October 1, 2014 | 1094 users online

Hair Color - Goldwell - Return

rated 3.0(1 review)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2013 9:43:00 AM More reviews by moth

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the product that Goldwell makes for correcting their Elumen hair color. I am unclear as to whether or not this product is supposed to completely remove the Elumen product from the hair, so I am giving it 3 stars. Having colored my ~80% grey (really, white) virgin hair with RR@All and deciding I wanted to change to KK@all, I purchased a bottle of Return from Amazon. One bottle made three applications for my shoulder-length hair. After each application, I wrapped my hair in plastic and processed with heat for 20 minutes the first time and 30 minutes the remaining two times. My hair faded from dark red to very dark pink, so that maybe 60% of the color was removed. The only active ingredient in this product appears to be denatured alcohol and benzyl glycol, which is an ethanol-based solvent (really, it reads like hand sanitizer). I have noticed that if I use any styling products containing alcohol, there will be more color than usual in the tub the next time I wash my hair. To test my hypothesis that alcohol leeches Elumen color from hair, I applied both ethanol and isopropyl alcohol to separate strands and some color (not a lot) did release from the hair. My guess is that the other ingredients retard the evaporation of the alcohol and allow for a longer processing time. Return leaves the hair reasonably soft and conditioned, but you will want to do a deep treatment or a liberal application of jojoba oil after this process. The bottom line, don't expect this to completely remove all of the Elumen hair color or you will be disappointed.