Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara

3.2

on 3/3/2015 10:58:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about this product...I got this as part of my sephora birthday gift. I love the brush and what it does to my lashes. The brush does everything you could want, volume, length definition...it's a unique cone shape. BUT, there is a big catch...the formula of this product is very sticky. for me, it is just unbearable to have on my lashes. The ;ashes don't clump, but they feel so heavy on my eyes and if you accidentally rub your eyes, it will stick all over your face and hand. I wouldn't buy this product.

on 2/24/2015 10:27:00 AM

I got this mascara as a gift from Sephora. I'm pretty loyal to my waterproof Falsies Mascara so I was a lil hesitant to try this at first. One day, I just couldn't find my falsies mascara so I was like eh what the heck, why not? I curled my lashes like I usually would nd applied it. MY GOODNESS, IT WAS AWESOME! It went on super easily and the cone shape was actually pretty comfortable to work with and helped me get into the inner-corner lashes. The consistency was great, a little on the "wet" side, but that only helped it glide on easier IMO. I went over my lashes only twice and got super long and dark lashes! Which is what I love. I was worried that since it wasnt waterproof, that it wouldn't last or that it would weigh my lashes down like every other mascara I've tried that isn't waterproof. To my surprise, my lashes were still the same at the end of the day! In conclusion, this mascara held a curl, didn't weigh my lashes down, made my lashes darker and longer with just 2 coats, and it lasted all day. I'm in love with this mascara, I have no idea why I'm reading all these negative reviews. I guess it all depends on the person.

on 2/22/2015 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I got this as a birthday gift from Sephora. I love that it's super dark & super volumizing, but my main issue (and it seems many other's) with this mascara is the strange clumping. The wand is an odd shape, and you have to maneuver it quite a bit to get the desired effect. Won't be buying a full size, just because I know there are better mascaras out there.

on 2/20/2015 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is kind of a weird mascara for me. I got it in the sephora birthday package, and didn't open it for a few months because I had other mascara open. I did see it on friends and it looked awesome on them, so I was super excited to try it. I feel like it had a drier formula, which I prefer, but it means that trying it on at first is pretty much what you get, no dry out time will help. It lengthens ok, and holds a curl, but my issue is that it has really strange volume issues. I can see that it is on (but it doesn't look good really, it is just there) and it clumps very randomly, like it will be very sparse on some lashes and then a random huge clump will be next to the sparseness. Layering was practically impossible with this one too. I blame the brush. I think if I had a lot of time to carefully apply it it could work, but the brush is just too big for my small eyes and it is not worth it. Also, it is not as black as I prefer mascaras to be, it is more of a gray black. I will not attempt to buy this again, as it is expensive when purchased.

on 2/17/2015 5:35:00 AM

Dramatically black, dramatically voluminous, dramatically long lashes... and a wand so thick and conically shaped that's it's the reason for a dramatic gasp every time I stick my eye with it or get a big goop of mascara on my eyelid over my finished eyeshadow or eyeliner. This wears well all day but it's a mess applying it, and it's so pigmented that I feel compelled to repeat my eye makeup-removing twice to ensure there's no mascara residue sitting on my lash line. Luckily it comes off easily with makeup removing oil, despite not budging all day. But I wouldn't pay $24 for a mascara to cause all kinds of morning frustrations and do-overs because of that clumsy wand.

on 2/14/2015 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am not a fan of this mascara. For reference, I have pretty long, thick, black lashes and most mascaras look good on me so it's hard to find one that stands out. This mascara didn't stand out. I mean it gave average length, nice volume, and the separating and curl-holding was below average. The problem comes in the texture after it dries. It is so sticky! Once I was laying down and when I got up, my eyelashes were just in one big clump on the side I was laying. It feels highly uncomfortable and odd on the eyes because of the stickiness. Also, it smudges on me. My eyelashes hit my browbone, glasses, and cheekbone when I look up, down, or blink and it's even worse when I wear mascara because if I don't wear the right kind it tends to smudge. However, I have found mascaras in the drugstore that don't smudge so I expect this not to smudge, especially for the price. Another problem is that even though it smudges, it is impossible to get off. You have to scrub at your eyes and that is never fun. I don't recommend this, I think there are way better mascaras out there. I like the packaging, though.

on 2/12/2015 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

At first I was hesitant to buy this mascara because of the mixed reviews, but I went for it and I have to say I'm so impressed.

This being said, I think it depends what kind of lashes you have, mine are decently long and full so what this mascara did was really define and made them extra voluminous whilst adding length. the formula is neither too wet nor too dry which is great. I wasn't expecting it to look so great, but I can honestly say that I'm impressed. If I could post a picture of my eye lashes before and after I would.

Pros:
- definition ( very black, makes lashes stand out)
- volume ( lashes look dramatic
- length ( added length)
- long lasting (no smudging, no flaking)

Con:
- on the pricier side

All this being said, I think I would definitely repurchase this mascara, hoping it lasts more than 3 months.

on 2/5/2015 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

It just doesn't do it for me. :-/

The formula of this mascara is decent. not amazing. But I am NOT a fan of brushes that are SO extremely tapered. I wish the brush was full all the way around. This one stays in my purse as a backup to use when I don't carry my makeup bag. I wont be repurchasing this mascara.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

WHAT IS THIS JUNK I DON"T EVEN KNOW

I got this and regretted it the moment I put it on. I should have gotten a lipstick instead with my 100pts at Sephora.

What I look for in a mascara:
I like volume, separation, and my lashes being fanned out. If a mascara curls them or adds length I consider it a bonus, not a must in my mascaras.

This mascara doesn't do squat to my lashes. I applied it on clean lashes and it just sat there only darkening my lashes. I tried doing multiple coats but nothing came of it. No volume, length, curl, fanning out of my lashes, and no separation. CoverGirl Clump Crusher does more for me than this mascara did!

Also WTF is up with the wand? It's a pine cone! How am I supposed to do anything with the tip when there isn't anything there to help aid the application of mascara onto my lashes without clumping?

This whole thing is a mess.

on 1/30/2015 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Nothing curls my lashes like this mascara. Love the shape of the wand and the fact that it has a pointy end. Gives length, volume and curl. What more could a girl ask for?

Video Reviews & Tutorials