Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.9

Not tested on animals

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

After trying a few acid exfoliants that irritated my skin, I thought of reverting to gently manual exfoliation. I decided it would be a good idea to use a hot cloth cleanser, because the action of the cloth can act as a gently physical exfoliation.

After many skincare disappointments, I went to Boots determined to buy a tiny travel size of this cleanser. I really wasn't sure if it would be for me because of all the essential oils in it. Anyway, the lady in the counter was fabulous, cleansed my skin with this cleanser and applied tonic, serum and moisturiser on my skin. I must admit that my skin was a bit red and sore when she finished cleansing but I attributed it to the fact that she was really rough with the cloth, really scrubbing my face, whereas I am very gentle with my skin. I was also under a lot of stress having just come out of an exam. I noticed how lovely the tonic smelled and the serum was lovely with no silicone. My biggest pet hate in skincare is a silicone infused serum. I cannot understand how companies think that is acceptable. But going back to the topic, the moisturiser felt lovely on my skin, fresh, hydrating and smelled amazing. I had been using fragrance free Eucerin lotion during the day and fragrance free Eucerin cream at night, so I immediately noticed how lovely these products smelled. I ended up buying a travel try me kit (cleanser, moisturiser, tonic and mask) because she reassured me she would accept the products back if they didn't work for me. Well, as soon I have the time I will return the products...

The cleanser is really nice, yet it smells very strongly of eucalyptus which is never a good sign. I used the whole system for two days and a half and my skin got blotchy, I got lots of tiny bumps on my forehead and some red dots on the side of my chin and cheeks which I have never had before. My pores were also looking huge. I must say I used the products correctly, being careful to remove makeup before using the cleanser.

Again, I made the mistake of trying a new system all at once and so now I don't know which product it's to blame. But to be honest I don't care. I just want to return all the products and get my money back. Yes, my Eucerin moisturisers are bland and boring, but I am starting to realise more and more that if it smells good, it doesn't belong on my face. I know there is a lot of scientific evidence regarding fragrance and skin sensitivities but I have to admit that some unfragranced products have caused me trouble (Clinique, for example) whereas some fragranced products worked well. Of course it's not as black and white as that but it is a fact that some of the essential oils included in skincare don't do what it is believed that they do (or at least, no one has ever been able to prove it) yet have been found to be irritating. I am a Science student so I have access to many scientific journals, which is where I get my information from.

Just a note regarding hot water, I know many people these days think that the only way to cleanse a face properly is with cloths/flannels and hot water. I couldn't disagree more. I think hot water should never be used on one's face. It's drying and irritating. The combination of hot water and rough use of cloths to cleanse the face can cause broken capillaries.

On a positive note, I must praise Liz Earle for having a refund system in place. The beauty industry makes millions out of selling us things that don't work for us. And many companies don't even let us try before buying! I think all companies should be willing to take the products back if they don't do what they claim or if they cause skin sensitivities.

Anyway, it was a shame that this didn't work for me. I was willing to overlook the eucalyptus content (even because it is a wash off product) because the products felt so luxurious. However, I can say that in just two days and a half my skin had a turn for the worse. Back to bland but safe Eucerin I go...

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have very dry skin and so had resorted to using only micellar water for cleansing. I didn't mind using it until I went to a Liz Earle counter after remembering a blogger mention Cleanse and Polish. The advisor rubbed some in on my hand and it seemed so easy to clean away, and left my skin really soft and hydrated. Plus, I got a Christmas deal which meant I got a full sized bottle and 2 muslin cloths in a little bag for £15, which I didn't think was bad. Especially considering that the bottle will last 30 days used morning and night/ 60 days used once daily. Since using Cleanse and Polish, I've noticed that my skin isn't dry and tight as it was after using micellar water, and it is so much easier to remove makeup!! Literally just rubbing some cream in and wiping it away. No silly cotton balls needed. Best of all, my skin feels really clean but also really moisturised and smooth. I use this daily in the evening to remove my makeup. I haven't had any spots or irritation since using this.

Having combination skin, I had always made the mistake of thinking I could only use foaming/wash-off cleansers to strip the oil from my skin and avoid breakouts. However, after trying this cleanser on offer (got this along with the moisturiser, toner and eye lotion), I was amazed at how much my skin improved using a cream/balm cleanser such as this.

I love how easy this is to use, I just take a small amount, massage it over my whole face, gentle wipe it off with a muslin cloth or flannel and finish with a splash of water and it leaves my skin feeling smooth and fresh. I feel (although nice to use) the toner and eye lotion are pretty much useless but I feel the cleanser and moisturiser combo work well on my skin.

It is expensive however I find I've only been through one and a half bottle of this in a year which isn't awful and it can be more cost effective to purchase as a set since I use other products in this range.

I would say this product is also good at removing traces of makeup that my makeup remover hasn't removed (and it never burns my eyes when using around this area). However, I would not use it alone as a makeup remover.

Overall, this product has really improved my skin's texture and appearance and since using it I definitely do not suffer from breakouts as much as I did before. The cons are definitely the price for me and that the 'travel-size' 100ml version of this product is still very large and bulky so not ideal to be brought on holiday etc..

I must be one of the few people not to like this. It made me break out and did not help the breakouts I was having before I used this; it made things worse. The cloth was very abrasive, too. I felt it was rougher than necessary to get a buffing action. I did finish the product as a foot moisturiser and it worked very well for this. The pump packaging was nice, dispensing a controlled amount of product each time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Like the moisturiser, this broke me out and irritated me so badly. I think it was the combination of the cocoa butter and capric triglycerides clogging my pores and the eucalyptus essential oil that irritated me. If your skin is sensitive or even the least bit acne prone please patch test this first!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other

I was introduced to this by my Aunt several years ago and it has been one of my all time favourite products ever since then! I have the cleanse and polish, toner spray, moisturiser, and deep cleansing mask and I love them all. I like to take the time twice a week to give myself a little DIY facial using all the products and I love the smell and how luxurious they feel. Il focus on just the cleanser for some pros and cons:

Pros:
Economical formula: although pricey, if you use it right it will last longer than you'd expect. The formula is thick and creamy and one pump dispenses exactly the right amount of product so you don't waste any. A little really does go a long way

Smell: I love the light eucalyptus smell of this I think it smells luxurious and lends itself well to a weekend pamper session!

It works: I can't speak for everyone but I really feel like I've seen a very noticable improvement in my skin condition since I started using this. My skin can be a little sensitive - particularly to fragrance - and I've had no reactions or sensitivity. My face feels smooth, clean and healthy after I use this

Cons:
Price: it is a bit on the pricy side. I have a cheaper alternative too and I tend to alternate so I don't end up rebuying the whole range every 2 months as this would be way out of my budget!

Muslin cloths - Arg! They drive my boyfriend nuts because they are always hanging all over the place drying out! It is a bit of a faff having to use these as obviously you have to keep them clean and dry. I think it's worth it but some may not

I have been using Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish system for a year now and can safely say this is the best cleanser I've ever used on my face. As this has already been reviewed by many i won't harp on about the texture (creamy), smell (faint) or packaging (plain and uniform across the range). I buy this every 6 weeks and get:
1x 100ml bottle of cleanser
2x muslin cloths
1x 200ml bottle of instant boost toner
It works for me and i have combination skin that is oily on the t-zone, acne marks from my teenage years and hyperpigmentation from sun exposure. I haven't had break-outs in so long i can't honestly remember when the last one was and truly, my skin is in better shape now than in my 20's. (Go figure!).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I thought I would try this cleanser as a couple of my friends were raving about it. I bought it a couple of times because I wanted to give it some time as obviously products don't work overnight but honestly I just found it a bit meh. I originally bought it to take my makeup off as an alternative to wipes but I didn't feel like it removed all my makeup, the muslin cloths are only good for a couple of uses then when you wash them they lose softness and have to be thrown away. Also they were advertised as good for sensitive skin only I felt they irritated my skin if I left the product on for too long my skin went quite red. I think maybe they would be better for non sensitive skin but I wouldn't buy again

Well...I must be one of the only people on the planet that finds this brand super over rated. Seriously I bought the cleanser, moisturiser, toner and brightening mask and none of it does anything at all for my skin apart from make it feel like I've only washed my face with plain water.

Definintly going back to Dermalogica when I use this all up which hopefully is soon as my skin is so dry and clogged up! Useless!

This is my go-to product for my sensitive, dull and eczema prone skin- I used to nick my Mum's one until she got sick of it an bought me my own about 7 years ago. I've been using it ever since and swear by it! Don't worry about the muslin cloths- use a flannel if you like, same result. Remember not to use water that is too hot as I feel this is what strips your face, rather than the product (in response to the comments below re stripping face) I love it and would highly recommend giving it a go x

Popular Face Skincare Products