August 31, 2014 | 1034 users online

Loose Powders - NYX - Mineral Finishing Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by LJorg

I love NYX, and I've been looking for a decent finishing powder for years.

For me, this was not it. This did absolutely nothing for me, except melt away in about 2 hours and become a greasy, scaly mess. Even in the first half hour where I was only indoors, the mattifying effect was lost. I do have oily skin, and this was on a very hot and humid day, so maybe I expected too much of it.

PROS:
+No bad smell
+Great matte effect when first applied
+Went on smoothly and evenly
+The lighter color was an excellent match for me

CONS:
-Completely melted away after less than 2 hours
-Left skin greasy and oily, became "scaly" on my chin
-Had a small breakout on my chin and cheeks the next day
-Very expensive for what I got

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Sophiaweaverrr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this powder! It is amazing and also gives great coverage and a nice matte finish! Definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 3:08:00 PM More reviews by vintagexpurple

I've never had very much like with powder. Most powders melt off my face after three hours, and when I go to reapply, I somehow end up looking like a leopard, where my makeup sticks and where it doesn't. This is the first powder I've ever used where it doesn't do that. First of all, it lasts for a good four hours, which for someone like me (since I have EXTREMELY oily skin) is pretty darn good. When I reapply some more, it doesn't do the gross leopard thing. Instead, it completely mattifies my skin. I don't look cakey at all. In fact, I look like I had just applied my makeup for the first time that day. It's amazing. This powder gives such a beautiful finish to your makeup. I'm in deep, deep love with this stuff.

Now, to the negatives. First, there's very limited color selection - there's light/medium and medium/dark, and I believe there may be a translucent powder too. If you can't wear those two colors, you're out of luck. Another bad thing is that the powder is so finely milled that you have to tap off so much of it, to the point to where you can barely see any on the brush, because if you don't, it's going to fly all over the place. But if you can get past these two things, this is an amazing powder, and I highly recommended it. It's my new HG powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 12:23:00 PM More reviews by ashmccord88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros- Glides on easily. Great color that blends very easily into the skin. Light weight. No over powering scent.

Cons- A bit pricey but worth it. The packaging could be a little better.

Overall I would defiantly buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 11:21:00 AM More reviews by arielise24

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This setting powder is gorgeous. It has a beautiful matte finish and really helps my foundation last. It's smooth and gives a great airbrushed look.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2014 1:11:00 PM More reviews by mimochi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this powder. Being that it's silica-based, it's very smooth and soft on your face. It does not look cakey or powdery in a fake way at all. I have the light/medium shade and it doesn't change the color of my foundation. The only thing I wish for is better oil control, but I can use a better foundation for that underneath if I needed to.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I'll start by saying I have messed up skin (which I'll get into later). Everything I've tried has left me a cakey oil slick by the end of the day (even Rimmel Stay Matte). This is the only powder that has kept me some-what matte through out the day. I end up with a more natural look instead of looking like I just slathered oil on my face.

As for saying I have messed up skin. I mean I've tried everything for a foundation and it cakes. I have tried primers, foundations, moisturizers, different techniques, different waiting times between products, brushes/Stila sponge, and even setting sprays (UD Allnighter & De-slick- still oily as can be).

So I'm pretty impressed by this. It doesn't keep me completely matte but it's so soft and finely milled I like it for a setting powder. Lately I've just been using this and MAC Studio Fix concealer. They're the only products I can use on my face and not look like I just applied oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by kelly737

I love this powder, I use over my Elizabeth Arden flawless finish sponge on cream makeup. My skin looks flawless and radiant! I apply the powder with a big, fat powder brush, my face never looks over done or cakey, just naturally beautiful! $9.99 @ Ulta

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by LA89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this stuff!!!! I have combo skin and I have recently switched over to BB creams to replace my foundation routine and I needed something to make my face more matte. I ran across this product in a local beauty supply and for six dollars I figured why not try it. I am a light 28 in Clinique super balanced makeup and NW20 in Mac can be NW25 so I bought the Light/Medium color. After I cleanse, moisturize, and apply my bb cream I used this powder to set everything in place. My face feels sooo smooth and soft after, defiantly not oily. I have been using this product for about a month and so far I have not seen any dry looking patches on my face after using the powder. It looks clean, natural, and goes on beautifully. Makes my BB cream last longer when I am running around outside doing errands (I live in NY so it can be super hot and humid in the summer time). I will continue using this product as it did not break me out, clog my pores, and does not have a funky smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 5:34:00 AM More reviews by sceylon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My skin background: oily, sensitive, currently MAC30-35 for reference, yellow undertone.

This product IS my holy grail finishing powder! It comes in a twist off cap container with sifting holes. This product claims to soften the skin, absorb shine, gluten free, prolongs the wear of makeup, silica based - therefore fills fine lines, acts as an optical diffuser by reflecting light, thus softening the appearance of fine lines and pores. It comes with the claim, "Set It & Don't Fret It." There are only 2 shades available: Light/Medium, Medium/Dark.

This is a very matte finish loose setting powder! I find that this is the only powder that sets my foundation or BB cream the best for at least a good 6-9 hours, before I need a touch up on my shiny forehead! It provides a nice smooth, airbrushed finish, and looks amazing in photos and in real life. It is very finely milled and feels alot similar to the Make Up Forever HD translucent setting powder, but for me, provides a better finish. The color is a close enough match for me; It is a tad bit darker, however, I am sure it will match me perfectly as summer is just beginning!

The only con I have with this is that as it is a loose powder, the product tends to create a mound from being tossed around inside my makeup bag. I have to be very careful when opening it to prevent the product from blowing away. I wish it came with an open/close feature for the sifting holes (like baby powder) ha ha! I suppose it's more of an inconvenience than a con...

This product cost me about $9 (NYX has it listed as $10 on their website), so it is definitely more affordable than a higher end brand of setting powders. I'd say give it a try if you have oily skin and prefer a matte finish! I will definitely repurchase this over and over again!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No