Sonia Kashuk Shine Luxe Lip Color

3.8

on 6/21/2015 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

If you are confused by some of the reviews out there, don't worry, I'm here to clear it up for you. I've seen these lipsticks described as "light", "heavy textured", "lots of slip", and "slightly sticky" all at once. This put me off buying them for a long time, but with emilynoel83 raving about these on youtube and Sasquatch Swatch calling these formula dupes for the Chantecaille Lip Chics, I finally caved.

The reviews are inconsistent because the product themselves are inconsistent. I got two shades, Sheer Juicy Coral and Sheer Berry. Sheer Juicy Coral is a sticky, thick formula that feels very similar to Revlon Lip Butters. It drags on the lip a little during application, rubbing lips together takes some effort, and my lips will visibly un-stick from each other when I open my mouth. Coverage is medium. There are tiny micro-shimmers in the lipstick that are not visible once applied. Sheer Berry is a lightweight, slippery formula. The lipstick glides effortlessly on the lips and is not sticky at all. Coverage is lighter than Juicy Coral, with more translucency to the formula. The formula feels like L'Oreal Colour Riche Balms with more colour, it's almost too soft/smushy and I'd be worried about it melting in the heat. Both are hydrating, Juicy Coral lasts longer than Berry.

I like both shades and will continue to use them. However, I am not happy about the inconsistency in the formula... I will not be getting any more shades because I can't be confident any new ones will be in a formula that I'd enjoy. Are the formulas different between shades? Between different batches? I just got lucky/unlucky with one of them? I'm not sure. While I'm ok with both a heavier sticky formula and a lighter slippery formula, many out there will only prefer one or the other and there is no guarantee what you might get. For this reason I can't recommend this product. At $11, there are better options at the drug store.

on 6/4/2015 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

There was nothing spectacular about this lipstick. I bought it for about $10 in the shade "sheer seashell". It's sort of like a lip butter - a cross between a lipstick and lipgloss. It feels slightly sticky, but not uncomfortably so. It's not drying, but not especially moisturizing either, so I had to apply a layer of moisturizing balm first. The color payoff is nice; it's sheer for those of us who prefer a less opaque color than traditional lipstick. It's a nice product, but sheer lipsticks like this are very easy to find these days and I'm sure you could find a better one for a lower price. Almost every major drugstore brand has a line of this type of sheer lipstick and I've found ones for half the price that aren't sticky at all.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been wanting to try these for ages, but just never got around to it. Saw Sheer Mauve at Target while I was on vacation last week and I've worn it nearly every day since! The color is not what I would call Mauve at all, more of a warm MLBB type color, which is what I was wanting anyway. The texture of these lipsticks is absolutely brilliant! The longest lasting sheer lipstick I've ever used! They are somewhat sticky, but not the thick stickiness of a lip gloss. They're thin in texture, but really cling to the lips. Finish is shiny, but not patent leather glossy, letting your natural lip color shine through. I've frequently heard them compared to Chantecaille Lip Chics, but I don't own any of those to compare. I do wish there were more colors to choose from!! I fully intend to get a couple more of these, and can definitely see myself repurchasing the one I own.

on 8/12/2014 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have seen these reviewed on YouTube and have been interested but the price puts me off a bit. I found Sheer Fuchsia on clearance at my local Target for around $7 and figured the time was right. I have to say, I really like this! The color is fantastic, exactly the type of shade that I like. Bright and pretty but not over the top, the sheerness is actually very flattering. It does have a bit of shimmer but that doesn't translate much on the lips. I also like that the color of the lipstick is clearly shown on the packaging. I do find these to be a bit sticky, which is strange but they wear decently and don't have a smell that I can discern. I'm definitely interested in trying other colors, even at the regular price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

These are FANTASTIC to say the very least...

I first found out about these from emilynoel83 (I believe thats her SN) and immediately made a trip to my nearest Target. At the time, the Sonia Kashuk line had just been revamped with the new black packaging and a lot of her old products were discontinued to make room for new goodies including the Shine Luxe line. I initially picked up Sheer Pink Lust and Sheer Berry and immediately fell in love with the latter upon initial application. The closest in my stash that is similar to these are my Revlon LBs but the SL have more of "slip". These lippies really do feel hydrating. Although they're marketed as "sheer", I feel that 2-3 swipes will give me a medium yet comfortable coverage on my lips. They really are medium level tinted lip balms imho. Great shine, wear, and color range. It does come off easily but I love reaplying my lipsticks so that's no biggy. Also, these lippies are easy to reapply( no need to wipe off previous application or use a mirror). The pink lust lippie took me a few tries before I figured out how to prep my lips to make this one look as nice as the berry one but now I love it as much as the berry one. Pink lust is definitely my everyday lippie. Today I was at Target and was browsing the make isle (of course 😝) when I decided to pick up Sheer Melon. Melon looks like a nice corally shade and will look great for summer. Overall...GOTTA HAVE IT!!!!

I bought this because I read it was a balm-like lipstick on a blog. I bought Sheer Plum which looks like a dark wine shade on the Target site but is more of a medium mauve purple in reality. The consistency reminds me a lot of a Revlon Lip Butter which for me makes neither drying nor moisturizing. I love how pigmented it is and the packaging does have a little more weight than your average drugstore lipstick.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Grey, Kinky, Other

Fantastic texture, finish, and staying power. Easily the nicest drugstore lipstick I've ever worn.

on 8/30/2013 2:17:00 AM

I must have gotten a dud or something with this lipstick, because it's way too soft/mushy to even apply without smearing it all over my face.

I bought the colour Sheer Berry when I took a day trip down to Buffalo to do some shopping. I was really excited to try it because Sonia Kashuk makeup isn't yet sold in the Targets that have opened up in Canada.

The colour is amazing, I love the look of the packaging (although the one I got seemed a bit flimsy and had some damage I didn't notice until after I opened it). But I can't wear it without ruining the lipstick and smearing it all over my face. I tried putting it in the fridge overnight when I got home, but the next morning, after 30 minutes out of the fridge, it was smushy again.

I think I could probably wear it if I put it in the fridge for 20 minutes before applying, and do that every time, but it's kind of a hassle. It sucks, because I love the colour. I can't even return it, either. I might purchase another one when Sonia Kashuk makeup comes to the Targets here, because I also bought one of her tinted lip balms and that one wasn't smushy at all and applies great.

on 7/25/2013 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

purchased this in sheer juicy coral, i am NC42 and i find coral lipsticks to be super flattering against my skin tone. i really love the sleek black hefty case and the color is wonderful, a perfect peachy pink color. the formula though, could be a bit more moisturizing. its a tad bit dry so when applying it gives a bit of a drag across the lips. after the initial swipe it gets better but i think "sheers" should have more slip to them. i would repurchase this though, the pigmentation is awesome.

on 6/16/2013 12:22:00 AM

Sonia Kashuk has always been one of my favorite 'drugstore' cosmetic brands because of the great quality, sleek packaging, & affordable prices. I paid $14 for a Luxe Shine lippie in the shade Pink Lust at Target. That's almost the price of a MAC lipstick, but you've got to keep in mind that it's worth it...& still much cheaper than Chanel, Chantecaille, ect.

I originally learned about these lippies thru MUA's beauty forums. I'm surprised there's so few reviews so far (6/15/2013) because the buzz concerning these is pretty significant. In the past, I've been lured into trendy, overrated products only to be let down. Luxe Shine Lipstick isn't one of them. I actually want to go back & get ALL of the shades.

Pink Lust is a my-lips-but-better shade. I guess you could describe it as a medium warm pink. It looks natural, yet beautiful & refined on my pale skin. The texture is smooth/creamy & glossy. If you have pigmented lips - no worries - these lippies are opaque. I fell asleep with Pink Lust on one night & woke up to my lips feeling as if I had put on my usual chapstick. I love that they are so moisturizing because I usually can't wear lipstick without having that shriveled up, granny look. (Sort of sad/pathetic considering I'm only 22). I will repurchase.

Popular Lipsticks