enough for daytime.
IL has fibers. I don’t know if SE does too, but regardless, it makes lashes look just as long and densified as the IL.

Given the above, I’d say the Maybelline is superior as the brush is much easier to work with. Were it not for the MUFE brush, I’d say this Smoky Extravagant is an awesome mascara if you want to spend $24. But the SE’s brush - coupled with the price - makes me give this low marks for packaging and only 3 lippies overall due to price/ease of use/heavier formula.

**Brownish Black is almost impossible to find nowadays - I think they’ve discontinued the shade and now only offer Blackest Black. Which in theory will be darker than SE.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

While it does do a great job with providing length, making the lashes look plump like falsies, I have nearly put my eye out using this oddly shaped wand.

I got a deluxe sample of this from Sephora, and I'm in love with it! Lengthens and defines your lashes very nicely! Very nice formula. Just pricey!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has a pretty good formula Its not crunchy, not too wet , does not flake, does not make my eyes water and is easy to remove with a cleansing oil. It gives pretty good length but the volume is lacking and I think the problem is the brush. I'm ok with the tear-drop shape, I've used other mascaras that have that and they work fine. The issue is that the bristles are too spaced apart so it makes my lashes stick together a little and I don't get the feathery, full look that I like. It doesn't look bad though, its just more of defined look which is not my preference.

Luckily, I bought this as a $12 sample at Sephora which I like because its more than enough to last the 3 months mascara should be kept for. I got about a month of use of this and moved on to something else so it wasn't a total waste. I'll probably keep it for the next couple months for blending in false eyelashes. Since its not a crispy formula, its pretty good for that.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

personally, I think there's nothing smoky or extravagant about this mascara. it barely even shows up on my lashes! it does absolutely nothing for length or volume and instead makes them clumpy as hell. so with this, you'll have stubby sad clumpy lashes. I'm extremely unimpressed and definitely returning this.

Wow, the only other dream of a HG mascara for me has been Longcils Boncza, which can be so difficult to find. I walked into Sephora four months ago, thinking " Expensive mascara, why would I ever buy one?" Well, when the siren song starting calling out to me said, " Come on just try it, it is going to make your eyes look even more spectacular.." I admit it, I did succumb.

This is just that incredible! If I use my eyelash curler with this heaven sent HG, I look as though I am wearing false eyelashes! The brush is tapered down to a point, which fits oh so well, with the tiniest lashes closest to my nose. I rarely ever need to use my eyelash comb, because it is just that good. The tube has lasted so long, which negates it's price.

I just bought my second tube today and when the first one runs out, I am good to go. It does not glop onto my lashes like the Urban Decay perversion mascara.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I adore this gorgeous, easy-to-use, va-va-voom mascara! It's deeply black, it elogates beautifully, separates perfectly, and holds curl all day. It's my staple. I adore both wands, but Extravagant has become my most used mascara.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I really like the brush on this but the formula smears and smudges under my eyes. Will wash the brush and reuse for something else!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Dramatic impact ..yes... Graphic precision..yes..but I don't love it... At the end of the day I just want to take it off! I think the effect is nice but there is better mascaras, and much more comfortable.

Popular Mascaras