August 23, 2014 | 1049 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I found this similiar to the sunscreen in the:' PC4MEN' line. The only differences between the two being was that this is slightly more moisturizing and does not have a distinct smell of aloe. This does not flake and may be good to use in the winter when skin becomes drier. I wouldn't recommend this for severely dry skin though.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Magapurna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I like the consistency of this moisturizer and the fact that it sinks in completely and looks fairly matte. BUT it burns/stings like crazy and makes my face go red! I don't know why - I haven't had this problem with any other of the PC products. So unfortunately I can't use it on my face :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 8:22:00 AM More reviews by emily0212

I know Paula says Rosaceans should not use chemical sunscreens but I hate all of her physical sunscreens. They contain too much titanium dioxide and make me break out in big pustules all over my cheeks. So I decided to give a sample packet of this a try. It burns. My chin and eyelids are burning. It also pills up all over the place. I decided to make it a no makeup day after seeing how it balled up all over my face. I love Paula's moisturizers, AHA and BHA but her sunscreens suck.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/29/2014 6:04:00 AM More reviews by missericacourt

I tried a few samples in this moisturizer. When I started using it, my initial thoughts were that I didn't like it. I found the product pretty runny, and it was super white and streaky on my face. As it dried the whiteness/streaks disappeared, and it left my skin pretty matte.

On the first day, my skin felt pretty tight throughout the whole day. It was a bit too dry and flaky. On the second day I only used half a sample and it was much better. Either my skin just needed some time to adjust or having less product drying/setting works better.

The product is okay, but I found that when I put liquid makeup on it becomes flakely. I'm now trying the RESIST and the Hydralight samples.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by hpunkinway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This Skin-balancing SPF is just like applying water to your face! It is probably my favorite SPF moisturizer by Paula Begoun. While it does not seem to absorb facial oils during the day as her other comparable products, I have to say that this is the one I LOVE to put on may face in the morning. It feels like absolutely nothing!!

Hydralight is good too, but a bit thicker.

Resist Super-light Daily wrinkle defense is like applying a thick foundation.

This is the one for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Tindra78

My skin: hormonal acne, enlarged pores, melasma, acne scars.

I need a really light daily sunscreen for my hyperpigmentation, and received a few samples of this.

Pros:

- This is feathery light, a watery fluid, that really is thin!

- disappears quickly into the skin.

- quite "high" spf compared to many daily moisturizers made for everyday use.

- reliable brand

- overcoming price

- chemical. Yes, this is sometimes a pro for me, cause I've noticed that I avoid using mineral sunscreens that most usually enlarge pores and accentuate imperfections ( even if I still use my Elta Md clear, I've discovered that I want to mix it with an ordinary mattifying moisturizer, to take away the "mineral sheen", even if Elta Md really does not have too much of it.) If you really have damaged skin, the mineral makeups or sunscreens can look horrible on you.... And then, instead of avoiding them, and not using anything at all, it's better with a chemical one for daily use.....

Cons:

- shiny. Actually this gives a little shine to a newly washed face... You can powder, but I'd prefer it fighting at least a little against my usually oily look.... But I guess it doesn't contain too much silicones, which can also be good if you're sensitive to them.

- does it break you out after long time use?

Edit: ended up NOT using this anyway. When I avoid using something whiteout being completely aware of it, I usually realize that I don't like it. Today I put this on, and when I saw the "sweaty" sheen I washed it away.... So no.... Down to 2 stars.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by HWL

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

It's not perfect, but it's been reformulated and there is no grit. They made the beads smaller and you can't find them. It goes on like a very thin lotion and dries almost instantly. Hard to tell where you put it on. It does have shine. I got it because the Moisture Boost SPF, which I love, is sometimes too heavy and I often breakout. So then I use this. Minerals tend to break me out. If you have dry areas, this doesn't really hydrate. Raw areas can sting for bit, but I had no redness or real irritation from it. I just don't love using it. As with many oil free or matte moisturizers (w or w/o spf) they can look and feel a bit like a glaze - shiny and not hydrating. But it doesn't dry me out, is light, doesn't break me out and is fragrance fee. It isn't a bad primer under mu, but I am not oily.

Update: Got the full size and drips out of tube, so don't squeeze much or leave uncapped even while applying. It doesn't look bad under mu. Sill haven't found a HG. This is acceptable. I can sting some days if I am irritated, but not long.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by nikki2212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin is sensitive, blemish prone, has rosacea, is very fair and prone to burning, with an oily/dry combination skin.

Pro's:
-The texture is matte.
-Just enough moisture for an oily, oily/dry combo skin (with moisture adding toner to help dry areas).
-Makeup works well over the top with no balling up or anything.
-The spf 30 is a big plus as most moisturizers are only spf 15.
-Fragrance/ colour/ irritant free, which is rare to find.
-Contains antioxidants.
-White cast disappears quickly.
-Chemical sunscreen, which I prefer.
-Did not cause blemishes.

Con's:
-I have a sheeny face when I use the skin balancing spf 30 (I wish I could have the Hydralight matte formula but with chemical sunscreen).
-The silica only dissipates sometimes, and rubbing the product between your hands to break the silica won't work as you will just absorb the product into your hands before it reaches your face. In comparison, the hydralight formula is powdery feeling, but the silica in this is actually hard feeling. If you don't wear makeup, or wish to use this spf on your body and hands too, it will feel unpleasant to the touch.
-This line is marketed to combination skin but I find it is less moisturizing than the hydralight range, so people could regret buying this if they don't have oily skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2013 10:01:00 AM More reviews by SkinSense78

UPDATE & EDIT: After some months of using this with absolutely no problem (and all the comments below apply) this sunscreen started to really burn when I applied it. My skin became wildly irritated, resulting in the need to wash my face immediately. I tried this several times and the burning resulted each and every time. If your skin isn't irritated then this is a wonderful product, but if it does, then it is awful.

While it does have its drawbacks, I think its benefits are far more impressive.

I have combination skin with rosacea and occasional acne. This is a sheer, very lightweight moisturizer with SPF 30 that dries to a clear, matte finish, as if you have nothing on your skin. For my skin, there is nothing better. Light, enough moisture, and no white cast.

Now, the drawbacks, because there are some. The amount of silica in the product (which is very effective in keeping shine at bay) does have a gritty texture at first. You really do have to rub it between your fingers to burst the silica before patting it onto your face and smoothing it in. And I have experienced a bit of irritation near my eyes for a minute or two a few times due to the sunscreen actives, though most of the time there is no irritation at all. It is a very liquid formula so the packaging leaves a lot to be desired, it really should be in a pump bottle like the old packaging.

Having said all of this, if you are someone who hates wearing sunscreen, hates how it usually looks and usually feels, this product is absolutely worth a try because it is radically different in terms of texture and finish. It is invisible, light, and provides enough moisture for combination or oily skin. The antioxidants and skin identical ingredients are plentiful and the SPF is reliable, no burns, tans or freckles with this one.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2013 9:50:00 PM More reviews by steelcitygal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok first off, I love PC products, but this formula is just awful. The "gritty" silica in this is an absolute nightmare to work with. Customer Service recommends rubbing the formula between your fingers to "burst" the silica beads. Quite frankly, I've rubbed vigorously and NOTHING takes away the gritty feeling. I literally dread putting this on because application is extremely scratchy and unpleasant overall. To top that off, this actually irritates my skin, which is not sensitive! Reapplication is even worse, everything balls up in a very disgusting way. If I rub this formula in, it balls up so much that I can literally see chunks sitting on my skin. I exfoliate often so I know it's the formula and not dead skin. In terms of application, the best method for me is to gently pat it on.

Some people find this to dry matte, that is NOT the case for me. This leaves a plasticy looking residue all over my dry/oily combo skin. To be fair, that does diminish some after about an hour, but I definitely would not describe this as "matte" at least not on my skin. I will say however, this has not caused any acne, which is the one and only bonus thus far.

The last thing I'd like to comment on is the packaging which is absolutely WRONG for this LIQUID formula. They have it in the same squeeze tube they use for their much thicker creams, which causes waste of product if you're not very careful. I find that ultra annoying since this is not a cheap sunscreen.

100% disappointed in this product. Will not repurchase and I do not recommend it, however it *may* work for you. Buy SAMPLES first.