September 2, 2014 | 1199 users online

Mascara - Make Up For Ever - Smoky Extravagant Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by IndustryKoda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recieved this as my birthday gift from Sephora. I was very surprised by the formula and brush, which is a rarity for me. I am very picky when it comes to mascaras.
This brush can actually be as intended. The largest part did a wonderful job of grabbing my stubborn outer corner lashes while the thin end didn't overcoat the inner corner. I simply rotated the handle and it grabbed and coated evenly.
The formula is not too wet nor too dry; it stands nicely in the middle.
I would like to see a bristle style scraper inside the neck of the tube however; the thin part seems to collect too much mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by SeashellsInSummer

I found this mascara to greatly lengthen and moderately volumize my lashes while retaining their softness and curling them. The pigmentation is deep and sooty black. I appreciated receiving this product as a gift for my birthday recently, and am happy to be introduced to this French brand. My every day mascara is Rimmel Lash Accelerator which has helped in preserving and slightly lengthening my medium length thick eyelashes. I plan on repurchasing because, like previously mentioned, this is truly an elegant formula. Considering the price, it will be great for friday nights and special occasions. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this mascara and the glamorous yet soft and fluttery effect it gives.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2014 1:07:00 PM More reviews by CPMUSTANG

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like most people, I received this mascara as a birthday gift from Sephora. I have long lashes to start with so all I really use mascara for is to make my lashes pop a bit and to give me a nice finished look. The mascara is good: after three days in a row of use I haven't noticed any flaking or smudging. Application is pain with the giant brush and I did have some clumping. Its good enough to use up the free sample but I wouldn't purchase the full sized product.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/17/2014 12:19:00 AM More reviews by sameenelahi821

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I received a sample of this product with my Sephora birthday gift and I was totally disappointed. I had pretty high hopes for it, too. Unfortunately, this mascara is very liquidy and clumps easily. The brush is awkward to use, and while the directions say you're supposed to use the narrow tip for your lower lashes or "touch-ups" or something, the only way to get the thick side to the edge of your lashes is to switch hands. I'm not in the habit of doing that and the formula just isn't good enough for me to bother switching hands. Not only that, but it basically washes off with water. If it doesn't wash off with water, then it will inevitably smudge by the end of the day. I'm just glad I didn't pay money for this product. I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of one good thing about it. I guess the color is pretty black? Thoroughly disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by christinequeen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I originally started using this mascara when I got in a sample box at Sephora. I've had it for a couple months and still have a ton of product left. I would definitely repurchase the regular size (between 20-25$ at Sephora). It is on the high-end side, but it's one of my favorite mascaras. The mascara gives you a TON of volume, but there isn't much separation, so I wouldn't recommend more than 2 coats (One does the trick for me). If you want separated lashes, this isn't the product for you.

Pros:
ton of volume
lots of product
good packaging

Cons:
pricey
giant brush
no seperation

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2014 7:10:00 PM More reviews by yingxiaodong

Pros:
This mascara does add significant length to my lashes.
Cons:
However, it will smudge/flask if you stay outdoors, especially when the weather is hot. Then your eyes are really "smoky extravagant".
After a couple of coats, lashes will be clumpy and sticky. The worst part is, extremely hard to remove.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Got this as a bday gift form Sephora and I really like it. Once again, I'm in the minority.

I get some volume but a great deal of length & definition from this product. The funnel shaped brush is interesting - never saw anything like that before. Yes, you do get a glob of product on the tip, but really, just run the tip against the opening of the tube and the problem is solved. When you put your brush back into the tube, the product will travel with it. No mess, no waste.

It does remind me of One by One mascara by Maybelline, which is why I wouldn't purchase again. If I can get the same thing for $6, why would I pay 2-4 times as much for it? I won't.

That said, I do like the product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by mom2go

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Not my cup of tea. I greatly prefer the CK One mascara, which was also a free birthday gift.

To me, this mascara is very comparable in consistency to a mid-level Maybelline mascara. Thin, prone to balling, and grey-black. Nothing special. I actually like the plush brush, but as others have noted, the teardrop shape tends to gather a blob of product on the end, which you either need to wipe on the inner rim of the container or a kleenex. Both options are messy and wasteful.

I'm always confused when companies provide a very unremarkable freebie / gift. It's essentially a great opportunity for them to build brand loyalty killed by so-so products. I can think of several times in the past 10 years when a freebie product became one of my HG products: Fresh Lip Balms, Benefit Girl Meets Pearl, DiorShow Mascara . . .

On the plus side, the No 9 Rouge Artist lipstick that came with this mascara is definitely a keeper!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 11:44:00 AM More reviews by Pantherbits

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm surprised at all of the negative reviews on this one. The first time I used it I was pretty happy with it. It doesn't volumize, but it did make my lashes look really long and actually gave them a slight curl. I used it again the next day with the same results. I really do like this mascara and the tear drop shaped brush isn't difficult for me to manage. I got it as a birthday sample and once it runs out I am probably going to buy a full size tube of it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by fihe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this mascara for free as a birthday gift from Sephora. I would never purchase a mascara from Sephora because I do not see the use in spending so much money on a product with such a short shelf life, and because there are many good drugstore options available.

Unfortunately, this product is really not worth the price; in fact, I don't like using mine even though it was free! Although it is a nice dark black color and provides good length, it is difficult to use. The brush is a very strange shape, and product builds up on the tip and has to be thoroughly wiped off before applying the mascara, or else it will get a huge mass of mascara on my lashes. Combing out my lashes with a spoolie is an absolute must with this mascara. I only wear it when I am not wearing eyeshadow, because it smears all over my eyelids and has to be cleaned up with a cotton swab soaked in eye makeup remover. If only the brush were the same size throughout (whether straight or curved) and not teardrop-shaped, it would be much easier to apply.