September 2, 2014 | 962 users online

Fragrances - Tom Ford - Sahara Noir

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2014 11:25:00 AM More reviews by mishophelia

Got this as a sample from Sephora. It smells pretty awful on me, like tooth decay. It has a very woodsy scent. The woodsy scent is so strong that too much can make it smell unpleasant. Perfume smells different on every person.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Addicting and exquisite.

The perfect blend of smoke, wood, incense, and depth. The smell of smoking resin is unmistakable.

Exotic and heady. Cannot get enough of this one.

If you like roses and all things floral, take a pass. Tom Ford, Inc. describes this as an "ode to frankincense," and if you've ever burned real frankincense resin (on rough charcoal pellets), you'll immediately recognize that this is indeed an ode to one of the most precious resins in human history, with some added notes and nuances rounding out the fragrance. I heartily recommend the following review, which captures the fragrance beautifully:

Other notes include: "frankincense, cistus essence, bitter orange, Jordanian calamus (an oasis sweet grass), cypress, cinnamon, papyrus extract, jasmine, beeswax absolute, amber, ambreinol, benzoin, vanilla, cedar, agarwood, and balsam." (courtesy the above link)

Not for the shy, or those reluctant a bold statement. You must love rich smoke and incense to loose yourself to this one.

Unisex, bold, evocative --- and unmistakable in composition. (Comparison's to 'Black Cashmere' are common: I find it much bolder, smokier, deeper, and richer. But everyone's nose differs.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by pxcrunnercat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just wanted to say that this fragrance reminds me very much of DK Black Cashmere. Dry, woody incense. Since Black Cashmere is getting hard to find, I would recommend Sahara Noir to anyone who is looking for a replacement or a similar scent. For those who like their perfumes spicy, this fragrance is heavenly. Very warm and inviting in cold weather, too potent for me to even consider wearing in hot weather. It's unfortunate that it's so expensive, but to me, it's worth the money.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2013 1:35:00 PM More reviews by lmande

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow - this stuff is intense. First off, I think this is a man's cologne all the way. Nothing unisex about it. So for me to wear it, it's out of the question. That said, even on a man it would have to be the smallest amount possible worn to not completely take over his surrounding public. It's probably best after a few hours rather than first applied.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2013 4:17:00 PM More reviews by Beauty4Ashes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sahara Noir is the perfect name for this fragrance. It's very dry, powerful, incense. It's pretty much Frankincense, tobacco and maybe a little wine or cognac. This fragrance makes a statement. It truly stands out from typical department store scents. It reminds me of the smell of an ancient, historic church. Very calming and comforting, I can see this appealing to those who want to steer clear of florals. The potency and lasting power is amazing. In fact, it's so potent I'd prefer it come in a dab bottle instead of a sprayer. It should be applied very, very sparingly. Honestly, I'd prefer it on a man, but I understand that some women may be drawn to it. Quite simply, it's not my cup of tea but it's beautiful for what it is. It's smoky and sultry, not sexy like Black Orchid, but stunning none the less. It's very Tom Ford- classy, sultry, statement-making.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2013 1:11:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

On my skin, Sahara Noir first and foremost is incense. Very pronounced frankincense, like someone just opened a church door during mass. Strong and yet comforting, the resinous-spicy-ambery scent is warm and I luckily do not get the sour patchouli note that the previous reviewer described. I can detect some bergamot and mandarin in the opening and some peppery tobacco, dry patchouli and oak moss as the scent warms up on my skin. Sillage and lasting power are very good, as in most Tom Ford creations. While this is definitely a unisex fragrance to be worn by both men and women, I don't think it is overly masculine. To me, it is a confident, dry, strong scent, and it is quite unique at that. I think Sahara Noir will be best suited for cooler temperatures so I am looking forward to wearing it in fall.
Packaging: Gold color plated textured glass flacon, similar in shape to the original Tom Ford Black Orchid, White Patchouli etc.
Retails for (a steep!) $150 for 1.7 oz/50 ml, it comes in that one size only.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

I wish the first review was written by someone who had a more positive experience with Sahara Noir. On my skin, it unfortunately smells very much like a particular Serge Lutens that has gone wrong on my skin - Muscs Koublai Khan. It's dry and spicy with lots of sour patch (like that of Gucci) and an animalic accord that I associate with dirty sweat. However, this is probably a bias/perception or a chemistry issue because I know that some stuff that stinks on me is absolutaley tremendous on others. I like Tom Ford's fragrances in general and regularly wear White Patchouli but I don't think Sahara Noir is an original or unique interpretation of the dessert. Somehow, I expected something more different from Tom Ford. I hope other MUAers enjoy it more than I did.

Very good sillage and tenacious lasting power.