Essie Naughty Nautical

4.3

on 8/14/2015 10:29:00 PM

Stunning, slight shimmer colour of the sea, for me the perfect turquoise shade. I have no issues whatsoever with the formula nor application. I bought this in 2015 from Priceline in Australia. Essie is pricey here, I think I paid around $16 for this but I use it often enough to justify the price. Looking at older reviews, I think the formula's changed, I find it easy to use.

I wear this over a good base of Essie Millionails as base coat, apply 2-3 coats of colour and then put a topcoat over it (either MAC Overlacquer which is quite shiny and dries quickly, or the Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy Diamond Shine topcoat, both which leave my nails looking like I'm wearing a gel mani.)

This polish is self-levelling and opaque with 2nd coat. I finish the lot with OPI Drip Dry drops or the OPI Rapid Dry spray and I'm good to go in a few minutes. Because it levels so well it looks super smooth and shiny with tc. The subtle shimmer sparkles in sun but it's not at all glittery or chunky.

I get good wear from this, some minor edge wear after a few days and small chips after about 5 days. I wrap my nail edges with both base and topcoat and really knock my nails around, so if I was being gentle I'd expect even better wear time. Can add tc to refresh after few days but definitely doesn't look dull. I like Essie's clear glass bottles, they store well and easy to identify by colour & also have name written in that colour on the round sticker on top of the lid.

To change this up a bit, or for an accent nail, a thin coat of Ulta3's $2 bargain, the seriously underrated "XOXO" gives a fine shimmer with a hint of gold and some micro holo. For something more obvious, a single coat of Sally Hansen Snow Globe holo/flake/glitter absolutely sparkles.
This Essie polish is one of my favourite polishes in my stash, love it.

on 7/15/2015 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a beautiful bluey-greeny teal coloured nail polish. It is highly pigmented so you could get away with one thick-ish coat. However I applied two and it was nicely opaque. It was very shiny but I added a top coat for longevity. This is a perfect pedicure colour for the summer months.

on 8/4/2014 5:54:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Naughty Nautical was my first Essie polish! It's a saturated, green-leaning teal creme with visible (but not gritty!) micro silver glass flecking throughout. Application was two-three easy coats to opacity, and dry time was standard. The colour is gorgeous, with added aquatic depth thanks to the glass flecking. Naughty Nautical is one of my go-to pedicure colours for summer (along with Zoya Charla/OPI Catch Me in Your Net type blue-green shimmers), but I love it on fingers, too. It's a summer colour, but it can be made wintry with the right glitter accents, thanks to that silver glass flecking. Naughty Nautical is a stainer, but so are most colours in this family. A double base coat will mitigate staining issues.

One thing I've noticed about this polish, which another reviewer picked up on: the pigment is fond of separating. There's a dark green ring of pigment around the middle of my bottle that is hard to mix back into the rest of the polish, even with rolling. It hasn't affected the product's application quality or colour payoff, but it does look unattractive (especially on bottles in store displays, which is a shame, because it makes this lovely colour seem very unappealing!), and I do worry that it will affect the polish in the long run.

on 5/24/2014 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This color is a teal (almost green at times) with a little glitter/shine to it. Not overwhelming though. I get compliments on it and it applies pretty smoothly. Takes 2 coats and dries pretty fast. A definite summer must have.

on 4/4/2014 1:53:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Gorgeous bright turquoise polish with shimmer. It was opaque in two coats, dry time was fast, and wear time is comparable to my other Essies--it lasted about a week without chipping (using my Revlon Colorstay gel-smooth base coat).
I love the design of Essie bottles because they fit nicely in my square plastic boxes I use for storage. I also really like the smaller brush for more precise application; I don't feel like I flood my cuticles or get as much polish on the side of my nails as I do with a larger brush.
Winner all the way!

on 12/3/2013 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I cannot say enough good things about this polish! I love the color. It has little bits of shimmer that are occasionally noticeable that really give it that extra oomph. It is opaque really after two coats, but I like doing a third anyway. This color seems to last a week or more on my nails with various topcoats and basecoats paired with it. This is my favorite essie nailpolish I currently own. I will repurchase when I run out!

This color is probably one of my favorites. What I love most about it is how opaque it is. Most Essie colors need like 5 coats but this creamy diamond only needs 2 coats. The shimmer a nice touch to the actual color. This color like most Essie nail polishes can be pricey, I got mine at a beauty supply store and paid $6 for it but it is sold at drugstores for a little over $8. Unlike some Essie color this is well worth $8. The only issue I had with this color is it stains your nails if you do not use a base coat.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Naughty Nautical caught my attention because I lemming after everything and all things that fall into the color category of "blue-green". Naughty Nautical is a saturated teal with a smidge of silver microglitter mixed in, perfect for summer or for anyone like myself who is obsessed with blue-greens. I found that NN applies nicely and lasts for a while, but upon removal it stained my nails an algae green color that didn't want to come off with even with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda scrubs. I've also noticed that this polish has started separating already, despite only being a month and a half in my possession. I love the color and how it wears, but I wish it didn't stain and I'm hoping that the formula doesn't deteriorate quickly as the color continues to separate.

on 8/17/2013 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This is beautiful color, looks really nice on toes (for summer).
But let me tell you, this picture posted is horrible.

on 8/11/2013 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

One of my favourite Essie polishes (and possibly out of my whole collection, not just Essie)! I absolutely love the colour and it's durability. I find Essie cremes generally last on my nails a lot longer than OPI does, and their colours are more vibrant and fun as well. :)

It's an awesome teal with a hint of sparkle!

Top Rated Essie Products