September 21, 2014 | 1007 users online

Pressed Powders - Chantecaille - HD Perfecting Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by jchoi128

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Alright ladies. I saw the terrible review and rating on MUA and I thought I should write my experience with this very expensive pressed powder.

I'm Asian, 25 years old and saw this being used by a Korean celebrity makeup artist on television. This celebrity makeup artist is responsible for the makeup of very popular girl groups in Korea like SNSD and Kara. (If you're not familiar with them, google their image. This should give you an idea of what kind of effect this powder achieves). The powder used for these girls' makeup was specifically CHANTECAILLE HD PERFECTING POWDER.

Anyways, since I already loved Chantecaille skincare products I decided to give it a GO for this powder. I have only used one powder for the past 3 years - Chanel Poudre Universelle LIbre. I love the super natural finish of the Chanel powder but it's so big and not very convenient when it comes to portability.

About the product -
Chantecaille HD Perfecting Powder:
1. This is an almost white but very slightly pinkish, very fine-milled powder. Very fine milled and delicate that when you dip your brush, it leaves scratch marks on the compact. VERY DELICATE. (Delicate so I can't imagine dropping this on the floor - EVER).

After first application, my conclusions:
1. Because this is an almost white powder, it is best suited for fain skintones. I cannot imagine this being suitable for medium to dark skintones. It can give you a white cast and make you look like a ghost.

2. This powder is not as sheer as you think. For me, it's not easy to apply this powder sheer. If you use a big fluffy powder brush (I used Le Metier de Beaute powder brush), you can try to dust it off before applying but it will still apply too much. The powder itself is so fine that it sticks in between every single brush hair. Waste of product and doesn't give a sheer and even application. This can make you look like you've got too much powder on.

How to make this work:
1. The makeup artist on TV did not use a big fluffy powder brush. NO POWDER BRUSH. She used a clean, dry, regular synthetic foundation brush. Weird, but that's how she used it. She carefully and lightly brushed down the compact with the foundation brush, dust off the excess powder and the same stroking motion was used to apply the powder to the face. It's not the usual circular motion with the powder brush but more like painting the powder onto the face.

The result I got:
It's not a super natural look. The skin is kind of on the pale side but my skin looks absolutely blurred - like photoshopped. That's the #1 reasons why it doesn't look NATURAL. My imperfections are blurred out, not emphasized and I look like I have unrealistic skin. Like a paler porcelain doll version of myself. You can still see the luminosity of my natural skin showing through the powder but still looks velvety and matte. I mean, you can hate it or love this kind of look. It's definitely a different effect but I can still love it.

You will need to powder again depending on your skin type so carry this around. It won't last all day.

I don't have fine lines so I cannot comment on how this kind of powder will play out for more mature ladies but I can guess that it probably won't work out. Although the powder is very fine-milled, it does go on the skin a bit white and I can totally see it settling into fine lines and emphasizing it.

If you want that porcelain doll look, this powder is IT. You'll give yourself that pale, blurred perfect skin effect if you apply lightly and not over-powder.

For the price of this product, if you aren't going to use a foundation brush to apply get a smaller powder brush. Don't swirl, be gentle. It will dent your pressed powder and scratch it. It's aesthetically not pleasing and a waste of expensive product.

I don't wanna look like a porcelain doll all year around so I probably won't run out the door to replace it if I ran out or lost it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by ninabedina07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't typically write product reviews but after spending quite a bit of money on this unimpressive powder I wanted to save others from experiencing similar disappointment!

I purchased this primarily as a setting powder to wear over foundation and help minimize my pores, which the product description says it does. However, instead of giving me a flawless finish it actually served to emphasize my pores. This was by far the most vexing feature because minimizing pores is precisely what the product is designed to do!

In terms of oil control, this powder has none, and I find myself getting "dewy" a lot earlier in the day when I'm wearing this powder.

I certainly don't mind paying a high price for a high-end product that performs as promised, but sadly this purchase has proven to be a very expensive misstep, as there are certainly better drugstore and high-end alternatives available that perform as expected for a fraction of the cost!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/9/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by lilypink

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I haven't reviewed anything for ages, but felt I ought to do so for this product to prevent anyone else wasting their dosh on it. I have mature-ish combi skin which is British and very pale. This gives me such a white cast that I look like I need embalming. It settles instantly into pores and lines making the whole effect very much more ageing than using no makeup at all (and after all..isn't makeup supposed to make us look better?).

I get a far better result from my years-long Fav from Clinique at rather considerably less strain on the pocket.

I understand the design of the compact has won awards but whilst pretty is annoying in that without my specs (yes I'm now that age!) it's hard to find the opening part of it..which is frustrating as I use a magnifying mirror to do my maquillage not my specs!

All in all a huge waste of money..it has no perfecting 'HD' quality at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2013 11:06:00 PM More reviews by brighteyes22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not impressed at all. For the price I expected a stand out product and this doesn't come close. It's just a simple pressed powder. That's it. You can find better at the drugstore. Honest

rated 3 of 5 on 6/12/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by anotherinnocentgirl

Bought this in my hunt for the holy grail of face powder. Packaging was nice enough though not nice enough to justify the price. In terms of its promise to 'perfect' it does'nt really deliver either. It's quite pale but the colour did go on very translucently so did'nt leave me looking like a ghost-however I should add that I'm naturally quite fair with cool undertones. I can't say it would be as translucent on darker skins. The translucency also meant it did'nt really 'perfect' my skin any more than my primer/foundation/concealer. You could see the powder sitting on my base and by lunchtime I was looking shiny. It does'nt look any different to my usual base in photographs either. I think it would be best suited to normal, flawless skin. Certainly is'nt ideal for setting make up or controlling shine. I personally wo'nt be repurchasing this as it is'nt suited to my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Bondgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have dehydrated/sensitive skin an have a very light skin tone.
This powder is lovely and non drying and has some good ingredients. Goes on very smooth and evens the complexion nicely. Although it is stated as transluscent it might be a little white for medium or darker complexions, but best try and see.
A little minus is that it does not have a brush included, so it means you have to carry and extra with you.
I cannot comment exactly on how it photographs, but once I do, I will post an update.
Not sure if I would rebuy this yet as there are one or two transluscent powders that I like more and which leave a more "silkier/glowy" and less matte look.