October 24, 2014 | 926 users online

Skincare - Face - Liz Earle - Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by blondeattack

Firstly, this product is amazing! I got a sample from John Lewis which was the small 50ml bottle and has lasted me around two weeks morning and evening. I have sensitive skin which means I break out and have extremely dry skin but this cleared both problems up. The creamy cleanser feels moisturising and when removed with the muslim cloth, feels exfoliated. I didn't even have to put my usual heavy duty moisturiser or sensitive skin toner with it! people have also commented on how clear and radiant my skin looks. Seriously recommend if you're looking for a product for sensitive/blemish ridden skin, however my skin does get used to skincare products quickly but this has been nothing but good to my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2014 11:09:00 AM More reviews by angelapbg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This product is an HG and I've been using it religiously for a year now. My skin has changed beyond recognition in that time.

It used to be dry with patches of eczema on my forehead and cheeks, some greasiness/blackheads on and around my nose and chin with blotching, uneven skintone. Most annoyingly, I was/still am hypersensitivity to most skin products and the cold. My skin used to flare up when I washed my face with the gentlest of cleansers so (and I now feel totally grossed out thinking about the fact)...I never used to wash my face with anything more than water!! Ever! For years...euck!

My skin was a mess and it was really getting me down. Someone recommended Liz Earle C&P and in my desperation reluctantly (due to the price) I bought it, kind of expecting it would be chucked onto my pile of failed skincare experiments after the second day.

Honestly my first week did not leave me impressed and I thought it really would be another waste. It left me feeling even more congested and like I was breaking out slightly. Determined not to give up so soon due to the cost, I did quite a lot of digging on the web at how to use hot cleansers properly and within two weeks my skin felt completely transformed.

Having used it for a year now, my skin is even, pores seem smaller, I no longer have the dry patches which I have had for YEARS and which usually this time of year start to get really bad again. The greasy areas and blackheads have disappeared. My super-sensitive skin feels so soothed by the creme and supple after cleansing - not tight at all. I genuinely enjoy washing my face before I go to bed (have only missed 1 day in a year). Here are the things I've learnt about how to make this cleanser work to its full potential:

1) I started with a 100ml pump but when that finished I bought the 200ml tube which I massively prefer - doesn't waste product at the end and you can control how much to use. I use a big pea-sized amount (less than a single pump would dispense) and this means a 200ml has lasted 9 months!!!

2) I only cleanse in the evening before going to bed. I figured out my sensitive skin does not benefit from regular 2x a day cleansing, even despite how gentle this stuff is.

3) Use on a DRY face, gently massage the cream in circular movements around the face, concentrate on any areas you get blackheads etc. Really work it on your face and keep going until your fingers stop gliding and it becomes a bit gummy. I let my hot tap run during this to run through the cold water until it's really hot for the next stage (saving the cold water for my plants - don't like water waste!)

4) I prefer just a normal flannel instead of the muslin cloths as they are more gentle and just as effective. Get a CLEAN* flannel and drench with hot water (as hot as you can go without burning your hands). Wring out the cloth so it's dryish but still hot, and with gentle circular motions buff the cream off your skin using a different part of the flannel for each new area on the face.

5) Don't apply loads of pressure, the heat and the buffing is what you need to get it all off. Again, concentrate on any areas that might get blackheads/congestion. When the cloth isn't hot anymore, wet it/wring it out again - I usually do this about 3 times per cleanse.

6) Splash with COLD water. Counterintuitively, this really helps to calm skin after cleansing.

7) follow up with the next step in your routine. I prefer to just pat dry and add my Bioderma lotion for a comfortable and clean face before bed.

* note about cloths: Don't skimp and get at least seven flannels. Then you can use a clean one everyday and wash them at the end of the week. You're thinking this is OTT but it seriously stops recontaminating your face with the bacteria that grows on your flannel next time you cleanse and will stop breakouts.

There you have it - hope that helps you get the most from this amazing cleanser and it does for you what it has done for me :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2014 12:53:00 AM More reviews by 190evo2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I never got on with this cleanser. Over the years I have regularly tried it out because the reviews have always been so glowing and its cheaper than Eve Lom, but nope, my skin looked and felt awful. Red, raw, greasy, spotty, unclean, generally yuk. But then I had a eureka moment, the instructions say you should splash face with cold water to close the pores afterwards, something I've avoided due to sensitivity and thread veins. But I gave it a go and voila, this cleanser transformed into a HG. My skin, rather immodestly, looks amazing. I went back to avoiding cold water for a week to see if it is this step my skin needs and my skin went back to being a greasy spotty unclean slick. And so far, despite the coldest of water, no thread veins have appeared. Joy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by korean

I can see why this is a UK cult product. It works. Very effective at cleansing without stripping. Gets all the makeup and sunscreen off. I use it only at the end of the day and in the shower. Works as well as dhc cleasing oil. This is not a liquid. It is more like a cream/balm. One pump, rubbed all over the face, then use a hot cloth muslim that wipes it all away.

ingredient list has some natural ingredients, but is by no means an all natural product. No parabens. Not scent- free, but no artificial icky smell either. Light herby scent, which does not give me a headache like most products do.

Kinda of a pain to have to always wash the face muslim, but small price to pay for a grt product.

You can purchase it online, free S&H.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2014 3:20:00 AM More reviews by Runsius

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Clogged my skin badly!!!
After washing still could feel product sitting on my skin.((
Not recomend for people with acne prone sensitive skin.
Going back to use Lavera Basic Sensitive clenser.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by alina08

This is a nice, lightweight cleansing milk which can be buffed away with a muslin cloth. It is not as moisturizing as Ren or Balm Balms cleansing balms, but it washes off with no residue. I like how the cleanse and polish cleans and leaves my skin feeling smooth. I am not a fan of the eucalyptus scent, but it is tolerable. I would repurchase this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 3:41:00 PM More reviews by DieYoungStayPretty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

$27.50 for 3.3oz pump, $40 for 6.7oz tube

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

This was my first hot cloth cleanser, so I have a soft spot for it :) Despite what they say, this is not completely natural, it just has some natural essential oils.

Anyway, this is a great cleanser to start with to get you used to using cream cleansers on dry skin and removing with a hot cloth. The starter kits, which are a couple dollars more than just the pump or tube, include some of their muslin cloths (which are useless after a few washes). I prefer to use a regular baby washcloth that you can get in packs of 7 from Target for about $4.99 and last a long time and don't lose their exfoliating ability. I've bought this about 3x and go back to it frequently. I just finished a 6.7oz tube and will try something different just cos I get bored easily and like to try different cream cleansers.

So to use it, you apply about a quarter size dollop and massage it well into your face and remove with the muslin cloth or a cloth of your choice after running it under hand-hot water. You would repeat the process if you are wearing makeup. It feels a bit minty but nothing like the "tingly fresh" burn of Neutrogena or Clean & Clear. I mean, I can take it over your eyes to remove makeup without it hurting. I've used it this way as well as a morning cleanse the same way, without double cleansing with it in the morning.

All in all this is a no frills cleanser, tried and true and loved by many who have MINIMAL TO NO SENSITIVITY TO ESSENTIAL OILS. If you are prone to break outs when using cocoa butter or get irritated by the oils in this, avoid and use Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser found at Target or Ulta as it lacks the essential oils but has the same cocoa butter. For an even more organic version, try the Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm which comes in a jar and is full of organic ingredients such as jojoba, olive oil, rose hip oil, sweet almond oil and shea butter instead of cocoa butter. Both those options are also less costly than Liz Earle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2014 7:04:00 AM More reviews by Shazzer1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm newly converted to this. I bought it for going on holidays. Taking one bottle is a lot easier than carrying multiple bottles of cleansers, toners, eye makeup removers, exfoliators... Right? This stuff is amazing and I truly believe it does everything I mentioned above. It is soothing to apply, it melts away foundation and eye makeup and the muslin cloth removes everything beautifully without leaving your skin feel either tight and bothered or tacky. My skin has improved since I started using it and I love the convenience of it. It takes a lot to get me excited about a makeup remover, but this is lovely and I would recommend it to most people. A little bit goes a long way.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2014 7:08:00 AM More reviews by ConstructiveCritique

This cleanser was first recommended to me by a colleague in the office who on asking what facial products I used, was dismayed to learn Iíd never heard of Liz Earlís products. She promoted that it did everything from clearing up warts to singing and dancing. To keep her quiet, I went on to the Liz Earl site to read about it for myself; it sounded fab but then any good marketing specialist can make anything look attractive. I compromised by buying the ĎTry meí kit to satisfy my curiosity whilst not breaking the bank.
The cleanser when it arrived was in a small 50 ml pump. It was thick and creamy without being greasy, and smelled of herbs. I tried it with the muslin cloth and was pleasantly surprised at the results: it left my skin feeling clean from the inside, not tight, but best of all, feeling refreshed.

I began using it after that and noticed the change in my skin texture. Iíve had rough skin before due to oily breakouts but these were fading. Also, my skin felt better and certainly looked more even in tone. The best bit was cleaning around the eyebrow area, the muslin cloth got rid of everything which water and cleanser alone never manage.

Eight years on, I still use this cleanser once a day. I have no acne or scars and my skin is an even tone. While itís not the cheapest cleanser out there, it can be made to go further if you buy the 200 ml tube. You know exactly how much is less and it last longer than two bottles of the 100 ml pump.

Itíll be a lie to say itís suitable for all skin types Ė it isnít, but those of my friends who tried it who donít have very sensitive skin have converted to it. One friends skin however didnít take to it, so I advise you to check the ingredients strongly before you buy. Otherwise it can be a costly mistake.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by erikakakaka

I am mega fussy with the products that I put on my face as I'm very prone to both breakouts and sensitivity. This keeps my skin perfectly clear and balanced and breakout free! I have repurchased this 4 times now so I think that speaks for iteself.
Not tested on animals either, which is a bonus.