Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara

3.2

on 6/24/2015 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Let me first begin this review y saying... if you want a regular "just because" mascara this is NOT what you're looking for.

Personally I LOVE this mascara, depending on the look I'm going for. This mascara gives me every bit of length and drama that can be given to my eyes without using falsies. It stays on the whole time I'm wearing it. I love the brush, it makes it easy to life the lashes up from the roots and does a good job and dispersing the product evenly. Two coats IMO is too much. One coat usually does me well.

I see some negative reviews and I can't understand why. It adds tremendous volume and length but then I have naturally long eyelashes so maybe that plays into it as well. I will definitely purchase this once I run out.

*Little tip, I find that when I wear this mascara and my PTR Lashes to Die For mascara they work very very well together at giving me super long super full eyelashes.*

on 6/11/2015 10:01:00 AM

Best mascara I have ever used, but pricey. Great definition, no clumps, volume and length.

on 5/22/2015 10:47:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The more mascara reviews I read/write/watch, the more I hear about the sample sizes performing differently from full sized versions. Considering the entire purpose of a sample size is to help one to decide whether it is worth it to splurge on the full sized version, I find this to add to the problem! In theory, you're trying two different products! Luckily, this mascara is also sold as a "travel size" for $12 (Full=$24). I received a sample of this for some reason or other from Sephora and was originally scared of the brush which is quite thick and lush. I absolutely loved the way this made my lashes look. They looked full and voluminous and "extravagant". It added definition and length, which made my everyday look a bit fancier. I found the black to be truly pigmented black and had no issues with clumping despite the deceiving brush. Definitely give this a try, especially since it is available as a sample size!

on 5/9/2015 9:44:00 PM

I love this mascara, but its soo expensive. I tried to go cheap and it didn't work. I went back to this. This mascara makes my eyelashes look so much better. It lasts all day and I got compliments from my co-workers when I first started wearing it. It's a keeper for me.

on 5/2/2015 3:50:00 PM

To being, I have only ever tried the sample size which I received as a birthday gift from Sephora for free. I have naturally long, thing, and un-voluminous lashes for reference. This mascara makes my lashes look absolutely stunning. It basically never clumps on me, which is the thing that I hate the most about a lot of mascaras. It separates my lashes and gives an amazing length to them. (I usually do 2-3 coats). Now I have heard that the full size is different than the sample, but have never tried the full size myself. I could see someone with shorter lashes not loving this mascara, but if your lashes are like mine you have to try this mascara!

on 4/24/2015 6:25:00 PM

So here's the thing about this mascara -- for some reason, there is a massive difference between the sample size and the full size! I've tried four sample sizes (I got my first as part of Sephora's birthday gift, then my sister and friends gave me their birthday samples) and they all worked beautifully: the tapered brush lengthens, curls, volumizes and thickens my long, skinny eyelashes to my heart's content. Excited by the first two samples, I bought a full size tube which did absolutely NOTHING for my lashes. Maybe it's one of those formulas that has to thicken or change a bit after you open the tube? But the sample sizes always worked right from the beginning? It's a mystery.

The reason this is 3 lippies (or 3.5, if I could give half lippies) instead of higher, however, is that it smudges no matter what I do. I don't even apply it on my lower lashes but the smudging always happens. Great for when I'm going out at night or when I consciously want a grungy, messy, undone look that's heavy on the eye makeup, but not for when I'm standing in front of a group of students.

on 4/18/2015 7:28:00 PM

I'm surprised at all the negative reviews. This is probably hands-down the best mascara I've ever tried. For reference, my favorites before this was Estee Lauder double wear lengthening, and Maybelline full 'n soft. I favor a more natural look with my lashes, and very volumizing formulas weigh them down and makes wearing mascara a chore. This mascara is lengthening, and very good at it. It does not give much volume at all, but it separates lashes well and makes my lashes look like they're naturally very long. The fiber formula makes it tear-proof, and it washes off best with warm water. It might flake after 5+ hours, but it's typically very very little. My only complaint is that the brush is huge. My lashes are on the shorter side, and the brush makes application a bit of a hassle. I won't purchase this (got it for free) because it is expensive for me, and I could probably find a close equivalent in drugstores.

on 4/18/2015 4:50:00 AM

Mediocre. I'm so glad I got this for free.
Provides almost no volume and it's clumpy. Makes my lashes a little spidery too. The brush is oddly shaped and I find it difficult to work with.
But it lengthens okay, has a nice dark black color, and I like that it has a wet formula. And it hasn't given me any problems with smudging or flaking either.
I find that I rarely reach for this because I don't like the way it makes my lashes look. I like a mascara that makes my lashes plush, voluminous, and dramatic. Unfortunately this one just doesn't deliver.
It's not horrible but it retails for $23. Not worth it in my opinion.

on 4/13/2015 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this product so much. I use this product every day as my top-lash mascara. It adds great length to my lashes and really opens up my eyes. My eyelashes are not naturally curly, but adding this seems to curl it. Don't really like how big it is closer to the base, but because I have to use a different mascara for my bottom lashes. But overall, great product and would totally buy again.

on 3/28/2015 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Best mascara ever! It makes my lashes long, full and dark. I DO NOT have to curl them....I wait for about 30 seconds after my second coat and use the index fingers on my hands to push them up and hold for about 30 seconds and they stay up without having to use the torture device called an eyelash curler! This is without a doubt the best mascara I have ever used......and i have tried tons of them. At about $24.00 a tube (at Sephora) I feel it is well worth the money.

Video Reviews & Tutorials