September 16, 2014 | 1817 users online

Pressed Powders - Hourglass - Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by korean

a nice setting powder. paraben free. fragrance free. pale yellow undertone. super duper fine "shimmer" that blurs into a diffused light, just like the name says. you get a lot of product in the plastic square compact. All in all I like it and use it for setting my under eye concealer and also as a wash for eyelids. However it does not mattify like other setting powders and although it is translucent the diffused light brightens which leaves my face lighter than my neck, which for me is pro for highlighting but a con for all over the face dusting.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by mdpereztch

I am 54 and have been on the quest for foundation and powder for my slightly dry and slight rosacea face with some pore enlargement. I have been at this one year now and finally found foundation (Armani Designer Lift Smoothing) that does not settle in my pores or wrinkles. Problem now was finding a setting powder that did not look caked or accentuate my wrinkles. I was using LM translucent setting powder but, it was accentuating my lines. Powder should not defeat the purpose of a lifting, glowy, moisturizing foundation.I wanted dewy finish but ,lasting all day power. Therefore, needed new setting powder. Tried Meteorites and no lasting power. I read about Hourglass Ambient powders and was surprised about the overwhelming positive reviews despite the price tag. Finally got to try the colors of Hourglass Ambient powders at Sephora, and settled on Diffused light for my complexion (light skinned latina with yellow undertones and red cheeks). It was amazing how well it blurred large pores and the redness is gone. Lasts all day without anymore than a light touch up over my nose at lunch. It really gives you beautiful skin without settling into lines with a nice glow. Controls a little oil over the nose without clinging to dry patches. I finally found a foundation setting powder combination that works for me. Really need to give this a try if you are on the fence.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 1:17:00 AM More reviews by cwabby

For reference i'm NC42 skintone. I was worried that this would be too light for me. But it works beautifully on my skin. I use it as an all over powder. The yellowness of the powder really helps because my skin is super yellow toned and I didn't want a white cast.

This gives me a really soft blurred all over look. I also own Radiant light and this powder is much less glowy. It lives up to it's name - diffused light. It's looks like the light you'd get if you just woke up and were under the blankets with sun coming through. It's truly a diffused light. Love these powders to bits.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

There must be a record amount of these ambient powders sold from the YouTube hype alone - which by the way I was not going to buy into. Then I succumbed in a late night online shopping frenzy and bought one....ok I lie I bought three... and I don't regret it.

These powders are great. Diffused is my most used ambient powder as on my NC15 skin I can use this as a setting/finishing powder all over. This lightly yellow toned powder leaves me looking fresh and smooth skinned. It's not shimmery and sparkly but leaves a more healthy glow. It goes beautifully over so many liquid foundations I have tried it with.

I love that its not "powdery" and very easy to buff into the skin. My favourite ways to apply this powder are with a small fluffy brush, a larger fan brush or buffed in with a bigger flat top brush. It does need touching up on my normal/combo skin later in the day as I get a bit shiny in the T-zone, I like that this can be blotted and reapplied easily without that chalky more powder look going on.

If you are new to these and on the fence which one to go for I have the following comparisons:
Diffused Light - Can be used as setting/finishing powder - not sparkly more of a glow.

Ethereal Light - Lighter than Diffused, looks white but is more a light cream, great as a setting powder for NC15 - doesn't have as much of a glow as Diffused.

Luminous Light - Has a definite sparkle, better used as a highlight product, is a shade or more darker than Diffused, have tried this all over and was too dark on my NC15 skin and very shimmery/sparkly/un-natural looking.

I'm in NZ and found the cheapest place to buy this was Mecca Australia (especially if you are buying more than one item) - even with the shipping. .This place may be the best bet for Aussie girls too.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2014 6:55:00 AM More reviews by Asianlily

I have been looking for a product to blur out my dark circles and I found what I was looking for in Diffused Light. With a little eye brightener concealer and this powder to set, by dark circles vanished. My eyes look bright and awake. Love this stuff, definitely won't leave the house without this on!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried other finishing powders, which is really what these are, and had always been "meh" about them. This stuff however is in my "use every day" drawer. I picked this one based on the description that it "reduces redness, eliminates shine, and gives skin clarity." I have uneven skin so that sounded appealing to me, and this is one product I didn't actually test in Sephora because I knew I'd need to play with it and figured I'd just take it back if I didn't like it (they have a GREAT return policy). I also bought the ambient lighting brush, which is a meh product, it's so soft and feels wonderful but I don't get any different results with my $6 ELF Kabuki brush when I play with application techniques.

To use I usually do use the brush just because I paid for it, and I will swirl it in the pan (the powder is very soft, one swirl is usually enough and then i can just brush it over the loose bits if I need more) and brush it lightly all over my face. Then my 2nd pace I do the areas that I've highlighed with Touche Eclat- top of cheekbones, brow bones, etc- and it looks like I have nothing on. I think a lot of bad reviews stem from this. The thing is, my skin looks beautiful and radiant, especially nice if foundation leaves you with a matte look. People won't think you are wearing makeup with this product but they will tell you your skin looks amazing. Worth every penny. I want it in more shades now to play with.

As for the staying power, earlier I was crying and dabbing my cheeks with a tissue. I had Dermablend Cover Cream, then Ambient Lighting Blush in Dim Infusion, and then this powder over the top. There was no makeup on my tissue. Not even the blush. This is a great finishing powder.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by sarah_417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was fully prepared to hate this, and honestly hoped I would. The price on this is so high for what it is! But I absolutely love it.

I am not sure I buy into the hype about it making your skin "glow" but I do think it works well for certain things.

I have fair, cool toned skin. (NW10-15) My biggest issues are redness and dry skin. This powder has worked better for me than anything I have ever tried. The slight yellow tone neutralizes the redness in my skin very nicely. It neutralizes the pink without looking unnatural or giving me a yellow tint. It is very subtle, but I see an immediate difference after I apply it.

It is not drying. A lot of finishing powders tend to dry out my already dry skin. I think if you have oily skin or need oil control, you might need to layer this with a different powder.

I watched a youtube review, and they had said to apply it in downward strokes. This has worked very well for me, and is how I apply it.

The packaging should be better, especially at this price point. It is sort of clumsy to open.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by whenuwakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried Dim, Diffused and Luminous.
Dim is better at blurring the pores than Diffused but I think it's because the powder is much darker than Diffused. I bought Diffused instead of Dim because Dim is super red, even as a finishing powder. My skin colouring is NW25~30.

Diffused gives me a soft glow to my skin that does not look greasy and does not accentuate fine lines or pores.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 3:51:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

A beautiful pale eggshell, finely milled powder. When I first bought this I worried I wouldn't "love" it. Since I am already sallow, with no excess redness, I was unsure of my need for a more yellow based powder product. I personally do not use this all over, as some may. I think this would be AWESOME all over for someone with a more pink skin tone...or someone who carries redness in their skin. This would definitely counteract any of those issues. I use Dim Light all over personally to warm up my yellow skin. Now, you're probably wondering why I rated it so high? Well I LOVE this under my eyes to "set" my concealer. I HATE that super light concealer look that some may love....but I do want some brightness under my eyes...and this gives it to me! Also, this is a great natural cheek highlighter on me, I doesn't make you look greasy or glittery...just makes you look like you're standing under the most flattering light everywhere you go, especially in photographs! I think those who are really pale would even love this just to throw on and hid any small skin imperfections for everyday. I even think darker skin tones would love this the way I use it, to highlight, though it would be more stark on them. Great product with a variety of uses. One of my favorite purchases of 2013 for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 12:00:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

Of all the ambient powders, diffused light is hands down my favorite. It is so finely milled and gives such a subtle refinement to the face, I feel it helps make my complexion brighter and more even. I use it after applying all my make up almost in the same areas I would apply a highlighter (which I seldom use because of my age) - just thing these are wonderful powders but I do admit they are extremely costly. Fortunately I expect mine to last quite awhile.