April 18, 2014 | 1865 users online

Pressed Powders - Hourglass - Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by sarah_417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was fully prepared to hate this, and honestly hoped I would. The price on this is so high for what it is! But I absolutely love it.

I am not sure I buy into the hype about it making your skin "glow" but I do think it works well for certain things.

I have fair, cool toned skin. (NW10-15) My biggest issues are redness and dry skin. This powder has worked better for me than anything I have ever tried. The slight yellow tone neutralizes the redness in my skin very nicely. It neutralizes the pink without looking unnatural or giving me a yellow tint. It is very subtle, but I see an immediate difference after I apply it.

It is not drying. A lot of finishing powders tend to dry out my already dry skin. I think if you have oily skin or need oil control, you might need to layer this with a different powder.

I watched a youtube review, and they had said to apply it in downward strokes. This has worked very well for me, and is how I apply it.

The packaging should be better, especially at this price point. It is sort of clumsy to open.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by whenuwakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried Dim, Diffused and Luminous.
Dim is better at blurring the pores than Diffused but I think it's because the powder is much darker than Diffused. I bought Diffused instead of Dim because Dim is super red, even as a finishing powder. My skin colouring is NW25~30.

Diffused gives me a soft glow to my skin that does not look greasy and does not accentuate fine lines or pores.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 3:51:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

A beautiful pale eggshell, finely milled powder. When I first bought this I worried I wouldn't "love" it. Since I am already sallow, with no excess redness, I was unsure of my need for a more yellow based powder product. I personally do not use this all over, as some may. I think this would be AWESOME all over for someone with a more pink skin tone...or someone who carries redness in their skin. This would definitely counteract any of those issues. I use Dim Light all over personally to warm up my yellow skin. Now, you're probably wondering why I rated it so high? Well I LOVE this under my eyes to "set" my concealer. I HATE that super light concealer look that some may love....but I do want some brightness under my eyes...and this gives it to me! Also, this is a great natural cheek highlighter on me, I doesn't make you look greasy or glittery...just makes you look like you're standing under the most flattering light everywhere you go, especially in photographs! I think those who are really pale would even love this just to throw on and hid any small skin imperfections for everyday. I even think darker skin tones would love this the way I use it, to highlight, though it would be more stark on them. Great product with a variety of uses. One of my favorite purchases of 2013 for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 12:00:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

Of all the ambient powders, diffused light is hands down my favorite. It is so finely milled and gives such a subtle refinement to the face, I feel it helps make my complexion brighter and more even. I use it after applying all my make up almost in the same areas I would apply a highlighter (which I seldom use because of my age) - just thing these are wonderful powders but I do admit they are extremely costly. Fortunately I expect mine to last quite awhile.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 8:16:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was stuck between this and Dim Light. I did a ton of research before I purchased this to hopefully ensure my happiness with this product. I for once actually wanted something more subtle, but yet looked like I did something to my skin. For me I'm fair NW15 about now with some redness and no acne, so my skin is in pretty good shape ATM. I liked how this said it would give the skin "clarity" minimize redness, and control shine while giving you a sunlit type glow. So it sounded pretty good to me so I pulled the trigger. Well, I must say this actually works very well! I use this as my final step in my makeup and it truly makes my skin look better. It gives it a glow that no other finishing powder has done for me.

I apply this with my MAC 187 and so far that has been excellent in enabling me to really buff it in, which is key I find. I use a very light foundation like Mufe F&B or a BB Cream only using one layer. I then do my eye mu and blush. I haven't been using setting powder as of late because my skin has been on the dry side so I use the Diffused Light to finish and gah it just makes my skin look so much better! My friend even said you look so pretty and it was only this and minimal MU. So, I can really say in my case this does give my skin more clarity and a very nice subtle glow.

There is no shimmer in this when you swatch it, it just looks like a yellowish pearl on your finger. On the face though if you buff it in it just makes your skin look fantastic in any light. I especially enjoyed that I didn't look hideous in fluorescent lighting.:) It comes in a nice sleek compact with a good size mirror. You also get 10 grams of product. I find if you use a brush that buffs the product in it doesn't kick up any powder at all for me. Is it worth the hype? I have to say yes, because it has done something to my skin that no finishing powder has ever done. It will make the light reflect off your face differently therefore giving you a softer look.

It does neutralize shine but it does not control oil or anything. I find as the day goes on and this melts into my skin the better my skin looked. My eyes looked brighter and stood out more and my light redness around my nose and chin was not noticeable. It just looked like smooth clarified skin. I tried it on my friend and it made her freckles look more soft focused. She couldn't believe how this did that. Imo it does what it says so I'm stoked! I would repurchase and want Dim Light next. I'm really enjoying this and for the Spring/Summer it's going to be excellent to have for going out. I personally will not buy the brush my 187 works fine, but I'd be a liar to say I'm not thinking about it;)
Amazing finishing powder I'm so happy to have it in my arsenal. Recommended!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 12:12:00 AM More reviews by RandomFuture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This powder is amazing. I use this as a finishing powder and it makes it look like i've been airbrushed. It seems somewhat sparkly in the pan but when used correctly gives a nice natural look. I only use a tiny amount each time and i've had it for about 4 months and it barely looks like i've made a dint in it. I have pale skin so this shade seemed to suit me best. I will repurchase when I run out and recommend this to my friends.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/6/2014 4:35:00 AM More reviews by lxvxo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This powder really does give you an inexplicable glow. I used it everyday on top of my mineral powder foundation and it somehow made my face look more radiant.

However, two weeks later red blistery cysts appeared all over my cheeks, where I do not usually break out. It has been a month and they are only just coming to a head/ going away. It was the only new product I had added to my makeup/skincare routine and sadly I was too excited about how pretty it was and did not realise that it contained Bismuth Oxychloride :(

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2014 4:13:00 AM More reviews by Winterwise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

These powders really did barrel onto the scene in a speeding hype-train, prompting many reviewers to reflexively snub them out of sheer irritation. And I totally get that contrarian urge to hate on stuff that marketers tell you to like, but real talk here? This stuff is great.

Diffused Light is a scentless, pale, eggnog shade with a stirring of pearl in it for the barest hint of a gleam when applied to the face. The soft yellow is meant to balance out redness, but the application is too sheer to do all of the work if that's the effect you're wanting. Better to use another product for that. However, if you just want to nudge a pink toned complexion a step toward neutral, this will do so nicely. It doesn't mattify your complexion at all. Instead, it buffs it to a subtle sheen, nearly tracelessly, imparting the polished look of clean, luminous skin. I've been wearing it in place of foundation over my daily sunscreen, and find that it gives me all the polish I want, though it does fade a bit after five hours on my skin.

Although this is nominally a highlighting powder, this particular shade is better suited as an allover finishing powder, at least on lighter skintones, and as such, I wouldn't recommend buying the special brush they've made for it, which is better suited for targeted applications.

As fantastic as this finishing powder is, I can't really give it 5 lipsticks. The packaging isn't luxurious enough for the price point, and for fifty bucks, I expect something more refined than a lightweight plastic compact. Still, I would buy it again, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a subtle, flattering finishing powder.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first heard about these ambient lighting powders I figured it was one of those things that was overhyped and wouldn't be worth the steep price tag. HOWEVER, Diffused is now in my top ten favorite makeup products. I use it lightly all over my face after I use an actual setting powder (I'm oily). This honestly just makes me face look more luminous and less drab. I don't know what it is exactly and you don't NEED it, but if you're looking to splurge on something for a nice occasion then I'd definitely go for it. It's kind of a lit from within look, is that the phrase? You can see tiny shimmer but it's not like Edward Cullen and super obvious or anything, it's actually really subtle. This is a good shade for my pale skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2014 12:24:00 PM More reviews by SepiaRose

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have these ambient powders in 3 shades, Diffused, Radiant, and Luminous and Diffused is my least favorite of the bunch. I am a C6 for reference and even tho the yellow undertones complimented my complexion and balanced out the redness of a few acne issues I was having, it is very easy for it to leave a pale cast if you don't use an extremely light hand. It really does blur out imperfections and gives you a nice soft muted diffused kind of subtle glow to the skin but on me it worked better as a highlight rather than an all over illuminating powder. If you fall into the medium to dark range, Luminous is more versatile and would probably work better on a much wider range of skin tones and Radiant gives an even warmer darker glow.